Stickied League 1 Transfer Rumours/Confirmed Transfers 2023/24

Robie

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
Joel Cooper has signed for us from Linfield

Gavin Whyte and Mark Sykes have been previous gems found hidden in Ireland.

THE LAST WALTZ

Reaction score
Supports
GILLINGHAM
I'll try and answer your questions to the best of my ability. 1. Regarding the manager ( GC ) Yes i believe he was told that but i believe there were significant reasons why. He was getting good results on the pitch but by god it was bloody awful to watch. He was'nt thought of as the man to take us forward. 2. With regards to funding -- You must have seen where our owner has come into quite a large amount on the death of his father. So yes we have acted with regards to that in strengthening the squad early and writing off all the clubs debts. We are also actively building a new state of the ark training centre as i write and are in negotiations for a site for the new ground. So i would think our owners are fairly rich. Of course it can all go tits up as have happened at clubs in the past -- But something tells me ( hopefully ) it won't happen to us. 3. When does "Economic sense " matter ? When a club is half way through a season and in the bottom three ? .I don't know. One thing i do know is the Third division is going to be really competitive next season and without a decent squad clubs will struggle. But i take your point -- Better to have a club playing in some capacity than no club at all.
What makes you think League One will be ‘really competitive’ next season George?
Unless something happens fairly soon I think it will be the least competitive in living memory.
Apart from a few clubs with larger resources and one with wealthy owners, the rest will be scrambling around trying to fill a squad with low paid freebies and youth team players.
Three or four teams will have the league to themselves.
It could look awfully lop-sided next season.

DearneValleyRover

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers, Sporting Leyland
What makes you think League One will be ‘really competitive’ next season George?
Unless something happens fairly soon I think it will be the least competitive in living memory.
Apart from a few clubs with larger resources and one with wealthy owners, the rest will be scrambling around trying to fill a squad with low paid freebies and youth team players.
Three or four teams will have the league to themselves.
It could look awfully lop-sided next season.
There will be a lot of out of work players who are going to face contracts with lower salaries, the fact that agent fees are taken into account some may approach clubs independently to secure a better wage using the lack of an agent fee, the other factor would be players looking for longer contracts on lower terms for some security. You could well be correct but I believe there will be plenty of decent players to be had if fans can come back ensuring the majority of clubs don’t go to the wall.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Lot of people are saying it looks the strongest line up for years.

Can’t see it, myself. The 3 relegated clubs - as they stand - are all basket cases. Usually, at least one gets promoted at the first attempt.

Judging by the POs there is a huge need for decent keepers - never seen such a bunch of useless stoppers.

Even the big hitters have been hit hard by Coronavirus and any incoming cap. Those who have made some signings look no more than solid, not spectacular.

So many good OOC players are available that any manager who knows what they’re doing could cobble a decent team together.

Urban

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Stats-wise Alexander is an interesting signing for Wimbledon - most attempted and successful crosses into the box (if I remember right, if not it will be a similar stat) and whilst I do feel I rightfully criticise him for some aspects of his game, he did offer us a fairly relentless outlet on that right wing.

He lacks a fair amount on the defensive side of things and this will show when he’s up against a tricky winger (Boldewijn gave him nightmares for example) but he is very rapid and there won’t be many beating him for pace.

Give him some protection from a player in front and let him bomb forward and he’ll create a few for you. But overall I am surprised to see him jump two leagues. Wish him all the best.

DippyDon

Reaction score
Supports
MK Dons
Twitter
@Dippydon_95
On paper it looks like a really strong league with the sheer amount of teams that historically shouldn’t be here. Ultimately though those clubs are here for a reason and a large chunk of them have massive issues that will possibly stop them from challenging. It’s a massive opportunity for the few clubs that have ridden the storm of COVID well enough to be able to make a real push for promotion

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Our club owner has said twice now in fans forums that he would prefer that any cap was linked to resources/income rather than a flat sum. But he has also said he recognises that there may need to be a flat sum to stop a lot of clubs going bust. What our CEO said was “we would prefer a cap is linked to resources, but we also recognise we want to play other sides next year.” Hence why I asked how some clubs, like Rovers who seem to be splashing the cash this off season can afford to do so.

