Play-offs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
Congratulations to the Gas for flying the flag for the West Country, and commiserations to Grimbsy, but thanks to both of you for providing a game that had this neutral glued to the box. Plenty of incident to talk about, the Puddy handball, the Taylor challenge on the Grimsby keeper, both might have had players heading for an early shower. Despite that I thought the game was all the better for keeping the sides with the same number of players. Both teams should take credit for just going for it, at times it was end to end, and it was no surprise that numerous players started to suffer from cramp. The atmosphere sounded great on the telly, sure it was even better in the stadium, look forward to more reports from those who were there. A great advert for the Conference. So, that is it, the season is now finished and I think that the right teams were promoted. Barnet were the best team we played at home, albeit before they went on a bit of a wobble, and the Gas definitely deserved to beat us in the play-offs having played by far the better football in two games. Only seven weeks to wait for the pre-season friendlies. Have a fine summer everyone, regardless of who you support, see you when hostilities resume in August.

Urban

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Went along today and sat with a Grimsby supporting mate in their end. Really good day out, even despite the result I reckon. I really wanted Grimsby to win for a number of reasons (Great fans, Rovers fans are pricks, been in the Conference for too long, want Barnet to sign Harrison) but they were unfortunately just short.

The first half was great. Pearson immense at the back, although Nsiala was a shambles. Completely his fault for the goal. Harrison was very good, while Mackreth disappointed, along with Palmer. Neither team really looked like scoring all game to be honest. Penalties are cruel but really the only way that game could've been decided. Oh, and Taylor is a bastard of highest proportions.

Feel for Grimsby fans, well outshone the impressivly-travelling but ultimately disappointing Rovers ones.

luke_imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln
As a lincoln fan who was desperate for grimsby to lose, I thought Nsiala was a class act and between him and McChrystal for my man of the match...
Credit to grimsby fans today.Shame you were absent at blundell park on 28th December.

WH_Stag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
No team with Ollie Palmer up front deserves success, he is absolutely woeful. The better team won.

pontoonlew

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Nsiala had a stroming second half I thought, shaky first but superb from then on it. He wasn't at fault for the goal, Palmer was for some diabolical attempt to clear the ball. Scott Brown, Pitman and to an extent Mackreth were absolutely diabolical today. Disley didn't turn up until late on.

We were the better side but unfortunately that doesn't cut it. To the FGR fan who said sendings off would've ruined the spectacle, bullocks to it, two poor refereeing decisions have quite possibly been the difference between winning and losing. An absolute kick in the bollocks when a full seasons progress is undone in one afternoon.

Urban

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Nsiala was completely at fault for the goal, if he hadn't had properly scuffed the easy clearance and then gone running for the corner, it wouldn't have happened. Was far, far more impressed by Pearson, who I'd like to think Barnet are looking at specutively.

Taylor is a right **** though. Nasty streak in him, as shown by that incident with McKeown.

luke_imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln
Pearson was impressive today, although Nsiala will go on to league 1 minimum, I think Pearson would struggle beyond league 2

Full of Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Twitter
@Brainer_Gas_87
Can't remember the last time I was this happy with a Rovers win, utterly delighted!

Grimsby were unlucky today & I wish them the best of luck for next season.

IMO Puddy probably should have gone, but at the other end I also think it was a penalty & McKeown should have been shown a red. McChrystal & Harrison were by far our best players, also think Lockyer had a good game at RB. Taylor was disappointing today but without his goals this season we'd have been nowhere near the play-offs.

For the most part I have enjoyed it down here, but I will certainly not miss it!

pontoonlew

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Nsiala was completely at fault for the goal, if he hadn't had properly scuffed the easy clearance and then gone running for the corner, it wouldn't have happened. Was far, far more impressed by Pearson, who I'd like to think Barnet are looking at specutively.

Taylor is a right **** though. Nasty streak in him, as shown by that incident with McKeown.

Being at fault for a corner is not being at fault for the goal. Especially when Palmer brings out some cowboy defending like that.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
Shows Football is all about opinions, I thought all our players played well today apart from our three strikers and Nsiala. Thought Nsiala was extremely nervous in the first half and messed up a few times, with one leading to the corner and goal. Palmer was poor all game, scuffed the clearance for their goal, and never had the ball up front except for one long range speculative shot. LJL apart from the goal did nothing and I don't remember him winning a header all game, the ball never stuck up front for us all game. Pittman was slightly better than the other two when he came on but made a couple of bad decisions in front of goal, though he did win a few headers.

