Play-offs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
Someone who even Owen Oyston thinks is a huge bell end? That is a low blow.

I remember the failed takeover and Haythornthwaite went crying to the papers at how mediocre Blackpool were and how the Oystons were content with League One mediocrity just because they chose the Latvian investment over his because Haythornthwaite had provided no sufficient evidence that he could afford the takeover bid and wouldn't disclose where he got his finances from. I would've loved to have seen his face when Blackpool made the Premier League subsequently!

Even the papers called him bitter, it's clear to see Fylde are the biggest of all the vanity projects in non-league football run by a very very bitter man.

miagsygas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It's always easy for the bigger clubs to wish the tinpotters success, when they haven't been turned over by them.; Might be a different story if the shoe were on the other foot.

Don't get me wrong, we deserve to be here and we don't deserve to win the league on crowd size. I think MOST Rovers fans get that, on a whole we've adjusted quite well. That being said, it will hurt me more to lose to FGR or Eastleigh over Grimsby because it reminds me more of our own failures. Sky did a report the other week and there are only two clubs underachieving more to their average level in the last 50 years more than us. So yeah, when we lose and see other teams better than us it's not exactly a walk in the park. Added with the crap we go through off the pitch in terms of stadium, some fans get frustrated, do you think they should lie there and take it?

Crewelad87

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
I'd much rather a traditional league club came back up than a member of the tinpot brigade. So Grimsby or Bristol Rovers.

George Reilly's Hairpiece

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
As long as clubs can pay their bills, I don't really care whether they are being put into an artificial position. When we lost out goalkeeper, Jake Cole, to Plymouth, a very short while following their debts being written off in effect, that was very annoying.

Cardsfan

Reaction score
Supports
Woking
It's always easy for the bigger clubs to wish the tinpotters success, when they haven't been turned over by them.; Might be a different story if the shoe were on the other foot.

Don't get me wrong, we deserve to be here and we don't deserve to win the league on crowd size. I think MOST Rovers fans get that, on a whole we've adjusted quite well. That being said, it will hurt me more to lose to FGR or Eastleigh over Grimsby because it reminds me more of our own failures. Sky did a report the other week and there are only two clubs underachieving more to their average level in the last 50 years more than us. So yeah, when we lose and see other teams better than us it's not exactly a walk in the park. Added with the crap we go through off the pitch in terms of stadium, some fans get frustrated, do you think they should lie there and take it?
Who were the other 2 out of interest?

Pliny Harris

Frightened Inmate #2
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
The Provisional Brotherhood
Who were the other 2 out of interest?

Stockport would make sense right this minute and uh, us. Cos we're MASSIVE.

I'm guessing Bratfud City would be down there because they've spent much of the last 50 years at the bottom level. It's a weird one to rank.

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
As a Northampton fan I'd rather Grimsby/Rovers came up over the other 2 nothing sides. In fact, Morecambe/Accrington/Burton etc should all be replaced.

Can't buy fans which the teams I've mentioned have clearly failed to do. We played Burton on Saturday and there was no emotion in the ground at all considering they were promoted and on course for the title. Irritates me, considering some of the teams in the Conference that are struggling to get out.

I'd much rather play Lincoln/Wrexham etc because those games feel like events.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Interestingly after 41 games played, we were 8 goals behind Grimsby on GD, we ended up being 5 ahead of them. Finally we can prove we can score goals which will hopefully give us some confidence for the play offs.

Off the top of my head, we scored 18 goals in the last 5 games which is about what we scored after 18/19 games!

Would love to play Grimsby at Wembley, How many would you lot bring? 20/25,000?

miagsygas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Interestingly after 41 games played, we were 8 goals behind Grimsby on GD, we ended up being 5 ahead of them. Finally we can prove we can score goals which will hopefully give us some confidence for the play offs.

Off the top of my head, we scored 18 goals in the last 5 games which is about what we scored after 18/19 games!

