Stickied League 2 Transfer Rumours/Confirmed Transfers 2023/24

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
They meant living within the means of billionaires
I'm not sure how it works, but it rarely seems to go well for players that take the money on offer down there. Before signing for Salford, Adam Rooney was named in the senior Ireland squad and playing for a club with a shot at European football, reportedly attracting the attention of bigger English clubs. He took the money on offer at Salford, and maybe the season and a half he spent there left him financially secure for life, but now he plays for Solihull.

You look at the likes of Hayden and Quigley and while you can understand that footballers have a very uncertain income and the chance to earn big can't be sniffed at... the big clubs that may be watching them now aren't going to be as interested in them playing non-league football and the clubs that can spend big to bring them in can also spend big to replace them after promotion. There have been some big clubs interested in Aaron Hayden... are they still going to be interested in him in twelve month's time when Wrexham release him by mutual consent?

BarraMatt

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
I'm not sure how it works, but it rarely seems to go well for players that take the money on offer down there. Before signing for Salford, Adam Rooney was named in the senior Ireland squad and playing for a club with a shot at European football, reportedly attracting the attention of bigger English clubs. He took the money on offer at Salford, and maybe the season and a half he spent there left him financially secure for life, but now he plays for Solihull.

You look at the likes of Hayden and Quigley and while you can understand that footballers have a very uncertain income and the chance to earn big can't be sniffed at... the big clubs that may be watching them now aren't going to be as interested in them playing non-league football and the clubs that can spend big to bring them in can also spend big to replace them after promotion. There have been some big clubs interested in Aaron Hayden... are they still going to be interested in him in twelve month's time when Wrexham release him by mutual consent?

I've seen some rumours that Carlisle were apparently interested in Arthur who we brought in on loan yesterday, so Hayden's departure may have been on the cards for a while?

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
I've seen some rumours that Carlisle were apparently interested in Arthur who we brought in on loan yesterday, so Hayden's departure may have been on the cards for a while?
Maybe, as Celtic were also reportedly interested in him... but also we're still trying to replace Rhys Bennett so I'm sure we were looking for a centre back anyway. We might be looking for two now

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
We looked at him about a month back, but not as a Hayden replacement. We were looking to add a centre back anyway, so now presumably we’ll be looking for two.

James Frost

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County

What sort of transfer fee do you think Carlisle be looking at? 100k?

Simpo

Reaction score
Supports
Oldham Athletic
Confirmed today. although they've been with us all week:

Danny Rogers, goalkeeper who was a regular at Kilmarnock last season, but performed badly. Should be fine as backup.
Ouss Cisse, defensive mid who started well at Orient but faded. If Keith Curle can keep him motivated we could have a player.
Jamie Bowden, deep-lying playmaker on loan from Spurs, who seems like he could be very handy for us.
Jacob Blyth, on a short term deal, who seems a joke signing. Supposedly a target man striker.

Last edited:

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
We've sold over 5000 season tickets and have a multi-million pound shirt sponsorship deal. I think that statement is still accurate.
Looking into both of those factors though:

Your season tickets are only £75 and apparently £11 for juniors. Surely even given the lower running costs in the National League those prices aren't sustainable... wouldn't surprise me if you're making a loss on ticket sales.

And your shirt sponsors are tiktok... are they really sponsoring you because they want to expand their market presence in North Wales or are they more interested in the publicity of being associated with the club that Deadpool owns?

Not saying it will happen, or wishing heartbreak on the Wrexham fans because they're a good group who have suffered far too long, but if Reynolds and McElheny did pull out then I would imagine tiktok would lose interest and ST prices would have to increase.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
What sort of transfer fee do you think Carlisle be looking at? 100k?
Would expect if they meet his release clause it'll be a six figure fee. Those clauses are put in with the assumption that a Championship, SPL or one of the big-name L1 clubs might come in for him. You'd hope we don't lower our expectations because Wrexham are non-league but as HG says, wouldn't put it past our owners.

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds

Danny Rogers, goalkeeper who was a regular at Kilmarnock last season, but performed badly. Should be fine as backup.
Ouss Cisse, defensive mid who started well at Orient but faded. If Keith Curle can keep him motivated we could have a player.
Jamie Bowden, deep-lying playmaker on loan from Spurs, who seems like he could be very handy for us.
Jamie Blyth, on a short term deal, who seems a joke signing. Supposedly a target man striker.

Is it Jacob Blyth? If so, yeah, he's pretty crap. Wasn't good enough for us in the National League, and I don't think he got much game time for Macclesfield the season after either.

