12 August fixtures

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
We generally have faith in our management to spot players with potential who will improve with the right coaching and support - Mullin, Iredale, Ironside, Smith, Jones were all players we were told weren't good enough for League Two, but all did pretty well.
Stevens may let us down, our management don't have a 100% success record, but we'll give him time and see how he goes.
Ripley is one of the best keepers in this division, I can agree on that...
I hope both Stevens and Stoney do well, Stoney all be it we got away with two glaring errors in the POF was part of a promotion side, oddly he had to come in because Thomas Holy was unable to save anything (especially low in the corner!) but he went on to win promotion with Carlisle and I think had the most clean sheets in L2?

Stevens clearly had loads of potential but struggled after illness so wish both well.

AmberRich

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
We generally have faith in our management to spot players with potential who will improve with the right coaching and support - Mullin, Iredale, Ironside, Smith, Jones were all players we were told weren't good enough for League Two, but all did pretty well.
Stevens may let us down, our management don't have a 100% success record, but we'll give him time and see how he goes.
I don't want to be pedantic, and Bonner certainly does have an eye for players who haven't reached their potential and then getting the best out of them. However out of those players only Iredale was deemed not good enough for the EFL before he joined, remember Carlisle fans being very dismissive of him and their commentators couldn't understand how much he'd improved when he played against them for us.

Mullin before he joined was a decent league 2 striker for a midtable club. Ironside we and a bunch of others were tracking in his Kidderminster days and his career trajectory was actually on the up, his first season in the EFL and he did ok for a very poor Macclesfield side. Smith was wanted by multiple league 1 clubs before he joined us permanently, and Jones was one of the best centre backs in League 2 the season before he joined us.

They certainly improved under Bonner and we got the best out of them, however I feel like our fan base likes to rewrite history a bit in regards to these signings. They weren't rejects or anything like that they were competent footballers who Bonner got the best out of.

As for Stevens, he was a competent young goalkeeper a few years ago, his confidence has taken a hit and he's had a tough time at Port Vale. A bit similar to when we signed Iredale I suppose. A tough time at one club doesn't define a career though. He's not been tested so far but he hasn't done anything to worry me.

Marked Ox

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United

Prior to the season Jack Stevens got Covid quite badly and Glandular Fever, he was excellent after he got his chance. Arsenal were showing interest in him from that spell. I hope he gets his mojo back.

Arbury

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge united
Prior to the season Jack Stevens got Covid quite badly and Glandular Fever, he was excellent after he got his chance. Arsenal were showing interest in him from that spell. I hope he gets his mojo back.
I’ve got to say I like what I’ve seen so far, very early days still but he’s pulled off some good saves.

KTF

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
I’ve got to say I like what I’ve seen so far, very early days still but he’s pulled off some good saves.

KTF

He just needs to recover his confidence and he'll be fine, you don't play as often as he has at this level without having something. I just don't think last year with us was the right environment for him to do it.

Soz

Reaction score
Supports
PV
he started off ok-ish for us...it wasn't like he was making glaring errors every week, it just got to the point where you started thinking maybe he should have got a bit closer to that one, or maybe he should have done a bit better with another one and then you look back and realise that teams are having 1-2 chances a game and scoring 1-2 goals and wonder what he actually does.

i know it's illegal for us to say anything positive or negative about port vale without the cambridge gestapo getting involved but there's no doubt in my mind that we'd have conceded more than 9 this season with jack stevens in goal.

AmberRich

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Impossible we've been led to believe he's the worst goalkeeper to ever exist, and we are going to concede seven clangers each game.

Soz

Reaction score
Supports
PV
cambridge fans are fucking crazy :lol:

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers

KTF
He wont need to on Saturday we are missing so many easy chances

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Ripley is one of the best keepers in the league but anything written on here from Port Vale fans we must take with a pinch of salt.

They were relegated with 7 games to go last season despite no difference between league two and this league, along with having the best striker in the league.

So please forgive me for simply accepting you have the best keeper 3 days after picking 7 balls out his net.

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
I don't want to be pedantic, and Bonner certainly does have an eye for players who haven't reached their potential and then getting the best out of them. However out of those players only Iredale was deemed not good enough for the EFL before he joined, remember Carlisle fans being very dismissive of him and their commentators couldn't understand how much he'd improved when he played against them for us.

Mullin before he joined was a decent league 2 striker for a midtable club. Ironside we and a bunch of others were tracking in his Kidderminster days and his career trajectory was actually on the up, his first season in the EFL and he did ok for a very poor Macclesfield side. Smith was wanted by multiple league 1 clubs before he joined us permanently, and Jones was one of the best centre backs in League 2 the season before he joined us.

They certainly improved under Bonner and we got the best out of them, however I feel like our fan base likes to rewrite history a bit in regards to these signings. They weren't rejects or anything like that they were competent footballers who Bonner got the best out of.

