The PPV Discussion Thread

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
Mino Raiola & Jorge Mendes
You think turning Ambrose heel and then having Reigns go over him will benefit both guys? The fans will see right through and shit all over that. That would make Ambrose look like a complete bitch and make Reigns even more resentful. It's quite possibly the worst thing they could do.

Ambrose and Reigns should remain bros but go back to single careers after Summerslam. Ambrose is fine as he is, he's an over face in a time where that's rare, why fuck that up? He can feud for one of the midcard titles. Reigns needs to create an identity of his own, because he's still Shield guy well over a year after the split: same look, same entrance, same everything. It doesn't matter who you throw Roman into a feud with, it'll be the same until he breaks out as a personality.

If anything they should be setting Reigns up to turn, that would make the most sense.

Last edited:

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
Jon Stewart will be hosting Summerslam. Hopefully now he's retired from The Daily Show we can see more of him doing stuff with WWE, the guy is hilarious. He's also one of those rare celebrities that genuinely likes the business and adds to shows rather than those awkward guests that look embarrassed to be involved.

It'll be fun to see if he picks up where he left off with Rollins.

C

Captain Scumbag

If anything they should be setting Reigns up to turn, that would make the most sense.

Yep.

Pretty much everyone who has succeeded as a main event face in the last 15-20 years made their breakthrough (or enjoyed a significant period) as a heel. Taker, Michaels, Austin, Rock, Triple H, Lesnar, Angle, Batista, Guerrero, Cena, Orton, Punk. Even Daniel Bryan had a (very entertaining) run playing an arrogant dickhead. In fact, it's hard to think of a single example of someone who got hugely over as a top guy without having a decent heel run first. Bret Hart is literally the only one I can think of. Maybe Mysterio?

It's really not that complicated. The older, smarkier fans (who still comprise a huge proportion of the fanbase) are much more intuitively drawn towards heels than babyfaces, so it's actually easier for up-and-coming stars to make that connection with the fans by playing a villain. Once that connection has been made, the fans will be more accepting of a face turn.

Reigns probably needs a heel turn more than anyone else in the company.

Last edited by a moderator:

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
Yep.

Pretty much everyone who has succeeded as a main event face in the last 15-20 years made their breakthrough (or enjoyed a significant period) as a heel. Taker, Michaels, Austin, Rock, Triple H, Lesnar, Angle, Batista, Guerrero, Cena, Orton, Punk. Even Daniel Bryan had a (very entertaining) run playing an arrogant dickhead. In fact, it's hard to think of a single example of someone who got hugely over as a top guy without having a decent heel run first. Bret Hart is literally the only one I can think of. Maybe Mysterio?

It's really not that complicated. The older, smarkier fans (who still comprise a huge proportion of the fanbase) are much more intuitively drawn towards heels than babyfaces, so it's actually easier for up-and-coming stars to make that connection with the fans by playing a villain. Once that connection has been made, the fans will be more accepting of a face turn.

Reigns probably need a heel turn more than anyone else in the company.

Exactly. It's easier to show personality as a heel because you're unrestricted promo wise. Reigns couldn't be more primed to turn, he's floundering as a face and he's proving an unlikeable guy.

Ambrose will eventually turn heel and it will most likely be great, but in a day where getting over as a face is harder than ever he has succeeded. It'd be a shame to waste that on another attempt to get Reigns over.

Bret was a heel in The Hart Foundation before he broke out as a singles guy.

Back to the PPV, Sheamus vs Orton confirmed to have their 14th PPV match since 2009.

Oaf

Maharajah
Reaction score
Supports
PLIMUFF
That card is dire, it really is. For a Summerslam? Hideous.

Ha, I just came into this thread to say that I'm quite looking forwards to Summerslam and that the card looks superb.

I mean...

Taker Lesnar at WM30, regardless of the shock ending, absolutely sucked. However, it's well known that Taker got a concussion very early in the match, and it's about the only poor match The Undertaker has had in the last 5 or 6 years as well as being the only bad match Lesnar has had since he's been back. I'm willing to back them in having another match and getting it right this time around.