Oh and Robertson didn't look fit and not sure why he started, can only guess Gowling wasn't fit enough for the bench and Hurst didn't trust either Parslow or Bignot over a slightly unfit Robertson.

We didn't get the ball out wide enough especially to Arnold but thought we were the slightly better side overall and Bristol didn't show up until they scored against the run of play, from then game fizzled out and both sides seemed to be playing for penalties from the start of the second half.

A Bristol fan said to me on the train on the way home that they didn't win it today, Grimsby lost it. Which is probably true on chances but it was a very even game and I don't think either side deserved to win or even lose it, unfortunately somebody had too.

As for the ref decisions, I've not seen any of them again yet but I thought Puddy should have gone for the handball, Taylor should have been booked for the play acting during his collision with Mckeown, Pearson should have been booked for his reaction and my initial reaction was a pen for Taylors dive.

BeesKnees

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet FC
Well done Bristol Rovers, I guess it seams only fair the top two go up.

I thought the ticket allocation for Bristol was dreadfull. Why didnt they fill the block behind the goal in the top tier or at least sell the lower rows first instead of putting them on the side?

Noise from the Grimsby fans in particular was excellent, they didnt stop. Still feel the Bristol keeper should've gone.

pontoonlew

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
I feel the only reason Puddy has stayed on the pitch is the occasion. If he does that on a Tuesday night in Braintree he walks.

Master D

Reaction score
Supports
The Natural Order
McKeown could well have gone too, in real time it look a stonewaller and I thought that's a disaster because of no sub keeper. There was some contact on Taylor, not enough to bring him down and he was an idiot for not just scoring the goal. Both could well have been reds, but then there's a case for neither being reds too. There was elements of doubt surrounding both so he can't give reds. Ref did well generally.

Urban

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Being at fault for a corner is not being at fault for the goal. Especially when Palmer brings out some cowboy defending like that.

Disagree - he doesn't make the shit scuffed attempt at an (easy) clearance, the ball doesn't go over the bar for a corner, Rovers don't get the chance to score. He was also involved in the defending of that goal too, not just Palmer at fault there. He just failed to impress. Pearson oozed class however.

Reaction score
Supports
Scunny United
Well done Bristol Rovers.
Grimsby will have to wait to get "out of this league" a bit longer.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Many thanks for the congratulations! Firstly, (apologies Grimsby fans) GET THE F*** IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Onto the game, I thought both teams were poor, but thats to be expected of a game of this importance. Grimsby's goal, WTF even happened? I couldn't believe I had some how seen the ball creep in. Unreal. However, after the first 20 minutes, I would have been happy to go in at only 1-0 down at half time! Then we scored an (at the time) undeserved goal. Not really sure what happened as I was behind the goal, but suddenly, Harrison pops up and WHACK! Game on. After that, I thought we were the better side in the first half, but not as dominant as Grimsby were when they were in control. I must say, I was fully expecting Puddy to be sent off. When it happened, I thought "S**t, here we go, game over". And then a beautiful blessing from the ref saved us. Having said that, it looks like McKeown should have had a red himself. Tbh, we were all celebrating when the ref blew his whistle and ran over, it seemed a certain penalty. Then the Grimsby fans started cheering, and he gave it against him. Seems a shocking decision, but I shall await the highlights for both GK decisions. I must be honest, I cannot believe how shaky we started at the back, in the end we gained control, but I was bricking myself for a very long time.

2nd half, for a neutral, must have been boring, but my god, it must have been the quickest half of my life! Not much happened, no real goal scoring chances that I can remember. Similar to extra time, no real goal scoring chances, but every time either side went on the counter, you could feel the tension and worry from the other side.

And then penalties, what a horrible/fantastic way to win it. I can't quite explain it. I thought our penalties were superb tbf, which I was worried about as only Taylor/Brown had taken them this season. But my word, when Mansell smashed that last one in, that joy; the feeling, that noise. Wow. And as I look up, Clarke is sprinting towards us behind the goal celebrating. I went down the steps to celebrate with the other fans at the bottom and on my way, I saw a man in tears, crying. He looked at me, put his arms out, and just hugged me like it meant the world. I must have hugged and shook hands with a dozen randomers. And as corny as this may sound, that is exactly what football is about, bringing people together.

