Potential Team - First Game of Season

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Less than 3 weeks until the start of the season now, so most teams by now should have a good idea who will be in their first teams.

For us, we're set to sign just one more player, possibly a winger (Jake Gray on loan has been mentioned), but this could be our starting line up to play Plymouth: (5-3-2 system)

GK Christian Walton
RW Stephen O'Donnell
LW Dan Potts
RCB Scott Cuthbert
LCB Alan Sheehan
CB Johnny Mullins
RCM Pelly Ruddock-Mpanzu
LCM Cameron McGeehan
CM Jonathan Smith
ST Jack Marriott
ST Danny Hylton

Subs: Liam Gooch, Frankie Musonda, Josh McQuoid, Glen Rea, Zane Banton, Jordan Cook, AN Other Winger

Last edited:
Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
As it stands:

GK: Alex Cisak

RB: Nicky Hunt
CB: Yvan Erichot
CB: Tom Parkes
LB: Callum Kennedy

RM: Gavin Massey
CM: Robbie Weir
CM: Liam Kelly
LM: Dean Cox

ST: Jay Simpson
ST: Paul McCallum

Subs: Sam Sargeant, Sean Clohessy, New CB, Sammy Moore, Sandro Semedo, Ollie Palmer, Armond Gnanduillet

Crewelad87

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
GK. Garrett

LB. Bakayogo
CB. Gutgrie
CB. Davis
RB. Turton

LM. Ainley
CM. Jones
CM. Bingham
RM. Cooper

ST. Dagnall
ST. Lowe

Subs: Richards, Nugent, Ray, Smith, Kirk, Saunders, Udoh.

Keeper is brilliant defence are a circus act, midfield is powderpuff, forwards old but goal scorers.

We're likely to bring in a winger on loan any day soon. Unfortunately we need to find a mug to buy one of our defenders so we can bring in fresh blood at the back.

StagsForLife

In Matt Green we trust.
Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Twitter
@CWJG_Gregory
GK Scott Shearer
RB Rhys Bennett
CB Krystian Pearce
CB George Taft
LB Mal Benning
CDM Lee Collins
RCM/RM Ashley Hemmings
LCM/LM Kevan Hurst
CAM Chris Clements
ST Danny Rose
ST Matt Green

I assume it will very similar being a diamond/diamond wide formation. Not a bad team imo.

daviejones

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
I'd go for a solid 4-4-1-1 considering the circumstances of our opening match. Team as follows:

GK: Gillespie

RB: Miller
CB: Atkinson
CB: Brisley
LB: Grainger

RM: Lambe
CM: Penn
CM: Jones
LM: Adams

CAM: Devitt
ST: Jabo/Miller

Potentially 7 new signings starting if KC were for some reason to copy my first XI, shows just how much we've strengthened this summer. I can really see KC building the team around Devitt, he's already been in the papers saying he's making sure everyone knows how he likes to play. Cheers for that one Morecambe.

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Less than 3 weeks until the start of the season now, so most teams by now should have a good idea who will be in their first teams.

For us, we're set to sign just one more player, possibly a winger (Jake Gray on loan has been mentioned), but this could be our starting line up to play Plymouth: (5-3-2 system)

GK Christian Walton
RW Stephen O'Donnell
LW Dan Potts
RCB Scott Cuthbert
LCB Alan Sheehan
CB Johnny Mullins
RCM Pelly Ruddock-Mpanzu
LCM Cameron McGeehan
CM Jonathan Smith
ST Jack Marriott
ST Danny Hylton

Subs: Liam Gooch, Dan Potts, Josh McQuoid, Glen Rea, Zane Banton, Jordan Cook, AN Other Winger

Id have thought Rea gets the nod over Smith in midfield to be honest, considering we have spent money to bring him here, Jones clearly rates him, Smith is basically a fish out of water trying to play how Jones wants us too and Rea can do the defensive stuff that Smith does. Probably just me and not suggesting this is what Jones will do but id rather see Bakinson play over Smith this season.

