Play-offs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UTS

He did get found out - his problem was though he tried and put in lots of effort, he wasn't fast enough to be "pacy forward" nor was he built enough to be a "holding player" he was a kinda mix between both.

Again, I would know about him being found out, as I saw him play - lots. So in short even though the league is/was crap, he wasn't good enough at the time. I don't think he would have made it regardless of whether he played for us, or Shrewsbury at the time. Maybe if Grimsby come up with a settled side and system it might work for him a second time round - I bloody hope it does - he's a decent lad.

I hope that simplifies it enough for you.
No it doesn't, please elaborate.

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
Wembley pitch should suit both sides, which couldn't be said for either of the other semi-finalists.

I have to say that the pitch at the Mem was excellent yesterday, just a pity my team didn't make better use of it. It might not surprise you that our forum has pretty much gone into meltdown mode about the dreadful longball football we are being forced to endure, as witnessed in both play-off games. This is a pity as we do have players more than capable of playing a more cultured game, but maybe that is what you should expect from a manager who learnt his trade working at Stoke with Tony Pulis.

Gashead

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I have to say that the pitch at the Mem was excellent yesterday, just a pity my team didn't make better use of it. It might not surprise you that our forum has pretty much gone into meltdown mode about the dreadful longball football we are being forced to endure, as witnessed in both play-off games. This is a pity as we do have players more than capable of playing a more cultured game, but maybe that is what you should expect from a manager who learnt his trade working at Stoke with Tony Pulis.

Hope you don't mind me analysing, but two key problem areas for FGR for me...

Two big 'target' men up front, with both Guthrie and Parkin collecting the ball but not having anybody to link up with. This was especially evident in the 1st leg, as Parkin kept shooting ineffectively from 30/35 yards out, lots of Arnold's kicks kept going straight through to Puddy as well. I think the fact you didn't even have a shot on target yesterday says it all. You'll hate me for it, but somebody like Taylor, who runs in behind would have been ideal for you lot. Not only would a striker of this mould bring more goals to the team, but it would allow Parkin/Guthrie some breathing space to get forward themselves.

The defence - particularly the centre-backs. Clough literally struggled whenever the ball was at his feet, Coles looked past it yesterday (still recovering from injury?). I know you've had injuries back there, but how are the likes of Sinclair, Frear etc. going to prosper and create chances when Clough et al. hoof it up to Parkin every single time they have the ball?

Maybe some of this is tactical, and so you'd have to question whether Pennock can take you that one step further if he continues with that style. You have numbers of talented players, yet they're not utilised at all. Frear, for example, is a classic example of somebody who could create so much for Parkin, Guthrie and this 'poacher' I talk of, yet he is completely bypassed with the system you use.

I think there's a difference between using the long ball up to Parkin as a 'Plan B', and doing this every single time you have the ball. It becomes predictable, and easy for defences who can deal with him.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Grimsby fans, you've changed your tune! I thought you lot said we beat you comfortably at your place, even saw comments about the best team in the league! ;)

But I actually agree. I hope so badly that Disley doesn't score

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
Gashead, won't re-quote all of your post but it might not surprise you to hear that I agree with every word of it, many FGR fans are saying exactly the same things...some of them far less eloquently or in such considered terms.

We misused Taylor completely when he was with us, largely using the route one over the top approach. He was often isolated and found himself having to win the ball, then defend it, before other team-mates joined him in attack. He arrived from Brackley as a fresh faced lad who had scored goals for fun, albeit at a lower level, and marketed himself as a "fox in the box". We never allowed him to fulfil his potential and I am pleased that he has been given the opportunity to do precisely that, albeit with a rival team, you may struggle to hold on to him if he has another season as good as the one just ending.

You will have seen how gutted Sam Russell was yesterday, he loves FGR and the fans love him, he doesn't want to leave but isn't a Pennock player. The comments I heard in the crowd yesterday about his replacement were shocking. The differences between the two aren't that great, both are good shot-stoppers, have a reasonable command of their box but Arnold just kicks the ball too far. It is like comparing a mortar with a howitzer, at least with Russell it often landed in the midfield area rather than going straight to the opposition goalie.

Frear has enough skill to cause most defences to have kittens, he genuinely excites when running with the ball at his feet, his crossing isn't too shabby either. Guthrie has been another positive this season but he too is often put in a position where he is forced to try and win a ball chucked over the top, fortunately for us he rarely fouls an opponent, the only time he caused any problems yesterday was when he ran at defenders with the ball. He has a fair amount of skill and most of his goals have been from a quality of finish rarely seen in the Conference, but sadly not often enough with the system we play.

