Tuesday 15th August Fixtures

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
First half I feared the worst. Wigan looked like a big strong fast side who were just ahead of us to everything. I think some of our players are still adjusting to League One, you can't try and fanny around being patient when you have Mellish in midfield because the ball will be taken off you.

Second half we improved massively and were probably the better team over the 45 (sorry, 55)... still need to improve but the signs are there.
Added a bit for you.

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
Another masterclass of shoddy defending as Wycombe’s first two goals came from recycled set pieces. Thought we were comfortably the better side even with 10 men after Dan Happe’s harsh red card. Luke Leahy’s late, two-footed lunge on our reserve keeper obviously got the same treatment. Oh, hang on, it was only a yellow. No, correction again, just a foul… Oh, it was a Wycombe throw in? Marvellous. Wellens and his assistant also sent off, whilst Jordan Brown booked for kicking the ball away and Tom James for taking about five seconds over a throw in. Priorities, priorities…

Think we’ll be fine once our injury list clears up.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
What's this obsession with certain teams in this league knocking it sideways and backwards constantly without actually getting anywhere? Blackpool were another example....do they just want to win possession stats? I can't abide that method of possession for possession sake.

Floreat Salopia

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury
Decent start that. I must admit I had you guys down to struggle but credit where it's due. In mitigation, you've had a very kind fixture list so far. Cheltenham at home is an absolute dream of a first fixture, Stevenage away (although they've started the season well) is a pretty kind first away game and then Burton at home who have had a nightmare start and look all over the place. I would have hoped that we'd have taken 6 points from that. Interesting to see how you get on at Lincoln.
It’s a solid start, nothing more, nothing less. Three games from a forty six league game campaign means next to nothing at this stage. I do believe that a good start to the season tends to set you up for the season nicely though.

Cheltenham I can’t see past relegation, Burton are weak but will stay up as per and I’ve said before the season started that Stevenage have done some good business and there’s no chance they’ll struggle. I agree that it’s not exactly your Bolton’s/Pompey’s but we can only beat what’s in front of us. 6 points is a good return.

Lincoln will be our first proper test I feel, they’ve done some good business this summer and for a lot of people they’re dark horses.

I’ve said from the start that we won’t struggle, we’ve got a midtable squad with two or three additions that can turn it into a play off chasing squad. Rumours are these two or three should be coming in the next couple of weeks… if rumours are true, we’ll exceed my expectations imo… too good to be true these rumours though I feel :(

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
Happy enough with our overall performance especially with ten men, but we've got players learning on the job about this level and Wycombes better players in the end got them over the line. We dominated possession to begin with but as usual did very little with it, Wycombe throw one good cross in our box and they finish it - this is what we need to learn quick.

We was leaking goals from set plays in pre season and we're doing it now the season has started, so its something they've really got to address.

I have to say I thought Wycombe played poorly overall as a team, some good individual players but they were a bit lucky in the end to win I thought. We had chances to take the lead ourselves when we went down to ten men.

Wellens has got to be careful, yes the ref was a bit weak but the red card was the correct decision. We need him on the touchline not in the stands, he has to learn we won't have it all our own way this season like we did last season, better teams with better players are going to beat us.

To rub salt into the wounds our new striker signed from Watford pulled out of the warm up injured - You couldn't make it up how bad our luck with injuries is at the minute.

Last edited:

Marked Ox

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
I’m fairly sure that I’ve just watched the worst Derby County performance in our 139 year history.

Well that is quite an overreaction.

A thoroughly deserved win for us with a good performance. Mark Harris with 2 cracking finishes.

Last edited:

Throbber_for_Dunk

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge
As if any of us care about engaging in a dick measuring contest with Port Vale. Good grief, perish the thought.

Anyway, Steve Evansage were good, think they'll be alright. Would be surprised if not, we played alright but they were better overall so fair fucks. Plenty to be happy about from our side, bring on the next bunch of wrong uns.

Reactions: SVH

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Frustrating evening under the lights against Stevenage who come with a plan and executed it perfectly. We should have taken a point though, schoolboy stuff conceding straight after getting a goal.

In other news, Port Vale fans have well and truly made a mountain out of a molehill but nothing new there. Let’s not forget James Wilson is the best striker in the league and Ripley the best keeper so what’s going wrong?

Super_horns

Reaction score
Supports
WATFORD
Happy enough with our overall performance especially with ten men, but we've got players learning on the job about this level and Wycombes better players in the end got them over the line. We dominated possession to begin with but as usual did very little with it, Wycombe throw one good cross in our box and they finish it - this is what we need to learn quick.

