Is it time for a 'Managerial Merry go round' thread?

YEO YEO YEO

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
DC wasn't available when we hired him, we paid 6 figures for him from Walsall.

Early betting has Danny Cowley 2/1 fav which is guess is standard as he is probably the most obvious candidate for a club like us at the moment.

Issue with this is we have no manager in place for the contract decisions come end of the season.
No chance the Cowleys will go to Vale.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
No chance the Cowleys will go to Vale.
Why? Their stock isn't exactly high after Huddersfield and Pompey failures, decent sized club, good ownership, lots of investment going on around the club.

Not sure I would personally want them due to their football style, all be it maybe a way around the state of our pitch!

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Didn’t Cowley spend the latter part of his time at Portsmouth taking passive aggressive shots about his budget? I can just imagine what he’d think of us.

Just to nip it in the bud for when he gets sacked by QPR but Ainsworth as much as he was a great player for us forget it. He is not moving up from down south, it’s probably why he stayed at Wycombe so long.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Didn’t Cowley spend the latter part of his time at Portsmouth taking passive aggressive shots about his budget? I can just imagine what he’d think of us.

Just to nip it in the bud for when he gets sacked by QPR but Ainsworth as much as he was a great player for us forget it. He is not moving up from down south, it’s probably why he stayed at Wycombe so long.
As said fans clamour for him due to his legendary status (like they did Aspin) but his football is awful!

See how Crosby does firstly.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
As said fans clamour for him due to his legendary status (like they did Aspin) but his football is awful!

See how Crosby does firstly.
I thought Crosby said he doesnt want to be manager full time so you guys will still have to appoint someone else?

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I thought Crosby said he doesnt want to be manager full time so you guys will still have to appoint someone else?
Rumours he went for the Newport job so maybe no longer the case after his success with us late last season.

Arbury

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge united
Fucking gutted.

4 huge games left. We have to stay up.

Won't fucking bother next season if we go back down. I'll spend my Saturday's doing things elsewhere with my lad.
That’s the spirit!

KTF.

thewwfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe
Yes, he has a young family which at the moment I don’t think he’s prepared to uproot.

He was tapped up for the Sunderland job at one time - they’re a bit of a basket case of a club and would have been a super-high pressure environment, but that can’t be something that puts him off or he’d never have taken the QPR job.

So yeah, at the moment I think he wants to stay darn Sarf.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
That’s the spirit!

KTF.
To be fair I see Dan's point, every time we seem to be a standard, decent run football club with a glimmer of success some drama occurs, we've had it all, bottling promotion when Adams left and Horsfield and Gannon squaring up on the team bus, The whole bizarre Smurthwaite which could be a 10 part BBC drama on its own with the foreign experiment, being run over a taxi on the day of protests and conducting a public inquest into a Cup defeat at Exeter.

Not to mention the V2001 era, fake £8 million investment that never occurred, I am tired of it all to be honest with you, finally we seemed to be having a club on the up and having stability.

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
To be fair I see Dan's point, every time we seem to be a standard, decent run football club with a glimmer of success some drama occurs, we've had it all, bottling promotion when Adams left and Horsfield and Gannon squaring up on the team bus, The whole bizarre Smurthwaite which could be a 10 part BBC drama on its own with the foreign experiment, being run over a taxi on the day of protests and conducting a public inquest into a Cup defeat at Exeter.

Not to mention the V2001 era, fake £8 million investment that never occurred, I am tired of it all to be honest with you, finally we seemed to be having a club on the up and having stability.
You need a stint in non league. That would sort the wheat from the chaff. ;-)

Floreat Salopia

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury
Just seen this news. Stinker of a decision from the Vale board, I’d be furious if that was us.

Arbury

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge united

The joys of supporting a shit lower lge club, we’re all on the same boat and know the good times are few and far between, fuck if it wasn’t for Richard carbon we wouldn’t even have a club to support.

Try hayes and yeading on a wet cold Tuesday night and getting thumped!