I hate the long ball. Despite being totally disappointed that we failed to show up completely in the play-offs, I am optimistic that the manager will do some soul searching over the summer and change his approach to games. We need a plan-B that isn't stick with plan-A but just try harder. If we aren't showing a little more guile on the pitch in the first half of next season then it might be that Mr Vince has to bite the bullet and recycle his manager!

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I really rated frear in the first leg, thought he tor Lockyear apart. We were relieved to see him come off!

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Hope you don't mind me analysing, but two key problem areas for FGR for me...

Two big 'target' men up front, with both Guthrie and Parkin collecting the ball but not having anybody to link up with. This was especially evident in the 1st leg, as Parkin kept shooting ineffectively from 30/35 yards out, lots of Arnold's kicks kept going straight through to Puddy as well. I think the fact you didn't even have a shot on target yesterday says it all. You'll hate me for it, but somebody like Taylor, who runs in behind would have been ideal for you lot. Not only would a striker of this mould bring more goals to the team, but it would allow Parkin/Guthrie some breathing space to get forward themselves.

The defence - particularly the centre-backs. Clough literally struggled whenever the ball was at his feet, Coles looked past it yesterday (still recovering from injury?). I know you've had injuries back there, but how are the likes of Sinclair, Frear etc. going to prosper and create chances when Clough et al. hoof it up to Parkin every single time they have the ball?

Maybe some of this is tactical, and so you'd have to question whether Pennock can take you that one step further if he continues with that style. You have numbers of talented players, yet they're not utilised at all. Frear, for example, is a classic example of somebody who could create so much for Parkin, Guthrie and this 'poacher' I talk of, yet he is completely bypassed with the system you use.

I think there's a difference between using the long ball up to Parkin as a 'Plan B', and doing this every single time you have the ball. It becomes predictable, and easy for defences who can deal with him.

You've absolutely nailed it. Shame you seem to have far more tactical nous then our manager. Would you like a new job?

I have no idea what Pennock was hoping to achieve, firstly by going into the ties with the attitude of it being job done in reaching the play-offs, which he said publicly, secondly playing such a dire predictable brand of hoofball and thirdly making strange team selections, with players who are not fit being picked. Of the team who started yesterday, 3 were carrying injuries, with one, Bennett, clearly needing to come off, which for some reason didn't happen until after we'd conceded with him unable to run, forcing Coles to try and cover and get skinned by Taylor. We also had Jennings come into the team for his debut, having been injured for the entire season, and unsurprisingly was rusty, when we have a perfectly good left back in Chris Stokes who we've loaned to Coventry where he's playing week in week out.

Our centre halves all struggled to cope with Taylor in particular, Coles did better then Clough but doesn't look fully fit and our distribution from the back 4 and particularly our keeper, was shocking.

I would love to have Taylor back in the team, 2 target men doesn't work well against strong defences and given how we seemed incapable of getting down the flanks and putting decent crosses in, you wonder what the point of playing 2 big strikers is.

Well done for yesterday. Bristol Rovers are a fantastic football club who don't deserve to be at this level. You were miles better then us in both games and the atmosphere generated by your support was excellent. The likes of McChrystal and Parkes at the back, Lines in midfield and Taylor up front were a cut above our players and we looked out of our depth.

Good luck in the final.

pontoonlew

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
It'd be almost fate that we'd replace Tranmere and Cheltenham if we were to win. Two sides who's results against us have shaped our history so much. Tranmere especially as their fans revelled in our relegation all those years ago.

les.gtfc

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Grimsby fans, you've changed your tune! I thought you lot said we beat you comfortably at your place, even saw comments about the best team in the league! ;)

But I actually agree. I hope so badly that Disley doesn't score

Rather bizarrely, the best team to come to Blundell Park this season was Torquay.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
Palmer has done ok and scored us crucial goals not sure how good he would be in lge 2 though, would be happy if he stay but also wouldn't lose sleep if we didn't sign him but think being next to someone like LJL suits him

GEORGE

Bristol Rovers
Reaction score
Supports
bristol rovers
You've absolutely nailed it. Shame you seem to have far more tactical nous then our manager. Would you like a new job?

I have no idea what Pennock was hoping to achieve, firstly by going into the ties with the attitude of it being job done in reaching the play-offs, which he said publicly, secondly playing such a dire predictable brand of hoofball and thirdly making strange team selections, with players who are not fit being picked. Of the team who started yesterday, 3 were carrying injuries, with one, Bennett, clearly needing to come off, which for some reason didn't happen until after we'd conceded with him unable to run, forcing Coles to try and cover and get skinned by Taylor. We also had Jennings come into the team for his debut, having been injured for the entire season, and unsurprisingly was rusty, when we have a perfectly good left back in Chris Stokes who we've loaned to Coventry where he's playing week in week out.