Trust me, over the last few years we have been through some lows, but today was a silver lining of what has been a difficult few seasons. On the day, perhaps maybe Grimsby just shaded it, but over the season, we did. I must say, coming down to the conference has been (hopefully) a blessing in disguise. I feel as a club, we've reformed; and as fans, reunited together. I can honestly say I've enjoyed my time down in the non-league as not only has it been a wake up call, but I have realised that there are some fantastic teams and superb fans down here. I think it's fair to say I will always keep an eye on this league from now on. Saying that, fingers crossed we never come back!

Commiserations Grimsby, you must be devastated. Fantastic support today, I had always said to myself that I had hoped we won the league and you came up with us. I really hope you come up next season.

Southern Shayman

Reaction score
Supports
Halifax Town
Shows Football is all about opinions, I thought all our players played well today apart from our three strikers and Nsiala. Thought Nsiala was extremely nervous in the first half and messed up a few times, with one leading to the corner and goal. Palmer was poor all game, scuffed the clearance for their goal, and never had the ball up front except for one long range speculative shot. LJL apart from the goal did nothing and I don't remember him winning a header all game, the ball never stuck up front for us all game. Pittman was slightly better than the other two when he came on but made a couple of bad decisions in front of goal, though he did win a few headers.

Oh and Robertson didn't look fit and not sure why he started, can only guess Gowling wasn't fit enough for the bench and Hurst didn't trust either Parslow or Bignot over a slightly unfit Robertson.

We didn't get the ball out wide enough especially to Arnold but thought we were the slightly better side overall and Bristol didn't show up until they scored against the run of play, from then game fizzled out and both sides seemed to be playing for penalties from the start of the second half.

A Bristol fan said to me on the train on the way home that they didn't win it today, Grimsby lost it. Which is probably true on chances but it was a very even game and I don't think either side deserved to win or even lose it, unfortunately somebody had too.

As for the ref decisions, I've not seen any of them again yet but I thought Puddy should have gone for the handball, Taylor should have been booked for the play acting during his collision with Mckeown, Pearson should have been booked for his reaction and my initial reaction was a pen for Taylors dive.

Certainly is all about opinions.

In my mind LJL was good, Palmer was anonymous and Pittman was downright appalling - even before the icing on the cake with the penalty miss.

GodsGift

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
I've just returned home from a long couple of days working as a Lincoln-supporting journo among thousands of Grimsby fans. Talk about awkward. Apologies to any Mariners who were approached by a guy in a shirt, tie and jumper with a notepad in hand asking mind-numbingly boring questions about their "experience" and "day out". That would have been me.

As for the result, I thought it was very cruel. As a Lincoln fan I know all about play-off heartbreak but I've never had to endure losing it on pens, it must have been galling. In fact I know it was because I was sat among them. I thought the first half was fantastic, real action-packed stuff. Grimsby should have been ahead and playing against ten men. From 46 minutes onwards it became painfully obvious that penalties were on the cards. I understand the nerves involved in a play-off final and not wanting to fuck up, but the lack of ambition shown from both sides was so disappointing. Rovers' spot kicks were clinical and Pittman just didn't look like scoring as soon as he walked up, his body language was all over the place.

I'm surprised Hurst hasn't come in for more stick. First half he got it spot on and arguably the game could have been all but over at HT had decisions gone his way. But after that, resorting to hopeless long balls to a hapless John-Lewis just didn't work. I've no idea how Mackreth lasted the 120 minutes either, he looked clueless. As others have said, I was really disappointed in the atmosphere from the Rovers end although they were deafening when they eventually woke up. It has to be said the Town fans were superb throughout.

TheGas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol rovers
Feel for grimsby. Outsung us all game. We had a lot of miserable fans today! That moan soon as someone stands up and sing. Wembley is a fantastic day until you get in to the ground. Wish grimsby all the best for next season... Not surprised to see City fans on here again.. Along with their thread on their forum that has 17,000 replies...isn't winning the league and JPT not enough for you?

Aber gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol rovers
Horrible game , great result . The relief at the end was amazing . I'm a grown man and I couldn't even watch the rovers penalties, too tense . Grimsby fans were superb , never shut up ! They're a credit to themselves and their club , deserve a lot better and for what it's worth ( probably not a lot at the moment ) I hope you smash the league next season . Utg

dedwardp

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United
Gutted for Grimsby today, nothing worse than the whole season hinging on one spot kick being blazed over the bar - and it was a truly shocking penalty.

