Stickied The Mental Health Thread.

Baz

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County
Twitter
@mrnebarry
Sad news, do you think you could reconcile down the line if things get any better?

Spirederman

Forum Game King
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield, We're Fucking Shit and Conference North Bound!!
Fuuuuckkk. Why have I only just looked at this thread??

I suffer very much like what Jase has described. I'm still on meds but am desperate to come off them totally.

I was originally diagnosed with depression/anxiety despite never feeling particularly low. Anxiety was the big one for me,probably caused through years of drug abuse then getting clean, having a family and having to deal with real life.

Initially prescribed Propranolol for the anxiety, Citalopram for depression and Aripiprazole (bearing in mind this is an extremely powerful anti-psychotic that was prescribed off label) for facial tics that came with the anxiety, and Zopiclone to help me sleep.

So I'd just got 'clean' yet was on more fucking drugs than ever, and this shattered my confidence, as well as making me like a walking zombie. Other than going to work (Scaffolding on those meds!!!!) and football I never left the house, and had regular anxiety attacks when I did.

The Citalopram and Propranolol weren't helping and I'd got the tics under control so I came off them and the Apriprazole and onto Diazepam for Anxiety and Sertraline for depression. Although Diazepam help bring an attack under control they aren't to be abused (The old me would have thrown 28 blues down my neck in one go and have thought I was invisible while taking a bottle of whiskey off the shop shelf and stuffing it somewhere on my person!!)so still suffered from anxiety and again the Sertraline were doing fuck all.

Back to the consultant I see to change again, onto Mirtazipine which also help you sleep so I scrapped the Zopiclone. I put on around 2 stone in 6 weeks on these so they took me off those and put me on Trazodone, Nitrazepam and still prescribed the Diazepam for when I had an attack...

Thankfully this combo was right for me. Started feeling confident again, looked for a new job which I love and despite still suffering with anxiety (we probably will for the rest of our lives lads) my quality of life is great. Asked the consultant to write to my GP about 4 weeks ago asking them to remove Diazepam from repeat which was a big step. He prescribed me 56 to last me 6 months until my next hospital appointment.

It's a long fucking road, and although this seems strange to say, I'm glad you fuckers are on it with me!!

Baz

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County
Twitter
@mrnebarry
A classic case of proving the GP's right when it comes to meds for mental health as it takes a sodding age to get what's right for you. I was fortunate enough to get the right meds straight away.

Glad you're getting there and you're right, getting Diazepam off repeat is huge. My GP would only prescribe 2 months worth for me and never gave me anymore, but thankfully I didn't need them all and took the majority back to the pharmacy.

I'm delighted this thread is being of help to some of you, and i'd love to know how you're all getting on (For those that have contributed) :)

Spirederman

Forum Game King
Reaction score
Supports
Thanks Baz, those same sentiments back at you mate :)

It is a nightmare finding the right one, and Mirtazipine apart it was only my sheer persistency that convinced the consultant or GP to let me try summat else.

The diazepam was a huge step for me. Going to monitor for next 6 months, hopefully not need any at all then reduce the Nitrazepam from 2x5m to 5 when I go back.

Baz

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County
Twitter
@mrnebarry
Excellent stuff, it's brilliant you're in the position to say you want to start to reduce your meds, that is a massive step in itself. I believe it took 4/5 months for me to come off my meds properly. It got reduced from 10 to 5 to 5 every other day then pretty much stopped from there from memory.

Bit of an update on my boy. We had a first meeting with the second level mental health team (One below CAMHS) so that's massive for us too. We've been told it is a 2/3 month process for the secondary team to decide if we need to get a diagnosis etc going forward. The boy was well behaved during the meeting which is sods law, but she picked up on a few traits already which is very interesting. Next time we go, it's without the boy to go through all the boring shit.

Reactions: JJH

Spirederman

Forum Game King
Reaction score
Supports
Excellent stuff, it's brilliant you're in the position to say you want to start to reduce your meds, that is a massive step in itself. I believe it took 4/5 months for me to come off my meds properly. It got reduced from 10 to 5 to 5 every other day then pretty much stopped from there from memory.

