How was the transfer for you?

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
Many of us would probably want to get rid of the January transfer season, but I am interested how well or badly you did from it this year? An article in the Plymouth Harold today suggested it was one of our best for years, though the reason seemed to be based more that we did not lose the crown jewels. Certainly, we did not have the bizarre spectacle of last year where on the last day we were expecting to have Andy Kellett for the rest of the season to be gazumped by Man U. Who can often say that?

I would rate us at a C+/B- and that really because of the loss of Purrington. That night we changed our formation, had a left back not yet fit and had three centre backs and they did not seem to communicate. Guess what? We lost, no surprise there. We are very thin at left back (it is probably the only position that we are). Had we not lost Ben I would have had at us at B/B+.

While none of the incoming are in themselves going to immediately have the opposition quaking in their sock-boots, I do think that collectively we have upped a grade, and the squad is one player up.

The first good bit of business, and this has not happened in recent years, is that we kept our two loanees, so their is consistency in the team. We needed a bit more strength in midfield, bit more up front and a winger. And we got those. The extra centre back was initially a surprise. Most of the new players have played at, or directly come from, league 1 so that is a positive sign. Blissett looks a handful, and Ryan Taylor has a decent pedigree at this level. Sarcevic if he can get fit and work with Carey could be very interesting. Or it may simply not work out, they like other midfield combinations the whole is less than the parts. Sokolik at the back we need to give time, but he has looked a bit shaky so far in an area where previous we were rock solid. Matt Kennedy is 22 which is a bit old for a loanee, but he has played much higher, so maybe he is the bit of the puzzle we have been missing.

In terms of the losses it could have been worse, Purrington is a blow, but at least Carey, Threlkeld, Songoo and Bradley have stayed. It is good Rooney has a chance of more first team football. Either he'll come back from Hartlepool having bagged a load, or will be on his way out next year. Goodwillie clearly raises issues and I do not think it is right to discuss this in football terms. Osbourne for whatever reason did not work out, he was probably one of our higher earners, so him moving is probably right for him and us.

The other thing is that this month has brought in money that might help keep key players for next year. So overall a step in the right direction, rather than a head over heels moment. How was it for you?

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
For us, not good.

Our first choice left back is out with a long-term injury, we had two reserve left backs but chose to loan one out and release the other and didn't bring in any left back, so we now have no left backs at all until Grainger returns.

Our top scorer went to Bradford and to replace him we brought in a loanee who played twenty-odd games for Shrewsbury in the first half of the season, scoring zero.

We also released batch of squad players but haven't really brought many in leaving us with what Keith Curle thinks is the smallest number of senior players of any of the 92 (don't know if that is true).

mowgli

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe Wanderers
Very happy with our signings especially Sam Saunders on an 18 month deal. Gape signing from Southampton was a great coup as our midfield was looking a bit light. Cowan-Hall signing for free on a 2&1/2 year deal means the only place we may struggle is left back if Joe Jacobson gets injured.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
I'm not quite as negative as shoddy about this (believe it or not) here goes...

Out: (7)
Russ Penn
(not getting a game)
Joe McKee (not getting a game)
Kevin Wright (not getting a game)
David Atkinson (not getting a game)
Derek Asamoah (not the player he was)
Mark Ellis (shite & not been playing)
Charlie Wyke (top scorer so big loss)

In: (5)
Gary Liddle
(big improvement to what we shipped out)
James Bailey (should be an improvement on McKee)
John O'Sullivan (Think he'll be decent)
Jamie Proctor (good player but big shoes to fill replacing Wyke)
George Waring (not expecting much but you never know with young loans)

I think on the whole we've brought in better than what we've shipped out, Wyke being the obvious exception to that. Most players we got rid of were no where near our starting 11 where as the players we've brought in should be. Replacing Wyke's 18 goals will be tough and could cost us. But as shoddy says the big disappointment is not signing some left back cover, our defence has been terrible so to fail to strengthen it (apart from Liddle who can play there if need be) is criminal.

Last edited:

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Reasonably well considering we were under a transfer embargo until the last couple of days.

Habbinalan

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United (and reminisces about Barrow AFC)
Twitter
@habbinalan
Either we've settled for a likely mid table position but we'll give it our best shot or........

........Corr, McGurk and Elito will be back in the next few weeks and we're now set for our play off push.

With current injuries, the squad is probably a stronger mid-table prospect with less expensive dead wood, so I think we all agree it's the former -

Loan signings - Max Clark (MF) extends loan, Gerry McDonagh (striker) and Scott Wharton (CH)
Transfers (Fees paid and longish contracts for all of them) - Jake Carroll (LB), Paul Lewis (MF) finally Liam O'Neill (MF) with a 3.5 year contract.