It was a great start to the game and Grimsby were well on top all the way up until the equalising goal. They could quite easily have been two or three ahead at that point, although both defences were at times producing a few heart in mouth moments. I thought that Rovers probably then edged the second half, and Grimsby were back on top again as extra time progressed - towards the end if there was any team that would nick it before the penalties it was definitely Grimsby, but the legs had gone.

Scott Brown had an absolute mare and Clay should have come on for him much earlier. Mackreth was constantly just running down blind alleys and hoping for the best and Nsiala was wobbly at the back. Robertson never seemed to fit enough to be risked either, so considering there were a few who didn't seem with it it's perhaps a bit surprising they stuck in as well as they did to be fair.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Must say I was disappointed with our own today. I was in the dedicated singing section and myself, my dad and probably about 20 others were the only ones that did. I've lost my voice from trying to get them to sing up and start/join in with songs. But they just wouldn't. I can confidentially say that this father and son stood next to me didnt sing once the entire time. Not even the celebration of winning, they didn't join in. Which made me wonder, how on earth did they get tickets for that section?

When I went to Grimsby away, I genuinely had the song "when I was young *blablablabla (not sure what they're saying)* so proud to be, GTFC ohhhhhh" stuck in my head for weeks. Quality tune, and the bouncing too. When I heard it today, I had goosebumps at times. At Rovers, we all despise drums, but for the first time ever, I thought "I wish we had one".

Clarkey_GTFC

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@daveclarkeutm
Could talk about so much but I'm just too devastated. The big question beforehand wasn't whether we'd win or lose, it was whether we'd actually turn up or not. And we did. For the first time we actually showed up, we played our hearts out and we downright refused to bottle it. It still wasn't enough. Rovers deserve to go up over the course of the season but I still think there is nothing between the sides and I can't help but think we deserve to go up as well. We both do and it's fucking shit that we both can't. It's god awful that we're the ones sat here in despair once again.

I've not looked for a single fault or excuse since the final whistle. A lot of our fans are proud but I'm not, I'm simply gutted and I can't feel much else at the minute. From the moment I woke up to the moment the winning penalty went in, I was 100% certain it was going to be our day. I've seen us lose at Wembley twice before, I've seen us lose in the playoffs multiple times and I was there when we got relegated into this league. This for me is the worst of them all. I truly thought this team would do it.

Anyway violins aside, I don't really wanna talk about the match itself but I'll try; Taylor is a complete nob and should've been booked for simulation at least 3 times. I was right in front of the Macca incident and I was 99% sure he got the ball, will have to watch that back. Puddy 100% should've gone. In normal time it was dead even between the sides, extra time was almost all us. Nsiala was diabolical first half but sensational second. Pittman's movement was good and he got himself into some game winning positions but his execution was staggeringly bad, he had the chance on numerous occasions to make himself a hero, it was very sad but fitting that he'd be the one to miss. Macca did well in the shootout considering he has a reputation for being poor at penalties, he was millimetres from winning us the game. Overall there wasn't much quality from either side at all but over 120mins I thought we edged it and deserved to win.

I think the reason this has me so depressed is that I have no idea where we go from here. We have one player in contract which is McKeown. If we could keep the entire squad and just add in a John Akinde or a 2012 Liam Hearn then the league is ours next season without a doubt but it remains to be seen who exactly is going to stay. I think Hurst did a good job in the final third of the season but still I sit here with doubts that he's the one to take us up. The game was crying out for some tactical innovation in the second half but Hurst is definitely not the man to be coming up with any of that. It's all up in the air for us from here on in.

As for the fans, I think we proved once again that we have one of the best lot in the country. I just wish it was a decent consolation but alas, it is not.

Gashead

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Hi all,

Just wanted to say, first and foremost, cheers for this season. I said in June that if we could return at the first attempt, Conference football would be a wake up call and a chance for us to turn BRFC around - I think we've done that over the season. But I've really enjoyed it too, some great characters on here and the visits to the very 'traditional' non-league grounds were a great experience, such nice, accomodating people at these clubs too - no animosity which I sort of expected given our 'big club' status at this level. I'll certainly be visiting this section next year, my interest in non-league football has increased greatly. I've already got my eyes on whether Rushden can get another promotion, how Salisbury/Hereford will get on, how the promoted clubs will do in the National and how the relegated clubs will do in the regionals (particularly DSL and Alfreton) etc. etc. so thanks for being welcoming on here. Having said that, I'm glad there's not another season at this level, the financial strain on the club would have been horrific.

