The Holidays Thread

Nath

Reaction score
Supports
José
Best place to stay in Berlin?

Preferably looking for somewhere reasonably priced, close to the Mitte district and has a gym/pool. It's for myself and the girlfriend for a few days in December.

Also, any advice as to the best places to go shopping, the markets, restaurants etc would be greatly appreciated.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
At least Szimpla still kept its relaxed atmosphere.

Not when I went this summer, you couldn't move in there and literally everyone was English.

Remember ending up in a pretty shite club called Doboz, the birds got in free, while we got felt up and had our pockets checked. Was a cool looking place inside but the 'welcome' fucked me off.

I fucking love Budapest though, so cheap and beer aplenty, love a few pre-drinks round Gozsdu Udvar.

Reaction score
Supports
millwall
Not when I went this summer, you couldn't move in there and literally everyone was English.

Remember ending up in a pretty shite club called Doboz, the birds got in free, while we got felt up and had our pockets checked. Was a cool looking place inside but the 'welcome' fucked me off.

I fucking love Budapest though, so cheap and beer aplenty, love a few pre-drinks round Gozsdu Udvar.

Summertime ;) Tourist season in full flow, Friday and Saturday nights now there are queues getting into Szimpla which was unheard of 2 years ago; theres a bar just down the road that is half the price, okay music and full of Hungarians (Good girls). It's very difficult to find a Hungarian in Szimpla these days, when I first went, Hungarians were surprised to find someone who spoke English...The good ol days :D

I don't like Gozsdu although I can see why tourists enjoy it, lots of bars and restaurants and buzzing with people. I preferred it before it got gentrified with live bands in a couple of bars and complete different type of people drinking there. Maybe also because the bar we use to go to changed ownership, and the whole atmosphere changed...Maybe it was the smoking ban that killed it. The smoking ban killed quite a few good bars that just couldn't cope with the Hungarian winter.

Doboz only opened up 2 years ago, we went maybe twice but it's just a more upmarket place trying to take advantage of District VII reputation of ruin bars. Id never pay to go into a ruin bar when there are so many available that are free... and better.

The tourist explosion in Budapest though is crazy...I suppose Ryanair starting to fly there helped it a little bit.

Im having second thoughts about moving back after seeing flat prices; 300euros seems to be the cheapest I can find and most of my friends there are confirming what the internet says... It use to be 150-190 euros when I first moved. As my friends in Berlin are saying; The party is over, turn the lights out.

Unless I can find an affordable place; I'll either stay in England or move to Colombia. The job in Colombia pays wank but it's more just for the experience and a chance to become fluent in Spanish.

Last week of my holiday now; In Curitiba to party with a Brazilian friend who I met in Budapest one night; after that Im heading to Foz de Igzau for the waterfalls before starting a mammoth 35 hour journey back to London Gatwick!!

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
Alright for some, I might make the exotic trip to Lancaster this weekend.

Techno Natch

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
What do you guys do about changing up money in Budapest? I read it's better to do it at a kiosk when you're there? Hoping to find a techno or psy trance night.

What are the areas away from the tourist areas? Going in January but doesn't mean it will be quiet.

We tend to do a lot of walking around on holiday trying to find little places away from the main areas. Think we'll try to get down the river if we can to.

HertsWolf

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Wolves
Not necessarily, although it does save a lot of money. It means you can do the Golden Circle and visit the waterfalls in Southern and Northern Iceland all free of charge. There's plenty of tours you can pay for though.

The waterfalls are truly remarkable and the volcanic crater was also amazing to see. There's also lots of ice caves, which unfortunately we didn't get to see. It's a lot of travelling but such a great experience, as you can tell from the responses in this thread.

Would disagree with that. You really can only get the best of Iceland outside Reykjavik by renting a car. And unfortunately, car rental in Iceland is shockingly expensive.

Love the place though.

HertsWolf

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Wolves
At the risk of pissing off Welsh people, we went to North Wales for ten days in the summer. Near Blaenau Ffestiniog. Stunning countryside, nice hills, sheep, cows, castles.