Bit of an update on my boy. We had a first meeting with the second level mental health team (One below CAMHS) so that's massive for us too. We've been told it is a 2/3 month process for the secondary team to decide if we need to get a diagnosis etc going forward. The boy was well behaved during the meeting which is sods law, but she picked up on a few traits already which is very interesting. Next time we go, it's without the boy to go through all the boring shit.
What were you on mate if you don't mind me asking?

Hope everything goes well with the lad. Got my fingers crossed for you.

Baz

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County
Twitter
@mrnebarry
What were you on mate if you don't mind me asking?

Hope everything goes well with the lad. Got my fingers crossed for you.

I was on Citalopram daily and had one batch of Diazepam. Also did a lot of self help, so researched and did all the reading around coping strategies, relaxation techniques and logging of triggers etc. I actually find what I went through is helping with my job where I engage with people with similar issues to get them back into employment or training, funny how all that worked out haha.

Spirederman

Forum Game King
Reaction score
Supports
I was on Citalopram daily and had one batch of Diazepam. Also did a lot of self help, so researched and did all the reading around coping strategies, relaxation techniques and logging of triggers etc. I actually find what I went through is helping with my job where I engage with people with similar issues to get them back into employment or training, funny how all that worked out haha.
I learnt all those through 2 courses of CBT.

I employed them when it suited though, instead of all the time, either through laziness or feeling sorry for myself. Sad to admit that, but I now realise I should have done more with the learned (past tense and past participle both used in this post..which is bloody correct??) :lol:techniques and relied less on meds.

Think it's great that you get to pass on your knowledge though man. That must be extremely rewarding.

Baz

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County
Twitter
@mrnebarry
With MH being more widely recognised i'm just glad to be able to say to people who are struggling, i've been there, seen it, done it and come out the other side. It's so much easier to empathise with others when you've been there, and I find the ones I engage with are usually glad they got someone who can understand what they're going through to a certain degree.

Spirederman

Forum Game King
Reaction score
Supports
With MH being more widely recognised i'm just glad to be able to say to people who are struggling, i've been there, seen it, done it and come out the other side. It's so much easier to empathise with others when you've been there, and I find the ones I engage with are usually glad they got someone who can understand what they're going through to a certain degree.
It's great that we can have threads like this, open discussion with adults that suffer, without the fear of the stigma that a topic like this would have played on posters minds not too long ago in the past.
Until you've been there I don't think you can understand how debilitating an illness it is, and I'm glad it's being recognised more and more and more weight is being put behind funding and research.

I worked as a volunteer at a walk in drug clinic for quite a while before I quit scaffolding and moved into IT. It was the same there, service users would open up to me because of my first hand experience of their situation and my ability to empathise and not judge. Obviously you still have to set the boundaries, but it's much easier to get them to open up when you can talk to them on their level, make them feel comfortable by showing the correct body language and even sometimes by talking in street lingo.

It seems me and you have quite a bit in common :lol:

Last edited:

Baz

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County
Twitter
@mrnebarry
That we do, that we do.

When engaging with people with obvious barriers, no matter what they are, they'll open up easier if you can actual relate personal experience to their issues, it's just something I notice people doing. There are peer lead support groups for most issues, but not MH, certainly not in my area anyway, but that's a different matter.

Notice Aber gas is liking some posts, how are your issues at the moment?

Aber gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol rovers
That we do, that we do.

When engaging with people with obvious barriers, no matter what they are, they'll open up easier if you can actual relate personal experience to their issues, it's just something I notice people doing. There are peer lead support groups for most issues, but not MH, certainly not in my area anyway, but that's a different matter.

Notice Aber gas is liking some posts, how are your issues at the moment?
I'm good Baz. I'm still coping without medication although there are days I want to sprint for the doctors but these are becoming less severe. It's a case of not becoming too overconfident. I still have to be careful with situations and manage my stress but hopefully it's working. Just trying to keep some discipline regarding my coping strategies and not let them slide because I'm feeling relatively healthy. I changed jobs around six months ago and my new employer has been very supportive in terms of practical help which has made a huge difference.
I was happy to read that you are making strides with your lad and yourself.
Best wishes and thoughts to you and your family as always.

