Star Wars (Includes Spoilers!!!)

allouso

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool FC
Twitter
@estouma
Chris, regarding Ren, he wouldn't have known surely!

JJ1532

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
Good post. I do sympathise with Abrams to an extent, but I'm not going to be more accepting because there was corporate influence. If anything that's an reason to dislike it more. You could see that's why there was an overabundance of comedy in it.

I don't need everything explained but the call to adventure was lame. It felt like most other modern action films: rushed plot, loads of action and little detail. That's why it didn't feel anything special to me.

I didn't see him as conflicted, I thought he was determined to live up to Vader and was fearful of failure to do so. I think that's his motive and why he thought killing his father would help him. I think he is totally consumed. The big problem is it's just the same old shit. Also, he idolises Vader even though he betrayed the Empire. That's illogical.

I shouldn't have to look passed flaws to enjoy a movie, flaws and unoriginal content can't be compromised to enjoy something in my view.
Fair enough bud. This is hollywood unfortunately, got far too much money invested in these major franchises now to let directors do totally what they want with a film. Does annoy me how much influence they have over directors.

Like I said, there was no way Abrams could please everyone. Seems plenty like it and I bet more will want to see it again than not. Sure, some like yourself will not enjoy it, but that can't be helped. It'll break every box office record going and I think they are now very well set up to build on this in Rogue One and Episode VIII. Hopefully in VIII, with a new director, we'll see a new and original story line that deviates away from anything we've seen before. Remember that Episode V was a clear improvement on Episode IV. Hopefully this series does the same.

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
Mino Raiola & Jorge Mendes
Chris, regarding Ren, he wouldn't have known surely!

That's not a bad point. Perhaps Vader is being used as propoganda to indoctrinate Ren. But surely this should be common knowledge as the story is legend across the galaxy? Also, he's part of the fricking family where he'll have most definitely heard the truth. Hard one to accept as a viewer.

allouso

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool FC
Twitter
@estouma
That's not a bad point. Perhaps Vader is being used as propoganda to indoctrinate Ren. But surely this should be common knowledge as the story is legend across the galaxy? Also, he's part of the fricking family where he'll have most definitely heard the truth. Hard one to accept as a viewer.
Yeah that second one makes more sense. It's hard to imagine people knowing that Vader turned at the last second, there was no one there to see him but Luke.

Ren would have heard about it in the family, or when Luke trained him. Or maybe Luke always kept it to himself, difficult to say and I hope this will be explored down the line.

Anyway I gave it a second watch (don't judge me I've had the Imax ticket for 2 months now), and it actually felt much better when you don't expect Luke to pop out every two seconds. I suggest you give it a shot!

The Southbank

Reaction score
Supports
Reading
Not really sure what to make of it - I enjoyed it, but came out scratching my head a little at missed opportunities and difficult to gage plot lines.

I'm not sure what to make of Kylo Ren. Adam Driver played the role fantastically, no doubt, but I don't feel as if his story was really developed enough. How did he turn to the dark side? How long has he been around for? We're sort of thrust into his position as the main villain - before we are introduced to Snoke - but we don't know what really preceded it. The whole desire of Leia and Hans trying to turn their villainous son back to the light with love was a little bit lost on me. It would have been better if he was portrayed as a fucking maniac without all that guff, and his moments of petulance came across as too comedic for my liking.

I feel they should have done more with the flashbacks - that scene at the Jedi Academy could have been developed further. Sometimes I felt the plot was a little too simplistic.

How many times did we have to be told that Han Solo was Kylo's father? It should have been saved for a more dramatic moment, rather than Snoke telling us in the most simplistic terms possible as if the audience is completely incapable of appreciating it.

Captian Phasma was totally underplayed - what was the point of her character if she came across as so weak and timid?

Luke should have had at least 1 line. One line to sign off the movie. We've been waiting for this for 3 years and he says nothing, the ending was a bit shite if we're being honest. I know it sets the scene for the next one, but jheeze.

JJ1532

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
Not really sure what to make of it - I enjoyed it, but came out scratching my head a little at missed opportunities and difficult to gage plot lines.