But.......the food was really mediocre. Really a bit grim. We struggled to find anything more than your really average pub food...it was edible but not once did we eat anything to write home about. Although in the end we did send two postcards.

So why is it so difficult to find good food in Snowdonia?

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
What do you guys do about changing up money in Budapest? I read it's better to do it at a kiosk when you're there? Hoping to find a techno or psy trance night.

What are the areas away from the tourist areas? Going in January but doesn't mean it will be quiet.

We tend to do a lot of walking around on holiday trying to find little places away from the main areas. Think we'll try to get down the river if we can to.

There are plenty of little kiosks dotted about, I brought some Forints with me and withdrew from a cash machine but I think my mates got a decent rate from the kiosks.

Better off asking GD about the non-touristy bits I was bang in the middle of it. I did find though that even when you're in the middle of District VII, you can still find cool, little bars where you're not surrounded by rowdy holiday makers.

I imagine it's a different place in January than it is in July too.

I'll be going back next year at some point, definitely.

SUTSS

Survivor Champion 2015
Reaction score
Supports
Norwich City
At the risk of pissing off Welsh people, we went to North Wales for ten days in the summer. Near Blaenau Ffestiniog. Stunning countryside, nice hills, sheep, cows, castles.

But.......the food was really mediocre. Really a bit grim. We struggled to find anything more than your really average pub food...it was edible but not once did we eat anything to write home about. Although in the end we did send two postcards.

So why is it so difficult to find good food in Snowdonia?

Having spent a lot of time in North Wales (holidays + uni) I'd have to agree with this. Always struggling when family came to visit to find somewhere that was good to eat and there was only one place, in Menai Bridge, that stood out as anything special (although I've heard the standard there has fallen quite dramatically recently).

Nath

Reaction score
Supports
José
Would disagree with that. You really can only get the best of Iceland outside Reykjavik by renting a car. And unfortunately, car rental in Iceland is shockingly expensive.

Love the place though.

I agree. To get the best out of Iceland, then a car certainly helps. However some of the main attractions are accessible in other ways, such as the tours. Either way it costs a lot of money.

blademan89

Reaction score
Supports
sheffield united
Far too many trips abroad this year. Spent an absolute fortune still got a couple left too benidorm in november then cape town for the cricket at new year. 11 trips in total suppose lifes there to be enjoyed even if it does skint you constantly.

BlueBee

Reaction score
Supports
Making goonerz cry
I was in Budapest once. Didn't enjoy the vibe...the best part was the baths. I imagine myself retiring and moving over there to play chess all day in the heated pool.

76 days till I go to Hong Kong, it really can't come soon enough. Heading from there to Malaysia to meet my mates family for a few days. Then onto Bangkok and then wherever the wind takes us around SE Asia. And then onto Australia. Going to be alright I reckon.

blademan89

Reaction score
Supports
sheffield united
I was in Budapest once. Didn't enjoy the vibe...the best part was the baths. I imagine myself retiring and moving over there to play chess all day in the heated pool.

76 days till I go to Hong Kong, it really can't come soon enough. Heading from there to Malaysia to meet my mates family for a few days. Then onto Bangkok and then wherever the wind takes us around SE Asia. And then onto Australia. Going to be alright I reckon.

Where abouts in aus or you doing all the main cities.

Techno Natch

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Far too many trips abroad this year. Spent an absolute fortune still got a couple left too benidorm in november then cape town for the cricket at new year. 11 trips in total suppose lifes there to be enjoyed even if it does skint you constantly.

Definitely. What would you save money for anyway? Retirement? A house? Seems like a waste to me. As long as you're not getting into silly debt keep doing it while you can.

BlueBee

Reaction score
Supports
Making goonerz cry
Where abouts in aus or you doing all the main cities.
Melbourne all the way up the east coast. Undecided whether I might stay out there for longer than the planned 3 months. If I can get work (I should do with bar experience and plumbing qualifications) I'd be tempted to.

nousername

Reaction score
Supports
Rangers
Get down to Tasmania BlueBee. Really beautiful part of the world that a lot of people miss. I love Australia, but I'm not the biggest fan of the East Coast of Oz, a bit Magaluffy...

blademan89

Reaction score
Supports
sheffield united
Melbourne all the way up the east coast. Undecided whether I might stay out there for longer than the planned 3 months. If I can get work (I should do with bar experience and plumbing qualifications) I'd be tempted to.