I might be being slow here but I dont understand the logic your owner is putting forward there at all. If its set to resources or income or some other metric which takes into account what a club can afford, then by default the cap would be sustainable for that club? Not sure how a hard cap improves upon that situation at all, in fact a club could spend to the cap and not be able to afford it and still go bust because the cap isn't set to anything, its just a finger in the air "thats about right" type thing. And that argument reeks of owners wanting to pass the buck for responsible running of clubs to players rather than taking actual you know....ownership!

The fact no modelling of the impact of a cap appears to have been done is also a bad oversight, its just a general consensus "oh thats a good idea" and no ones done anything deeper to understand its impact to the economics of the game, which is pretty crazy when its one of the fundamental costs involved in the whole football industry.

THE LAST WALTZ

Reaction score
Supports
GILLINGHAM
I might be being slow here but I dont understand the logic your owner is putting forward there at all. If its set to resources or income or some other metric which takes into account what a club can afford, then by default the cap would be sustainable for that club? Not sure how a hard cap improves upon that situation at all, in fact a club could spend to the cap and not be able to afford it and still go bust because the cap isn't set to anything, its just a finger in the air "thats about right" type thing. And that argument reeks of owners wanting to pass the buck for responsible running of clubs to players rather than taking actual you know....ownership!

The fact no modelling of the impact of a cap appears to have been done is also a bad oversight, its just a general consensus "oh thats a good idea" and no ones done anything deeper to understand its impact to the economics of the game, which is pretty crazy when its one of the fundamental costs involved in the whole football industry.
A salary cap based on resources is what Leagues 1 & 2 currently have, I.e. 60% of income for players wages plus 100% of fortune income, being funds put in by the owner in the form of equity (not loans) plus player sales and cup runs.
The problem as I see it is that this, by its very nature, must be based on historical data.
In normal times that’s fine as there are not major fluctuations but in these unique times who knows what income levels will be?
Thus some feel that a hard cap in these uncertain times is the most prudent short term measure.
Not saying it is right or wrong, just trying to think of the logic behind the decision/proposal.

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)

I think the logic is that he believes we may be sustainable enough to exceed any hard cap through normal income, so why should we be limited the same amount as a team that has less income? But the reason why they recognise this position is not necessarily tenable for the league is that many team don’t have enough money, and a hard cap is necessary so they do not spend money they do not have.

I cannot help feeling that not all clubs will start the season, and several may not see the season out.

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
A salary cap based on resources is what Leagues 1 & 2 currently have, I.e. 60% of income for players wages plus 100% of fortune income, being funds put in by the owner in the form of equity (not loans) plus player sales and cup runs.
The problem as I see it is that this, by its very nature, must be based on historical data.
In normal times that’s fine as there are not major fluctuations but in these unique times who knows what income levels will be?
Thus some feel that a hard cap in these uncertain times is the most prudent short term measure.
Not saying it is right or wrong, just trying to think of the logic behind the decision/proposal.
I have a feeling some want to go down this road because they simply can’t compete at the top end of League 1 with the likes of Sunderland, Ipswich and Portsmouth plus those who come down every year - and thus want the easy way out. That division next season by the way is going to be a real difficult one with Charlton, Wigan and Hull coming down. Probably the strongest it’s best since Leeds were down here?

Last edited:

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Can’t see those 3 relegated clubs getting anywhere near. All in various degrees of turmoil.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Indeed you are. But did you not lose your manager last year because he felt there was not enough investment? Do you have the funding to offer three year contracts when I suspect few other clubs are? Are you over reaching yourselves and could be another Bury, Bolton or Southend? Or do you have rich owners with deep pockets so match day income is not important? To me, getting lots of players in does not make economic sense.

We have signed a few free transfers replacing players in squad who have gone (inc Sercombe and Clarke who would have been on decent wages), not splashing 6 figure fees like Blackpool

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Don’t get cocky mate, not at the moment.
I appreciate that you lot are excited due to your sugar daddy, and good luck to you, but most of us are genuinely worried that we may not have a club to support in 6 months time.
It will only take one set back and no fans in the ground in October and many clubs, even well run ones like ours will be in very real danger of going under.
So no, most clubs won’t be joining you in splashing the cash. Not at the moment.

Haha, salty....in any case see above post. Only splashing we are doing is on a new training base

DippyDon

Reaction score
Supports
MK Dons
Twitter
@Dippydon_95
Carlton Morris rejoins us on loan for the season. A stroke of genius from the club really, he was vital in our return to form in the second part of last season and his contract runs out next summer, so if he stays as important to the side we could get him on a free.