Would love to play Grimsby at Wembley, How many would you lot bring? 20/25,000?

The Chris Lines effect perhaps, Gassy.

I was by no means his biggest fan in the first spell, but his creativity has give us a massive boost. Pretty sure he's on double digit assists and he's only been here for a couple of months.

Let's not talk about Wembley quite yet!

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
As a Northampton fan I'd rather Grimsby/Rovers came up over the other 2 nothing sides. In fact, Morecambe/Accrington/Burton etc should all be replaced.

Can't buy fans which the teams I've mentioned have clearly failed to do. We played Burton on Saturday and there was no emotion in the ground at all considering they were promoted and on course for the title. Irritates me, considering some of the teams in the Conference that are struggling to get out.

I'd much rather play Lincoln/Wrexham etc because those games feel like events.

I'm just bitter that all our traditional local rivals have ended up in the non-leagues whilst forgettable crap like Morecambe who finish 13th-16th every year are hanging onto League Two like limpets. If we stay up, I can't see us travelling well to Burton away because it isn't the same as Wrexham, Stockport or Tranmere. Hell even if I've always called them tinpot Chester too! Games with sides like Burton just lack an edge because they're just happy to be where they are and fair play to them because they've spent within their means. But I think we, as fans, want a reinstatement of traditional rivalry with like-minded clubs I guess.

Rovers to go up because we need a Westcountry team back after the brutal loss of Torquay and Cheltenham. Alternatively Grimsby up would be great because their fans are absolute class, was on the train to Chesterfield the other week when they played Alfreton and they were brilliant and in fine voice! Remember playing them in the Championship too!

miagsygas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
So tomorrow brings the first playoff semi (gotta love a semi) - Forest Green vs Bristol Rovers.

The regular season games saw FGR holding the advantage, whereas the Gas finished higher in the table. Both teams will be in good form and good confidence going into the game. It's bound to be an intriguing contest with individual battles all over the pitch, the likes of Parkes vs Parkin, Mansell vs Rob Sinclair (shame it looks unlikely we'll see a Sinclair vs Sinclair battle, unless Stuart recovers for the second leg or is on the bench for this one) Lines vs Pipe, Harrison vs Coles.

It's highly possible that the first leg could be a cagey affair, with neither team wanting to give too much away on the first leg. FGR will hold some confidence knowing they were one of the only two teams to win at the Mem this season, so where some teams might be desperate to win their home game against the Gas, FGR may feel it not imperative.

Bristol Rovers, however, will feel they should have won the first game at FGR's ground, unluckily conceding to a deflected Parkin effort. Added with the local nature of the teams and potential of Bristolians in the FGR end, it has the makings of a decent spectacle.

I'd personally imagine the BR lineup (trying my best not to say "Rovers" throughout this post) will be unchanged from the weekend, although truthfully, you never know with Clarke. Probably one of the few managers who would change the team even after a 7-0 win. I believe, although i could be wrong, FGR could have a injury change, meaning possibly moving Pipe to RB or LB out from his current CM position, i'm sure Forest Green fans can comment on that better.

I'd obviously take a draw from the first leg, a win would be perfect though. Do away goals count in Conference playoffs?

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
I agree it will be cagey, first legs often are and we generally set up to be hard to beat first and foremost.

Pipe has been really good in cm, a real leader, so it will be a shame if he's forced to play left back. With Kelly and Bender both likely to miss out, that could well happen. We might have further problems if Bennett, who was struggling on Saturday, doesn't recover in time, as that will mean we'll need to deploy a makeshift right back, most likely Kamdjo.

I thought that The Gas probably shaded both league games, so the results being in our favour doesn't mean too much really, except for the fact that we know we can win at the Mem.

Like Miagsygas says, some interesting battles, shame the battle of the beards wont take place but we've got a few ex-Gas in key roles who'll be desperate to do well, with the likes of Coles (who's now player-assistant manager), Pipe (captain) and Clough (who's been a rock at cb since signing in Jan) all likely to be involved. Obviously Matty Taylor will also be up against his old club, and given his feelings towards Pennock, will be very keen to knock us out.