I'm not sure what to make of Kylo Ren. Adam Driver played the role fantastically, no doubt, but I don't feel as if his story was really developed enough. How did he turn to the dark side? How long has he been around for? We're sort of thrust into his position as the main villain - before we are introduced to Snoke - but we don't know what really preceded it. The whole desire of Leia and Hans trying to turn their villainous son back to the light with love was a little bit lost on me. It would have been better if he was portrayed as a fucking maniac without all that guff, and his moments of petulance came across as too comedic for my liking.

I feel they should have done more with the flashbacks - that scene at the Jedi Academy could have been developed further. Sometimes I felt the plot was a little too simplistic.

How many times did we have to be told that Han Solo was Kylo's father? It should have been saved for a more dramatic moment, rather than Snoke telling us in the most simplistic terms possible as if the audience is completely incapable of appreciating it.

Captian Phasma was totally underplayed - what was the point of her character if she came across as so weak and timid?

Luke should have had at least 1 line. One line to sign off the movie. We've been waiting for this for 3 years and he says nothing, the ending was a bit shite if we're being honest. I know it sets the scene for the next one, but jheeze.
Remember back to Episode IV, Darth Vader was introduced without any backstory. Fans didn't get the true explanation of his backstory for over 20 years. We'll likely get the explanation in 2-3 years and it'll be a darn sight better than Vader's backstory. Be grateful for that.

Flashbacks? Is that really in keeping with Star Wars? And if Abrams had done that, fans would have criticised him for going all 'Lost' on the film. I agree about the Kylo Ren reveal. Felt like we were being slapped around the head with it. Although I think Abrams was worrying about having the reveal be too much like Darth Vader and Luke in Episode V. I preferred it to come out early, so we had time to appreciate it and let it sink in. Although how it came out was not well done.

I will say though, on reflection, the Ren killing Han scene would have worked much better with either Leia or Luke there to witness it. Only Chewie really felt the massive loss that Han dying had and he couldn't express the grief and anger in that moment. I didn't feel the 2 younger characters really showed what it meant to see such a legendary character of not just Star Wars, but cinema history, go like that. Although maybe he didn't overplay it because Han comes back in the next episode, how that would work I'm not sure though.

I agree on the last point, even him going "Hello Rey" would have been perfect. Would set up all this mystery about how he knows her and what she is to him. Mark Hamill has to be laughing though, he will likely have earned a shit ton of money for being in this film even though his role was a 2 minute cameo at the end.

Destruction

Reaction score
Supports
Not Voting
Twitter
@Cruyff_des
I thought it was average and I consider myself a lukewarm Star Wars fan.

If someone asked me what happened in the film I don't think I could tell them, the entire plot seemed like a filler for the next episode.

That's £9.95 I'll never see again.

MSB92

Reaction score
Supports
Alhilal
I loved the movie! The new cast were excellent, especially Rey. I'll give an 8 or an 8.5 out of 10.

allouso

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool FC
Twitter
@estouma
Remember back to Episode IV, Darth Vader was introduced without any backstory. Fans didn't get the true explanation of his backstory for over 20 years. We'll likely get the explanation in 2-3 years and it'll be a darn sight better than Vader's backstory. Be grateful for that.

Flashbacks? Is that really in keeping with Star Wars? And if Abrams had done that, fans would have criticised him for going all 'Lost' on the film. I agree about the Kylo Ren reveal. Felt like we were being slapped around the head with it. Although I think Abrams was worrying about having the reveal be too much like Darth Vader and Luke in Episode V. I preferred it to come out early, so we had time to appreciate it and let it sink in. Although how it came out was not well done.

I will say though, on reflection, the Ren killing Han scene would have worked much better with either Leia or Luke there to witness it. Only Chewie really felt the massive loss that Han dying had and he couldn't express the grief and anger in that moment. I didn't feel the 2 younger characters really showed what it meant to see such a legendary character of not just Star Wars, but cinema history, go like that. Although maybe he didn't overplay it because Han comes back in the next episode, how that would work I'm not sure though.

I agree on the last point, even him going "Hello Rey" would have been perfect. Would set up all this mystery about how he knows her and what she is to him. Mark Hamill has to be laughing though, he will likely have earned a shit ton of money for being in this film even though his role was a 2 minute cameo at the end.
Rey has to be Luke's daughter, there's no other way around it. Became way too obvious when Maz, talking about the lightsaber told her "This lightsaber belonged to Luke, and his fathers before him. Now it's calling to you."