Seth vs Cena: I'm probably the only person who actually kind of hoped that Cena would be next for Seth, because it just seemed to be the next logical step for Seths title reign. He's gone all of this time holding the title, it's about time he defended it against the top dog. And lets bare in mind, both Cena and Seth are fully capable of having superb matches, there is no reason that this shouldn't be great.

Kevin Owens vs Cesaro: Do I even need to explain why this is going to be superb? If this isn't one of the best ten or so matches to come out of 2015, it'd be a shock.

Wyatts vs Ambrose and Reigns: This is only a Seth Rollins (big loss) and an Eric Rowan (no loss) away from being a recreation of some of the best matches I ever remember watching, with those Wyatt vs Shield matches. Yes, not having Seth Rollins involved will hurt, but that still isn't to say that this can't be absolutely brilliant.

Those four matches alone have potential to steal the show and become classics. If just two of those matches live up to expectations, the event will have been a success.

Plus we actually have a decent match involving a celebrity for once with this Stephen Amell stuff. Unlike most other actors who step into the ring, the man is a natural athlete. Plus Arrow is awesome. It's been built well and I think he'll surprise a few people at Summerslam. My only gripe with the entire thing is the way that Barrett has been shoved into the whole affair.

Yes, Orton vs Sheamus again is a bit dull and I'm not sure why they think that people want to see that happen, but the rest of the card is pretty strong as well.

All in all, I'd be surprised if Summerslam isn't great. It's possibly one of the most exciting sounding non WM PPV's on paper that we've had in a long time.

Leewilson

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham and Redbridge
I agree Oaf. I don't really understand the hate for the card either. I'm looking forward to the main events which are the show sellers.

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
On face value the card is awful. Lesnar vs Undertaker has been done and serves to do nothing but hurt one or both guys. Cena vs Rollins has been done to death, they feuded all last year and had a match three weeks ago ffs. The card screams 'we can't make new stars.'

The intrigue for me is in seeing a big angle start or see a turn or two.

Eamonn

Reaction score
Supports
Man United
I also think its a pretty good card, the build for Mania wasnt great but that card delivered and I expect this will be the same. Cena/Rollins, Owens/Cesaro I expect to be both great matches, Lesnar/Taker should be a spectacle with the differing dynamics this time. AmbroseReigns tag I think would have benefited from a no DQ stipulation as theres a lack of gimmick matches on the card and would really sell the hatred in the feud. but I still expect a pretty good match. Divas will be given time I am sure to put on a good match,10-15 minutes certainly and I am looking forward to it. I have an interest in pretty much every match, Amells appearance is exciting to see what he will do, I'm actually looking forward to Miz/Ryback/Show Ive enjoyed the build to this one, Big Shows become a lot more bearable for me as of late, tag title match should be fun also with New Day and the high flying from Luchas and Matadores. Orton/Sheamus is the only one I dont care much for due to it being their 15th PPV match or something like that in the last 5 years but still I expect a solid match as always. With the extra hour hopefully each match gets the time to deliver and possibly even a Rock appearance.

I will be watching at a London bar live with 200 other fans, I cant wait, should be a great atmosphere.

Oaf

Maharajah
Reaction score
Supports
PLIMUFF
Got a feeling Sheamus cashes in, Rollins starts a face turn?

Seeing a lot of rumours of this happening. They seem to really want to turn Seth face and they seem to think Sheamus taking his place in the authority is the way to do it. The main goal of everything Seth is doing seems to be to get him and Triple H into a match, probably at WM 32.

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
NXT anyone?

Decent show and a good main event. The crowd was good despite trying to get themselves over a few times.

The intro with HHH was awesome.

The women embracing was the perfect transcending moment. There was closure and a passing of the torch, very nicely done.

Blue Pants exposes the stupidity of wrestling fans, cheered only for having a dumb name. It's the exact reason Ryder was sabotaged, WWE thought his overness was born from the same thing. It's the thing I hate most about fans.

Still not convinced by Balor, his gimmick and Japanese reputation is getting him by for now but his shocking lack of personality will soon expose him. Really enjoyed the match though, Owen took some crazy bumps.

