Team by Team 2016/17 Season Preview Part 2 of 3

NolansOrient

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
Continuing on from Part 1, I apologise for any errors in the first instalment, I am but a mere mortal, moving swiftly on to...

Crewe Alexandra: Last season = 24th (League 1)
A miserable run out last year for the Railwaymen, but in truth they have been fortunate to stay in League 1 for as long as they did. Rock bottom in 2015/16, and with fewer youth prospects coming through from the famous Midlands academy than in previous years, it would take an optimistic supporter indeed to assume Crewe are likely to bounce back up at the first attempt.

Still, the signings of Ryan Lowe and Chris Dagnall upfront represent a wealth of experience, with a combined age of 67 and a league goals tally of 276, Crewe should be able to net a few in League 2. Personally, I wonder if Lowe will still be of much use at 37, but Dagnall is comfortably their best signing of the summer in my opinion

The departure of Brad Inman to Peterborough is a significant blow, and I would expect Crewe to be relatively unexciting. Play offs are not an impossibility, but with a small-ish squad and aging front line, I think lower mid table is more realistic this year before pushing on in the following season.

Prediction = 17th.

Doncaster Rovers: Last season = 21st (League 1)
Inconsistency was the Achilles Heel for Rovers last year, as they slumped to a disappointing 21st in League 1, earning them a spot in League 2 for the first time in 12 years.

Fans don't seemed to have warmed to Ferguson Jnr, but he has been rather astute in the transfer market, as well as retaining the core of a side that were probably (on paper) too good to go down last year.

Wright and Baudry shore up the defence very nicely, Rowe and McSheffrey to bolster the midfield and Marquis brought in up front (I rate him highly) leaves Rovers looking good heading into game week 1. Experienced heads such as Coppinger will add much value over the 46 matches to come, and whilst the jury is still out on young Darren, on paper Rovers look very tough to stop at this level.

Prediction = 1st.

Exeter City: Last season = 14th
My motto is 'never bet on Exeter', and with good reason, they can be unplayable one week, and Ryman standard the next, and in recent years I have predicted the Grecians would finish highly, that ends this year.

Tisdale is a fine lower league manager, who always tries to play on-the-deck football, and to that end the signing of Lloyd James from Orient looks to be a match made in heaven. Goals could be an issue though, as the uninspiring signings of Liam McAlinden and Robbie Simpson do little to offset the significant losses of Hoskins (injury problems aside), Nicholls and Ribiero.

Financially, things look up for Exeter, with a tasty cup run last year, combined with a neat sell-on-clause, it's a shame Tis hasn't been given more to spend, and, largely due to this, I think it'll be another run-of-the-mill year for the Grecians.

Prediction = 15th.

Grimsby: Last season = 2nd (Conference)
A summer of sweeping change for Conference play-off winners Grimsby.

The most potentially damaging change being the loss of Amond, who moves over to fellow northerners Hartlepool. He scored for fun in the Conference, but questions remain over his ability to score consistently in the football league, so it may not be as big a loss as it looks, especially with 16-goal Omar Boyle keen to step up.

Portsmouth's veteran Ben Davies makes the move, in what looks to be a very shrewd signing, as does the loan of 22 year old Vose from Scunny.

Aside from those 2, however, its a host of lower league mediocrity, which includes many players who consistently find themselves at the wrong end of the league 2 table; Summerfield, Zak Mills and Ashley Chambers to name but a few.

With plenty of new faces this team could take time to gel, and I'm not convinced they have the quality to guarantee staying up, might be a close shave for the Mariners.

Prediction = 21st/22nd.

Hartlepool: Last season = 16th.
A fairly robust 16th last season for the Pools, who will surely relish a slightly more northern line up in the league this time out.

As for the coming season, looks like goals could be on the menu at Victoria Park, with the signings of Amond (fresh from a 30 goal season last year) and Rochdale's Alessandra (who I actually rate despite a very average couple of years), Hignett looks to be targeting a top-7 finish. And why not, with the additions of Grimsby's Ysiala at the back, and Nicky Deverdics in the middle, Hartlepool could surprise a few.

Personally, I don't think they quite have the depth of quality required to sustain a genuine play off push, but expect to see them at the right end of the table for a change.

Prediction = 10th.

