Joining League Two for 24/25

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Chesterfield will be playoffs minimum next season so long as they buy a couple of centre backs.

Grimes and Palmer lack of pace/agility will get shown up at this level in certain games, we had to phase Tozer out for same reason and have looked a lot better for it. Rest of the team I expect to be more than capable in L2 and they have an experienced promotion manager almost as good as Challinor and Parky. Looking at the team list for next season there's nothing here to fear for them IMO, they've come up at the right time.

Yeah they've got a few players (Dobra, Colclough etc) who will step up with no problem. Even that human skeleton Mandeville is more than good enough on his day. They need to sign better support for Grigg than the likes of Joe Quigley, and their defence looks shaky to me. Obviously will need a keeper too but they've got a manager who knows exactly what is needed and has the contacts to bring in the right players. He's another past it dinosaur like Parkinson amd Clough.

Play Offs definitely in their target I'm sure. The league doesn't look that strong next season.

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
For me Chesterfield have got a solid enough first XI but not a huge deal of depth. A front 4 of Grigg, Dobra, Jacobs and Mandeville is pretty decent, and Naylor in midfield is a Rolls-Royce this season. Past that, I quite like Berry but he's mainly been a sub this season, Colclough has barely played since Xmas, Oldaker and Banks are alright on the ball but questionable (particularly the former) out of possession which you'd imagine would be more of the case next season. Quigley has had a remarkable goalscoring season but he is a dreadful footballer - they can't go into next season with him as their only back up to Grigg if they're expected to be taken seriously.

Defence has been ok, but never had a settled actual right back with several filling in there at times (King, Mandeville, Sheckleford, Williams) so that's a weak point. No guarantees they'll be able to retain Tyrer in goal for next season either.

A lot of the key men are in the latter stages of their career as well, so it'll be interesting to see how they step back up, with a lot of them having dropped to that level from previous EFL stints - Naylor, Grigg, Jacobs, Palmer, Banks, Jones are all 30+. They've got through this season with a small squad and a fair bit of luck with injuries, and being so far ahead halfway through the season has meant they've essentially coasted the second half of the year taking very few risks with fitness. I think they'll have a tougher time of it next season in that respect, they won't be able to take their foot off the pedal by the end of January.

spireite

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
All fair comments, we do need more depth in certain areas and just straight replacements in most of the defence. Tyrer hopefully is sorted, I get the feeling that's a done deal for 1 more year. It's not ideal having your #1 as a loanee, although from a Prem side you can be pretty sure they are not just going to recall him. Ryan Boot is more than able backup. I said somewhere else, but just consolidating back in the league will do me. Just want to get the signees cracking and see what Cookie can sort out, always an exciting part of the year when Paul Cook is in charge. Can't believe this season isn't finished yet holy shit

Grimsby Road

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Seen quite a few calling next seasons league 2 'tinpot' on various other sites .

To me it looks a better league which will be far more interesting as there isn't any teams that are bankrolled to much of an extent compared to the last few years .

Does tinpot now just = meaning clubs that are not bankrolled , in terrible debt or have some sort of charlatan in charge trying to take a club through the leagues in an underhand way ?

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Seen quite a few calling next seasons league 2 'tinpot' on various other sites .

To me it looks a better league which will be far more interesting as there isn't any teams that are bankrolled to much of an extent compared to the last few years .

Does tinpot now just = meaning clubs that are not bankrolled , in terrible debt or have some sort of charlatan in charge trying to take a club through the leagues in an underhand way ?

It looks like every League Two ever. No disrespect to Stockport, Wrexham and Stags (well, maybe a little bit), but they're hardly any more or less tinpot than Carlisle and Port Vale. Fleetwood obviously are, but then MK, Crawley or Barrow might go up yet.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
At least that’s 1 less relegation place for the rest of us to worry about… :animatedf:
IMG_4434.jpeg

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
It looks like every League Two ever. No disrespect to Stockport, Wrexham and Stags (well, maybe a little bit), but they're hardly any more or less tinpot than Carlisle and Port Vale. Fleetwood obviously are, but then MK, Crawley or Barrow might go up yet.

You have to say that on the internet, it's the football forum law.

Next year's National League definitely looks the poorest ever now Chesterfield are promoted.

dedwardp

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United
There's a tendency to associate the Cowleys purely with the grim but effective stuff their Lincoln side played. However, the Braintree side they managed before played some great football and keeping Huddersfield up was a good achievement.