You just can’t beat a bit perspective, we’re called supporters for a reason!

KTF.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
The more i read the statement the more this doesn't appear as "knee jerk" as it seems on the face of it.

It talks about discussions with DC and senior players over "Recent Weeks" which seems to coincide with around the timing of the Burton game which seemed to be where the performances dropped off a cliff and the downing of tools began, gradually getting worse and culminating in the horror shows against Cambridge and Accrington.

I don't think this is purely a club decision but maybe one which could of been taken earlier if it wasn't right behind the scenes, DC hasn't been himself as mentioned, he looks flat, you don't have him barking and up and down the touchline, last season he did a Mourinho knee slide against Orient when we scored 2 injury time goals and started scrapping with a Swindon player in the semi, there has been none of that and none of the fired up DC we've come used to.

I felt he would build a legacy at Vale and it seemed a promotion set in the stars after the awful awful tragedy he suffered and to come back, take us to Wembley against the odds after needing a result at Exeter then being 2-0 down in the semi and 2 missed penalties down in the shoot out, the great start we had this season again against the odds somewhat with the injuries we had at the start of the season.

He is up there with the messiah Micky Adams and John Rudge as the best managers in my lifetime (maybe Brian Horton deserves some accolades too).

It does have the feeling that everything that happened last year has finally caught up with him, he was incredibly brave to come back as quick as he did to see the job through and I expect he will probably take a break now, I couldn't have done what he did and go back as quick as that in the circumstances.

I'm thankful for the pride and joy he put back into the club, love the bloke and my main concern is that I really hope he is ok in himself and can bounce back, he will be welcomed back whenever we cross paths again and rightly deserves his place in Vale legend.

Right or wrong, whatever the reasoning behind it I am absolutely heart broken to see it end up like this for him and judging by social media and our forums the majority of the fan base feels the same.

Going forward Crosby is hugely popular in his own right, he took the helm in the most difficult circumstances last season, supported the lads through it and turned our form into promotion form, winning 8 and drawing 1 in 9 at one point before a slipped up near the end and deserves our full backing and will get it in the challenge ahead, we can do the inquests in 3 weeks but we have to put everything into keeping ourselves in League One now.

Soz

Reaction score
Supports
PV
Meanwhile the red given to conlon when we go 1-2 up at 10 men Lincoln gets overturned. god knows what all that is about but that assistant ref could have potentially cost a man his job there.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Meanwhile the red given to conlon when we go 1-2 up at 10 men Lincoln gets overturned. god knows what all that is about but that assistant ref could have potentially cost a man his job there.

Is there some cooling off period we can rescind his dismissal? Still none the wiser though they’re saying violent conduct on the FA statement. Who knows what was seen if anything?

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Is there some cooling off period we can rescind his dismissal? Still none the wiser though they’re saying violent conduct on the FA statement. Who knows what was seen if anything?
Those that saw it said the Lincoln lad kicked him (so a red should have gone the other way if the case) and he’s reacted, you can see a still in the image of the goal celebration in the back ground of Smith coming to Conlon’s aid but not of what occurred.

I guess they’ve mistaken him for the Lincoln lad kicking out.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Those that saw it said the Lincoln lad kicked him (so a red should have gone the other way if the case) and he’s reacted, you can see a still in the image of the goal celebration in the back ground of Smith coming to Conlon’s aid but not of what occurred.

I guess they’ve mistaken him for the Lincoln lad kicking out.
Another apology letter in the bulging file then? I thought at the time that the ref wanted to even things up and has made a decision based on patchy information. We probably would have gone on to win, Clarke keeps his job and we remain in league one.

These officials are complete dick heads.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Another apology letter in the bulging file then? I thought at the time that the ref wanted to even things up and has made a decision based on patchy information. We probably would have gone on to win, Clarke keeps his job and we remain in league one.