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town

Thanks, your point about historical data is a pertinent one certainly given present uncertainty on income I can see the logic in that now. If it’s a short term thing and subsequently relaxed then I see the advantages, long term I worry about the impacts.

THE LAST WALTZ

Reaction score
Supports
GILLINGHAM
Thanks, your point about historical data is a pertinent one certainly given present uncertainty on income I can see the logic in that now. If it’s a short term thing and subsequently relaxed then I see the advantages, long term I worry about the impacts.
I agree long term it would be unfair and unworkable.
There are such disparities in league 1 that if you set the cap too low it would unfair on the likes of Sunderland, Ipswich etc. Remember it want long ago we had Wolves and Sheffield United down here.
Set it too high and it becomes counter-productive.

Fedora Dale

Reaction score
Supports
Rochdale
12th September start date confirmed by EFL for Champ/L1/L2.

Still sorting out fixtures, but probably Dale V Posh first as usual...

Guernica

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Goalkeeper Ethan Ross signs from Colchester Utd on a 1 year deal.

dedwardp

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United
Goalkeeper Ethan Ross signs from Colchester Utd on a 1 year deal.

Disappointed with that one - he never had much of a chance but performed well on the occasions he did and seemed very promising. I was fully expecting him to start to transition to number one this season. Comes across as a real top bloke off the pitch too, he really gets what being a footballer is about at our levels and builds a good rapport with the supporters etc.

Plumbob

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
A bit like wanting to stop shops from putting chocolate bars by the till to stop people getting fat!
Take responsibility for your own actions.
Why on earth should a club like Sunderland be forced to have the same budget as Rochdale? Like you say linked to some easily monitored and transparent metric. Personally, I think each club should present it's forecast and business plan for the coming season, in line with some agreed framework and boundaries, and be audited against it during the season. Falling significantly short of the framework should be dealt with by clearly defined points deductions without ability to appeal. The situation around the bottom of the championship makes the current system look exactly what it is, a complete shit-show.

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
12th September start date confirmed by EFL for Champ/L1/L2.

Still sorting out fixtures, but probably Dale V Posh first as usual...
No Tuesday nights in September hopefully, but the EFL should also use this opportunity to include low key games too over long distance (ie Category C games). The last thing we want for example is Luton v Watford on the first game of the season with no one there.

I am also getting fed up with PL teams wanting to remove the EFL Cup and using this as a convenient excuse. They get 3 extra weeks and play 8 less league games!

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
A bit like wanting to stop shops from putting chocolate bars by the till to stop people getting fat!
Why on earth should a club like Sunderland be forced to have the same budget as Rochdale? Like you say linked to some easily monitored and transparent metric. Personally, I think each club should present it's forecast and business plan for the coming season, in line with some agreed framework and boundaries, and be audited against it during the season. Falling significantly short of the framework should be dealt with by clearly defined points deductions without ability to appeal. The situation around the bottom of the championship makes the current system look exactly what it is, a complete shit-show.

Agreed with this totally for longer term reform. Unfortunately with the current system I can’t see that being put in the rule books, the owners seem reluctant to pass through reforms to club ownership that puts the onus on themselves to improve things.

THE LAST WALTZ

Reaction score
Supports
GILLINGHAM
Just a couple of points:
Clubs have to submit accounts to the EFL twice a year under the current rules.
The situation in the Championship is totally irrelevant as they operate under a completely different set of rules to leagues one and two. They are governed by FFP not SCMP.
The proposed cap is purely a short term fix to protect clubs in unprecedented times.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
It’s a boon for shitty owners, though. Excess cash from having a cap will just disappear in their arse pockets.

THE LAST WALTZ

Reaction score
Supports
GILLINGHAM
That’s part of the problem Dan.
The current rules should suffice in normal times but the EFLs fit and proper test is about as much use as a handbrake in a canoe

LeonTheGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Plymouth Argyle Football Club
Looks like we are getting closer to signing Ryan Hardie from Blackpool. He really loved it down here last season for the 2 months he was here and scored 7 goals in 13 games, completing 90 mins just once.

Suspect there will be a fee involved, 200k I’ve seen on twitter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!