I do quite like the look of this formation on paper and think it could work but, and I could be wrong, i am not sure we have ever played it under Jones. If I were to predict what Jones will do i'd probably say a 442 diamond with Lee, Ruddock, McGeehan and Rea with Cuthbert dropping to the bench.

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Id have thought Rea gets the nod over Smith in midfield to be honest, considering we have spent money to bring him here, Jones clearly rates him, Smith is basically a fish out of water trying to play how Jones wants us too and Rea can do the defensive stuff that Smith does. Probably just me and not suggesting this is what Jones will do but id rather see Bakinson play over Smith this season.

I do quite like the look of this formation on paper and think it could work but, and I could be wrong, i am not sure we have ever played it under Jones. If I were to predict what Jones will do i'd probably say a 442 diamond with Lee, Ruddock, McGeehan and Rea with Cuthbert dropping to the bench.
I agree with most of this - but I can't seen one of Mullins, Cuthbert and Sheehan on the bench, unless the latter plays left back instead of Potts.

Moomin

Reaction score
Supports
ECFC
Tisdale has said he's sure on 8 or 9 of his lineup so expect it to be something like this:

GK Bobby Olejnik

RB Pierce Sweeney (assuming he signs following his trial)
CB Troy Brown
CB Troy Archibald-Henville
LB Jordan Moore-Taylor

RM Jake Taylor
CM Lloyd James
CM Ryan Harley
LM Lee Holmes

CF Ollie Watkins
CF Robbie Simpson

Quite happy with that starting lineup. Wheeler, if fully on form, should push Taylor for the wide right position. Expect that Joel Grant and Liam McAlinden will be used off the bench. Pierce Sweeney has done well on trial so expecting he will sign soon. If not we will go with the inexperienced Tom McCready at RB which is a bit of an unknown quantity. As we move further into the season we will definitely need more central midfield backup as James and Harley will undoubtedly miss some games. Holmes is quality on the left and up top we look good with Watkins and Simpson.

huddsmoose

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
For Cambridge, our first choice team probably looks something like this. Corr is still not match fit but will probably be first choice if/when he is.

Probably one or two more to come in.

Will Norris
Greg Taylor / Josh Coulson / Leon Legge / Blair Adams
James Dunne / Max Clark
Piero Mingoia / Luke Berry / Harrison Dunk
Ben Williamson

Reserve fwds: Barry Corr, Joe Pigott
Midfielders: Medy Elito, Keith Keane, Conor Newton, George Maris
Defenders: Mark Roberts, Elliot Omozusi, Tom Dallison

Judge Dredd

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
95% sure we'll be playing a 4-4-2 diamond, Jones hasn't shown any indication that he wants to play with three centre-backs since he has been here so not sure why you think we'll go that way Kenneth! We lined up with the diamond in the last game of the season and we've played it for every minute of pre-season so far.

I think we'll go with something like:

1473475_Luton_Town.jpg

Although as it's a tough away game I could see us sacrificing Cook for Lee with McGeehan playing as the #10 (he's at his best there, but he played as one of the middle two against Bedford which I thought was interesting).

I suspect the last signing will be an attacking midfielder (if the Jake Gray rumour is true, he's primarily a central player who can play wide rather than a winger by trade) so that could mean Pelly has a battle on his hands for his place.

Personally I'd be pretty happy with that team. I'm slightly concerned about the central midfield but we seem to be addressing that and Bakinson may be ready to step up sooner rather than later. The full backs look to be the weakest area to me, O'Donnell is decent enough going forward but often a liability defensively. Whilst Potts is reasonably solid defensively but offers very little going forward - not great given that we'll be reliant on him for width in this kind of system (although Pelly and Marriott both tend to drift wide I suppose).

Judge Dredd

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
I agree with most of this - but I can't seen one of Mullins, Cuthbert and Sheehan on the bench, unless the latter plays left back instead of Potts.