Master D

Reaction score
Supports
The Natural Order

Your season tickets are only £75 and apparently £11 for juniors. Surely even given the lower running costs in the National League those prices aren't sustainable... wouldn't surprise me if you're making a loss on ticket sales.

And your shirt sponsors are tiktok... are they really sponsoring you because they want to expand their market presence in North Wales or are they more interested in the publicity of being associated with the club that Deadpool owns?

Not saying it will happen, or wishing heartbreak on the Wrexham fans because they're a good group who have suffered far too long, but if Reynolds and McElheny did pull out then I would imagine tiktok would lose interest and ST prices would have to increase.
I wish they were £75. Don’t know what you’re on about.

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC

Jamie Blyth, on a short term deal, who seems a joke signing. Supposedly a target man striker.
even funnier - it's actually Jacob Blyth

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
Is it Jacob Blyth? If so, yeah, he's pretty crap. Wasn't good enough for us in the National League, and I don't think he got much game time for Macclesfield the season after either.
had a short deal at Altrincham last year - but didn't last there long either.
He's engaged to Holly Hagan from Geordie Shore.....

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City

Nah, I wish them heartbreak. Had a perfectly good Supporters Trust who gave it all up the first time someone fluttered their eyelashes

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham

Our season tickets are not £75, you are looking at one of the concessions (over 80s) . I just paid £322.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots

Of course Tiktok could give two shits about Wrexham rather than their owners but all you can do is take advantage of the situation which they’ve done. It’s no different to how we used Robbie Williams name to flog record shirt sales last season really.

I hate the way the game is based so much on money now but I do think these are in it for the long haul as it happens. I’m pretty certain they wouldn’t want their name associated with driving a club to the wall just in term of reputation. And frankly if these hobby clubs like Salford can do it anything to help restore some natural order has to be done.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Of course Tiktok could give two shits about Wrexham rather than their owners but all you can do is take advantage of the situation which they’ve done. It’s no different to how we used Robbie Williams name to flog record shirt sales last season really.
But Robbie Williams is a Vale fan and clearly did it because he wants to help the club and I'm sure he would have done it regardless of what situation Vale were in. My point with Tiktok is that while it makes it look like the club is able to bring in money independently of their wealthy owners it doesn't really because if the owners dropped out then it would be back to getting sponsored by Bob's Taxis.

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Curzon Ashton....and Carlisle
Having not seen Carlisle the question for them who did last season is simply this…….

Is Hayden in the Derek Mounfield or Kevin Gray class on a weekly basis for Carlisle last season??

If he was then it is an enormous almost irreplaceable blow, if he wasn’t it is a blow due to timing but not a killer blow.

centre backs are very easy to find other positions have a much limited selection of options, it’s also a position you seem to find players can do well one club and dreadful the next or vice versa.

granted you end up with awful centre backs your in trouble but there are options around if you look well.

mots that utterly solid leader in the back line that has consistency they become totally dependable that are hard to replace but they happen very rarely……..a good one can be easily replaced.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Having not seen Carlisle the question for them who did last season is simply this…….

Is Hayden in the Derek Mounfield or Kevin Gray class on a weekly basis for Carlisle last season??

If he was then it is an enormous almost irreplaceable blow, if he wasn’t it is a blow due to timing but not a killer blow.

centre backs are very easy to find other positions have a much limited selection of options, it’s also a position you seem to find players can do well one club and dreadful the next or vice versa.

granted you end up with awful centre backs your in trouble but there are options around if you look well.

mots that utterly solid leader in the back line that has consistency they become totally dependable that are hard to replace but they happen very rarely……..a good one can be easily replaced.
Not day in day out but he's still only 24 and racking up experience. And I can't see us replacing him in any meaningful way.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
The announcement on Hayden after the game never came. Chris Beech didn't have much to say either, just that it's another player who developed here and has progressed (presumably likening the transfer to that of Braithwaite, McCarron and Galloway to Everton, Leeds and Leeds respectively).

I'm assuming Stockport have entered a late bidding war.

James Frost

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County
Amond & Telford both fit but left out of the squad yesterday. They could both be on their way out. Flynn mentioned last week that one or two players have been told they can leave.

Northenblues

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United

Sadly, he could’ve been playing top league one/ bottom championship if he’d stayed one more year and continued to play well. Money talks eh and I don’t blame him securing his financial future. I’ve heard the fee is around 250k, judging by yesterday’s performance we nee to go and get a target man and a pacey winger rather than a replacement.