Onto the game, Grimsby can feel mightily aggrieved for me - we were nowhere near our best, very mediocre especially in the first 20 minutes or so. I'll put that down to nerves but it was definitely a case of 'job done' rather than 'what a performance'. Grimsby fans were a credit to their club, stayed around at the end to clap the players too, that really impressed me. Such noise as well, I think our fans were extremely nervy, and as we saw at the last play-off final getting tens of thousands to sing anything other than 'Irene' is pretty difficult. So sorry about that, especially for the neutrals ;) The only real poor penalties in the shoot-out were Taylor's which was almost kept out and Pittman's, no way to lose a game, felt for him. Other than that, I have very little input. Didn't see the incidents clearly and I was bricking it for most of it so analysis is hard.

As for the Conference next season, after today I desperately hope Grimsby go up as champions and don't 'do a Wrexham'. So they're my adopted team for next year, and as for Wrexham I can imagine them, Tranmere, Eastleigh and Grimsby challenging. Summer recruitment will be key for Tranmere, Grimsby etc. but Eastleigh's signing of Payne is impressive, step up from last season already. I hope the other ex-FL clubs do well but I can see Macc (compared to this season) and Lincoln struggling a bit, although neither will be in real trouble in my eyes.Welling I could see struggling along with Boreham Wood and Guiseley, whilst any potential fourth relegation spot is a bit open at the moment. Will be interesting as an onlooker anyway, very competitive next season it seems.

Thanks again, best of luck to all clubs next season!

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Reading the Grimsby forum also wants me to sign up and rub it right in. Talk about bitter.

However, I shall refrain, I respect the Grimsby fans on here.

ComeOnIrene

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Back from what I can only describe as euphoric celebrations borne out of sheer relief. We put in one of our least inspiring performances of our 52 game season today (of all days!) yet still we limited Grimsby to nothing other than their scrambled goal and that is ultimately why we finished second. Even when we aren't playing well we keep ourselves in with a chance and when it really mattered we made it count. So, so thrilled we've pulled it off because Darrell, the players and Gasheads who have stuck behind the club in the darkest of times deserve it.

That isn't to say Grimsby and their superb supporters deserve to stay in the Conference, though. Vocally they were terrific today and as much as I detest any musical instrument being allowed into a football ground, it certainly helped orchestrate their fans and that was something we didn't have. It was impressive to hear random bursts of clapping and chanting to the beat of the drum.

In that respect we were poor compared to our usually high standards, although when we sung Goodnight Irene at various stages it was deafening. When neutral supporters compliment Gasheads for how loudly and passionately we sing that it makes me very proud.

It must be heartbreaking for Mariners fans right now but I would like to say thank you for the nice comments and best wishes you have passed on this evening. I am not sure I could be so magnanimous so soon after what must be the cruellest way to lose a football game of such importance. You are a credit to your club - good luck next year, genuinely.

To all you weird and wonderful Conference posters down here - it's been a blast. Last summer I was dreading having to watch my beloved club compete in this division but... I've loved every minute of it. Winning helps, obviously, but the sincerity and honesty of the grounds and fans we have met on our journey has been a real highlight and I have a newfound respect for everybody involved at this level. It's real supporters and, on the whole, proper clubs playing competitive, hard fought football. Thanks for welcoming Gasheads down here and for being so complimentary about us during the season, I've thoroughly enjoyed contributing to the forum. I wish you all well for next season.

As much as I've enjoyed it, though, I am delighted to be returning to the Football League and can't wait to see what we can do back in League Two. The difference in quality between the vast majority of L2 clubs and the better Conference clubs is minimal at best, so it will be interesting to see how we fare.

Goodnight Irene!

Glasshalffullpools

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
I think Grimsby were let down by the referee , had the keeper been sent off then the referee may not have had to make a mess of the Rovers non penalty later, I know this is a Vanarama competing, but surely the highest standard of refereeing ought to be made available.......I was genuinely on the fence for this so I hope I don't upset anyone by saying over 120 mins Rovers shaved it, but we would have seen an entirely different game had the first keeper gone off.... as for Grimsby, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, progression from last year, one more push and you're there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanPep
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!