The Promotion Thread

Muzzle

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
I think I said when they appointed Darren Moore, he wouldn't get them promoted, and I remember a Wednesday lad on here agreed. I still think they will get over the line though, Argle have the easier fixtures, and as good as Ipswich are they have to go to Peterborough and Barnsley, so I can see a few slip ups :)

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
I think I said when they appointed Darren Moore, he wouldn't get them promoted, and I remember a Wednesday lad on here agreed. I still think they will get over the line though, Argle have the easier fixtures, and as good as Ipswich are they have to go to Peterborough and Barnsley, so I can see a few slip ups :)
I think when Wednesday do get promoted it will be in spite of Moore rather than because of him.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Tbh, I think both Wednesday and Ipswich have made hard work of it given their squads. Fair play to Plymouth for keeping in there for so long.

geg1992

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town
Tbh, I think both Wednesday and Ipswich have made hard work of it given their squads. Fair play to Plymouth for keeping in there for so long.

I think for us, the first half / two thirds of the season was mostly about building our squad and finding our best players for the best positions.

It's only been since say mid-February where we've had a settled side and it showed. Previously we were chopping and changing the team so much.

Previously we were still very unbalanced but the January transfer window was a game changer for us and we are now a very balanced side.

Mind you, with our budget it's still not really any excuse...

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Money, rather than good management or unearthing skillful players, is the defining factor nowadays unfortunately. Basically, whoever has the most money wins. Long gone are the days of Forest winning the European Cup sadly. You'll obviously take it as a fan but it doesn't half become predictable and boring.

thewwfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe
Money, rather than good management or unearthing skillful players, is the defining factor nowadays unfortunately. Basically, whoever has the most money wins. Long gone are the days of Forest winning the European Cup sadly. You'll obviously take it as a fan but it doesn't half become predictable and boring.

I don’t think that’s true.

Yes, it’s certainly a very influential part of the picture, but it’s not all of it.

Oxford have (I believe) a Top 10 budget, and look what a shitshow they’ve been this season.

Sunderland took several seasons to get out of this division.

With the money comes the expectation and the pressure, as well as the considerable likelihood of acquiring at least a few big-time Charlies who think they’re too good to put in a shift at Accy on a cold Tuesday night.

I also think the number of “fallen giants” in this division is distorting things right now, but then the entire league pyramid has a bunch of weirdness in it right now, where you’ve got all these ex-Prem and Champ sides in L1, all these names in L2 which weren’t even league sides 10 years ago, and all these fallen ex-league sides in the top tier of the Conf (it’s about half, I think).

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
We had no money. Came into league one and walked straight through it. Smallest team ever. And was 2 minutes away from a third season.
It can be done.
Good management, a harmonious environment and a winning team. No reason at all why a fleetwood or a Cambridge can’t do the same.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I don’t think that’s true.

Yes, it’s certainly a very influential part of the picture, but it’s not all of it.

Oxford have (I believe) a Top 10 budget, and look what a shitshow they’ve been this season.

Sunderland took several seasons to get out of this division.

With the money comes the expectation and the pressure, as well as the considerable likelihood of acquiring at least a few big-time Charlies who think they’re too good to put in a shift at Accy on a cold Tuesday night.

I also think the number of “fallen giants” in this division is distorting things right now, but then the entire league pyramid has a bunch of weirdness in it right now, where you’ve got all these ex-Prem and Champ sides in L1, all these names in L2 which weren’t even league sides 10 years ago, and all these fallen ex-league sides in the top tier of the Conf (it’s about half, I think).
There will be the odd anomaly of course, particularly those who have underperformed given the size of their budget or that absolute miracle one off season. But the general trend across all leagues is that those with the most money generally do the best. Look at the Premier League...it's incredibly tedious, the same faces in the top 6, season after season, with the very occasional odd exception. We were one of the bigger budgets in league 2 and we got promoted...

It felt like in the 70s and 80s that although one team might dominate for a period, there were different teams that might challenge and it changed season on season. I don't watch Match of the Day anymore because it's just so predictable.