Despite some of the (imo) slightly over-zealous ticket handling by our club, there is no hard feelings between our fans so hopefully there won't be too much trouble if any Gasheads do end up In the home ends. It is regrettable that we couldn't offer more tickets, but our ground only holds so many and we did get 2500 home fans on Saturday, so it is possible we could virtually sell out the home sections.

Looking forward to the game tomorrow, it's a massive occasion for our club whatever happens.

GTFC1979

Reaction score
Supports
grimsby town
I completely agree. I'd like to see FGR go up as their (few) fans have been throgh a lot over the years, watching them struggling down the wrong end of the table for almost a decade. Rich owners or not, I'd like to see a team like that pushing for the football league, even if the bitter Grimsby and Gas fans think differently.

That aside, Bristol Rovers were incredibly unfortunate to go down in the first place and if they don't make it through these playoffs, I reckon they'll be too much for the other teams next season and will win the league.
Where are these 'bitter' Grimsby and Gas fans that you talk about? :dk:

eightiesrobin

Reaction score
Supports
Altrincham
I

I'd like Bristol Rovers to go up. When they lost at Altrincham in August last year, they were in disarray. I read that there was a kerfuffle when a fan got on the team bus after the game. Instead of falling apart or fighting among themselves, they seemed to put their heads down and battle. Steve Mildenhall seemed a solid bloke as well, chatting to Altrincham fans during the pre-match warm-up.

GTFC1979

Reaction score
Supports
grimsby town
Looking for a lucky omen for us, the last time Grimsby and Bristol Rovers were in a the same play offs, we won them, beating a moneybags team in the Semi Final.......
History repeating itself would be very nice...... :thumbs:

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
Looking for a lucky omen for us, the last time Grimsby and Bristol Rovers were in a the same play offs, we won them, beating a moneybags team in the Semi Final.......
History repeating itself would be very nice...... :thumbs:

I actually remember that, Peschisolido got sent off for attempted murder at Blundell Park!

miagsygas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I agree it will be cagey, first legs often are and we generally set up to be hard to beat first and foremost.

Pipe has been really good in cm, a real leader, so it will be a shame if he's forced to play left back. With Kelly and Bender both likely to miss out, that could well happen. We might have further problems if Bennett, who was struggling on Saturday, doesn't recover in time, as that will mean we'll need to deploy a makeshift right back, most likely Kamdjo.

I thought that The Gas probably shaded both league games, so the results being in our favour doesn't mean too much really, except for the fact that we know we can win at the Mem.

Like Miagsygas says, some interesting battles, shame the battle of the beards wont take place but we've got a few ex-Gas in key roles who'll be desperate to do well, with the likes of Coles (who's now player-assistant manager), Pipe (captain) and Clough (who's been a rock at cb since signing in Jan) all likely to be involved. Obviously Matty Taylor will also be up against his old club, and given his feelings towards Pennock, will be very keen to knock us out.

Despite some of the (imo) slightly over-zealous ticket handling by our club, there is no hard feelings between our fans so hopefully there won't be too much trouble if any Gasheads do end up In the home ends. It is regrettable that we couldn't offer more tickets, but our ground only holds so many and we did get 2500 home fans on Saturday, so it is possible we could virtually sell out the home sections.

Looking forward to the game tomorrow, it's a massive occasion for our club whatever happens.

We may have shaded the first games and I agree they don't matter too much now but I've got to imagine your lot will be confident having been one of the few to beat us at ours. We've got a big run of unbeaten away at the minute so should be interesting to see if that gets broken tomorrow.

It's a big shame about the Sinclairs not being able to go up against eachother again. Think both games they didn't play and it would be interesting enough even if they weren't brothers as it seems their both just excellent players who work exceptionally hard.