Leyton Orient: Last season = 8th.
Despite going through another 18 managers, an injury crisis or a par with the 100 years war, an owner quite literally running onto the pitch to kung-fu kick our now-manager Andy Hessenthaler, and Ollie Palmer, Orient still somehow contrived to finish 8th last season, in what was another bitterly frustrating season for the Os faithful.

Reasons for optimism this time out though, the Orient have, in my view, been the most impressive League 2 outfit in the transfer market this summer, with a number of genuine quality signings; Robbie Weir, Liam Kelly, Gavin Massey, Jordan Bowery and Tom Parkes to name but a few. The retention of top scorer Jay Simpson is another mini-coup for the east London outfit, as he is surely too good for this level. Add to this the returns of Dean Cox and Paul McCallum from injury, as well as a crop of extremely promising youth players, and you have a side brimming with League 1 quality in most positions.

All this positivity could be brought crashing down to earth if the bumbling billionaire Bechetti continues to fiddle with the side, and the home supporters needs to reign their toxicity and actually get behind the players. If these factors can be addressed there's no reason why the Os cant be in the top 3 come May.

Prediction = 2nd.

Luton: Last season = 11th.
People predicted Luton to win automatic promotion last year, but I wasn't surprised in the slightest to see them finish in mid table. Last summer's signings were largely disappointing, especially the likes of Scotty Cuthbert, Danny Green and the well-past-his-best Craig MS. However, things seem a little different this time down at Kenilworth Road.

Stand out players from last season (Mariott and McGeehan in particular) have been retained by the club, and the summer signings have, again, lead to optimism amongst the supporters. Mullins looks to be an excellent defensive signing, and the capture of Oxford's Hylton to partner Mariott up top, should ensure Luton's stay in League 2 is brief, not to mention all the fun hotel-related puns that spring to mind.

With their budget you would expect Luton to be up there, and this summer seems to indicate that they may have finally fine-tuned the team. One big doubt is new keeper Walton, who signs after poor spells at Plymouth and Brighton - potential Achilles Heel?

Prediction = 3rd (just).

Mansfield: Last season = 12th.
Decent run out last time for Mansfield, although in truth I felt they were in a false position for much of the season; this was best exemplified by their dreadful record against sides in the top half of the table.

The loss of Tafazolli this summer, and fans favourite Nicky Hunt last season, does leave questions over their defensive capabilities, although Benning is arguably one of the best left-backs in the division.

Up front, Green was fairly average last year, and he looks to be partnered by Danny Rose, whose goal scoring record is far from impressive. Both technically gifted players, but if they struggle to put the ball in the back of the net, and I think they will, the Stags could have some trouble this season, especially if the injury-prone Green becomes unavailable.

Prediction= What's the opposite of dark horses? light horses? 19th.

NolansOrient

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
If Grimsby finish below 15th I will buy a hat and eat it.
I found them really challenging to place to be fair, but looking at their signings, the aging Davies aside, nothing really excited me. Too much change to really know where they will be, and in my opinion the league as a whole looks stronger than last year. What makes you think they will finish higher than 15th?

les.gtfc

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Aside from those 2, however, its a host of lower league mediocrity, which includes many players who consistently find themselves at the wrong end of the league 2 table; Summerfield, Zak Mills and Ashley Chambers to name but a few.

When has Zak Mills been involved at the wrong end of League 2. I thought that this was his first step into league football, having impressed at Boston.

les.gtfc

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
I found them really challenging to place to be fair, but looking at their signings, the aging Davies aside, nothing really excited me. Too much change to really know where they will be, and in my opinion the league as a whole looks stronger than last year. What makes you think they will finish higher than 15th?

Tom Bolarinwa is a superb signing and should be a great player for us this season. Still young but very quick, strong and athletic.

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
''My motto is 'never bet on Exeter'' - :thumbs:

Re Grimsby, no they won't go down but they have lost some very important players. We didn't lose any when we went up, and yet only finished lower mid table. So I'll be surprised if they finish in a comfortable mid table place. I'm thinking more like 18th-20th.

As for Crewe, there's absolutely no chance of them troubling the top 10.

NolansOrient

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
When has Zak Mills been involved at the wrong end of League 2. I thought that this was his first step into league football, having impressed at Boston.
You are quite right, I stand corrected.