What makes you so sure that Cuthbert is nailed on first choice? He played very little part under Jones (due to injury, sure, but there's still no reason to think Jones is overly enamoured with him based on last year). Jones was reluctant to commit to him staying as captain, his first order of business this summer was to sign a new right-footed centre-back...

PaulHaddock

people person
Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Several positions require choosing one player over the other. If my guesses are right:

GK: James Mckeown
RB: Ben Davies
CB: Josh Gowling
CB: Andrew Boyce/Shaun Pearson
LB: Danny Andrew
CDM: Sean McAllister
CM: James Berrett
CM: Craig Disley/ Luke Summerfield
RW: Ashley Chambers/ Tom Bolarinwa
LW: Dom Vose
CF: Omar Bogle

Subs: Dan Jones, Zak Mills, Disley/ Summerfield, Chambers/ Bolarinwa, Rhys Browne, Pearson/Boyce, ST

TommoCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
GK Will Norris

RB Greg Taylor
CB Tom Dallison
CB Leon Legge
LB Blair Adams

CM Max Clark
CM James Dunne

RM Piero Mingoia
AM Luke Berry
LM Harrison Dunk

ST Ben Williamson

Not a bad team. Probably could push for playoffs, but not overly expectant

BeesKnees

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet FC
My guess
GK Stack
RB Pearson
CB Dembele
CB Nelson
LB Johnson
RM Nicholls
CM Watson
CM Togwell
LM Gambin
CF Akpa Akpro
CF Akinde

Subs is much harder, expect to see Weston, N'Gala, Sesay, Taylor and Shomotun with McKenzie-Lyle reserve keeper.

TommoCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
My guess
GK Stack
RB Pearson
CB Dembele
CB Nelson
LB Johnson
RM Nicholls
CM Watson
CM Togwell
LM Gambin
CF Akpa Akpro
CF Akinde

Subs is much harder, expect to see Weston, N'Gala, Sesay, Taylor and Shomotun with McKenzie-Lyle reserve keeper.
Surprised that Nelson would play over N'Gala. From what I saw of Barnet last season, N'Gala-Dembele was one of the toughest pairings we came up against. Nelson was also terrible with us

BeesKnees

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet FC
Surprised that Nelson would play over N'Gala. From what I saw of Barnet last season, N'Gala-Dembele was one of the toughest pairings we came up against. Nelson was also terrible with us
N'gala is strong and good in a tackle but is often caught out and prone to the odd mistake.
Nelson has been excellent for us, stays calm and helps us retain the ball but he needs someone like Dembele next to him to compensate for his lack of pace.

Casey

Reaction score
Supports
Creepy
I think we look ok up front but a bit susceptible to a ball over the top at the back (classic league two fare). Line up could be...

GK: Mitch Beeney
LB: Chris Arthurs
CB: Mark Connolly
CB: Joe McNerney/Josh Yerworth
RB: Alper Tursun
DM: Jimmy Smith (C)
CM: Josh Payne
CM: Jason Banton
RM: Enzio Boldewijn
LM: Jordon Roberts
CF: James Collins/Matt Harrold

Subs: Mersin (GK), Young, Bawling, Garnett, the CB and CF who doesn't play and one from our many trialists who may/have signed.

Probably 4-3-3 at home and 4-5-1 away as that's what Drummy says he likes but he did play 4-2--3-1 on Saturday.