Aside from the fake injuries, which a few other sides have adopted to break-up play or tactically reset, I thought Colchester played a reasonable quality of football in the draw at PP. Now that their primary goal of securing L2 football looks close to confirmation, it will be interesting to see how the squad is re-shaped over the summer.

I agree - I said on here after Tuesday night that I've really enjoyed watching us again since they took over. I think they have a negative reputation from previous jobs, but for 90% of their tenure so far I haven't really seen that at all. We did a lot of the shithousery in the first half at Mansfield and went quite heavy with it in the second half the other night, but that's been about it really. Certainly no worse than any other League Two side of the past five years or so.

The actual football itself has been decent enough in the main too, even more so considering the situation we've been in and the need to try and get a result at any cost. There's a clear plan to how we play and whilst we're not afraid to float it into Hopper or Akinde, the link up play, one touch passing in triangles and getting it wide with pace etc has all been there to see. And, to be honest, I'd much rather that and watch us play our football in the right half of the pitch than watching goal kicks being passed to a centre half on the six yard line anyway.

Assuming we manage to get over the line, I'm really looking forward to seeing us next season once they've had the full summer and pre-season.

Reactions: Boz

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham

Yeah I don't think it looks 'tinpot'. Port Vale and Carlisle are decent sized clubs, as are Chesterfield.

Fleetwood, Cheltenham and whoever else comes up from NL are of a similar calibre to Sutton and FGR.

It should be a bit harder to call as there are fewer standout teams, but that usually means a competitive league. There is always a decent chance clubs like Notts, Bradford, Swindon and Tranmere can get their act together and be up the top. If MK Dons don't go up they will also be up there again. The likes of Gillingham and Doncaster have got cash behind them.

Quite an interesting looking league tbh.

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
I'd say next year looks like being an incredibly open league. Most, if not everyone, were fairly sure Stockport and Wrexham would wrap up two of the auto spots this season and it's worked out that way, but I don't think anyone really has any idea about next season. May encourage a few teams to 'go for it' a little more than perhaps they may've done previously. There are still some good sized clubs at the level who could happily exist at League One level without too much discomfort - ourselves, Donny, Swindon, Bradford, Tranmere, Vale if they come down - all capable of putting together a strong season with the right recruitment and a fair wind.

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
For me Chesterfield have got a solid enough first XI but not a huge deal of depth. A front 4 of Grigg, Dobra, Jacobs and Mandeville is pretty decent, and Naylor in midfield is a Rolls-Royce this season. Past that, I quite like Berry but he's mainly been a sub this season, Colclough has barely played since Xmas, Oldaker and Banks are alright on the ball but questionable (particularly the former) out of possession which you'd imagine would be more of the case next season. Quigley has had a remarkable goalscoring season but he is a dreadful footballer - they can't go into next season with him as their only back up to Grigg if they're expected to be taken seriously.

Defence has been ok, but never had a settled actual right back with several filling in there at times (King, Mandeville, Sheckleford, Williams) so that's a weak point. No guarantees they'll be able to retain Tyrer in goal for next season either.

A lot of the key men are in the latter stages of their career as well, so it'll be interesting to see how they step back up, with a lot of them having dropped to that level from previous EFL stints - Naylor, Grigg, Jacobs, Palmer, Banks, Jones are all 30+. They've got through this season with a small squad and a fair bit of luck with injuries, and being so far ahead halfway through the season has meant they've essentially coasted the second half of the year taking very few risks with fitness. I think they'll have a tougher time of it next season in that respect, they won't be able to take their foot off the pedal by the end of January.
Colclough got crocked by some thug at Gateshead at the back end of January and he’s not been fit ever since with an ankle issue. But he’s our best player when he’s fully fit & flying, so quick direct & skilful but has that bit of aggression you need as well (sometimes too much, specifically in pub toilets after a few too many…). Our form hasn’t been that great since he got injured which shows how much we’ve missed him really. Those 3 positions behind the striker (LW, CAM & RW) are where we’re stacked with quality and the strongest part of our team no doubt about that.

I do agree with much of your thoughts on us though, defence hasn’t really been settled all year. I’d say only Grimes & Horton have been regular picks week in week out, the others have rotated game by game for much of it. At this level I think Cook will be wanting a far more settled back 4, because we won’t be able to outscore teams with as much ease at this level as we could in the NL. That solid foundation will be key.