StagsForLife

In Matt Green we trust.
Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Twitter
@CWJG_Gregory
Continuing on from Part 1, I apologise for any errors in the first instalment, I am but a mere mortal, moving swiftly on to...

Crewe Alexandra: Last season = 24th (League 1)
A miserable run out last year for the Railwaymen, but in truth they have been fortunate to stay in League 1 for as long as they did. Rock bottom in 2015/16, and with fewer youth prospects coming through from the famous Midlands academy than in previous years, it would take an optimistic supporter indeed to assume Crewe are likely to bounce back up at the first attempt.

Still, the signings of Ryan Lowe and Chris Dagnall upfront represent a wealth of experience, with a combined age of 67 and a league goals tally of 276, Crewe should be able to net a few in League 2. Personally, I wonder if Lowe will still be of much use at 37, but Dagnall is comfortably their best signing of the summer in my opinion

The departure of Brad Inman to Peterborough is a significant blow, and I would expect Crewe to be relatively unexciting. Play offs are not an impossibility, but with a small-ish squad and aging front line, I think lower mid table is more realistic this year before pushing on in the following season.

Prediction = 17th.

Doncaster Rovers: Last season = 21st (League 1)
Inconsistency was the Achilles Heel for Rovers last year, as they slumped to a disappointing 21st in League 1, earning them a spot in League 2 for the first time in 12 years.

Fans don't seemed to have warmed to Ferguson Jnr, but he has been rather astute in the transfer market, as well as retaining the core of a side that were probably (on paper) too good to go down last year.

Wright and Baudry shore up the defence very nicely, Rowe and McSheffrey to bolster the midfield and Marquis brought in up front (I rate him highly) leaves Rovers looking good heading into game week 1. Experienced heads such as Coppinger will add much value over the 46 matches to come, and whilst the jury is still out on young Darren, on paper Rovers look very tough to stop at this level.

Prediction = 1st.

Exeter City: Last season = 14th
My motto is 'never bet on Exeter', and with good reason, they can be unplayable one week, and Ryman standard the next, and in recent years I have predicted the Grecians would finish highly, that ends this year.

Tisdale is a fine lower league manager, who always tries to play on-the-deck football, and to that end the signing of Lloyd James from Orient looks to be a match made in heaven. Goals could be an issue though, as the uninspiring signings of Liam McAlinden and Robbie Simpson do little to offset the significant losses of Hoskins (injury problems aside), Nicholls and Ribiero.

Financially, things look up for Exeter, with a tasty cup run last year, combined with a neat sell-on-clause, it's a shame Tis hasn't been given more to spend, and, largely due to this, I think it'll be another run-of-the-mill year for the Grecians.

Prediction = 15th.

Grimsby: Last season = 2nd (Conference)
A summer of sweeping change for Conference play-off winners Grimsby.

The most potentially damaging change being the loss of Amond, who moves over to fellow northerners Hartlepool. He scored for fun in the Conference, but questions remain over his ability to score consistently in the football league, so it may not be as big a loss as it looks, especially with 16-goal Omar Boyle keen to step up.

Portsmouth's veteran Ben Davies makes the move, in what looks to be a very shrewd signing, as does the loan of 22 year old Vose from Scunny.

With plenty of new faces this team could take time to gel, and I'm not convinced they have the quality to guarantee staying up, might be a close shave for the Mariners.

Prediction = 21st/22nd.

Hartlepool: Last season = 16th.
A fairly robust 16th last season for the Pools, who will surely relish a slightly more northern line up in the league this time out.

As for the coming season, looks like goals could be on the menu at Victoria Park, with the signings of Amond (fresh from a 30 goal season last year) and Rochdale's Alessandra (who I actually rate despite a very average couple of years), Hignett looks to be targeting a top-7 finish. And why not, with the additions of Grimsby's Ysiala at the back, and Nicky Deverdics in the middle, Hartlepool could surprise a few.

Personally, I don't think they quite have the depth of quality required to sustain a genuine play off push, but expect to see them at the right end of the table for a change.

Prediction = 10th.