Did the adelaide test in the 2010/11 ashes and went to melbourne for a few nights towards the end of our trip. I enjoyed it tbh the short time we were there , invaded someones christmas party and ended up on free booze all night was the highlight. Apart from that it really is very expensive well the dollar was only worth 1.5 to the pound then its slightly better now.

blademan89

Reaction score
Supports
sheffield united
Definitely. What would you save money for anyway? Retirement? A house? Seems like a waste to me. As long as you're not getting into silly debt keep doing it while you can.

Thats what i say people save thousands up for when there older and buy houses all for what, to fucking give away when you die. Not for me that

Techno Natch

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Thats what i say people save thousands up for when there older and buy houses all for what, to fucking give away when you die. Not for me that

I've always felt that way but now seeing my Dad has convinced me even more.

They've literally saved up all their life, paid into a pension and bought their house. No debt. They brought up their own kids and then adopted\fostered 4 more long term and many short terms along the way. They always planned to retire and then do all the travelling they want but now he's ill and can't fly etc which I find I really sad. I just can't see the point in saving for a dream that might never come.

No right way to do things of course but yeah not for me either! Enjoy cape town by the way, South Africa is great we'd like to do a bit of traveling around there. Namibia, Botswana etc.

blademan89

Reaction score
Supports
sheffield united
I've always felt that way but now seeing my Dad has convinced me even more.

They've literally saved up all their life, paid into a pension and bought their house. No debt. They brought up their own kids and then adopted\fostered 4 more long term and many short terms along the way. They always planned to retire and then do all the travelling they want but now he's ill and can't fly etc which I find I really sad. I just can't see the point in saving for a dream that might never come.

No right way to do things of course but yeah not for me either! Enjoy cape town by the way, South Africa is great we'd like to do a bit of traveling around there. Namibia, Botswana etc.

Never been before but a lot of mates who went for the world cup and been for cricket say its superb so should be a good en.

Van Der Graaf

Reaction score
Supports
Aldershot/Crvena zvezda

Not entirely related, but you've reminded me what really, really grinds my gears. Amount of times at Uni all I hear is 'you're a student, why do you do all these trips and yet never come out with us?' and my reply is always the same - 'People are happy to spend £20+ on a night out three times a week and eat out twice a week at say £15 a pop....That's about £80 a week straight off the bat. Over the month I'm leaving between trips I've saved enough for a week away'.....Only for them to go, 'You're wasting uni. Shouldn't you have done a gap year or wait till after Uni then?' :hb: Er, no. I don't like going to the same shite clubs, repeating the same routine week after week. I do like travelling though...Thankfully my housemates have come to understand this so no longer do I get invited to Oceana or Forum...

Anyhow my main question is this. In April I want to go to Sarajevo for the weekend for the derby, but flights there direct are about double what I'd be willing to pay, so what neighbouring country is easiest/cheapest to use? I found a cheap flight to Dubrovnik, and Skopje always seems to be about £20 each way whenever I look, but was wondering if anyone has any experience of this?

Stagat

#stagat
Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
Anyhow my main question is this. In April I want to go to Sarajevo for the weekend for the derby, but flights there direct are about double what I'd be willing to pay, so what neighbouring country is easiest/cheapest to use? I found a cheap flight to Dubrovnik, and Skopje always seems to be about £20 each way whenever I look, but was wondering if anyone has any experience of this?

No idea.

And no idea if this will help or not either but I saw a nice Skyscanner trick the other week.

Check for indirect flights to places around where you want to go to. They might connect there (in your case, Sarajevo). For some reason, they are sometimes cheaper than buying a direct flight there. Maybe because indirect routes to the terminal destination don't sell very well.

Anyway, if you find one, take hand luggage only and just don't get on the connecting flight.

Might not turn up any results but worth a shot?