I've said this before, but it would be so much fairer and more exciting if there was a set budget for every team in league 2 and then higher in league 1 and so on. The biggest supported teams would still attract the better players as they would want to play in front of the biggest crowds but then at least it would be about sport and not money.

For those who say that they deserve a bigger budget because they have more income...I understand this argument. However, some have had the opportunity to build a significant fan base over 100 years of relative success during a time when money didn't mean as much. How do some of the smaller teams every hope to build their fan base when there is such a monopoly and gulf? They'll never get the opportunity to build their fanbase or to enjoy success over a sustained period.

I guarantee all the bigger teams don't give a stuff but football is no longer about sporting achievement...it's all about who has the deepest pockets.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
We had no money. Came into league one and walked straight through it. Smallest team ever. And was 2 minutes away from a third season.
It can be done.
Good management, a harmonious environment and a winning team. No reason at all why a fleetwood or a Cambridge can’t do the same.
What you did is a once in every few seasons miracle really. Yeovil did similar before you and look where they are now. I'm talking about general trends.

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
What you did is a once in every few seasons miracle really. Yeovil did similar before you and look where they are now. I'm talking about general trends.
Where Yeovil are is astounding. My mate is a Weston fan and they got promoted last night - they meet next season. Crazy fall from grace.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Where Yeovil are is astounding. My mate is a Weston fan and they got promoted last night - they meet next season. Crazy fall from grace.
Nuts really, my local side Coalville Town could be at the same level as them and Scunny next season.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Not if Tamworth win tomorrow night behind closed doors ! ( first game was abandoned due to crowd trouble at 2-0 up )
It’s that tight on goal difference a 1-0 Tamworth win keeps Coalville top a 2-1 Tamworth win puts them into the final weekend on exactly the same points, GD GF and GA.

Nuts that one.

Decent side Coalville have with Billy Kee and Ashley Chambers in fairness.

UppaTowen_ITFC

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
Our income is far more than yours. Because we’re getting 3 times more fans a week than you. Why shouldn’t we spend that money that our fans put into the club?

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Our income is far more than yours. Because we’re getting 3 times more fans a week than you. Why shouldn’t we spend that money that our fans put into the club?
What is your excuse in spending double the amount of money that we are spending.......Doubt your income is much more than us???

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
It’s that tight on goal difference a 1-0 Tamworth win keeps Coalville top a 2-1 Tamworth win puts them into the final weekend on exactly the same points, GD GF and GA.

Nuts that one.

Decent side Coalville have with Billy Kee and Ashley Chambers in fairness.
Billy kee is still a legend at our place. Great bloke.

geg1992

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town
What is your excuse in spending double the amount of money that we are spending.......Doubt your income is much more than us???

I should think our income is a lot more than yours. We get much bigger crowds (around 30% bigger) and your cheapest season ticket was £219 phase one, ours £353, around 46% higher. I would also think advertising, shirt sales, sponsorship with Ed Sheeran etc are all higher. We have the highest iFollow revenue too.

Further more, our net spend was almost 0 as we sold players for high fees.

I doubt we have double the revenue, but still a sizeable amount more as per above.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I should think our income is a lot more than yours. We get much bigger crowds (around 30% bigger) and your cheapest season ticket was £219 phase one, ours £353, around 46% higher. I would also think advertising, shirt sales, sponsorship with Ed Sheeran etc are all higher. We have the highest iFollow revenue too.

I doubt we have double the revenue, but still a sizeable amount more as per above.

Ipswich Town had an operating loss of £14.3 Million last season alone.

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Yeah I think it’s a stretch to say Ipswich’s squad is just funded by bigger crowds. The owners are throwing millions at it too.

geg1992

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town
Ipswich Town had an operating loss of £14.3 Million last season alone.

Yeah, I was just replying to the point "Doubt your income is much more than us???".

The owners have put a lot of money into the club and many millions have been spent on the stadium, training facilities etc.

We have a lot of players that I think will leave this summer, which should take some pressure off the wage budget. Players like...

Joe Pigott
Matt Penney
Richard Keogh
Lee Evans potentially
Marcus Harness potentially
Rekeem Harper
Gassan Ahadme
Sone Aluko

Dread to think how much we waste on wages for the above alone! Although harsh on Evans and Harness, I don't think they will be part of our plans next season. All depends which league we're in though. So much can still change.