Leyton Orient: Last season = 8th.
Despite going through another 18 managers, an injury crisis or a par with the 100 years war, an owner quite literally running onto the pitch to kung-fu kick our now-manager Andy Hessenthaler, and Ollie Palmer, Orient still somehow contrived to finish 8th last season, in what was another bitterly frustrating season for the Os faithful.

Reasons for optimism this time out though, the Orient have, in my view, been the most impressive League 2 outfit in the transfer market this summer, with a number of genuine quality signings; Robbie Weir, Liam Kelly, Gavin Massey, Jordan Bowery and Tom Parkes to name but a few. The retention of top scorer Jay Simpson is another mini-coup for the east London outfit, as he is surely too good for this level. Add to this the returns of Dean Cox and Paul McCallum from injury, as well as a crop of extremely promising youth players, and you have a side brimming with League 1 quality in most positions.

All this positivity could be brought crashing down to earth if the bumbling billionaire Bechetti continues to fiddle with the side, and the home supporters needs to reign their toxicity and actually get behind the players. If these factors can be addressed there's no reason why the Os cant be in the top 3 come May.

Prediction = 2nd.

People predicted Luton to win automatic promotion last year, but I wasn't surprised in the slightest to see them finish in mid table. Last summer's signings were largely disappointing, especially the likes of Scotty Cuthbert, Danny Green and the well-past-his-best Craig MS. However, things seem a little different this time down at Kenilworth Road.

Stand out players from last season (Mariott and McGeehan in particular) have been retained by the club, and the summer signings have, again, lead to optimism amongst the supporters. Mullins looks to be an excellent defensive signing, and the capture of Oxford's Hylton to partner Mariott up top, should ensure Luton's stay in League 2 is brief, not to mention all the fun hotel-related puns that spring to mind.

With their budget you would expect Luton to be up there, and this summer seems to indicate that they may have finally fine-tuned the team. One big doubt is new keeper Walton, who signs after poor spells at Plymouth and Brighton - potential Achilles Heel?

Prediction = 3rd (just).

Mansfield: Last season = 12th.
Decent run out last time for Mansfield, although in truth I felt they were in a false position for much of the season; this was best exemplified by their dreadful record against sides in the top half of the table.

The loss of Tafazolli this summer, and fans favourite Nicky Hunt last season, does leave questions over their defensive capabilities, although Benning is arguably one of the best left-backs in the division.

Up front, Green was fairly average last year, and he looks to be partnered by Danny Rose, whose goal scoring record is far from impressive. Both technically gifted players, but if they struggle to put the ball in the back of the net, and I think they will, the Stags could have some trouble this season, especially if the injury-prone Green becomes unavailable.

Prediction= What's the opposite of dark horses? light horses? 19th.
Mate you haven't got a clue. 19th!? Green being the 7th top goalscorer last year is average? We've replaced Tafazolli with Taft who was let go by Burton because of injury and not ability. All our signings have been decent. You're not researching this at all are you?

NolansOrient

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
Mate you haven't got a clue. 19th!? Green being the 7th top goalscorer last year is average? We've replaced Tafazolli with Taft who was let go by Burton because of injury and not ability. All our signings have been decent. You're not researching this at all are you?
I'm no expert, just my humble opinion. Green is great on his day, but he's injury prone and I don't rate Rose at all, so where are the goals going to come from? It's nothing personal against Mansfield, I just have a feeling you may struggle more than last season.

Looking at placing all 24 teams it's really tough this year, I wouldn't be surprised at all if I got things wrong...

Where do you think you will finish?

NolansOrient

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
''My motto is 'never bet on Exeter'' - :thumbs:

Re Grimsby, no they won't go down but they have lost some very important players. We didn't lose any when we went up, and yet only finished lower mid table. So I'll be surprised if they finish in a comfortable mid table place. I'm thinking more like 18th-20th.

As for Crewe, there's absolutely no chance of them troubling the top 10.
Hence why I have them finishing 17th! :p

StagsForLife

In Matt Green we trust.
Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Twitter
@CWJG_Gregory
I'm no expert, just my humble opinion. Green is great on his day, but he's injury prone and I don't rate Rose at all, so where are the goals going to come from? It's nothing personal against Mansfield, I just have a feeling you may struggle more than last season.

Looking at placing all 24 teams it's really tough this year, I wouldn't be surprised at all if I got things wrong...