Rightly today has made that decision huge and the reaction is one of fury. But hey we are Vale and shouldn’t moan about referees…

Don Tonberry

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth

No his passive aggressive shots came at the medical team given our injury problems this season, but they've hit back last week saying our injury record was normal before the Cowleys arrived

As mentioned before, he failed here and so his stock can't be too high. I don't think the Vale job would be too small for him no matter what division they're in next season.

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United

Rightly today has made that decision huge and the reaction is one of fury. But hey we are Vale and shouldn’t moan about referees…
I moaned about something similar last month but was effectively told to suck it up: https://www.thefootballforum.net/threads/the-relegation-thread.24138/page-6#post-1174242

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I moaned about something similar last month but was effectively told to suck it up: https://www.thefootballforum.net/threads/the-relegation-thread.24138/page-6#post-1174242
It's happened so many times now It's getting ridiculous. We had at least 3 apology letters a couple of seasons ago. Notice how some other clubs have maybe one controversial decision a season....we sometimes have 3 in a match! I know people will say it evens itself out over the season, but refs have definitely cost us at least 5 points this season and almost certainly more. That 5 points makes us pretty much safe already. The only real refereeing decision we've had in our favour this season was potentially a penalty away at Derby and even then you could certainly argue it was merited.

Super_horns

Reaction score
Supports
WATFORD
Of course who knows how a game might have ended up even with the right decisions given but yes it is pretty frustrating when they admit a decision was wrong particularly when there is an apology so not even some sort of excuse or reasoning given.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Of course who knows how a game might have ended up even with the right decisions given but yes it is pretty frustrating when they admit a decision was wrong particularly when there is an apology so not even some sort of excuse or reasoning given.
It seems like the ref/liner have basically made up an incident to even things up. They should never referee again at this level.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
It's happened so many times now It's getting ridiculous. We had at least 3 apology letters a couple of seasons ago. Notice how some other clubs have maybe one controversial decision a season....we sometimes have 3 in a match! I know people will say it evens itself out over the season, but refs have definitely cost us at least 5 points this season and almost certainly more. That 5 points makes us pretty much safe already. The only real refereeing decision we've had in our favour this season was potentially a penalty away at Derby and even then you could certainly argue it was merited.
I mean there was the stonewall penalty that we didn't have given to us at the end of our game a couple of months back which means you gained a point (though there was no guarantee we'd have scored said pen).

It's easier to remember when you've been sinned against. That's not to call you a liar, but there was a game not long ago when we really got all the decisions - I can't even remember who that was against now.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
It’s two huge game changing decisions, one against a relegation rival which could prove the difference.

Let’s not forget the two games which we won but could have been costly against Charlton and MK Dons when retrospective bans were handed out for violent conduct. Luckily we still won those so no damage done but that’s appalling.

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
I mean there was the stonewall penalty that we didn't have given to us at the end of our game a couple of months back which means you gained a point (though there was no guarantee we'd have scored said pen).

It's easier to remember when you've been sinned against. That's not to call you a liar, but there was a game not long ago when we really got all the decisions - I can't even remember who that was against now.
Bollocks, every knows Vale are the only team who suffer from refereeing decisions going against them, what on earth are you talking about?!?

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

To be fair that evened out one of the two not given which cost us a play off place in 2020 in the final game before Covid! Gave one then over turns it then the Conlon one second half.

We are not talking about pens though because they happen, some ridiculous ones gone against us this season but you can usually look at those over a season to a degree but to go 2-1 up against 10 men and lose a man for an hour that should have played is criminal (especially when he was the one the victim of violent conduct) and the goal against Accrington pulled back when the balls in the net well before the whistle is blown.

Think Cambridge had one of those the week before us… that decision could be catastrophic come May to one or both of us.

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
We went 1-0 up at MK dons only for it to be ruled out. We got an apology on the Monday. That could be very costly for us come May.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yeah but if we beat you and Taylor goes back to Oxford he'd likely be relegated so swings and roundabouts!
Oh you evil bastard, didn’t think of that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowper
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!