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
One of my biggest regrets is not seeing more of the world, was always happy doing the usual holidays and going out on the piss. 27 now and realising the world is a massive place and I've seen fuck all of it really.

Me and my fiancé are off to Houston on New Years day though then on to New York so something to look forward to.

Techno Natch

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
27's nothing mate still got loads of time. I used to think when I was 23 I'd missed my chance to go backpacking which is weird as I have loads of time and I'm the same ages as you now.

My mates are well into their 40's and do camping holidays all around the world. Depends if you want to settle though I guess.

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
27's nothing mate still got loads of time. I used to think when I was 23 I'd missed my chance to go backpacking which is weird as I have loads of time and I'm the same ages as you now.

My mates are well into their 40's and do camping holidays all around the world. Depends if you want to settle though I guess.

Yeah that's the thing now, engaged, thinking of starting a family etc.

I still definitely want to see more of the world and I know I still have plenty of time, even if we have to wait until any kids we have are grown but I just can't help but wish I'd done some of this before I started settling down rather than spending every spare minute getting pissed, I could have seen some amazing places and still got pissed there if I had wanted!

Megaclyde

Reaction score
Supports
Leeds
My parents are in their 50's and travel now more than ever, I've no idea how they get so much holiday time when they both still work full time.
After 4 years of me living in Peru they finally decided to come over, now that I've grown cynical of all the tourist stuff and will probs give them a negative opinion of everything.

Van Der Graaf

Reaction score
Supports
Aldershot/Crvena zvezda
No idea.

And no idea if this will help or not either but I saw a nice Skyscanner trick the other week.

Check for indirect flights to places around where you want to go to. They might connect there (in your case, Sarajevo). For some reason, they are sometimes cheaper than buying a direct flight there. Maybe because indirect routes to the terminal destination don't sell very well.

Anyway, if you find one, take hand luggage only and just don't get on the connecting flight.

Might not turn up any results but worth a shot?

I've done all the skyscanner tricks, I swear by that website. May look properly again in January when Ryanair/Wizzair have another sale.

Reaction score
Supports
millwall

Quite difficult to miss the river mate considering it splits the city in half....

Plenty of Kiosks there to exchange money due to them not being in the Euro. Good rates as well, better than the shit you get back in UK. Depending how you get from the airport to the city centre though you'll need some forints for when you land.

District VII is still full with bars with no tourists, there are so many random bars in this district you find new ones every night. District VIII is further away but also one of the more dangerous districts.

Corvin Teto maybe your kind of place, but last year there were no more than 50 people in there which is a shame as it use to be packed out. Aquarium does some techno nights I think as well, my friends into their drugs use to go there every now and again anyway.

I've done all the skyscanner tricks, I swear by that website. May look properly again in January when Ryanair/Wizzair have another sale.

There's a 25 euro shuttle bus from Belgrade to Sarajevo that takes around 5 hours if I remember correctly. I'm not sure Belgrade is so cheap to fly to though.

there use to be a 12 hour train journey from Budapest but that was cancelled recently; although Zagreb must only be around 6/7 hours away by train to Sarajevo.

What about Split? That surely must have an airport; I think it's 5 hours to Mostar on the bus from Split, then 5 hours from Mostar to Sarajevo. Mostar and Split are two gorgeous cities with some of the most natural good looking girls I've ever seen.

Techno Natch

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Last edited:

nousername

Reaction score
Supports
Rangers
Yeah that's the thing now, engaged, thinking of starting a family etc.

I still definitely want to see more of the world and I know I still have plenty of time, even if we have to wait until any kids we have are grown but I just can't help but wish I'd done some of this before I started settling down rather than spending every spare minute getting pissed, I could have seen some amazing places and still got pissed there if I had wanted!

Circumstances usually dictate that when you're younger you have more free time, energy and disposable income to spunk on that sort of stuff, but I think it's a richer experience if you travel or back-pack when you're older. Most of the interesting types I've met in hotels and hostels around the World are the ones in there 30s and 40s, who have seen a bit more, avoid the 19 year olds on the organised pub crawls...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hudders
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!