Pipe is quite well taken here, despite the way his tenure ended he worked hard for Rovers and would have stayed if not for his legal trouble. Coles is not so well liked, it turned sour towards the end including him challenging a fan to meet him in the car park on twitter. I can honestly say I've never seen an ex-player try so hard against us and he truly loved his goal at our place, he'll get an interesting reaction. Clough didn't really break through at the time, he'll have a point to prove but won't get any stick.

I can't blame you for not giving us any more tickets, why on earth would you want such a big game to have a neutral type feel? Unfortunately Rovers fans were always going to try and get tickets regardless, it happens, hard sitation to deal with with just a few days notice and not much experience.

I

I'd like Bristol Rovers to go up. When they lost at Altrincham in August last year, they were in disarray. I read that there was a kerfuffle when a fan got on the team bus after the game. Instead of falling apart or fighting among themselves, they seemed to put their heads down and battle. Steve Mildenhall seemed a solid bloke as well, chatting to Altrincham fans during the pre-match warm-up.

Just a testiment to the team spirit that Clarke has built. For years we've had overpaid wasters on long deals not needing to work hard, this year we've got players on one year deals mainly and lesser wages who are proud to wear the shirt. Slowly the crowd were brought round and we've done far better than I thought we would, even though I've always rated Clarke. Regardless of what happens, I think we've done bloody well to be where we are, things could have been a lot, lot worse.

les.gtfc

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
I actually remember that, Peschisolido got sent off for attempted murder at Blundell Park!

Yeah, that's the one. He almost cut Peter Handyside in half. At the time all the Fulham players and Kevin Keegan were having a go at Handyside for "making a meal of it", but fair play to Keegan, as soon as he saw the replay he apologised and admitted that it was a shockingly bad challenge. We drew 1 all at Craven Cottage in the first leg and Kevin Donovan gave us a 1-0 win in the 2nd leg.

Donovan then scored the winner at Wembley as we beat Northampton 1-0.

GEORGE

Bristol Rovers
Reaction score
Supports
bristol rovers
When FGR beat us at the Mem in October it was a very different team to the Rovers one that is playing now.

miagsygas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
When FGR beat us at the Mem in October it was a very different team to the Rovers one that is playing now.

It's a bit stronger yes, but regardless, they beat us and although I thought we should have gotten a draw even with the 10 men, it was still an achievement that few got this season at our place.

FGR will argue they too have gotten stronger.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
It's a bit stronger yes, but regardless, they beat us and although I thought we should have gotten a draw even with the 10 men, it was still an achievement that few got this season at our place.

FGR will argue they too have gotten stronger.

I think we have definitely gotten stronger, our form since new years day has been good, we've picked up 41 points in 19 games and have lost just 2 of those. We're also scoring more goals, with Jon Parkin in particular really starting to fire in the second half of the season.

Our record against the top 6 is also encouraging, as we're actually top of that mini league. I'm sure both games will be pretty tight, although The Gas have got to be the favourites.

TheGas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol rovers
We sold the home end out for second leg in 3 hours today. Makes me wonder how many we could sell

miagsygas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We sold the home end out for second leg in 3 hours today. Makes me wonder how many we could sell

Thought it was likely a sell out, didn't think it would sell out this quickly! Glad I got my tickets straight away. For the pedantics, it was on general sale for 3 hours today, priority ticket purchasers were allowed to get tickets from Sunday.

TheGas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol rovers
Thought it was likely a sell out, didn't think it would sell out this quickly! Glad I got my tickets straight away. For the pedantics, it was on general sale for 3 hours today, priority ticket purchasers were allowed to get tickets from Sunday.

That's still around 8,000 sold in 3 hours

miagsygas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
That's still around 8,000 sold in 3 hours

I know, but people still take the piss out of us for over egging our support, didn't want to hand anyone extra ammo.

gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Bristol Rovers. If not us then Grimsby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanPep

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!