Stickied League 1 Transfer Rumours/Confirmed Transfers 2023/24

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
Poland U21 international Lopata signs on loan from Barnsley so covers the Rhys Williams loss. Looks chuffed to be here!

Stood out for Sarfend in their recent travails. Walked out when the club defaulted on his contract when others stayed so their opinion of him is a bit worse than it should be. Think he will be a Championship player in time.

How many strikers have Carlisle got now?

Still none.

Saxon Earley (LB - fabulous name, was at Norwich as a kid so hoping he’s got a proper yokel accent)

He was excellent when I saw him last year. Can do a bit of everything from fullback.

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Curzon Ashton....and Carlisle
We started the transfer window like we wanted to have a go.

But with results not improving and the team getting beat every week, I think the club have now accepted relegation.

No way would we have sold Moxon if we had any survival hopes. I also think we would have went all in for some real quality to improve the midfield and defence this week but we have not.

Fleetwood have done similar. Both clubs know they are 100% down and to be honest I think it’s a sensible approach. Why waste money now on the impossible? Save it for a good go at League 2 next season.

I think the window hasn’t been bad for Carlisle, we didn’t go mass panic buying on really expensive championship flops.

I’d admit our signings do not reek of ‘sudden L1 turnaround’ but all have proved very good at L2 leve so if we do go down we have improved our L2 side from last season and if they could adapt better to L1 you never know.

I think one thing we forgot as fans is while the budget has been drastically increased our scouting for this season will have been looking at completely different levels of players than we now can look at so we probably didn’t really have any confidence on stronger looking targets as we’d not been scouting them during season……that should improve in summer as our targets differ from 6 months ago.

What I feel Simpson must do now is try and find the formation and style he wants and stick with it……stop swapping and changing and if it works great if not we at least go into summer with settled side looking to improve on it.

Have no issue with moxon, edmondson and garner gojng, none of them would be here past the summer so we can build properly.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Already touched on, but what a very weird couple of attacking signings for Cheltenham. Mental.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
McGrandles signed on loan last night, which is pretty much a perfect short term signing for us. Knows L1, knows the Club, was excellent in our PO season with a good midfield around him, which we have, can get around the pitch, gets stuck in and adds the depth and experience that we needed in there.

We're apparently signing/signed another one last night but it's a project one and three clubs are involved - so I'm assuming whoever it is, is heading straight out on loan.

Overall a decent window for us on paper. We gutted the top end of the pitch and brought three new players in up there. Perhaps could have done with a pacey right winger but CM was the priority, which we got sorted.

I make it 9 out and 4 in, in varying moves. Squad of 23, but that's including Montsma and Walker so it's actually 21.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Already touched on, but what a very weird couple of attacking signings for Cheltenham. Mental.
It shows where we are in the food chain. We're skint, even with the sale of Will Goodwin, and we simply can't afford to throw money at it. We don't have a financial backer, and we get crowds of 4,000.

In this division, we are punching above our weight, in the division below our budget would still be low end.

We have to take chances and give opportunities to players who may have dropped below where their level could be. If it works, it's shrewd business. If it doesn't, then we end up back in League 2.

Unfortunately, the majority of our fanbase don't understand this.

CTFCfan99

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham
It shows where we are in the food chain. We're skint, even with the sale of Will Goodwin, and we simply can't afford to throw money at it. We don't have a financial backer, and we get crowds of 4,000.

In this division, we are punching above our weight, in the division below our budget would still be low end.

We have to take chances and give opportunities to players who may have dropped below where their level could be. If it works, it's shrewd business. If it doesn't, then we end up back in League 2.

Unfortunately, the majority of our fanbase don't understand this.
To add, DC has got us playing like a solid L1 team when at the start of the season the same players looked like they'd struggle in the National League.

He's obviously capable of getting the best out of his players so let's hope it's the same with the new lads.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
To add, DC has got us playing like a solid L1 team when at the start of the season the same players looked like they'd struggle in the National League.

He's obviously capable of getting the best out of his players so let's hope it's the same with the new lads.

Truth be told DC doesn’t need players with outlandish ability just that they buy into what he wants them to do as a unit on the pitch. FWIW Matty Taylor if you play him in a 2 could be effective. Am guessing if it weren’t for the fact Ellis Harrison had played for us and MK this year he’d have looked to bring him in to yourselves.