Also not bothered at all about us not knowing much about Ren's past, i'm sure it will be developed in the upcoming movies. It's nice that they kept an air of mystery about this. Luke's academy and how it all went tits up.

allouso

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool FC
Twitter
@estouma

The last part was the most disappointing for me. I actually loved the ending but it's extremely frustrating that we've been waiting so long to get to see Luke again and he just like, you know, stares. He will obviously have a much bigger role in the next installment but at least give him a proper line.

The reason I enjoyed much more the second time around is that I wasn't expecting Luke or any of the old guard to pop up every 2 seconds. Made it far more fun to watch.

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
Absolutely Loved it!! Solid 9/10 from me! Daisy Ridley as Rey was superb. Quite the performance. She looks a very talented actress. Not going into details for the simple reason I have no idea how to post behind a spoiler button!! :ffs:

allouso

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool FC
Twitter
@estouma
Absolutely Loved it!! Solid 9/10 from me! Daisy Ridley as Rey was superb. Quite the performance. She looks a very talented actress. Not going into details for the simple reason I have no idea how to post behind a spoiler button!! :ffs:
Haha just open up a spoiler tag {spoiler} and close it {/spoiler} using regular brackets of course.

Destruction

Reaction score
Supports
Not Voting
Twitter
@Cruyff_des
Can someone explain the bullshit ending to me? I mean I know Star Wars is for children but are we really supposed to believe that Luke has been missing for years and his choice of location was to stand on top of a hill of windy steps for months on end, just waiting for that moment that someone actually came to find him. What has he been eating? Does he not have a shelter or do Jedi's sleep standing up like cows?

And what about fucking R2D2 who had 95% of the entire map THE WHOLE TIME with Luke's whereabouts on it, just sat switched off in the resistance's base? Come on seriously? Star Wars is supposed to be THE film of our time. It was so predictable and thin in places it was ridiculous.

RANT OVER.

allouso

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool FC
Twitter
@estouma
Can someone explain the bullshit ending to me? I mean I know Star Wars is for children but are we really supposed to believe that Luke has been missing for years and his choice of location was to stand on top of a hill of windy steps for months on end, just waiting for that moment that someone actually came to find him. What has he been eating? Does he not have a shelter or do Jedi's sleep standing up like cows?

And what about fucking R2D2 who had 95% of the entire map THE WHOLE TIME with Luke's whereabouts on it, just sat switched off in the resistance's base? Come on seriously? Star Wars is supposed to be THE film of our time. It was so predictable and thin in places it was ridiculous.

RANT OVER.
Haha maybe he was just meditating or something! Surely what you're asking about will be revealed next time around? I'm sure we'll learn why he left in the first place.

Destruction

Reaction score
Supports
Not Voting
Twitter
@Cruyff_des
Haha maybe he was just meditating or something! Surely what you're asking about will be revealed next time around? I'm sure we'll learn why he left in the first place.
Pretty basic though isn't it, classic walk up long flight of steps and there he is with his back to the camera. No doubt he "saw" her coming via the force. :animatedf: And the R2D2 thing pissed me off.

And while we're at it, isn't becoming a jedi supposed to be hard work? How come the main baddie got mind fucked off Rey who has had zero training? Or out hand zoomed for the light sabre? Or the fact Fin was able to put up a decent fight against him when he was only a storm trooper? Or that Rey could beat him in her first ever fight? :doh:

Maybe I'm nit picking but I just expected more from such a film. George Lucas must be rolling in his grave.

TheMinsterman

Reaction score
Supports
York City & Italy
I think George Lucas is actually rolling in his increasingly large piles of money.

Dave-Vale

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Less than 6 hours til I get to see it. Cannot wait! I don't think I've ever been this excited to go see a film before.

My son doesn't know we are going yet. Surprising him when he gets home from school. Just been out and bought him Kylo Ren dress up and the lightsaber to match. Yes!

TheMinsterman

Reaction score
Supports
York City & Italy
Less than 6 hours til I get to see it. Cannot wait! I don't think I've ever been this excited to go see a film before.

My son doesn't know we are going yet. Surprising him when he gets home from school. Just been out and bought him Kylo Ren dress up and the lightsaber to match. Yes!

Yes.... for "your son" ;)

MSB92

Reaction score
Supports
Alhilal
I think it's a good thing that they left a lot of questions unanswered. Episode 8 is only a year and a half away, they'll answer a lot of the questions by then I think.