Going to get tickets to the tour in December.

SamScfc

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport
Twitter
@samcharnock94
I actually think this might be quite good, it will either be absolutely brilliant, or utter shite

Cena v Rollins will obviously end in a no contest, no doubt in my mind about that

Undertaker will beat Lesnar

The divas match - PCB or BAD to win. By submission obviously. Zzzz.

Skip Sheffield to win.

kopite

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool
I think the card is underwhelming but it will deliver! Wrestlemania's card looked weak but on the night it was spot on.

Making it 4 hours, the promotion, celeb involvement...wwe will make sure everyone leaves the show thinking...woah!

I can't see Sheamus cashing in this soon. He will be champion in the new year closer to the time Ninja turtles movie comes out. Stephen Amell will likely be involved in future cross promotions too. For anyone who doesn't know Sheamus is Rocksteady and Amell is Casey Jones in the new movie.

Stevencc

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
°
That Cena/Rollins match was absolutely fantastic...shame about the stupid ending.

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
Shenanigans in the two main matches worse than expected. I love Stewart but that was shit.
WM 30 had a shit match with s great ending, tonight had a great match with a shit ending.
Lesnar going down with the finger was hilarious.

New Day win the entire event.

Last edited:

Leewilson

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham and Redbridge
Thought it was a brilliant main event. The ending was a little silly but it sets it up for a final showdown at Wrestlemania in Undertaker's hometown. They can set up a retirement angle from this ending where Heyman goads Undertaker and says how he can't beat Lesnar fairly and how the world saw him tap out. He doesn't have it anymore etc. Undertaker can refute this and say how he beat Lesnar and he will again, if he can't then he retires as he is no longer the dominant force in the WWE.

It writes itself really. Lesnar will beat Undertaker in the main event at Wrestlemania, then they'll do the respect handshake thing and Taker will walk off down the ramp for one final time.

The match itself though was excellently told. It was slow paced but with a purpose. The psychological elements were superb and they made it believable enough that Undertaker was essentially fighting for his life. I loved the bit where they both sat up and that chokeslam was brilliant. I thought Undertaker looked very good throughout. He can't work at a fast pace anymore but he certainly sold the hell out of the match.

Last edited:

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
I think they fucked it up really bad. If they were going to commit to the third match, which everyone thought they would, they should have just had the ending they had without Undertaker tapping. Now Undertaker looks like a bitch and any future match seems pointless. Not only has Brock beaten his streak at 'Mania, he's made the fucker give in when desperate for revenge. Very strange.

I'm happy though as it was a great match and Brock was well protected with the finish.

Leewilson

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham and Redbridge
I think they fucked it up really bad. If they were going to commit to the third match, which everyone thought they would, they should have just had the ending they had without Undertaker tapping. Now Undertaker looks like a bitch and any future match seems pointless. Not only has Brock beaten his streak at 'Mania, he's made the fucker give in when desperate for revenge. Very strange.

I'm happy though as it was a great match and Brock was well protected with the finish.

The Undertaker tapping gives Heyman and Brock a reason to go after the Undertaker for a 3rd match. If Brock just passes out, he looks strong but there's no need for a rematch as Taker outlasted him. If anything, Taker looks stronger in that case having not passed out of the Kimara lock yet made Lesnar pass out of Hells Gate.

This route is perfect as the entire story they've tried to tell is of a desperate and vengeful Undertaker who isn't the commanding presence he once was. This is essentially the passing of the torch. The most dominant and feared superstar for years having his legacy challenged by the 'Beast' who nobody, not even John Cena can get near in in-ring competition. Undertaker showed with the low blow and 'cheating' that he is prepared to do anything to maintain his legacy. The whole "I'll kill you" "You're gonna have to" further emphasises this.

They have the perfect set up for a retirement angle now. Taker won but disrespectfully. At the same time though, he stood toe to toe with Lesnar and gave as good as he got for the match. Lesnar vs Taker at WM32 in Taker's hometown will be epic and will be an awesome way for Taker to bow out having passed the torch.