Casey

CtfcLad

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Our team presuming the expected loans come back would probably be:
(3-5-2)

Gk: Dillon Phillips

RWB: Jack Barthram
RCB: Rob Dickie
CB: Daniel Parslow
LCB: Daniel O'Shaughnessy
LWB: James Jennings

RCM: Harry Pell
CM: James Dayton
LCM: Jack Munns

ST: Dan Holman
ST: Danny Wright

Last edited:

cufc17

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle
I'd go for a solid 4-4-1-1 considering the circumstances of our opening match. Team as follows:

GK: Gillespie

RB: Miller
CB: Atkinson
CB: Brisley
LB: Grainger

RM: Lambe
CM: Penn
CM: Jones
LM: Adams

CAM: Devitt
ST: Jabo/Miller

Potentially 7 new signings starting if KC were for some reason to copy my first XI, shows just how much we've strengthened this summer. I can really see KC building the team around Devitt, he's already been in the papers saying he's making sure everyone knows how he likes to play. Cheers for that one Morecambe.
I'd go:

Mark Gillespie

Tom Miller
Mark Ellis
Shaun Brisley
Danny Grainger

Mike Jones
Russell Penn

Reggie Lambe
Jamie Devitt
Nicky Adams

Charlie Wyke

I've not seen us play yet, so I'm not sure what formation Curle will be using, I'm guessing 4-2-3-1, or which players have looked sharp.

I'd say 3 of the defenders are almost certain to start against Portsmouth - Miller, Brisley and Grainger - with Atkinson and Ellis battling out for the other position, I'd edge towards Ellis.

There's various different combinations for midfield, with Jones, Penn, Kennedy and Joyce filling the two holding positions. Devitt and Adams are surely going to feature for the majority of the season, the latter in particular I'm looking forward to watching. It sounds like Lambe has looked decent in pre-season also.

If we're going to go with one forward, it's quite likely that Miller will start, but I'd prefer Wyke. Jabo is another good option, and they've all got goals in them.

Either way, I think we've got good options across the pitch (except a back-up keeper and right back) and Curle has built a solid team.

daviejones

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
I'd go:

Mark Gillespie

Tom Miller
Mark Ellis
Shaun Brisley
Danny Grainger

Mike Jones
Russell Penn

Reggie Lambe
Jamie Devitt
Nicky Adams

Charlie Wyke

I've not seen us play yet, so I'm not sure what formation Curle will be using, I'm guessing 4-2-3-1, or which players have looked sharp.

I'd say 3 of the defenders are almost certain to start against Portsmouth - Miller, Brisley and Grainger - with Atkinson and Ellis battling out for the other position, I'd edge towards Ellis.

There's various different combinations for midfield, with Jones, Penn, Kennedy and Joyce filling the two holding positions. Devitt and Adams are surely going to feature for the majority of the season, the latter in particular I'm looking forward to watching. It sounds like Lambe has looked decent in pre-season also.

If we're going to go with one forward, it's quite likely that Miller will start, but I'd prefer Wyke. Jabo is another good option, and they've all got goals in them.

Either way, I think we've got good options across the pitch (except a back-up keeper and right back) and Curle has built a solid team.
I've only seen the Warrington game which was hardly any use to go by seeing as the opposition was horrendous, as was the pitch. We played 4-2-3-1 in the first half and Adams and Lambe were tearing them apart, Adams got the ball and ran down the wing to cross every time whilst Lambe was more varied by cutting inside or picking the ball up centrally as he did for his goal.

I'm edging towards saying we should start Miller over Jabo and Wyke.. Big pitch, big crowd and we don't want to be resorting to hoofball at all which playing Wyke or Jabo in a lone striker system - which I expect Curle to opt for - may encourage. Plus, if we play Miller we'll have even more reason to play everything through Devitt, and he'll surely be our key to victory on the opening day.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Starting Jabo or Wyke up front on their own does not mean we'll play hoof ball.

We've had Ibehre for a year now. its crystal clear that he's way more effective with the ball to feet with his back to goal or running in behind rather than hoofing it to his head.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
I reckon we'll start...

Gillespie
Miller Ellis Brisley Grainger
Kennedy Jones
Lambe Devitt Adams
Wyke​

I'd swap Ellis for Atkinson, Kennedy for Joyce and Wyke for Ibehre.