We was leaking goals from set plays in pre season and we're doing it now the season has started, so its something they've really got to address.

I have to say I thought Wycombe played poorly overall as a team, some good individual players but they were a bit lucky in the end to win I thought. We had chances to take the lead ourselves when we went down to ten men.

Wellens has got to be careful, yes the ref was a bit weak but the red card was the correct decision. We need him on the touchline not in the stands, he has to learn we won't have it all our own way this season like we did last season, better teams with better players are going to beat us.

To rub salt into the wounds our new striker signed from Watford pulled out of the warm up injured - You couldn't make it up how bad our luck with injuries is at the minute.
Oh no - not too serious hopefully!

What's this obsession with certain teams in this league knocking it sideways and backwards constantly without actually getting anywhere? Blackpool were another example....do they just want to win possession stats? I can't abide that method of possession for possession sake.
They will say it’s the “right way to play “ though!

You guys probably didn’t see it but Tim Sherwood was on the Sky Soccer goals thing and was rather snobbish when watching Barnsley v Peterborough saying he was surprised at how the teams were playing .

Made some comment about expecting the “ball to need ice at half time “

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
I’m fairly sure that I’ve just watched the worst Derby County performance in our 139 year history.

The Warne experience is done. He probably won’t be sacked just yet, but it’s done. The tides have turned. It’s a matter of time.

I think you get a better feel for how things really stand after 10 games. First few are often a bit disjointed while new players settle in etc. You know your club far better than me but by then I reckon you should be looking a lot better placed, his track record is of success at this level so no reason to think it won't happen again.

Soz

Reaction score
Supports
PV
Frustrating evening under the lights against Stevenage who come with a plan and executed it perfectly. We should have taken a point though, schoolboy stuff conceding straight after getting a goal.

In other news, Port Vale fans have well and truly made a mountain out of a molehill but nothing new there. Let’s not forget James Wilson is the best striker in the league and Ripley the best keeper so what’s going wrong?

schoolboy stuff at fortress abbey stadium. how dare stevenage turn up and take 3 points off of the invincible moneyballers.

joe ironside is the best striker in the league and he's not even in the league any more. a famous signing that the rest of us can only aspire to make.

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
schoolboy stuff at fortress abbey stadium. how dare stevenage turn up and take 3 points off of the invincible moneyballers.

joe ironside is the best striker in the league and he's not even in the league any more. a famous signing that the rest of us can only aspire to make.
Haha proper rattled, love to see it.

You’ve got super Andy Crosby, he knows exactly what you need. Ripley at the back, Wilson in attack. Port Vale are on the way to win the league.

White horse

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Seems it was for messing around with the technology whatever that means rather than anything said to the officials.

Basically just saw a replay on the bench of the Charles incident and told the 4th official it was a wrong call.

EDIT: Sorry just seen your post above.

If they don't want managers etc watching replays then they should ban Ipads etc from the bench but that would probably upset the Premier league managers!

Apparently Evatt saw the replay of the Charles sending off where the Fleetwood goalkeeper deliberately tripped Charles up. Evatt then said I have seen it back and you have got it wrong. There was no abuse to the referee or fourth official but just by referring to the replay apparently means by the letter of the law a sending off. If he had said you have got it wrong only and not included i have seen it back he wouldn't have been sent off. Ridiculous new ruling if this is how it is to be applied.

If he is to apply the letter of the law he should have give a penalty as a trip in the area is a pen in my books as it was 10 seconds after the first coming together which he hadn't blown for. The goalkeeper knew exactly what he was doing as for me the sly glance a second or two before the trip gave the game away,

The referee clearly had an agenda against Charles after he was embarrassed last season when he sent him off instead of Kachunga and was demoted from the referee list for 2 games by the assessor. He gave him nothing and the first booking was ridiculous and why was the Fleetwood GK not booked ?

Hopefully Bodvarsson back for the Wigan game.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

The Ripper hasn't conceded in 220+ Minutes now!

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
To be fair to us, that was down to our game plan last night, they couldn't get out playing the football they wanted so ended up going side to side before lumping it aimlessly when they got frustrated at Lavery who wasn't going to win anything in the air against the Yak and Smudge. Executed that perfectly we did which was positive.

Dare I say it but Crosby actually seems fairly tactically astute so far and flexible in how we approach games which is something maybe DC struggled with at times.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
A better performance from us last night, but we are completely toothless at the moment. I don't think I've ever seen us be so dominant in a game, as we were in the second half, and not have a shot on goal in anger. It's clear what we need - a creative midfielder and someone with some pace up top. Defensively, we're sound, but it's currently taking 1 goal to beat us.

