2016/17 National League North

AndyPark

Reaction score
Supports
Darlington
Altrincham 2-2 Darlington.

Thought we edged the game overall, just didn't create enough in the final third. The referee had a mare in my opinion for both teams, seemed very inconsistent with his decisions.
Blatant penalty for Altricham rightly given and I assume he gave ours on the basis of we got f**k all from him all day. Soon as we got back to 2-2, we should have had another pen as Portas was wiped clean out by the Alty defender.

Overall, happy with the draw. Not a bad start to the season, decent little boozer next to the ground with friendly staff.

All the best for the season!

Alty Pieman

Reaction score
Supports
Alty
Cant disagree with that summary overall, Alty did create far more chances second half and the 95th min penalty was never one, but the one after he didnt give maybe was! You decide,....
Just to mention that Darlo should have had a man sent off, Darlo bench agreed, he got a yellow for elbowing Alty player in the face and the ref bottled that as well. Poor ref.

Last edited:

SamScfc

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport
Twitter
@samcharnock94
I only really support Carlisle. I moved to Manchester in march and just cannot afford, nor have time to go to Carlisle every other Sat.

Left me a choice of being an armchair fan (no chance) or following someone local.

With only 250 fans at conf north level and not a bankrolled team I felt Curzon need new fans more than other conf north sides so went with them.

Seems I brought them the luck!

A fair enough, good that you're supporting the local team.

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
Already a bit of unrest on the Alty forum. I was bit cheesed off at the time (only natural with a 95th minute penalty equaliser), but it's difficult to know what to expect, watching your team start with 7 debutants, playing a newly-promoted team you've never seen before.

Good turnout by Darlington btw, delaying the reality of National League North crowds until next week, when Fylde come on a Tuesday night.
Have you guys got any kind of pattern of play under Young yet?

eightiesrobin

Reaction score
Supports
Altrincham
I've only Saturday and two pre-season friendlies to go on, but it appears he has assembled a pretty unglamorous but hard-working squad - he's signed a few players from the lower leagues, including one from Wales.

Saturday was a bit of an odd game - a bit direct, not much width and a few players out of position. He used his subs fairly early, which was refreshing after a few years of Sinnott's procrastination.

I really don't know - it could go either way (Chester or County). I can't really see tons of goals, and he has already signed a young Burnley striker on loan. He's apparently very pacy - I hope he can finish, because Hobson and Hattersley (both ex-County?) look very slow and a short of confidence / fitness.

AnimoEtFide

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
Already a bit of unrest on the Alty forum. I was bit cheesed off at the time (only natural with a 95th minute penalty equaliser), but it's difficult to know what to expect, watching your team start with 7 debutants, playing a newly-promoted team you've never seen before.

Good turnout by Darlington btw, delaying the reality of National League North crowds until next week, when Fylde come on a Tuesday night.

Seven debutants a game sounds about average for a Young side :whistle:

I think Young has an eye for a decent player, and he seems to have some good contacts through which you might pick up some decent loan signings (thinking in particular about the Everton lads we got last year). The squad we started off with last year was, with the exception of a few lemons, actually pretty decent, a fair few of which featured in our upturn of form in the second half of the season. However, these were probably players he had had been scouting out the whole time he was out of the game. Where he really needs to prove himself is how to respond and adapt when form declines and the injuries build up and there's nothing left in the budget to go out and get more players. From what I can tell he led a bit of a charmed life at Chester storming through the divisions, until things got tricky in the Conference National then he got the sack (or stepped down, can't remember). At County things went from excellent to awful very quickly and only continued to get worse as he brought in pretty ropey players in week after week. It was obvious he was panicking and there was no actual plan to turn things around. However, whether that was because he was put under additional unnecessary pressure by our ridiculous 'Nothing But Promotion' mantra last season I don't know. If Alty keep up the appearance at least of being somewhat patient (even if in reality the expectation is promotion) then he might show that he's learnt something.

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
I've only Saturday and two pre-season friendlies to go on, but it appears he has assembled a pretty unglamorous but hard-working squad - he's signed a few players from the lower leagues, including one from Wales.

Saturday was a bit of an odd game - a bit direct, not much width and a few players out of position. He used his subs fairly early, which was refreshing after a few years of Sinnott's procrastination.

I really don't know - it could go either way (Chester or County). I can't really see tons of goals, and he has already signed a young Burnley striker on loan. He's apparently very pacy - I hope he can finish, because Hobson and Hattersley (both ex-County?) look very slow and a short of confidence / fitness.
A loan striker from the premier league - true to form.