Our centre halves all struggled to cope with Taylor in particular, Coles did better then Clough but doesn't look fully fit and our distribution from the back 4 and particularly our keeper, was shocking.

I would love to have Taylor back in the team, 2 target men doesn't work well against strong defences and given how we seemed incapable of getting down the flanks and putting decent crosses in, you wonder what the point of playing 2 big strikers is.

Well done for yesterday. Bristol Rovers are a fantastic football club who don't deserve to be at this level. You were miles better then us in both games and the atmosphere generated by your support was excellent. The likes of McChrystal and Parkes at the back, Lines in midfield and Taylor up front were a cut above our players and we looked out of our depth.

Good luck

Good luck in the final.
Got to say I really like that lad Guthrie a proper footballer and was also extremely glad when Frear was substituted. Did'nt like the way your full back ( Jennings I think ) tried to con the ref he was fouled and injured. Sorry to see Danny Coles play like that -- Don't think you'll see him in a green shirt again.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Yeah Guthrie has done very well, he's still young and a bit raw at times but he's got all the attributes to be a top striker at this level. Frear is the best out and out winger we've had in a long time, if ever, you'd just like to see him go past his man get to the by-line more often in games.

Jennings staying down annoyed me, as he wasn't injured and we were running out of time to get back in the game.

Coles is currently assistant manager, but despite that seems to have fallen down the pecking order after being sent off at Altrincham. Thought he wasn't too bad yesterday, but like the rest of our defence, struggled to deal with your attack. Not sure if he'll be happy to sit on the bench next season, even with some coaching duties.

Be a shame if he doesn't stay, he's a good solid experienced pro, who could benefit the likes of Clough and Racine. I'd have him in the team, but Pennock has his favourites.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I actually thought Coles had a decent game for FGR?

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
He was definitely better then Clough in the first leg. His lack of pace can be an issue but he is generally very solid.

Our defence had real problems containing Taylor in particular though, whoever played against him. Blissett also looked a threat, you've got some pretty good forward options with the likes of Harrison and Easter to come back.

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
Chris is right about Guthrie, definitely a bit on the raw side but he is a skilful player. The strange thing is that he is a bit marmite with our fans. I meet up with about a dozen others before home games, half of us sing his praises but the other half remain to be convinced. Bizarrely it was his performance in our league win at the Mem that convinced me how good he was already and how good he might become. It was fairly clear that he had been targeted by the Gas as a possible weak link in our side. Assuming our team had been scouted before the game then that might have been a reasonable assumption, given his age and experience. He didn't react to whatever was thrown his way and it was clear, from his reaction, at the final whistle that he knew he had done good and contributed to what we regarded as a massive victory.

les.gtfc

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
I wonder if Craig Disley will celebrate when he scores the winner at Wembley. :bg:

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
If he does, he will be a disgrace to the footballing world. I'd be disgusted.

Only joking, under normal circumstances I'd expect him to do a Danny Welbeck against United, which is the perfect one imo. In this game, I would expect him to go mental, if we're not 5-0 up by that point of course. I would fully expect him not to celebrate at this point ;)

Heisenberg20

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Should be a good final, two of the biggest clubs outside of the FL.
Dopey Darrell Clarke wow fair play can see his passion cant knock him for that but that could come back to haunt Rovers.
Grimsby have done their time in the Conference, maybe its their time to return?

GTFC1979

Reaction score
Supports
grimsby town
Rather bizarrely, the best team to come to Blundell Park this season was Torquay.
At the time Torquay were, but i thought Rovers were on another level to Torquay when they beat us.

miagsygas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Should be a good final, two of the biggest clubs outside of the FL.
Dopey Darrell Clarke wow fair play can see his passion cant knock him for that but that could come back to haunt Rovers.
Grimsby have done their time in the Conference, maybe its their time to return?

I've seen a bit of people slagging off DC for it. Personally I bloody love it.

Acts like DC on Sunday, like Grimsby's pitch invasion, acts of celebration, since when has football been a game that your not allowed to show emotion. I bloody hope DC thinks we are going up, we need to have belief and I'm sure Grimsby believe it also. Maybe people will say it's celebrating early, it's not tactful and it can come and bite us in the ass, all might be true, but I won't have a go at DC for being passionate or caring when the opposite has almost killed our club and I can't see one of our fans on forums or twitter that has spoke out against it and that's good enough for me.

GodsGift

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Of course Bristol Rovers fans will love it, supporters are smitten for anything that shows "PASSION" and "COMMITMENT". It's just so damn unprofessional and something you'd expect to find from a Sunday league manager in the Dog and Duck after winning the local cup final. If I was Paul Hurst I'd show that to his squad tomorrow morning at training - not just to motivate them, but to give them a fucking good laugh as well.