TheMinsterman

Reaction score
Supports
York City & Italy
Yeah, there was always going to be resentment in that scenario and I know too well (from the experience of close friends) that it is all too easy for women to use kids as weapons. And more often than not, they're more than eager to use them as such, to the extent that someone would stick around in an unhappy marriage so as to not lose the privilege of spending time with their children.

Without knowing too many details surrounding the circumstances of your split with current ex, I'd say keep communicating and dont' abandon the relationship. As difficult as it may be for her, and I'd imagine things can be pretty grim for someone who's partner's family just don't want to know, she should a degree of empathy of the situation given how you two met. It basically broke a home - which is how the previous ex would see it anyway. Your family, while being good to the previous ex, also have to respect that you have a life to live because atm they're disregarding your happiness completely which isnt fair. Not to mention it seems they're also shoving all the emotional baggage onto you too.

I know it's a lot to deal with, but you're the one in the driving seat in this situation and as messy as it may seem you're gonna have to sift through the haystack to find the needle I.e. solution and the only way that'll happen is honest communication. It's obviously not gonna be easy when it seems so many people are against you, but if you dont do it for your kid and the relationship with current ex no one will.

I'm a bit late to this one Skinner but, I know you say this agreement is all mutual but.... it feels like anything but.

What s1lk says its bang on, you sound just like I was (am still to an extent) when you felt like you have no control and your life is dictated by everyone else, there's only one way that goes, you get angrier and more frustrated and it will lead to you lashing out when you don't want to perhaps at those who don't "deserve" it. You have to recognise you matter too, everything seems to be getting done for the sake of others and that simply can't work. You may need to make some tough choices (perhaps have since you posted), but the last thing your son needs is his father run down into the dirt as well.

It's awful how people use kids as pawns to win their personal battles, I hope it works out.

Reactions: JJH

Spirederman

Forum Game King
Reaction score
Supports
I'm a bit late to this one Skinner but, I know you say this agreement is all mutual but.... it feels like anything but.

What s1lk says its bang on, you sound just like I was (am still to an extent) when you felt like you have no control and your life is dictated by everyone else, there's only one way that goes, you get angrier and more frustrated and it will lead to you lashing out when you don't want to perhaps at those who don't "deserve" it. You have to recognise you matter too, everything seems to be getting done for the sake of others and that simply can't work. You may need to make some tough choices (perhaps have since you posted), but the last thing your son needs is his father run down into the dirt as well.

It's awful how people use kids as pawns to win their personal battles, I hope it works out.
Couldn't agree more, and sincerely hope everything turns out orate for Skinner and the lad.

The bit that irked me about the situation is that it was fine for the boy's mum to introduce another bloke into his life, yet Skinner's missus was being used as a reason to keep him away from his son.

I don't understand that way of thinking, and I'm sorry mate (Skinner) if you think I've overstepped the mark in saying that. I just think it's hypocritical to say the least.

Hope it all turns out for the best interests of you and your lad, and the ex stops using the young un as a way to mentally punish you.

mnb089mnb

Ian
Reaction score
Supports
Coral.co.uk & Ladbrokes.com
Twitter
@taylorswift13
In all fairness we've only heard Skinner's side of the story so it's not right to be judgemental about his ex.

Spirederman

Forum Game King
Reaction score
Supports
In all fairness we've only heard Skinner's side of the story so it's not right to be judgemental about his ex.
I did say 'if you think I've overstepped the mark'.......

I get it mnb

Baz

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County
Twitter
@mrnebarry
I'm good Baz. I'm still coping without medication although there are days I want to sprint for the doctors but these are becoming less severe. It's a case of not becoming too overconfident. I still have to be careful with situations and manage my stress but hopefully it's working. Just trying to keep some discipline regarding my coping strategies and not let them slide because I'm feeling relatively healthy. I changed jobs around six months ago and my new employer has been very supportive in terms of practical help which has made a huge difference.
I was happy to read that you are making strides with your lad and yourself.
Best wishes and thoughts to you and your family as always.
Brilliant news that. You can relax to a certain degree as you know what will work for you if you need those techniques. It's a tricky one as you need to own it before it owns you. Whatever works though init? Keep us update though.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

TractorBoys

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town
Figured I'd revisit this thread in the rare moment I'm online these days to selfishly talk about myself.