As for us well went into the window saying the teams biggest priorities were LWB and forward (and that was before Uche out for most of the remainder this season) and we’ve brought in neither. Series of decisions going back to being cheap/lazy on a manager and now this which have made the degree of difficulty staying up a lot more than it should be.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Truth be told DC doesn’t need players with outlandish ability just that they buy into what he wants them to do as a unit on the pitch. FWIW Matty Taylor if you play him in a 2 could be effective. Am guessing if it weren’t for the fact Ellis Harrison had played for us and MK this year he’d have looked to bring him in to yourselves.

As for us well went into the window saying the teams biggest priorities were LWB and forward (and that was before Uche out for most of the remainder this season) and we’ve brought in neither. Series of decisions going back to being cheap/lazy on a manager and now this which have made the degree of difficulty staying up a lot more than it should be.
Nope and it doesn't help that it seems half the fan base knew Michael Smith was in the building at 11pm last night. The club haven't helped themselves with the tweet this morning. What happened to the Chelsea loanees too we were told about?

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Nope and it doesn't help that it seems half the fan base knew Michael Smith was in the building at 11pm last night. The club haven't helped themselves with the tweet this morning. What happened to the Chelsea loanees too we were told about?

To be honest they should have gone full shithouse and tweeted about that fucking ABBA night they keep pushing, comments on that would be electric.

Just a glance at free agents still available a couple of names that intrigue me such as Madine and Wickham but they’re clearly in position they don’t just accept any offer. Also Madine would be a non-starter as we only sign nice boys.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
This is it in a nutshell.

It's the old phrase isn't it - the sum is greater than the parts. It's what they do as a unit that will keep us up. When I tell you Tom Pett could well be our player of the year, I imagine most Vale fans would be in complete shock, but he's been outstanding. And that's because he is DC's heartbeat on the pitch.

Last edited:

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
This is it in a nutshel.

It's the old phrase isn't it - the sum is greater than the parts. It's what they do as a unit that will keep us up. When I tell you Tom Pett could well be our player of the year, I imagine most Vale fans would be in complete shock, but he's been outstanding. And that's because he is DC's heartbeat on the pitch.
No... he would have been one of mine last season!

Pett isn't stand out or wont do anything that takes your breath away but he is Mr Consistent and keeps possession ticking over, one of those you don't notice as such but thats a good thing.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
That Matty Taylor signing is madness. I honestly thought he had retired or something. Saw a clip of his first game for FGR and he tried to run onto a through-ball, but looked like he was stuck in treacle

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
We're apparently signing/signed another one last night but it's a project one and three clubs are involved - so I'm assuming whoever it is, is heading straight out on loan.
Zak Bradshaw from Ipswich, young lad primarily played LCB by the looks of it and will be heading out on loan.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Ins:
(GK) Harry Lewis from Bradford
(CB) Sean Grehan from Palace (loan)
(CM) Harrison Neal from Sheff U
(CM) Josh Vela from Fleetwood
(LW) Jack Diamond from Sunderland (loan)
(ST) Luke Armstrong from Harrogate
(ST) George Kelly from Rotherham

Outs:
Luke Plange (loan ended)
Owen Moxon to Portsmouth
Ryan Edmondson to Australia
Joe Garner to Oldham

Overall I'd say we've strengthened, but no where near enough and not enough areas to even come close to staying up. If we were 10-12 points better off I'd say the above business is a good transfer window. It's all about next season now. Some of these should be useful players to have in League 2 next season.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
Don't think Bolton fans should expect much from Ramsay but they've had a good window. I expected they'd get autos at the start of the season, and now I think they'll win it.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
That Matty Taylor signing is madness. I honestly thought he had retired or something. Saw a clip of his first game for FGR and he tried to run onto a through-ball, but looked like he was stuck in treacle

I’ll offer the case for the defence on him here and say just see if he responds to being in a better team environment that DC has going at Cheltenham now. Looking at it previously it’s clear he fell out with Karl Robinson (not in exclusive company there), with us to be honest the squad environment second half of the season for many reasons it was impossible to succeed and FGR are just a circus. Maybe he is past it but I wouldn’t rule out him getting back on track there.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I’ll offer the case for the defence on him here and say just see if he responds to being in a better team environment that DC has going at Cheltenham now. Looking at it previously it’s clear he fell out with Karl Robinson (not in exclusive company there), with us to be honest the squad environment second half of the season for many reasons it was impossible to succeed and FGR are just a circus. Maybe he is past it but I wouldn’t rule out him getting back on track there.
I pray you're right.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We'll see. Obviously I hope he falls flat on his arse. The guy seems to love switching to a rival on deadline day