You do realise you can show passion without getting pissed up and having a sing song with the LADS in the pub, don't you?

Sparrow

Reaction score
Supports
Woking FC
Of course Bristol Rovers fans will love it, supporters are smitten for anything that shows "PASSION" and "COMMITMENT". It's just so damn unprofessional and something you'd expect to find from a Sunday league manager in the Dog and Duck after winning the local cup final. If I was Paul Hurst I'd show that to his squad tomorrow morning at training - not just to motivate them, but to give them a fucking good laugh as well.

You do realise you can show passion without getting pissed up and having a sing song with the LADS in the pub, don't you?

I thought exactly the same. I said on Sunday that Bristol were very professional following their win and Grimsby weren't. Clarke's actions have evened things out now. That video will certainly do the rounds again if Bristol lose.

Gashead

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I dunno, I think its a bit harsh given he was unintentionally part of a video which got uploaded to a social media site. If the video of him singing Goodnight Irene or singing about Wembley had been uploaded, no one would have batted an eye lid.

Let's be honest, none of this will impact the game or matter in 12 days time. If we lose it won't be because DC had a laugh with some fans at a local pub, and likewise if we win it won't be because each Grimsby player had a bottle of Budweiser on the pitch after the Eastleigh game. This 'stick it up on the dressing room wall' crap is nonsense. I'll be glad if Hurst sticks stuff up on the walls at Wembley. If a team can't get motivated for a play-off final to win a place in the FL at Wembley without some picture of the other team celebrating after the semi-finals, then I don't think they were ever going to win in the first place.

Clarke and Hurst have set their teams up professionally throughout the season, and that will be exactly the case on the 17th. Nothing to worry about there, both teams will be fit and ready and it should be an excellent game.

Aber gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol rovers
I'm sure Clarke having drinks in the vic with a few supporters will have no bearing on whether we get promoted or not . I personally think it's great and it's nice to see the manager connecting with the fans although I can also see from other fans point of view it might come across fairly tinpot .

miagsygas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
For absolute years, not just last season, there has been a fractuous relationship between the club and the fans. The result was the outpouring of anger on the final day of last season, which videos will do the rounds also. Don't get me wrong, it may be tinpot, it may be motivate the opposition, but it'll motivate a fanbase also. Clarke has bit by bit, piece by piece, reunited the club. There are still issues, there are still problems with the board, but there was no way in hell I thought this season we'd have got gates of 10/11 thousand at the end of it, with the fans singing "we've got our Rovers back". Clarke has his flaws, but some of why he's my favourite manager in my lifetime (i'm only 25 to be fair, although with the rate we've got through managers lately it's still alright) is because he has an honesty and because he's a downright good bloke and he has shown passion all year, in all the right ways. A bit of harmless singing in the pub means nothing, it certainly won't be a reason we lose to Grimsby.

He had a outburst of emotion a year after what he mentioned as one of the worst days of his life. So what?

As mentioned by others, Grimsby will be motivated because they want to get promotion. Not because Clarke had a few beers and chanted a song.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
As mentioned by others, Grimsby will be motivated because they want to get promotion. Not because Clarke had a few beers and chanted a song.

Agreed. As soon as we scored our first in the second leg the exact same chant was ringing around Bristol Rovers. Loved hearing the Town players singing our chants in the dressing room and I actually loved that pissed up Clarke speech and the singing. I don't think there are many Rovers fans getting pissed off about our pitch invasion and I don't think there are many Town fans getting pissed off about Clarke having a sing song. Both sets of supporters seem to be acting respectfully towards each other over the internet, as I think both know that each side is capable of beating the other and that this final will be very much in the balance until it gets going.

miagsygas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Agreed. As soon as we scored our first in the second leg the exact same chant was ringing around Bristol Rovers. Loved hearing the Town players singing our chants in the dressing room and I actually loved that pissed up Clarke speech and the singing. I don't think there are many Rovers fans getting pissed off about our pitch invasion and I don't think there are many Town fans getting pissed off about Clarke having a sing song. Both sets of supporters seem to be acting respectfully towards each other over the internet, as I think both know that each side is capable of beating the other and that this final will be very much in the balance until it gets going.

I think the Bristol City fans are more outraged than the Grimsby fans, which is weird seeing as we a) "aren't their rivals anymore" b) they just had their open top bus ceremony yet and c) "they just don't think about us atall anymore"

I've got a lot of respect for Grimsby and forgetting about the singing, I'm pretty sure Clarke does too, especially seeing as he seems pretty pally with your manager and has complimented the job he's done all season.

miagsygas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Wembley tickets purchased!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!