Where do you think you will finish?
Injury prone? You mean one bad injury which he has fully recovered from. The same Matt Green which played 47 games last season. The Danny Rose who has scored every 200 minutes with most of his appearances being off the bench?

StagsForLife

In Matt Green we trust.
Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Twitter
@CWJG_Gregory
Our team is one of the better ones out there and should be pushing for the play offs. The only real weakness is Squad Depth for us.

NolansOrient

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
Injury prone? You mean one bad injury which he has fully recovered from. The same Matt Green which played 47 games last season. The Danny Rose who has scored every 200 minutes with most of his appearances being off the bench?
Like I said buddy, I'm no expert. But I saw Mansfield home and away last year and wasn't impressed. I've always thought that record against the better sides in the division is an excellent indicator of quality, and Mansfield's was awful last season, and I don't really think they've improved massively over the summer. Just my 2 cents, naturally, as a Mansfield fan, you know more about them than I do...

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Don't make us feel bad, Vanni:sad:

;) But seriously, you lot are way too inconsistent for my liking. Or perhaps I'm not meant to include you in my acca? Cos it's always you lot who screw it all up. Now you've joined the likes of Barnsley and Bradford in my 'never bet on these sides' list.

NolansOrient

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
I don't think they'll finish as low as 17th, but it's true about not predicting on Exeter. I've lost count of the number of times they've let me down.
Every now and then I get tempted, but I've Pavlovianed myself into not losing money on the Grecians

Clarkey_GTFC

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@daveclarkeutm
Hurst seems to be taking a big risk this season by completely changing our set up, he usually tries 4-3-3 but scraps it after a month. We could well start slow because of it. I don't think our squad is terrible, I think our defence is sound enough and we've got a shed load of pace about us. We'll probably get ran over by the better teams but we'll get enough wins against the poor ones to be safe. 18th-20th would be fine.

BeesKnees

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet FC
It's amazing how statisics can be twisted. Danny Rose has 2 goals in his last 16 league two appearances and no goals in his last 19 league one appearances. He has only managed to play 90 minutes on four occasions and the pattern shows he gets off to a flyer and then fades, unable to be relied upon as a first choice and best suited as an impact player from the bench.
I've never seen the guy and haven't a clue if he is any good.

cufc17

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle
Hartlepool have signed some solid Conference players over the summer, must be preparing for the 17/18 season already :whistle:

I can't see Mansfield finishing that low, Matt Green's goals will be enough to ensure that. In contrast to their record against the top sides, I'm sure they had an impressive record against the lesser teams.

I don't know an awful lot about Grimsby, or most of their signings, but I think Bogle will grab a fair few goals this season.

George Reilly's Hairpiece

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Our team is one of the better ones out there and should be pushing for the play offs. The only real weakness is Squad Depth for us.

The new loan rules will be a real game changer this year. Not just for you but for most clubs at this level that can't afford to carry big squads.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
Hurst seems to be taking a big risk this season by completely changing our set up, he usually tries 4-3-3 but scraps it after a month. We could well start slow because of it. I don't think our squad is terrible, I think our defence is sound enough and we've got a shed load of pace about us. We'll probably get ran over by the better teams but we'll get enough wins against the poor ones to be safe. 18th-20th would be fine.

This, I think we have signed enough quality to avoid a relegation battle, a mix of league experience and up and coming players from below, we probably won't trouble the top half, but we will have enough about us to be comfortable mid table I suppose, anything 13th-20th most likely, decent first season back and something to build on for next year.

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town

Prediction = 3rd (just).
Our signings last season were fantastic on paper - its just their application was abysmal and they were managed improperly (if that's what you mean?)
I think you may have us a couple of places too high, but I certainly think we'll be solid play off contenders at a minimum.
Re Walton - he was called up to the England U21 squad in March, so he must have something about him. I watched him in a friendly at Boreham Wood - felt he was a bit tentative, but he's still learning his way with his new colleagues.