I think we'll be fine - but only if we make the right signings before the window closes.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Reading. They play nice, tippy-tappy football, but if they don't bring a scorer in, they'll be mid-table at best.

Last edited:

Moomin

Reaction score
Supports
ECFC
Probably one of our better first 45s in a while, even though we didn't score we pinned Exeter back. 2nd half fair play to Exeter changed it around and their RW was especially dangerous. Nombe is a cracking focal point forward and caused us no end of problems. Our press was very clever and give Bishop a sniff and he'll punish you. Got to say Norris had a worldie tonight and won us that game. Robertson unlucky not to bag a goal. Lad has a huge future in the game.
A fair assessment. First half you definitely did overrun us and basically camped in our half. We just couldn’t keep the ball for toffee.

As you say, second half we looked much better and the extra body in midfield really helped us. We looked dangerous from set pieces and that save by Norris was superb at the end.

Bishop took his goal really well and he’ll score loads this season. I was also really impressed with Robertson, Poole and Ogilvey too - you’ve got an excellent squad.

It was odd seeing Jack Sparkes play for another team and of course he had a hand in your goal, but good luck to him.

Need to get a result at Carlisle now and I’ll be really happy with our start.

The Evil Dead

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

Ripley is the best keeper in the league though. Don't get upset about it. Just accept it. It's Connor's world, and we just live in it!

Soz

Reaction score
Supports
PV
Haha proper rattled, love to see it.

You’ve got super Andy Crosby, he knows exactly what you need. Ripley at the back, Wilson in attack. Port Vale are on the way to win the league.

decent song to be fair, although would sound silly when we're 8-0 down at fortress abbey stadium in september. only hope for the rest of us is if chelsea throw a few hundred million at you for some players when they're bored of enzo and caicedo in midfield.

AmberAndy

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Tight game against a very organised and committed Stevenage, classic Evans ball. On that basis they should be fine, although they didn’t carry too much of a threat right up top. All the danger comes from their defenders at set pieces. We were patient after going behind and thoroughly deserved the equaliser only to chuck it away on a couple of minutes later. Very frustrating. We played some really good stuff at times, we look far stronger in midfield and defence than last season. Get a couple of the short term injuries back to give us a good bench and we will give anybody a good game, something we couldn’t say last year.Another near capacity crowd with both sides in good voice provided a good atmosphere again.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
This league is tougher than I remember. or we're just no where near as good as we were when we were last comfortable in this league. Wigan were comfortably the best we've faced of the 3 teams so far, so last night was definitely a point gained.

Anyway, 3 games in the good signs are we're not conceding a lot of goals. We've conceded 1 in each game, and at least 2 of them have been really avoidable. If we can just get some better quality into the top end of the pitch we might be ok at this level.

Long way to go yet, some encouraging signs but also some concerning signs.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
What a second half that was!

After we scored, we should have been out of sight. We missed an open goal, and had it cleared off the line twice. Then suddenly we decide to start gifting chances to Charlton, they equalise and they're absolutely all over us.

The game evolves to be end to end, probably with Charlton looking the more dangerous and we've got away with a certain red card, in my opinion as the Charlton player was through on goal, although he was being caught.

To go and grab the winner in the 98th minute is unreal.

5 points and undefeated from our opening games of Pompey, Barnsley & Charlton. Absolutely delighted with that
Amen to that. Now bring on Port Vale's fiercest rivals......

thewwfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe

Only saw the last 15 mins but we've certainly looked very disjointed in the other 2 games I've seen in full - yes we have a bunch of new players, but so did Exeter on the first day of the season and they didn't look like they'd never met one another before the game.

We were definitely well under the cosh towards the end, which is not that impressive vs 10 men.

Woody OUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford Utd
After an awful performance in our opening fixture away at Cambridge, you start to wonder if we're not the real deal; then we pull out a performance like tonight at Derby.
It wasn't just a win, the way we played was superb. Hope we can keep this going.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Notice the Ripper has now been in League One team of the week twice out of three match days now! :fish:

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
After an awful performance in our opening fixture away at Cambridge, you start to wonder if we're not the real deal; then we pull out a performance like tonight at Derby.
It wasn't just a win, the way we played was superb. Hope we can keep this going.

Your win at Derby makes me feel that bit better about Saturdays defeat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazzer
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!