See, we started last season as a solid hard working side without a pattern of play, but then as other teams progressed and gelled as a unit, we just stagnated before Young hit the panic button and started messing around with the only decent part of the team - the defence.

I thought Hobson was awful when he was with us (he seemed to get away with it with the majority of our fans for some reason) and Hattersley needs a really good targetman alongside him to get the best out of him.

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
First Alfreton goal should have been given as offside under the new more complicated rules, and the second goal came from a foul throw.

What in the new rules states that our first goal shouldnt have stood? Looked like a perfectly good goal to me. Westcarr was clever and showed good vision to let the ball run on to Dan Bradley, who came from deep and I dont believe Westcarr interfered with play.

Watching the highlights again heaton`s throw on our second did look a foul throw.

Harrier94

Reaction score
Supports
Kidderminster Harriers
Brackley for us tonight, am I right in saying they've improved on their side from last year? Seen a couple of post's that think they'll be fighting for playoff's but the league last season showed them just surviving.

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
Brackley for us tonight, am I right in saying they've improved on their side from last year? Seen a couple of post's that think they'll be fighting for playoff's but the league last season showed them just surviving.
Yeah. They looked to have made a few useful signings and even signed a couple of players from Sollihull`s title winning squad. Gaz Dean and somebody else I think.

eightiesrobin

Reaction score
Supports
Altrincham
A loan striker from the premier league - true to form.

See, we started last season as a solid hard working side without a pattern of play, but then as other teams progressed and gelled as a unit, we just stagnated before Young hit the panic button and started messing around with the only decent part of the team - the defence.

I thought Hobson was awful when he was with us (he seemed to get away with it with the majority of our fans for some reason) and Hattersley needs a really good targetman alongside him to get the best out of him.

I followed NY's progress at County quite closely last year, as I'm a Stopfordian, I read the Express and Yellowboard, and my son has a few County-supporting mates at school. I hope NY doesn't repeat the dose at Alty.

I hope Hobson comes good, but he is slow, and looks a bit warm and cuddly for a striker.

Harrier94

Reaction score
Supports
Kidderminster Harriers
And back down to earth. Awful performance run by a crap ref. We don't seem to have any back up plan when things aren't going wrong.

eightiesrobin

Reaction score
Supports
Altrincham
I'm already starting to get a bad feeling.

Hannigan stretchered off, probably out for weeks, Reeves left on the bench for Hobson and the new kid, no full backs on show, couldn't defend a lead again, and the keeper is an utter liability. To top it all off, Halifax's equaliser scored by Jordan Sinnott, the universal scapegoat of the Alty forum when he played for us. 3 wins in the last 26 league games, and work in the morning.

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Curzon Ashton....and Carlisle
Harriers got too cocky from sat by looks of it, brought down with massive bump. May do them good though in the end.

Huge game for Curzon tomorrow at BPA need to just perform, win loss or draw, but need to show sat was a one off.

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
Alfreton 4-0 Gainsborough (Westcarr 2, Bradley 6, 33 Smith 85)

WOW! We were fantastic from minute 1 (literally) tonight against a shockingly poor Gainsborough side who looked in serious trouble on tonight's showing!

We dominated throughout and it could have been 6 or 7. Gainsborough were caught so many times short at the back on the break it was ridiculous. Dan Bradley MOTM again. 3 goals and 2 assists for Dan so far! He has been superb.

It was a great team effort too. Fabian Spiess did everything asked off him, Cecil Nyoni had a great game and Wes |Harding looks a hell of a player. He was faultless.

The referee was embarrassing but other than that no complaints at all 7 goals in 2 games so far!. Hope for more of the same come Saturday at home to strugglers Curzon Ashton.

Harrier94

Reaction score
Supports
Kidderminster Harriers
Harriers got too cocky from sat by looks of it, brought down with massive bump. May do them good though in the end.

Huge game for Curzon tomorrow at BPA need to just perform, win loss or draw, but need to show sat was a one off.

Some of our fans think you are destined for relegation. But not seeing the game on Saturday I dunno the big difference between the 2 games.

Ellis

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County

Hannigan stretchered off, probably out for weeks, Reeves left on the bench for Hobson and the new kid, no full backs on show, couldn't defend a lead again, and the keeper is an utter liability. To top it all off, Halifax's equaliser scored by Jordan Sinnott, the universal scapegoat of the Alty forum when he played for us. 3 wins in the last 26 league games, and work in the morning.