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient

Jacob Blyth, on a short term deal, who seems a joke signing. Supposedly a target man striker.
Ouss has his uses - Go range of passing on his left peg and strong.

Last season without fans led him to becoming far, far too casual IMO. He would reguarly give the ball away needlessly and he hasn't got any pace which can expose him. He'll do ok I would've thought, Jackett prefers more dynamic midfielders which meant he wasn't going to last here very long and was basically binned off after our first friendly.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United

Sadly, he could’ve been playing top league one/ bottom championship if he’d stayed one more year and continued to play well. Money talks eh and I don’t blame him securing his financial future. I’ve heard the fee is around 250k, judging by yesterday’s performance we nee to go and get a target man and a pacey winger rather than a replacement.
I think it's been a really difficult decision for Hayden, don't think any player who takes the money on offer from the likes of Wrexham, Stockport or Salford (when they were non-league) relishes going back to playing the likes of Borehamwood (and in the case of Salford, don't know about the others, going back to substandard training facilities that aren't going to make you a better footballer.

But the average salary for a L2 footballer is around £55k, which is decent if you were earning that at the start of a career expected to last into your sixties but not all that great considering your career as a senior pro will last 15 years if you're lucky and you're only ever a year or two away from your career potentially ending. You have to weigh up professional progression from playing at a higher level against knowing that when you enter the job market in your mid thirties with a skillset most employers don't understand or respect, you'll have more than a few years worth of living expenses saved up.

Any pro footballer at this level will tell you that it's really difficult when your career ends, not just financially but mentally, making an adjustment not too dissimilar to those who come out of the military, and nobody at this level just walks straight into a cushy media job, or is handed a professional coaching position. They don't get a lot of sympathy either because they get tarred with the same brush as the Premier League footballers of being ridiculously overpaid. Some of them really do struggle and most have very little time to find a job, often ending up at the lower paid end of the labour market.

With the money we get from Wrexham we should be able to bring in two or three new players, shame this didn't happen earlier on the window as we could have afforded to keep some of the other players we lost.

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
I think it's been a really difficult decision for Hayden, don't think any player who takes the money on offer from the likes of Wrexham, Stockport or Salford (when they were non-league) relishes going back to playing the likes of Borehamwood (and in the case of Salford, don't know about the others, going back to substandard training facilities that aren't going to make you a better footballer.

But the average salary for a L2 footballer is around £55k, which is decent if you were earning that at the start of a career expected to last into your sixties but not all that great considering your career as a senior pro will last 15 years if you're lucky and you're only ever a year or two away from your career potentially ending. You have to weigh up professional progression from playing at a higher level against knowing that when you enter the job market in your mid thirties with a skillset most employers don't understand or respect, you'll have more than a few years worth of living expenses saved up.

Any pro footballer at this level will tell you that it's really difficult when your career ends, not just financially but mentally, making an adjustment not too dissimilar to those who come out of the military, and nobody at this level just walks straight into a cushy media job, or is handed a professional coaching position. They don't get a lot of sympathy either because they get tarred with the same brush as the Premier League footballers of being ridiculously overpaid. Some of them really do struggle and most have very little time to find a job, often ending up at the lower paid end of the labour market.

With the money we get from Wrexham we should be able to bring in two or three new players, shame this didn't happen earlier on the window as we could have afforded to keep some of the other players we lost.

Stockport train at Man Citys old training centre (formerly leased to Bury FC RIP) we are looking to build a new facility but currently use our old training centre at Colliers Park, which was asset stripped off us and is now an FAW training centre. Both are impressive facilities no different than you'd get at a league club. Its definitely an advantage over a lot of other monied non league teams.

unnamed (16).jpg

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Stockport train at Man Citys old training centre (formerly leased to Bury FC RIP) we are looking to build a new facility but currently use our old training centre at Colliers Park, which was asset stripped off us and is now an FAW training centre. Both are impressive facilities no different than you'd get at a league club. Its definitely an advantage over a lot of other monied non league teams.

View attachment 15047
Salford City, as far as I can tell, still train on some playing fields they lease off a school... though they have also been reported as using ManU's old (really old) training complex. They did want to lease Man City's but apparently City weren't keen on it given the ManU connection.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool

Not like most clubs are able to make a counter offer anywhere close either.

Simple, people need money for whatever reason. We'd all bugger off to the highest payer in the job market so why not footballers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hudders
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!