Out - Omozusi, Keane and Adams. Dallison and Long finished their loans
Out on Loan - Piggott (also youngsters Foy & Darling who look certain to be in next season's squad and may feature before the end of the season).

Well it'll feel like it belongs here ..................... if it ever happens. Pass the Laphroaig.

C3rp_aeWYAEdzsP.jpg:large

Barry Corr ‏@BarryCorr10 13m

We will be back very soon #CUFC pic.twitter.com/gC3TVC9dqo

1 reply . 2 retweets 4 likes

CTFCfan99

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham
In:
Diego De Girolamo (loan - Bristol City)
Kyle Wootton (loan - Scunthorpe)
Emmanuel Onariase (loan - Brentford)
Alex Pike (loan - West Ham)
Scott Brown (loan - Wycombe)
Liam Davis (unattached)
Carl Winchester (Oldham)
Will Boyle (Huddersfield)

Out:
Dan Parslow (loan - York)
Amari Morgan-Smith (loan - York)
James Jennings (loan - Wrexham)

Overall we look a much better team with the new recruits. Boyle and Onariase look strong at CB with O'Shaughnessy, we know Brown is a decent L2 keeper and Winchester has been quality. Lots more options up front too.

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
On the whole I think not good.

Losing Walton right at the end was a real big blow and whilst its tough to judge a player on 1 game, his replacement looked some way out of his depth. I think Waltons loss alone makes the window not a great one.

Gambin looks a tidy litte player and has impressed me a lot in our past 2 games, D'Ath hasnt really featured too much so difficult to say about him yet but the one position we did need and didnt fill was a proper central midfield player to play the holding role in the diamond. Pelly seems to be stepping up and growing into that role in the past few games but I still would have liked to see us get someone in there, if only for the fact that that would mean we no longer have to see Olly bloody Lee jogging back just as his man is tucking the ball into the net again.

Much was made of the Olly Palmer signing, as by all accounts he is a bit shit, but I really don't think he will feature a great deal.

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)

Russ Penn
(not getting a game)

Gary Liddle

I think on the whole we've brought in better than what we've shipped out, Wyke being the obvious exception to that. Most players we got rid of were no where near our starting 11 where as the players we've brought in should be. Replacing Wyke's 18 goals will be tough and could cost us. But as shoddy says the big disappointment is not signing some left back cover, our defence has been terrible so to fail to strengthen it (apart from Liddle who can play there if need be) is criminal.
have you two hacked each others' accounts? HG: positive and Shoddy: negative.

If your squad is so small, why is this, you have money?

George Reilly's Hairpiece

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Exceeded expectations. The last day saw only players leaving, but we did our business early.

Santos and Cough to add some strength to the back line. Akinola, Coulson and a wildcard in Bover going forward. Tutonda and Sweeney for the future.

Would have liked one more forward in case Akinde got injured, although he's irreplaceable in the short term. We'll rely on graduates from our academy should we need to.

Out went Gambin who didn't want to stay
Has potential, but we've been saying that for four years. Muggleton is no loss, but wish him well. Sesay we hardly saw and Tomlinson was playing a step too high. The two loan moves were a little strange and I would have kept Jean Louis, but I trust our younger players, I think. Nicholls was unlucky as I think he still can do a job but was messed about under Allen and fell foul of our new management looking to promote more from the acadmey
Hope he does well at Dundee United.

TimeyWimey

Sustainable
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Crap.

Spent half a month with a dick in charge. Lost our top scorer and captain. Spent a couple of weeks faffing about. Signed a striker a relegation rival didn't want. Signed a kid from Middlesbrough on loan - uninspiring. Signed a potential goal scorer in Margetts. Had the Margetts deal cancelled due to that silly FIFA rule restricting employment. Kept Ollie Turton.

On plus side, offloaded Harry Davis.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United

Russ Penn
(not getting a game)

Gary Liddle

Who's James Bailey? I missed that one. Granted when you add him we're only two players down on our previous squad, but it was a small squad even before

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Despite losing Bogle I'm quite happy with ours, for the last few games Bogle has been arse to be honest so better to get rid and get a nice wad of cash than a player who's head has obviously been turned.
Also a few players we've been chasing for a while finally got signed so I'm pretty optimistic.
And McKeown not leaving as Shrewsbury would not pay a fee has worked out fantastically as Henderson has been recalled to Man U today so had McKeown left we would now be up shit creek.
7/10 for me.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
have you two hacked each others' accounts? HG: positive and Shoddy: negative.

If your squad is so small, why is this, you have money?