Baratheon

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
It's amazing how statisics can be twisted. Danny Rose has 2 goals in his last 16 league two appearances and no goals in his last 19 league one appearances. He has only managed to play 90 minutes on four occasions and the pattern shows he gets off to a flyer and then fades, unable to be relied upon as a first choice and best suited as an impact player from the bench.
I've never seen the guy and haven't a clue if he is any good.
Some good valid points made in here about Mansfield. I agree about Rose in that he is not really proven yet. He may be a good foil for Green and chip in with a few but that depends on whether Murray has the guts to play 2 up front. The point about our record against the top sides last season is also obviously valid. Our signings have been generally good and I think we will improve on last season, mainly through Murray's learning curve. However, I don't think we will make the play-offs this season, a solid 9th for me.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Good post generally about us. We're a bit of an unknown quantity this season with all our new signings. I'm hopeful of improvement this season but hard to tell if the new lads will come off. Great Conference players but can they handle the step up? If they do, we might be on for a good campaign, although we don't really have a ball winner type in midfield and we might struggle without that. Can't see us being near the drop but not sure there's enough there for a top half finish. I'd go around 14th but like I say, difficult to predict.

Judge Dredd

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
One big doubt is new keeper Walton, who signs after poor spells at Plymouth and Brighton - potential Achilles Heel?

Agreed that the keeper is a big question mark. He obviously has talent but is a huge unknown at this point, surprised we haven't got an experienced head in as cover at least. Although the new loan rules do have a bit more leniency about them with goalkeepers I believe.

I think we have three major potential flaws this season:
- goalkeeper question
- lack of height in central defence - we were fecking awful at defending crosses and set pieces last season, Mullins and Sheehan are good players but neither are above 6 foot and we've looked vulnerable to long balls in pre-season)
- lack of creativity in midfield - McGeehan provides goals but isn't much of a passer, we don't really have any natural playmakers in the squad. Pelly Ruddock on his day can do it but he's so inconsistent (the "non-league Yaya Toure" as some Luton fans were fond of calling him has ended up being more like the "non-league Moussa Sissoko" unfortunately)

We obviously have plenty of goals in the side and I expect we will dominate possession in most games. I do worry that we will struggle to break teams down if/when we encounter one parking the bus however, it was a real issue last season and hasn't really been addressed in terms of new signings. I expect us to make the play-offs, not sure about top 3 though.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Something we have going for us this season is that Paul Hurst is brilliant in the transfer market, these players that maybe don't look too inspiring most will turn out to be excellent signings as Hurst very rarely signs a dud.
Obviously not all will turn out great, but Hurst's track record in the transfer market is superb.

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Pelly Ruddock on his day can do it but he's so inconsistent (the "non-league Yaya Toure" as some Luton fans were fond of calling him has ended up being more like the "non-league Moussa Sissoko" unfortunately)
A bit harsh on Pelly, Dredd - he's lost a year of his career through injury, so that was always going to check his progress. In non-league and at times at the beginning of last season, he was virtually unplayable at times.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
:lol: Mansfield fans are so bloody touchy when it comes to people suggesting their team might not be promotion material and their players might not be world class. :lol::lol:

Last edited:

Judge Dredd

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
A bit harsh on Pelly, Dredd - he's lost a year of his career through injury, so that was always going to check his progress. In non-league and at times at the beginning of last season, he was virtually unplayable at times.

I don't think it's that harsh tbh - he is ridiculously inconsistent. For every "unplayable" game there are two "can't pass five yards to an unmarked team-mate under no pressure" games. The Sissoko comparison is pretty apt too - looked like he had huge potential as a box to box CM, but has ended up being moved out wide for large chunks of his game time because too often he looks like he can't be arsed, fails to do the very basics properly and consequently can be a liability in a key central area.

He's still got potential to kick on (he was absolutely brilliant against Brighton the other day playing centrally), but this has to be the season for him to step up now. He needs to stay injury free, he needs to nail down a spot in the XI (and play the same position week in, week out), and he needs to develop his consistency levels.

The problem for us is, he is by far the most creative passer we have in the midfield area currently. And if he doesn't develop his consistency, we'll be left without a creative midfield player 50% of the time at least.

I assume the much-delayed final signing will be designed to address that but we'll see. As of right now it is a concern for me, how often did we see us labour to break down dogged defensive teams last season? We've addressed the central defence, we've addressed the front line - we've done nothing with the middle of the pitch yet (well, we have bought Rea of course, but he's not going to be opening teams up with his passing).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hudders
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!