As for Stevens, he was a competent young goalkeeper a few years ago, his confidence has taken a hit and he's had a tough time at Port Vale. A bit similar to when we signed Iredale I suppose. A tough time at one club doesn't define a career though. He's not been tested so far but he hasn't done anything to worry me.
Ironside’s career certainly wasn’t on the up with 6 goals in 33 for Macclesfield. When he signed all their fans said he was awful apart from taking pens.

Mullin wasn’t fancied at Tranmere and out of favour but to be fair to their fans they couldn’t believe they’d let him go.

Iredale as you said was hammered by Carlisle fans and the local press.

Jones was offered a new deal by Northampton who had just been relegated but no one in league one fancied him so you could argue he was another project of Bonner’s.

We are three games in so far and I can see good in some of the players we have been told are shit but it’s early days. We have one of the best up and coming managers that most in this league would take so I trust he’ll get the best out of the most of his signings this summer.

Soz

Reaction score
Supports
PV
Ripley is one of the best keepers in the league but anything written on here from Port Vale fans we must take with a pinch of salt.

They were relegated with 7 games to go last season despite no difference between league two and this league, along with having the best striker in the league.

So please forgive me for simply accepting you have the best keeper 3 days after picking 7 balls out his net.
you are the only person on this forum who has said any of that. the front of someone who has to make stuff up to show how untrustworthy vale fans are is mental.

its even more mental when you accept that ripley is one of the best keepers in the league but still have to try and paint it as vale fans unanimously stating he is THE best (which has not happened once, the only one saying thatvis you). good goalkeepers can still concede lots. harping on about "he conceded 7 so cant be the best" is playground stuff.

and you lot come out with plenty of your own shite so really dont have a leg to stand on, people just dont pull you up on it because no one has a weird grudge like you lot have developed

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Have a day off will ya. You lot rocked up to this forum telling us there was no difference in the league and Wilson was going to give nightmares to league one defences.

You don’t like the fact I’m pulling you or your fans up for it and try to twist it like I’ve made this shit up.

I’m not the only fan on here to pull your lot up on it and I won’t be the last. You are a very emotional bunch and I get it because let’s face it, there is fuck all else to do in Stoke.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Have a day off will ya. You lot rocked up to this forum telling us there was no difference in the league and Wilson was going to give nightmares to league one defences.

You don’t like the fact I’m pulling you or your fans up for it and try to twist it like I’ve made this shit up.

I’m not the only fan on here to pull your lot up on it and I won’t be the last. You are a very emotional bunch and I get it because let’s face it, there is fuck all else to do in Stoke.
Just want to pull you up on something. Yes, Stoke is a bit of a dump in parts but it's on the edge of some of the finest countryside in the UK. I live 5 miles from Burslem but also 5 miles from the start of the Peak District. Honestly, I have had friends come from different parts of the country and they can't believe how beautiful it is.

I've worked in Cambridge before. Yes, the centre is nice (not as nice as Oxford), but the suburbs make Burslem look like Beverly Hills! Also, the surrounding countryside is some of the flattest and dullest in the country. Must be proper grim in winter.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
you are the only person on this forum who has said any of that. the front of someone who has to make stuff up to show how untrustworthy vale fans are is mental.

its even more mental when you accept that ripley is one of the best keepers in the league but still have to try and paint it as vale fans unanimously stating he is THE best (which has not happened once, the only one saying thatvis you). good goalkeepers can still concede lots. harping on about "he conceded 7 so cant be the best" is playground stuff.

and you lot come out with plenty of your own shite so really dont have a leg to stand on, people just dont pull you up on it because no one has a weird grudge like you lot have developed
One Vale fan said there was little difference in the leagues and then clarified it regarding the better sides have that 2-3 extra players of quality which is a relatively fair assessment.

Our manager said Ripley is the best in the league, I even stated I felt Trafford was last season but Ripper is one of the best (which is generally agreed upon).

Wilson when fit is quality, his touch as we know and vision is well above this level hence the level's he has played at... hes just never fit, (Derby and Plymouth found out the quality he does possess). Not sure the issue there.

Cambridge fans have a real bee in their bonnet about us for some reason. They used to cream themselves over Luke Hannant FFS.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Just want to pull you up on something. Yes, Stoke is a bit of a dump in parts but it's on the edge of some of the finest countryside in the UK. I live 5 miles from Burslem but also 5 miles from the start of the Peak District. Honestly, I have had friends come from different parts of the country and they can't believe how beautiful it is.

I've worked in Cambridge before. Yes, the centre is nice (not as nice as Oxford), but the suburbs make Burslem look like Beverly Hills! Also, the surrounding countryside is some of the flattest and dullest in the country. Must be proper grim in winter.
I am from Leicestershire so not Stoke based but its got some lovely places around it, the villages are generally beautiful and usually if I need to pop Vale we sometimes drive out to Ashbourne (keeps the wife happy) and the Moorlands are stunning.

Working Class City but no worse than Leicester/Sheffield/Derby etc in area's in that respect.

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
One Vale fan said there was little difference in the leagues and then clarified it regarding the better sides have that 2-3 extra players of quality which is a relatively fair assessment.