But I’ve said it before, Cooks best trait as a manager for all his many qualities is his recruitment. We’ve recruited far & away the best team in the NL this year with the 3rd / 4th highest budget, and now we’re back at EFL level that opens up far more possibilities to us in terms of players being more willing to come. I back him to get it right again this summer, he knows where we’re weak and I can’t see him leaving it to chance. He knows league 2 like the back of his hand.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
I don’t think next year would be tinpot at all, there’s plenty of clubs bigger than us here next season for starters, just goes to show what happens if you’ve got a decent manager and some patience.

I think would be more challenging to pick a top 3 next year (though the standouts were only stockport and wrexham) as many sides would think they could.

Bradfords/tranmere/swindon - can’t be as bad for instance.

I’m just they’ll be plenty of comments from chesterfield and county stating if we can do it why can’t they? I think chesterfield would do better than county did this season purely as cook is more cutthroat in what he needs - chesterfield appear to have a shoddy defence that the top 7 this season would just walk through - there’s no chance cook will allow that to happen.

Last edited:

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Certainly going to be far tougher in preseason to pick the Champions and a club to finish Top 3.

But I'll give it another go with some of the profits.

Optipez

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County

The transfer window makes a huge difference. We would bring in a player if we needed one but you can't do that up here and definitely have to carry a larger squad to cope with injuries suspensions and loss of form.

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
The transfer window makes a huge difference. We would bring in a player if we needed one but you can't do that up here and definitely have to carry a larger squad to cope with injuries suspensions and loss of form.
We’ve not signed a single player since August in fairness

spireite

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
I’m just they’ll be plenty of comments from chesterfield and county stating if we can do it why can’t they?

We've got a 10 year buffer to emulate you, so everything crossed!

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
Well… it won’t be Oldham joining us back here next year after their draw tonight sees them out of reach of the play offs. Who’d have thought we’d be saying that after their last minute 1-1 win & pitch invasion at our place back in August?

Stinker of a season from them considering they’ve the biggest budget in the league. Comes down to crap recruitment for me & two bang average managers

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Well… it won’t be Oldham joining us back here next year after their draw tonight sees them out of reach of the play offs. Who’d have thought we’d be saying that after their last minute 1-1 win & pitch invasion at our place back in August?

Stinker of a season from them considering they’ve the biggest budget in the league. Comes down to crap recruitment for me & two bang average managers
Conlon was a good signing for them....far better than that level. However, it seems they've struggled in other areas. What a fall that club has seen.

Bottega Don

Reaction score
Supports
Scunthorpe United

In Oldham's defence, absolutely nothing good ever happens to that club

They haven't been promoted since about the 70s

Boz

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Mellon is a decent enough manager, certainly capable of getting teams out of the NL as he managed with us and Fleetwood

TheEndIsNigh

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
I do feel sorry for Oldham. A club of that size not troubling the playoffs for 2 years in the NL is pretty disgraceful.

Adam s bang on about Chesterfield, can’t see Cook and co keeping the amount of dross we kept on last year. Their piss poor end to the season will probably do them a favour next year in that it’ll underline who won’t be good enough for the EFL.

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Mellon is a decent enough manager, certainly capable of getting teams out of the NL as he managed with us and Fleetwood
I'm surprised he didn't get them into the play offs I thought that was a good appointment. He's inherited a crap unbalanced squad though.

Reactions: Boz

DippyDon

Reaction score
Supports
MK Dons
Twitter
@Dippydon_95
Last time we finished in the L2 play offs we lost in the semis (the first of many occasions) but absolutely smashed the league the next year, I still think we hold the best away record in some regard.

We won't go up in the play offs this year, so here's hoping for the same again.

Less than a mile (WAFC)

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
I take it BT sport will be showing the conference play offs on Tuesday and Wednesday next week?

Boz

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
I'm surprised he didn't get them into the play offs I thought that was a good appointment. He's inherited a crap unbalanced squad though.
I went to watch them early in Micky's time in charge a 2-2 with Altrincham and thought he would drag them into the play-offs. From recent remarks it sounds like there are a few under contract for next season that he'd rather get rid of and sounding like he might need the full three years to get them back up. Their ownwer doesn't seen trigger happy, gave Unsworth more time than many would, but the Latics fans don't seem too keen on Mellon's style of football

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tbwomble
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!