Got my diagnosis after several sessions with the Psychiatrist after being referred. I'm what's known as a mixed bag... been officially diagnosed with Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder (Social Phobia) and dependence on Alcohol ...

The latter being a coping strategy, was quite eye opening to sit there and have to admit that I don't really leave the house for social interaction unless there is some form of drug (alcohol or otherwise). My alcohol levels are fairly high but I'm not physically addicted, yet still fall under dependency.

The result... a script for Sertraline to tackle the social element, taking me off fluoxetine, referrals for Physocology CBT over a 6 month period and a referral back to Horizon which are the drug and alcohol workers too. I'm on the Bi Polar spectrum also meaning I may be considered for mood stabilisers dependant on my progress.

What a fucking list that is! Coupled with the fact I lost my first child, Harvey, recently to hypoplastic left heart syndrome... and my (now ex) girlfriend has moved down south alone since, it's been pretty dark. But at least I have a diagnosis after 9 years and I owe it to myself to commit to the care plan to give it a fighting chance.

Does anyone ITT have personal experience with Sertraline? Reviews for people with same diagnosis as me look pretty good but I'm all to aware that I've just bought a ticket for the SSRI lottery once more...

Hope everyone else is doing alright!

Last edited:

Aber gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol rovers
Figured I'd revisit this thread in the rare moment I'm online these days to selfishly talk about myself.

Got my diagnosis after several sessions with the Psychiatrist after being referred. I'm what's known as a mixed bag... been officially diagnosed with Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder (Social Phobia) and dependence on Alcohol ...

The latter being a coping strategy, was quite eye opening to sit there and have to admit that I don't really leave the house for social interaction unless there is some form of drug (alcohol or otherwise). My alcohol levels are fairly high but I'm not physically addicted, yet still fall under dependency.

The result... a script for Sertraline to tackle the social element, referrals for Physocology CBT over a 6 month period and a referral back to Horizon which are the drug and alcohol workers too. I'm on the Bi Polar spectrum also meaning I may be considered for mood stabilisers dependant on my progress.

What a fucking list that is! Coupled with the fact I lost my first child recently to hypoplastic left heart syndrome... it's been pretty dark. But at least I have a diagnosis after 9 years and I owe it to myself to commit to the care plan to give it a fighting chance.

That's shit mate. A horrible thing to happen. Thoughts to you and your partner.

sl1k

the one
Reaction score
Supports

The result... a script for Sertraline to tackle the social element, taking me off fluoxetine, referrals for Physocology CBT over a 6 month period and a referral back to Horizon which are the drug and alcohol workers too. I'm on the Bi Polar spectrum also meaning I may be considered for mood stabilisers dependant on my progress.

What a fucking list that is! Coupled with the fact I lost my first child, Harvey, recently to hypoplastic left heart syndrome... and my (now ex) girlfriend has moved down south alone since, it's been pretty dark. But at least I have a diagnosis after 9 years and I owe it to myself to commit to the care plan to give it a fighting chance.

Does anyone ITT have personal experience with Sertraline? Reviews for people with same diagnosis as me look pretty good but I'm all to aware that I've just bought a ticket for the SSRI lottery once more...

Sertraline is usually the first anti depressant they prescribe. It'll take a couple weeks (maybe even a month) before you'll know whether it's working for you or not, from which they'll assess whether to increase dose or change the med entirely. It's good that you know what you're dealing with now though (diagnosis).

Am deeply sorry to hear about your boy.

Spirederman

Forum Game King
Reaction score
Supports

I'm extremely sorry to hear about your little lad TB. I couldn't even begin to comprehend what torture you've been through.

Citalopram or Sertraline, as has been said above, tend to be the starter Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors that they would start you on. It's not to everyone's liking and it can take several months to find the right one for you.

My experience of it wasn't great, but hopefully it suits you and you don't need to change.

I'm on Trazodone currently which is a SARI, so it all depends on which fits the patient the best. My only advice, if it isn't right for you and they want to change it would be to say no to the Tricyclic drugs as these tend to have shitty side effects. Again though, that's personal experience so it maybe different for you.