Our manager said Ripley is the best in the league, I even stated I felt Trafford was last season but Ripper is one of the best (which is generally agreed upon).

Wilson when fit is quality, his touch as we know and vision is well above this level hence the level's he has played at... hes just never fit, (Derby and Plymouth found out the quality he does possess). Not sure the issue there.

Cambridge fans have a real bee in their bonnet about us for some reason. They used to cream themselves over Luke Hannant FFS.

Hannant was excellent in a team that won promotion. You lot were telling us you had the better deal in Amoo but you just wouldn’t listen to us that he was made of glass.

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United

Stoke is only a bit of a dump and Cambridge is flat and dull. You’ve heard it here first chaps.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Is anyone familiar with the phrase flogging a dead horse? The majority of the exchanges on the last couple of pages on this thread and the midweek one are a pretty good exhibition of that. Might just be me getting old but it's a bit fucking daft.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Hannant was excellent in a team that won promotion. You lot were telling us you had the better deal in Amoo but you just wouldn’t listen to us that he was made of glass.
19/20 Amoo was outstanding for us. Don't recall him being overly injury riddled with us, then DC decided to shove him up front in our promotion season so dropped down the pecking order (largely as we didn't play wingers in a 3-5-2 and he isn't a wing back)

Soz

Reaction score
Supports
PV

id love to put it to bed but im not letting your bullshit go unchallenged anymore. you take one comment from one person, exaggerate it completely out of context and then attack vale fans asba group with it. its all made up and you sound silly as fuck with your playground rules

if we play by your lots rules then last year we arent allowed to say we think we will stay up (which morphed into us saying we will be playoffs and theres not much between the leagues) yet we arent allowes to say we were in a relegation battle either

this season we are pulled up for one person saying in their OPINION that ripley is the best keeper. apparently we arent allowed that opibion as he is only one of the best not the best because he conceded 7 once.

stop making shit up and ill stop calling it out. its boring as fuck and especiqlly frustratimg when you invent my opinion for me and tell me i cant have it.

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
19/20 Amoo was outstanding for us. Don't recall him being overly injury riddled with us, then DC decided to shove him up front in our promotion season so dropped down the pecking order (largely as we didn't play wingers in a 3-5-2 and he isn't a wing back)
Amoo was very stop start for you in the second season due to muscular injuries.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Stoke is only a bit of a dump and Cambridge is flat and dull. You’ve heard it here first chaps.
It is though isn't it? Stoke may be a dump but I live in the Staffordshire Moorlands, so my only reason to go in is either for work purposes or Vale. It's had a rough ride has Stoke, once a highly prosperous area full of wealthy industries, it's been decimated by foreign imports to the point where the only thing that seems to prosper is Spice. Some of the friendliest and most welcoming people you will ever meet though. I travel down south a lot with work and there's very few places where people are welcoming.

Went to Chatteris for work not too long ago for work, nice little place but fuck me I could not cope with the surrounding countryside...miles and miles of flat nothingness. Opposite where I live, I can walk up a hill and see the Peak District, Cheshire, Shropshire and even the Welsh hills. Apart from maybe some parts of Scotland and Yorkshire, I wouldn't swap it for the world.

dwightyorke

Reaction score
Supports
Bergkamp10
I don't even support Cambridge or vale but I'm going block all these Cambridge fans as there just absolute dick heads. You can help me out by replying or quoting this message to make it easier for me to block you all.

AmberRich

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
It is though isn't it? Stoke may be a dump but I live in the Staffordshire Moorlands, so my only reason to go in is either for work purposes or Vale. It's had a rough ride has Stoke, once a highly prosperous area full of wealthy industries, it's been decimated by foreign imports to the point where the only thing that seems to prosper is Spice. Some of the friendliest and most welcoming people you will ever meet though. I travel down south a lot with work and there's very few places where people are welcoming.

Went to Chatteris for work not too long ago for work, nice little place but fuck me I could not cope with the surrounding countryside...miles and miles of flat nothingness. Opposite where I live, I can walk up a hill and see the Peak District, Cheshire, Shropshire and even the Welsh hills. Apart from maybe some parts of Scotland and Yorkshire, I wouldn't swap it for the world.
I mean your comparing Chatteris which is closer to Peterborough than Cambridge to something that's albeit near Stoke yet still not Stoke, so not really sure that's a fair comparison.

Most desirable places in the county are Cambridge itself, Ely, and the towns/villages towards the south or west. The fens are a bit of a backwash really, they do have webbed feet after all.

I don't mind Stoke or the area around it to be honest, I've got some good memories from there. Cambridge isn't perfect, in fact it's run horrifically yet despite this, and for various reasons, it's still one the fastest growing and one of the most desired places in the country.

Anyway this whole comparing places is stupid, because you ask someone from Fulbourn or Grantchester or somewhere and they'll probably say they love it and defend it tooth and nail just like someone from Endon or Keele would.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowper

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!