League 2 General Chat Thread

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
At the start of the season when we were letting huge numbers of goals in our xG against was comparable with loads of clubs conceding far less. But we were still letting the goals in, so it was a meaningless metric. Probably some use for data analysis internally but not much help for the fans.

I guess their counter argument would be that it happened with you, though - it was a freak run of form and you stopped conceding so many goals. But that’s at least partly because you sorted your goalkeeping situation out, which we have flatly refused to do for some reason.

I’m kind of in the middle of it all. I think the basic points behind at all are basically correct (we have lost an absurd number of games this season where we’ve had more of the play/chances than the opposition, we picked up more points at the start of the season than our performances really warranted, and we’ve picked up far less in 2024 than our performances have really warranted), but over a full season you end where you deserve and I worry how much it can take into account some of the intangible, mental stuff that also matters in football.

The proof is in what we do in the summer really. They’re not going to come out and say ‘our goalkeeers and defenders have been useless and we’re sorry they’ve cost us a shot at promotion’, but I’d still be surprised if we don’t basically just replace them all.

TheEndIsNigh

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
If I were an opposition fan reading that I’d be checking the odds on a Notts relegation next season. I can’t because winning would be too awful to contemplate.

I’ve no idea where this notion that we’ve been unlucky in the second half of the season comes from. You could just about argue we maybe deserved a point at Wrexham and Mansfield but those recent home defeats have been complete dogshit, deserved everything we got.

Let’s be right if Williams had stayed and overseen the record Maynard has he’d have gone long ago. Fuck knows where they get their obvious faith in him from.

dedwardp

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United
Good guesses.

Some clubs have massively underachieved, Colchester have spent a shit ton of money, it was them and Gillingham last January that started going mental. Unbelievable to think the former is in a relegation battle. They actually have a really good squad on paper.

Salford clearly cut back but will still be paying a lot of players top money with a big budget, MK always come down here with a top three budget.

Our budget is around 8-10th according to the chairman, so this season has indeed been a total disaster.

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
I guess their counter argument would be that it happened with you, though - it was a freak run of form and you stopped conceding so many goals. But that’s at least partly because you sorted your goalkeeping situation out, which we have flatly refused to do for some reason.

I’m kind of in the middle of it all. I think the basic points behind at all are basically correct (we have lost an absurd number of games this season where we’ve had more of the play/chances than the opposition, we picked up more points at the start of the season than our performances really warranted, and we’ve picked up far less in 2024 than our performances have really warranted), but over a full season you end where you deserve and I worry how much it can take into account some of the intangible, mental stuff that also matters in football.

The proof is in what we do in the summer really. They’re not going to come out and say ‘our goalkeeers and defenders have been useless and we’re sorry they’ve cost us a shot at promotion’, but I’d still be surprised if we don’t basically just replace them all.

Yeha I get that they don't want to castigated any particular players but there are clear deficiencies amongst your GK and Defenders. That said, if you strengthen those areas and keep everyone else (or at least replace anyone that left) Notts should be right up there next season.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Yeha I get that they don't want to castigated any particular players but there are clear deficiencies amongst your GK and Defenders. That said, if you strengthen those areas and keep everyone else (or at least replace anyone that left) Notts should be right up there next season.

I expect we’ll sell Jones. He’s only with us because of the injuries and he’s proven his fitness over a full season now, should clearly being playing as a winger at a top League One club at least. If we can get a few hundred grand in there it works for all parties and gives us enough to properly strengthen the positions that clearly need it.

I’d say we’re like three quarters of the way to a top League Two side, but the other quarter has been such a disaster it’s blown our season up. Should be obvious what needs doing.

Then the elephant in the room is the manager. I’m not as down on him as a lot of others yet, but clearly it’s not been great. He desperately needs a little run of three or four wins to end the season.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Yeah no way we keep what we've got and add. I get shot down for this view but I actually want us to cash in on Jodi 'in some randoms pocket' Jones or Macaulay 'only scores shit teams' Langstaff for two reasons. It will validate the owners approach to recruitment which I am a fan of and its been so good damn long since we had saleable assets that teams in higher leagues want and will pay for.

It's how they spend that money that will be key we have enough attacking talent and upgrading the defence and goalkeeper is not a hard task.

If Williams was still at Notts we'd be Top 10 imo but again we recruited someone top divisions higher wanted and paid for. Again something Notts fans aren't used to.

Part Time Stu needs a big improvement for me to want him to be here next season. He's got time to do it if the players want him here of course.

RavenBish

Antihero
Reaction score
Supports
Shola Ameobi's Notts County
Everyone wants our head of recruitment out as well even though he’s probably overseen the best recruitment in my lifetime as a Notts fan, so I think that’s a bit of evidence we’re all getting silly.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Everyone wants our head of recruitment out as well even though he’s probably overseen the best recruitment in my lifetime as a Notts fan, so I think that’s a bit of evidence we’re all getting silly.