Dave-Vale

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
47 minutes!

Eating at Chiquito with my son dressed as Kylo. Honestly, I'm not dressed up.

allouso

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool FC
Twitter
@estouma
Pretty basic though isn't it, classic walk up long flight of steps and there he is with his back to the camera. No doubt he "saw" her coming via the force. :animatedf: And the R2D2 thing pissed me off.

And while we're at it, isn't becoming a jedi supposed to be hard work? How come the main baddie got mind fucked off Rey who has had zero training? Or out hand zoomed for the light sabre? Or the fact Fin was able to put up a decent fight against him when he was only a storm trooper? Or that Rey could beat him in her first ever fight? :doh:

Maybe I'm nit picking but I just expected more from such a film. George Lucas must be rolling in his grave.
Yeah. The lightsaber battle pissed me off as well. Although it was a really good scene imo it just seriously devalues the force and all that training Kylo had. The only explanation behind it is that Kylo was injured and was seriously weakened, but you'd still expect him to hold his ground.

I think stormtroopers have "saber" training as was evident in the scene when Finn battled one, and Rey already has experience with that huge stick of hers. That + Ren's injury contributed to them standing up to him properly; however, it should have been highlighted better in the movie, as it just looked a bit silly imo.

M

Martino Knockavelli

34snqdu.png

The Banality of Evil.

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
Mino Raiola & Jorge Mendes
Yeah that second one makes more sense. It's hard to imagine people knowing that Vader turned at the last second, there was no one there to see him but Luke.

Ren would have heard about it in the family, or when Luke trained him. Or maybe Luke always kept it to himself, difficult to say and I hope this will be explored down the line.

Anyway I gave it a second watch (don't judge me I've had the Imax ticket for 2 months now), and it actually felt much better when you don't expect Luke to pop out every two seconds. I suggest you give it a shot!

If it's revealed Luke kept it to himself, even away from his sister, then he's a bit of a twat. Imagine your dad has his moment of redemption and saves the day, and then you keep it a secret and let everyone think he was evil till the end.So either way it doesn't make much sense.

I'll give it another bash when it's available to pirate. I can't dislike a film and pay for it again to confirm that feeling.

TheMinsterman

Reaction score
Supports
York City & Italy
Yeah. The lightsaber battle pissed me off as well. Although it was a really good scene imo it just seriously devalues the force and all that training Kylo had. The only explanation behind it is that Kylo was injured and was seriously weakened, but you'd still expect him to hold his ground.

I think stormtroopers have "saber" training as was evident in the scene when Finn battled one, and Rey already has experience with that huge stick of hers. That + Ren's injury contributed to them standing up to him properly; however, it should have been highlighted better in the movie, as it just looked a bit silly imo.

To be fair, Kylo is still in training, the most obvious explanation would be that he was simply over confident and acting rashly after she got the better of him in the "battle of the minds", now he has a scar to "remind him never to be too complacent again".

JJ1532

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
Type [ then spoiler, no spaces. finish off with a ]

Write what you want to write. Then finish off with [/ then spoiler again. Then finish off with a ]

allouso

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool FC
Twitter
@estouma
The 'theory' about Rey is that she was in Luke's Jedi academy as a kid, being his daughter and all. After Kylo and the Knights of Ren went all out and killed everyone Luke dumped her on Jakku for Max Von Sydow to keep an eye on from distance. The latter must have been with Luke in the Jedi academy, which explains why he and Kylo know eachother. That also explains why he has the map to Luke; maybe he gave it to him if his daughter ever wanted to come looking for him?

So Rey is force sensitive, she has some prior Jedi training which was suppressed in her and was awoken when she got in touch with Luke's lightsaber; she saw her past, her family leaving her and the Knights of Ren destroying the academy (so she was there since she saw it) as well as her future encounter with Kylo. That's my only explanation as to why she managed to discover her powers so quickly; she already had it in her.

Why did Luke dump her? It's difficult to say. It could be that he was afraid that she would be in danger if she stayed with him. Either way it needs a pretty good explanation or else the most beloved character in the Star Wars universe would just be a lousy parent and a pretty flawed individual.

Rian Johnson did a great job on Looper but this is a whole different monster. I'm sure we will have a darker episode 8 a la Empire and I hope he will fill the gaps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scotox
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!