If you don't mind me asking, you mentioned 'alcohol or otherwise', what else would you use to cope with a social situation?

I used Heroin for many years, recreational at the start, then as the years passed although I lived a 'normal' life, worked, went out with the lads, the football etc, I couldn't socially function without it.

Really hope things improve for you very soon. If you ever need to talk to anyone in private, then feel free to drop me a PM. That said I think this thread is great, and a much better alternative to that as we're all extremely open, and want to help each other.

My thoughts are with you buddy.

Last edited:

Abertawe

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Swansea
I owe it to myself to commit to the care plan to give it a fighting chance.
Absolutely mate. Every time that demon appears and you feel like submitting just tell yourself that you're worth the sacrifice and ain't no fucker gonna stop you from enjoying & furthering yourself.

Baz

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County
Twitter
@mrnebarry

Sounds like a right shitter mate. I can't even pretend to know what it's like to loose a child so that ontop of everything else must be awful.

On the flip side I am glad you're getting the support you need. It willtake time but you will get there.

Plus you saying you'ge going to commit to the plan is huge. Needless to say, this is like peer support here, so please, please fo use this thread and use our support when it's needed.

Also my 8 year old potentially has bi-polar and that is a royal shitter for us to cope with sigh, let alone witb what you've been through.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

mente captus

Reaction score
Supports
wins
I left my wife on the 21th of june.

It was a hard decision and it took me years to finally end our marriage.

She has changed completly after our daughter was born 4 years ago, from happy and joyful to completly broken.

I tried so much to help her but we had some occasional moments of levity at best and she rarely wanted my help.

I know that she loves me and that i was the love of her life as she was it for me

I will miss her for the rest of my life, thats for sure but i think i wasnt strong enough.

Bye sweetheart

View attachment 3905

Damned b*tch. You are sick!

Wants to try to take a away my daughter from me and will move at the end of next week the house next to mine with her new boyfriend.....

I never meant to start a war....

Youll never get Hannah alone!
2016-08-07 10.33.55.jpg

mente captus

Reaction score
Supports
wins
Damned b*tch. You are sick!

Wants to try to take a away my daughter from me and will move at the end of next week the house next to mine with her new boyfriend.....

I never meant to start a war....

Youll never get Hannah alone!View attachment 4110
She will move the house next door on sunday...police already ordered to protect......me......

Whoever said that love is the greatest feeling has never seen the hate in the eyes of my ex-wife.

Baz

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County
Twitter
@mrnebarry
Had a couple of random anxious days, no idea what the trigger was, probably nothing at all, but it's seemingly eased now waheyy.

Dave-Vale

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I've mentioned before on here briefly (in the former footballers thread about MH issues).

Currently having a bit of an episode of major anxiety and depression. Finally went to the doctor and got prescribed Citalopram (which I've been on for 8 weeks). Was referred for CBT and finally called the other day (yes, it took me 8 weeks to work up the courage to call, paced the whole house for 45 minutes before putting the number in). Not sure it's going to help really. I know being anxious about going to the shop or even coming to post on a forum is ridiculous but I can't help it. I can't help overthinking everything all of the time; constantly playing through the worst case scenario in your mind. It is absurd and I know it is but it doesn't stop me thinking this way.

Anybody had any experience of CBT? What happens if that doesn't work? Can I ask my doctor for a referral to a qualified psychotherapist/psychologist?

Looking into this stuff a bit more I've read about various personality disorders and I can see traits that I have in a few of them; borderline personality disorder probably being the main one. Especially when I look back through my late teens to now.

Head is totally trashed.

Max

Reaction score
Supports
Birmingham City
Had a couple of random anxious days, no idea what the trigger was, probably nothing at all, but it's seemingly eased now waheyy.
Speaking from personal experience, I find that sometimes when you're in quite a good place, you'll get the odd anxious day or two seemingly from nowhere. Some good advice I was given is that it's great if you know what triggers your symptoms, but even if you don't, the most important thing is to respond in the right way, and to use whatever helpful techniques you've learned in the past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazzer

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!