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City
Ins:
(GK) Harry Lewis from Bradford
(CB) Sean Grehan from Palace (loan)
(CM) Harrison Neal from Sheff U
(CM) Josh Vela from Fleetwood
(LW) Jack Diamond from Sunderland (loan)
(ST) Luke Armstrong from Harrogate
(ST) George Kelly from Rotherham

Outs:
Luke Plange (loan ended)
Owen Moxon to Portsmouth
Ryan Edmondson to Australia
Joe Garner to Oldham

Overall I'd say we've strengthened, but no where near enough and not enough areas to even come close to staying up. If we were 10-12 points better off I'd say the above business is a good transfer window. It's all about next season now. Some of these should be useful players to have in League 2 next season.
You've paid fees for 5 players! If that isn't enough then I don't know what is

LancashireTrotters

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
In
Nathaneal Ogbete
Calvin Ramsey
Caleb Taylor
Aaron Collins

Out
Few academy lads on loan

Cracking window, absolutely no reason why we shouldn’t be up there challenging for the automatics/title come the end of the season.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
In
Nathaneal Ogbete
Calvin Ramsey
Caleb Taylor
Aaron Collins

Out
Few academy lads on loan

Cracking window, absolutely no reason why we shouldn’t be up there challenging for the automatics/title come the end of the season.
I agree. If you don't go up this season, God help you.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
I agree. If you don't go up this season, God help you.
I take the opposite view, we are building year on year [no rush] All our key players are tied to long term contracts
A couple of long term injured to come back. We are a youngish squad Players like Forrester , Toal, Thomason and Morley are still learning and are getting better every month.
Season ticket pices have gone up, but are still cheaper than what they were 10 years back
If we go up we will have to make investment and i am not convinced long term it will be beneficial....Stay another season and i think we will need to spend very little the season after and we will be a much stronger team

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
I take the opposite view, we are building year on year [no rush] All our key players are tied to long term contracts
A couple of long term injured to come back. We are a youngish squad Players like Forrester , Toal, Thomason and Morley are still learning and are getting better every month.
Season ticket pices have gone up, but are still cheaper than what they were 10 years back
If we go up we will have to make investment and i am not convinced long term it will be beneficial....Stay another season and i think we will need to spend very little the season after and we will be a much stronger team
I disagree. This is the season. When we came up from league 2 I said a 3 yr build. Consolidate yr1, playoffs yr 2 then if we don’t get through the playoffs which we didn’t then we have to be getting promoted this season. If we don’t we will have to sell to balance the books and will lose the core of that squad - Santos, Charles, Baxter etc. Thomason already turned down championship. Sheehan is in the form of his life and could definitely make the step up. Toal could step up. We’ve rejected bids from Turkey for Adeboyejo. Bodvarsson out of contract. Our squad will be decimated if we don’t do it this season.

White horse

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
We need to go up this year without doubt, stagnation and frustration if we don't.

On a separate note Conor Bradley hasn't done too bad so far for Liverpool. The difference is when he puts those whipped crosses into the box Liverpool players hit the back of the net most times. whereas Charles needs at least 5 chances to score a goal

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
I disagree. This is the season. When we came up from league 2 I said a 3 yr build. Consolidate yr1, playoffs yr 2 then if we don’t get through the playoffs which we didn’t then we have to be getting promoted this season. If we don’t we will have to sell to balance the books and will lose the core of that squad - Santos, Charles, Baxter etc. Thomason already turned down championship. Sheehan is in the form of his life and could definitely make the step up. Toal could step up. We’ve rejected bids from Turkey for Adeboyejo. Bodvarsson out of contract. Our squad will be decimated if we don’t do it this season.
We are in the third tier of English Football averaging crowds of over 20k.........The stadium is used 365 days a year
Going up into the Championship is nothing more than a cash cow. All the players are on league one contracts, going up they will all be on improved money.
I doubt we be decimated and if we had to get rid of a player perhaps two....so what, we are a trading club

Of course i want promotion but the Championship is a poison Chalice

If we get promoted i see major investment and new owners.......Been there before it is not all good

LordJord

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
Twitter
@lordjordII
We have signed holding midfielder Dominic Gape until the end of the season. An area we very much are lacking in due to injuries.... although his recent injury record is not great so a bit concerning in itself.

thewwfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe
yeah, someone asked about him in one of the matchday threads.

He's a very good player, and we only got rid of him due to the injury record, but you just can't rely on him for that reason, he'll play 2 or 3 games and be out for 8, unfortunately. Rinse & repeat...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!