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
Yeah, I was just replying to the point "Doubt your income is much more than us???".

The owners have put a lot of money into the club and many millions have been spent on the stadium, training facilities etc.

We have a lot of players that I think will leave this summer, which should take some pressure off the wage budget. Players like...

Joe Pigott
Matt Penney
Richard Keogh
Lee Evans potentially
Rekeem Harper
Gassan Ahadme
Sone Aluko

Dread to think how much we waste on wages for the above alone! Although harsh on Evans and Harness, I don't think they will be part of our plans next season. All depends which league we're in though. So much can still change.
We will take harness back please. Sold him to Pompey for 800k-1milllion, with depreciation and running costs he’s 250k-400k

Don Tonberry

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
I'd take Harness back too. Can be infuriatingly inconsistent but still far better than any of the current wingers we have. We did use the funds we got for him to buy Bishop, though, so swings and roundabouts.

GEORGE

Bristol Rovers
Reaction score
Supports
bristol rovers
Where Yeovil are this season is there rightful place. I agree going down to regional football is probably below where they should be . But at least they will have local games with Weston, Taunton Town & Bath City. The worst thing that could have possibly happened to them was getting promoted to the Championship --It nearly bankrupted them. As soon as they reached the Championship the guy with the money left . I worked in Yeovil for 4 years just before this and most people down there supported Premier clubs and had hardly ever been to Huish Park. As soon as they were promoted a few started to go plus a few Bristol City fans who had become dissalusioned with their own club. As soon as the first relegation came all these new supporters left.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton

Fact number one more people will pass through our stadium gates in 12 months than Portman road
Yes i agree that this season you have bigger gates but our stadium is used throughout the year which generates
Revenue outside of the football.....IE England Rugby league and Two Pink Concerts
I also dont see why you generate more in advertising shirt sales bar the Sheeran connection and you are way down on the Sponsorship so again this baffles me.
You brought in 600k for Tyreece Simpson.....?????

Is any of your reply true??

As stated you lost 14m.........We have been there and hopefully never again

TractorBoys

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town

Fact number one more people will pass through our stadium gates in 12 months than Portman road
Yes i agree that this season you have bigger gates but our stadium is used throughout the year which generates
Revenue outside of the football.....IE England Rugby league and Two Pink Concerts
I also dont see why you generate more in advertising shirt sales bar the Sheeran connection and you are way down on the Sponsorship so again this baffles me.
You brought in 600k for Tyreece Simpson.....?????

Is any of your reply true??

As stated you lost 14m.........We have been there and hopefully never again

This was change next season once the new state of the art pitch is in - with concerts and events planned. We're unable to do things like that this season due to the pitch, nothing more. We will monetise our stadium to a greater level than yours next season irrespective of which league we play in.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
This was change next season once the new state of the art pitch is in - with concerts and events planned. We're unable to do things like that this season due to the pitch, nothing more. We will monetise our stadium to a greater level than yours next season irrespective of which league we play in.
Perhaps you will perhaps you wont i am no fortune teller.......We have just signed a 7 figure per season deal for naming rights to the stadium........Portman Road has always been portman road....I wish our Stadium would stick to the one name but it brings much needed revenue in. Two Pink Concerts in Early June and then a new pitch will go down.
In all honesty i do not know how much Portman Road is used out of football or what facilities it houses
I know you WONT monetise your stadium to above ours next season you simply do not have a stadium that can do that

TractorBoys

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town
McKenna has stated in interview that he was told 90 points has never not got promoted - does anyone know if that's true? It's going to need 96/97 now.

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City

Joe Pigott
Matt Penney
Richard Keogh
Lee Evans potentially
Rekeem Harper
Gassan Ahadme
Sone Aluko

I don't think you'll get a fee for Harper...

Tea Towel

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
McKenna has stated in interview that he was told 90 points has never not got promoted - does anyone know if that's true? It's going to need 96/97 now.

Pigs finished on 90 in 3rd when we beat them to 2nd in 2011/12. We finished on 93 and Charlton on 101.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scotox
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!
4K UK IPTV