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
'Taker won but disrespecfully would have been fine. Him winning is reason enough for the third match. But why have him tap out first, Russo the ending and make me lose all interest?

Leewilson

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham and Redbridge
'Taker won but disrespecfully would have been fine. Him winning is reason enough for the third match. But why have him tap out first, Russo the ending and make me lose all interest?

You were never interested. You've hated everything to do with this from the start.

Eamonn

Reaction score
Supports
Man United
I really enjoyed that PPV, some great wrestling and was a hell of a lot of fun as well as a wrestling event should be. Claims NXT was better is laughable, only Sasha/Bayley topped anything, Cesaro/Owens, Rollins/Cena and Taker/Lesnar were all better than the ladder match and any other match. Tag match was very fun, New Day are incredibly entertaining and deserve another reign. Rollins proved why he really should be top face not the top heel in the company, his moveset has been so limited but more on show last night, he can be a big face, hopefully some seeds planted tonight.

Taker/Lesnar was way better than I was expecting,Taker took more moves than I anticipated but a great story, I hope it doesnt continue; they could go down the rematch route but really Lesnar knows he really won so doesnt need another match, Taker can then be challenged by Sting on his desperation and go for the dream match we all wanted, double retirement WM32 where Taker redeems himself.

Interested in Rollins/Cena directions now, surely Cena will want a US title rematch probably that night on Raw but then again Cena did say when he won it when he loses he wont ask for a rematch but then Cena is the biggest hypocrite. Not sure who will go after the WWE title though.

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
You were never interested. You've hated everything to do with this from the start.

True, mainly because there's no reason to hinder Brock's momentum by having him involved with a guy that wrestles once a year and is nearly sixty. That being said, I wouldn't have minded 'Taker going out with a win against Brock at 'Mania for a redemption parting.

I just think 'Taker was made to look like a complete bitch and the match did no favours for anyone. 'Taker lost at 'Mania, he tapped last night, why should I believe Brock is itching for a rematch?

JoeJoeJoeJoe

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry
True, mainly because there's no reason to hinder Brock's momentum by having him involved with a guy that wrestles once a year and is nearly sixty. That being said, I wouldn't have minded 'Taker going out with a win against Brock at 'Mania for a redemption parting.

I just think 'Taker was made to look like a complete bitch and the match did no favours for anyone. 'Taker lost at 'Mania, he tapped last night, why should I believe Brock is itching for a rematch?

He's 50.

NiallQuinnDiscoPants

Reaction score
Supports
Manchester City
my 3 favourite matches on the card

3: WWE Tag Title Match - basically just New Day. They are the greatest thing on WWE tv right now. Just brilliant. The clapping. The dancing. The humour. The heat they put on 'smelly' new york. they're the best character heel tag team since Edge & Christian in my opinion.
2:Reigns & Ambrose v Wyatts - i really dug this match. especially the start which was just bodies flying everywhere. i think it's wise to keep reigns & ambrose together too. they're both compliment each other well.
1:Rollins v Cena - fantastic match, best of the night. would have been verging on 4 1/2 stars if it had a good ending but it didn't. the jon stewart turn could probably have been seen a mile off, probably on mars. and all the shit Cena has kicked out of, and one of the things that takes him down is a fucking Jon Stewart chair shot. Ugh. Rest of the match was fantastic though. Rollins is amazing, definitely in my top 3 best workers of the year.

Stevencc

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
°
gOQAggG.gif

Libertine

Reaction score
Supports
Leicester City
Four hours was WAY too much. It's special for Mania but there was no need here, even though it obviously gives more talent time.

Fantastic main event match but again the clusterfuck ending was anticlimactic. I get the point to lead to the rubber match the idea was actually okay but the execution was so messy and nobody had a clue what was going on. Why would the bell keeper ring of his own accord when they never do during cheating/outside interference when the ref is down for example? Wasn't bothered about Taker looking weak, actually quite liked him tapping, but I didn't like Heyman getting on the mic and whining after. There's too much flip-flopping between face/heel in this whole storyline for both men. Would've been better staying silent with Brock just walking out looking pissed.

Whatever your opinion, another match between these two has created a lot of talk again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hudders

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!