I also think this system will be used in games like Portsmouth away, but in home games or certain away games we may go with something different like a 3-4-1-2. I don't think we've brought in Shaun Miller to sit on the bench all season that's for sure.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
GK Scott Shearer
RB Rhys Bennett
CB Krystian Pearce
CB George Taft
LB Mal Benning
CDM Lee Collins
RCM/RM Ashley Hemmings
LCM/LM Kevan Hurst
CAM Chris Clements
ST Danny Rose
ST Pat Hoban

I assume it will very similar being a diamond/diamond wide formation. Not a bad team imo.

Yeah looks pretty decent ;)

daviejones

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
I reckon we'll start...

Gillespie
Miller Ellis Brisley Grainger
Kennedy Jones
Lambe Devitt Adams
Wyke​

I'd swap Ellis for Atkinson, Kennedy for Joyce and Wyke for Ibehre.

I also think this system will be used in games like Portsmouth away, but in home games or certain away games we may go with something different like a 3-4-1-2. I don't think we've brought in Shaun Miller to sit on the bench all season that's for sure.
I think we're much better set to match up to teams like Portsmouth this season instead of relying on a good backs-to-the-wall performance where we get a lucky result. First game of the season as well, Curle will surely be looking to set out our stall for the season as being a passing side instead of starting off with a defensive lineup.

Also, I'm not at all expecting Atkinson to start, especially now he may be slightly behind physically and mentally due to dealing with new parenthood. He still hasn't been given a proper run of games yet, hopefully he'll get one relatively early in the season so we can see how good he is; but I'd expect Ellis to start in his place vs Portsmouth.

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
As it stands:

GK: Alex Cisak

RB: Nicky Hunt
CB: Yvan Erichot
CB: Tom Parkes
LB: Callum Kennedy

RM: Gavin Massey
CM: Robbie Weir
CM: Liam Kelly
LM: Dean Cox

ST: Jay Simpson
ST: Paul McCallum

Subs: Sam Sargeant, Sean Clohessy, New CB, Sammy Moore, Sandro Semedo, Ollie Palmer, Armond Gnanduillet

No Jordan Bowery? Controversial.

Looks like we're going to be utter pish at the back again, unless Erichot is the Gallic second coming of Mkandawire.

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
No Jordan Bowery? Controversial.

Looks like we're going to be utter pish at the back again, unless Erichot is the Gallic second coming of Mkandawire.

I could argue because of his knock he's unlikely to be fit for the start of the season and that's why I omitted him.

I actually forgot he existed.

George Reilly's Hairpiece

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
GK: Stack
RB: Pearson
CB: Dembele
CB: Nelson
LB: Johnson
RM: Nicholls
CM: Weston
CM: Togwell
LM: Gambin
CF: Gash
CF: Akinde

Subs : Mackenzie-Lyle, N'Gala, Sesay, Watson, Akpa Akpro, Taylor, Muggleton.

Not necessarily what I would go with, but what I can see Allen going with.

Jamie Stephens is a big miss in goal and I'm not even sure that Stack has signed a new contract with us, unless I missed it, although he has been playing in pre-season.

Ryan Watson has hit the ground running since signing, but Weston is a favourite of the manager. For similar reasons I can see Gash getting the nod up front over Akpa Akpro to begin with.

I'm still hopeful that we've got another couple of signings lined up. Another wide midfielder which would allow Nicholls to be a back-up striker if needed and another centre mid. That probably depends on us moving on the four listed players that we have in Champion, Vilhete, Tomlinson and Batt.

Edit* I forgot Muggleton. I know Allen won't.

Last edited:

ProfessorGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle
I would like ours to be:

1473673_Plymouth_Argyle.jpg
1473673_Plymouth_Argyle.jpg

Possibly with a new signing replacing the unproven Ijaha in centre mid and not sure about Sawyer as a wing back opposed to full back. Perhaps he can move to centre back instead of Bradley and play Purrington as LWB.

Unfortunately though I think Adams will start Jervis, though I'm not sure where he fits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hudders
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!