Yeah no idea what’s going on there, definitely a few mistakes this season but nothing to tip the balance away from overall very good. Even in January we picked up three decent players on long contracts.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Have Notts just quite simply settled into a 'par' position?

You're not going to do much better than mid-table with a defence and defensive numbers like that, whether it's a system issue or just generally shite defenders. I've watched some of their goals conceded this season and it'd be offensive to Sunday League players to call it Sunday League defending really.

Williams way of playing was never going to be sustainable at this level, in my opinion anyway. Could've quite easily settled to around about where you are now even with him?

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Have Notts just quite simply settled into a 'par' position?

You're not going to do much better than mid-table with a defence and defensive numbers like that, whether it's a system issue or just generally shite defenders. I've watched some of their goals conceded this season and it'd be offensive to Sunday League players to call it Sunday League defending really.

Williams way of playing was never going to be sustainable at this level, in my opinion anyway. Could've quite easily settled to around about where you are now even with him?

Pretty much, albeit I have a hunch that LW is/was a more inspiring character and that probably translates to forcing a few more points over a season.

Our season collapsed when Matty Palmer got a season ending injury back in October. Lost our only defensive midfielder and most important playmaker in one and we’ve never quite worked out how to cope with it. I think if he was fit for the entire season we’d still be in the top seven, managerial change or not.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__

Think it’s fair to say he failed in January though?

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county

Kind of, but we did sign Macari, Robertson and Jatta on long deals who’ve all looked really good and will be key for us next season. We just completely ignored/neglected what we needed if we were going to make something of this season. It’s not so much what we did recruit that’s a problem but what we didn’t.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC

If a yes or no answer then it's a yes. But it is what we did or more accurately didn't do in the summer which is more problematic.

Overall out recruitment has been good bordering on very good under this regime. If they can keep pulling out absolute gems like Macca, Jones, Crowley, Jatta, Rodrigues etc I'm delighted. I just wish their super computer also included defensive players.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Kind of, but we did sign Macari, Robertson and Jatta on long deals who’ve all looked really good and will be key for us next season. We just completely ignored/neglected what we needed if we were going to make something of this season. It’s not so much what we did recruit that’s a problem but what we didn’t.

Just feels like the lack of any proper defensive signings you threw the season away no matter who is manager, quite obvious what you needed, and it was not a young lad on loan.

Feels a tad early on Jatta but fair points on the others.

Last edited:

Scum.

Reaction score
Supports
MK Dons
We will definitely be top 3 budget in L2. We were top 6-10 consistently in L1 for years apparently (maybe not now).

CFC91

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Good guesses.

Some clubs have massively underachieved, Colchester have spent a shit ton of money, it was them and Gillingham last January that started going mental. Unbelievable to think the former is in a relegation battle. They actually have a really good squad on paper.

Salford clearly cut back but will still be paying a lot of players top money with a big budget, MK always come down here with a top three budget.
York apparently have second biggest budget in the NL behind Oldham this season and look at the state of them. Complete shambles they have been by all accounts

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county

Hot on the heels of last week's nerd xG update from the owners, we've done an off the pitch one as well. Main things are we've bought a disused warehouse behind the ground to turn into a big fanzone, and we're completely rebuilding our pitch to make it Uefa standard and even sticking undersoil heating in. Whatever you think about the 'model' on the pitch, the job they're doing away from it is unreal, we've not seen this sort of investment into this stuff for years, probably since we rebuilt the ground. If they can sort us our own training ground in the next couple of years then they can make a spreadsheet the head coach tbh.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
If you have the money, or can find it, you simply have to invest in the infrastructure of the club. It's all very well concentrating on the short term but by ignoring it or putting it off you are doing nothing more than kicking the can down the road. The problem, the issues, the requirement doesn't magically disappear because you are doing better in the league tables.

Long term investment, income generating infrastructure developments are so important for a club's desire for sustainability, long term future of the club, and value/worth of club.

We've read similar on here following updates from Carlisle and Wrexham fans, and I'm sure there are many more. Great to see. Very grateful that the brothers are doing this. They've been amazing to date, long may it continue.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
If you have the money, or can find it, you simply have to invest in the infrastructure of the club. It's all very well concentrating on the short term but by ignoring it or putting it off you are doing nothing more than kicking the can down the road. The problem, the issues, the requirement doesn't magically disappear because you are doing better in the league tables.

Long term investment, income generating infrastructure developments are so important for a club's desire for sustainability, long term future of the club, and value/worth of club.

We've read similar on here following updates from Carlisle and Wrexham fans, and I'm sure there are many more. Great to see. Very grateful that the brothers are doing this. They've been amazing to date, long may it continue.

Yes, our new owners are focusing mostly on investing in the infrastructure and long term sustainability of the club and that's the way to go about it.