We don't really have money, no more than most of the mid-table teams but probably considerably less than any other promotion chasing sides. I think that having players of the calibre to challenge for promotion, means there's not much left over to have cover in every position. We essentially didn't have the right kind of player as cover when Jones got injured (well we had Russell Penn but I guess Curle had decided already he wasn't up to it) and in order to get cover in the form of Gary Liddle we've had to ship other players out and now have no cover in defence.

northstandexile

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
As a Stags fan, just saying best ever.

Now 8 signed and 8 out, 2 not played yet as only signed this week but the six who have signed have not lost a league game yet (won 4 and drew 1, against county, see we don't won't them relagated so we gave them a point.)

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
We don't really have money, no more than most of the mid-table teams but probably considerably less than any other promotion chasing sides. I think that having players of the calibre to challenge for promotion, means there's not much left over to have cover in every position. We essentially didn't have the right kind of player as cover when Jones got injured (well we had Russell Penn but I guess Curle had decided already he wasn't up to it) and in order to get cover in the form of Gary Liddle we've had to ship other players out and now have no cover in defence.
Sounds a bit like us last year, when with the debts still being paid off, we had a good eleven and then it got dodgy.

DearneValleyRover

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers, Sporting Leyland
Lost no one, gained Grant, May and Lawlor, extended Houghton and Mason's loans until the end of the season, Coppinger and Butler signed a one year contract extension so all in all a very good January.

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
Haha. Hahahaha. Ha.

Out:
- Jay Simpson
- Ollie Palmer
- Alan Dunne
- Jordan Bowery
- Zan Benedicic
- Ulrich N'Nomo

In:
- Rowan Liburd
- Josh Green
- Ulrich N'Nomo

We transfer listed our only senior goalkeeper, who will probably be frozen out as he failed to agree terms with another club. We put two defenders on the transfer list, only to take them off again a week later. We let four strikers go and replaced them with Stevenage's fifth choice striker who has only ever scored one league goal. One of the strikers then came back because we fucked the loan up. Our manager walked out to take up a coaching role at the FA, our chief exec released the most deluded, nonsensical statement in the history of football and we lost every game we played.

Hahahahahahahahaha! *kills self*

Moomin

Reaction score
Supports
ECFC
Superb, none in and only loaned out young LB Connor Riley-Lowe to Truro, which meant we kept Ollie Watkins and David Wheeler....

MrGloverLover

Reaction score
Supports
Yeovil Town
This was our January. A lot more activity than normal and several strikers now on the books:

Arriving Permanently: Brandon Goodship (free agent, six month deal from Bournemouth), Tom James (free agent, six month deal from Cardiff City)

Arriving On Loan: Shayon Harrison (Tottenham Hotspur, half-season loan), Jean-Louis Akra Akpro (Barnet, half-season loan), Kabongo Tshimanga (Milton Keynes Dons, half-season loan), Owain Jones (Swansea City, half-season loan)

Deals Extended: Ben Whitfield (half-season loan), Matt Butcher (half-season loan)

Exiting Permanently: Kyle Copp (short term deal expired, signed for Merthyr Town), Tahvon Campbell (loan expired, back to West Brom then out to Notts County on loan), Ryan Hedges (loan recalled, signed for Barnsley), Callum Morton (Scholarship by West Bromwich Albion for undisclosed fee)

Exiting On Loan: Joe Lea (Gosport Borough, half season loan), Josh Ezewele (Kidderminster Harriers, one month loan)

Now You See Them, Now You Don't: Andre Wright (West Brom, registration failed), Jack Storer (Birmingham City, loan cancelled)

PaulHaddock

people person
Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Ok.

Losing Bogle is a massive blow, due to a loss of goals and assists. We've brought in 7 /8, mostly all of them for potential. Adi Yussuff and Chris Clements are probably exempt from that. None of the new signings have played more than two games each however.

Jamey Osborne, Akwasi Asante and Sam Jones have probably been brought on to sale for big money later on. Loans from higher up in Luke Maxwell and Calum Dyson are hopefully going to be improvements on what we had.

Extending Dean Henderson's loan was brilliant but we've lost him as well- not a lot we could do about that. I guess my biggest concerns are currently our wage bill (28 players currently at the club with 4/5 out on loan). Also, we need goals from another source.

Casey

Reaction score
Supports
Creepy
Well, we got Dean Cox which is very good (playing him out of position isn't) and Josh Lelan which is ok as we only had one right back. Connor Henderson is just someone to use up the wage budget.

Losing Chris Arthur for a month is no Biggie as he didn't play. Losing Jason Banton for the rest of the season is odd as I thought he was ok but it seemed to be a consequence of Cox coming in.

The bad bit was we do not have a left back who Drummy trusts to play!

Casey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanPep
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!