Hope he turns out good for you as much as I am not a fan of Young, but what you described there sounds like history repeating itself.

Early days yet though. Looks like Young doesn't like his goal scoring strikers..

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
Finally we beat Stalybridge at Bower Fold and go top of the league in the process.

First half the home side slightly edged with the usual hoof ball and dirty tactics you expect to see from Wilson's Stalybridge side, they created a few decent chances from corners and long throws but couldn't put any of them away, we were struggling to get the ball down on the whole, but then just before half-time Courtney Meppen-Walter smashed one in from distance to give us the lead.

At the start of the second half we started to impose ourselves and win more of the physical battles and were looking pretty comfortable. Odejayi put himself forward for a "potential miss of the season" when he inexplicably missed from a couple of yards when set up by a Stalybridge defender and soon after we were made to pay when Jimmy Ball worked himself some space and smashed home in very similar fashion to CMW.

Only a fantastic Hinchliffe save stopped Stalybridge taking an unlikely lead a minute later, but after that County turned on the style with wave after wave of attacks resulting in two goals, another sitter being missed and the woodwork being struck. Substitutes Amis and Spencer were very effective and those two linked up for the 3rd goal which came with some controversy as the ref waved play on despite Celtic's Chalmers laying in the centre circle with a head injury. The ref obviously reeling from his mistake gave the home side a penalty in stoppage time that the impressive Hinchliffe kept out.

To think we were worried that we didn't have enough goals in the team and we've scored seven in the opening two games.

Last edited:

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County

Halifax are the favourites for the league - I thought you would be happy with a point?

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Some of our fans think you are destined for relegation. But not seeing the game on Saturday I dunno the big difference between the 2 games.

play like they did on sat most of season and Curzon would join that small group of non-league teams that have horrific seasons with -100 odd goal differences.

but i think a big major factor in saturday's result was Curzon play an all passing game with a small side (hardly any tall or strong players at all) and play the ball out from the back constantly.

Your side had much better players doing the exact same game, all full time, much more stronger and with pace. You closed us down outside our own box and it worked a treat because i think 3 maybe 4 of the goals were scored from Curzon giving the ball away to your team while trying to pass the ball out.

but other sides here will play route one, others will play a mix of long ball and passing, some will make sure to get ball clear THEN play, the positive aspect for Curzon is that alot of the other sides won't have the quality pushing right on them so they will get more time and space to bring the ball out of defence or that is the hope (or else they will have a horrific season)

but maybe it will give you a jolt to work harder in coming weeks and do you good to get the bad result in early.

eightiesrobin

Reaction score
Supports
Altrincham
Halifax are the favourites for the league - I thought you would be happy with a point?

Not so much the result, more the strange formations, and the frankly bizarre decision to leave out Reeves (150+ goals for the club) for an 18 year old who literally won't have met his team mates until the day, and Craig Hobson.

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
Not so much the result, more the strange formations, and the frankly bizarre decision to leave out Reeves (150+ goals for the club) for an 18 year old who literally won't have met his team mates until the day, and Craig Hobson.
See I could possibly understand leaving out Reeves if he had switched to a lone striker, as you often need someone with different attributes in that role, but dropping him while playing two up top does seem strange.

I notice he always describing the squad as "young" every chance he gets despite there being quite a mix of experience and youth.

A

Alty

Reeves is no spring chicken anymore. Maybe he can't play 2 games per week?

Just theorising.

I'm actually reasonably encouraged by our start against two sides who'll be in and around the promotion race.

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Oh god 1-0 down at Bradford after 5 mins.....

Why do I get that feeling I have picked wrong season to choose Curzon....ah well we were about 4-0 down at this time on sat so its improvement

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
I was going to say 2-0 after only 12 mins BUT WE SCORED.

2-1 and hopefully some confidence to try and level it up

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
2-2 now and Curzon all over BPA. Heck if ever a comeback was needed it was here. At 2 down I was thinking of a frightening season for Curzon

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
3-2 Curzon after a pen.

Fantastic comeback so far and enormous morale booster if win is achieved

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Well it went 3-3 but Curzon scored soon after to make it 4-3.

Typical I miss this!

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
4-4 in injury time. Curzon must sort their defence and quick to avoid a relegation battle

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
4-4 in injury time. Curzon must sort their defence and quick to avoid a relegation battle

10 goals conceded in 2 games and next up us who have scored 7 so far and absolutely crushed Gainsborough. Could well be a similar score Saturday!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scotox

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!
4K UK IPTV