No one wants to be the next 'Bury'.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
Yeah we're the same tbf. Stott has upped playing budgets but has put plenty into the infastructure. Ground improvements where possible, our pitch has been a carpet for two seasons in a row due to pitch renovations with that adding fibres stuff to knit it all together better, we train at Man City's old training ground which is easily Champ standard maybe even PL standard with plans to build a new one in the Stockport borough. We have revamped academy and scouting after years of neglect (being out of the FL fucked our academy and made it worthless as teams can just come and knick your players for fuck all).

Just realeased more plans for our ground expansion with promises we'll never leave EP.

He's a local man and he's just converted his debt into equity which effectivley means the debt will not belong to the club and not be burdened with it.

RavenBish

Antihero
Reaction score
Supports
Shola Ameobi's Notts County

Hot on the heels of last week's nerd xG update from the owners, we've done an off the pitch one as well. Main things are we've bought a disused warehouse behind the ground to turn into a big fanzone, and we're completely rebuilding our pitch to make it Uefa standard and even sticking undersoil heating in. Whatever you think about the 'model' on the pitch, the job they're doing away from it is unreal, we've not seen this sort of investment into this stuff for years, probably since we rebuilt the ground. If they can sort us our own training ground in the next couple of years then they can make a spreadsheet the head coach tbh.

Excited for a few months time when all the amateur accountants on Twitter who don’t understand capital expenditure tell us how much debt we’re in.

Really positive stuff obviously. Already seen a couple moan about how we’re going to have to sell players to fund it all without realising the only way you can afford to not sell players is by increasing enduring revenue but there we go.

The Nest is a cool name as well although I’d have called it xP (expected pints)

Optipez

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
I think we've a good chance to go very close next season. We're going to strengthen, already have with Macari, Jatta and Robertson all improvements on what we started the season with.
The statement I thought was pretty anodine, didn't reveal too much except they're in it for the long haul.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
It does seem that a lot more Clubs in the lower divisions are investing far more in infrastructure than ever before.

Whether that's just a coincidence because the life cycle of infrastructure is coming to an end and/or owners more willing to invest and/or the whole 'fanzone' type thing is becoming more and more common I'm not sure.

We seem to have done something fairly sizeable every season for the last 8 years.

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Improving the fan experience has got to be a good thing, as long as it's adding more value into the high price of tickets and not an additional financial burden.

A trip to Nottingham should be a highlight away day (great city) and this will enhance it. Good stuff Notts.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Its a funny one, we've done it, as lets be honest the club had be rotting away for years with little investment into it and Flitcroft did wonders there, the Youth Team is now producing good talent either making the first team or going to top clubs, we have a new training centre, RW suite, score board, fan zone and are working on a huge football campus incorporating the college, Vale Park, new pitches to be built and the leisure centre... all with the idea of increasing revenue long term.... however when the team is struggling this usually gets fans frustrated as in our case, its great having a cryogenic chamber etc but no good if you have Ryan Loft in there rather than a goalscoring striker!

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Luke I suspect it's a bit of both tbh. Life cycles have been extended by many lower league clubs to go to frankly laughable levels and many including Meadow Lane needs plenty of work to be fit for purpose.

Not surprised to hear a progressive club like Lincoln have been doing infrastructure work regularly.

We are in pretty much unique and very fortunate situation that during a football season we will be able to generate serious income when Notts are both home and away thanks to the location of our near neighbours just across the river.

Assuming they are still a premiership club they commonly accommodate 3000 away fans for matches. They need somewhere local to drink, and somewhere where they are welcome. With a capacity of over 1000 many hundreds will surely flock to The Nest to drink, eat and watch games on the big screen before and after games. They are going to spend some serious money, probably more than Notts fans will before a home game.

The alternative nearby has been hugely successful but this looks like it will be on another level.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
I think more new owners have realised that coming in and waving a big wallet around just to immediately start splashing out on big wages and transfer fees while ignoring the leaky foundations of a club just doesn't work and does more harm than good. They have to begin with building from the ground up and have patience.

Anyone remember George Reynolds the criminal owner of Darlington FC in the noughties? He took them over and had a 25,000 all seater stadium built for a club with average attendances of just 4000 and it obviously ended very badly for them.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
I think more new owners have realised that coming in and waving a big wallet around just to immediately start splashing out on big wages and transfer fees while ignoring the leaky foundations of a club just doesn't work and does more harm than good. They have to begin with building from the ground up and have patience.

Anyone remember George Reynolds the criminal owner of Darlington FC in the noughties? He took them over and had a 25,000 all seater stadium built for a club with average attendances of just 4000 and it obviously ended very badly for them.
Can you stop posting sensible posts please as it makes me feel a bit uneasy.

Less than a mile (WAFC)

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham

Didn’t he do like £5 tickets for everyone thinking Middlesbrough and Newcastle fans would support them instead because it was cheaper…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yorkshire Amber
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!