Tuesday 21 Feb/ Sat 25 Feb

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
To be fair having only come up last season after finishing 5th in the league below what were your expectations? You are 12th in the league. Maybe not on the best run at the moment but surely that’s as good as could have been expected. No way you were targeting playoffs this season surely? I don’t think you’ve had a bad season at all. A good foundation for you to build on for next season.
Staying up is the aim but the current form is a disappointment and we still have work to do to ensure we don’t get dragged into the bottom 4.

We’ve made some poor decisions in January but in terms of a clear out we need that to progress in the summer if we stay up.

Some players haven’t made the step up as well as we’d hoped and we also have the injury problems so big decisions on the likes of James Wilson for instance.

codaplenty

Reaction score
Supports
Fleetwood
A Lancashire derby at the weekend with Morrecamby the visitors. As a kid these matches were the highlight of the season in the old Lancashire Combination and invariably Fleetwood got stuffed.
Bringing Marriott and Stockley in hasn't yet brought that many more goals, indeed it's our defense that has been the strongest part. A chance to put more distance between ourselves and the bottom teams and expect a home win 3-1

Floreat Salopia

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury
Wycombe at home.

I wasn’t at all confident earlier on in the week but with Ainsworth moving on after 12 years at Wycombe, I can now see us getting all 3 points here as I feel Wycombe will be knocked for six.

We haven’t played at all great in the past couple of games against Exeter and Accrington which seems to have all but ended our season. With Barnsley and Derby playing each other, it’ll be typical Salop to beat high flying Wycombe and give us hope of a play of spot again.

Salop 1-0 Wycombe

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Wycombe at home.

I wasn’t at all confident earlier on in the week but with Ainsworth moving on after 12 years at Wycombe, I can now see us getting all 3 points here as I feel Wycombe will be knocked for six.

We haven’t played at all great in the past couple of games against Exeter and Accrington which seems to have all but ended our season. With Barnsley and Derby playing each other, it’ll be typical Salop to beat high flying Wycombe and give us hope of a play of spot again.

Salop 1-0 Wycombe
I personally don't see Wycombe being badly effected by this as Bloomfield will likely just keep the status quo in terms of how they set up and play considering he was part of their squad for so long under Ainsworth. I see that one being a fairly smooth transition compared to a complete outsider coming in who may change it up.

Floreat Salopia

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury
I personally don't see Wycombe being badly effected by this as Bloomfield will likely just keep the status quo in terms of how they set up and play considering he was part of their squad for so long under Ainsworth. I see that one being a fairly smooth transition compared to a complete outsider coming in who may change it up.
I disagree with this one. I just don’t see Wycombe being the team that they were under Ainsworth. Definitely think this’ll be the end of their slim hopes of a play off place. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Wycombe struggling next season and heading back down to League 2. All about opinions though, we’ll soon find out if it’s derailed them in the coming weeks/months.

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City
They will get screwed now they can't score goals in the tenth minute of injury time

thewwfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe
Who knows about Saturday's game.

As someone has already said, Bloomfield is about as much of a continuity candidate as you could possibly get, having served under Ainsworth as a player, then in his coaching staff, plus knows all the players and their strengths and weaknesses.

As I mentioned in the promotion thread, I do see our playoff push getting derailed, but I don't think we'll suddenly flop and lose all the rest of our games or anything.

We hardly changed the squad this season but will have a lot more players out of contract come June 2023, so a rebuilding exercise will need to happen.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
They will get screwed now they can't score goals in the tenth minute of injury time
Thats assuming Bloomfield changes the way they play but I would think it will be the same as he's played and no doubt learnt under Ainsworth.

Had they gone for someone without connections maybe but I think they will still challenge.

mozzavale

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
To be fair having only come up last season after finishing 5th in the league below what were your expectations? You are 12th in the league. Maybe not on the best run at the moment but surely that’s as good as could have been expected. No way you were targeting playoffs this season surely? I don’t think you’ve had a bad season at all. A good foundation for you to build on for next season.
Agree 100%. The overreaction from some Vale fans is embarrassing.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
We're without Montsma (suspended), Walsh (groin operation yesterday) and Jackson (calf) tomorrow, which means we're down to two CB's so I can't imagine us going with three at the back and playing an LB in there. More than likely 4-2-3-1 with Mandroiu coming in like last week against Portsmouth when Jackson went off. It did leave us a little open at times without that third CB.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Pompey away tomorrow and Derby away on Tuesday.

No doubt we'll put in a decent performance, really make it tough for both teams, before losing 1-0.

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
We have lost sam winnall for the rest of the season with an injury. Surprisingly has been quite effective of late, even though he is past it. Scored a few important goals lately too. Terry Taylor is also out for the season. Need to dig deep tomorrow against Accrington who have mcconville out for his red on Wednesday.
Win this and we have a great chance of staying up.
I’d still fuck Dino off in the summer though.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
As mentioned before looking at tomorrow we are in for a beasting.

Pre New Year I would be confident of at least being competitive and having a chance, we went to Plymouth and Derby and won, Drew at tough places like Barnsley and Wycombe and were competitive at Hillsborough but we have lost our way somewhat.

The main issue tomorrow is defensively, despite being relatively comfortable the last two games at the back we have big problems there,

Firstly we only have three centre halves fit, one of which is a kid from Forest who physically isn't there yet, it also leaves us with a very short back line!

Secondly we've totally ballsed up the keeper situation and neither are in any form at all. Stone coming in and costing us midweek, in the Barnsley, Morecambe and Exeter game's he has had 5 shots to face of note and let in 4!

Thirdly the left back issue, we had four left backs at the start of the season, sent two loanees back and sold Hussey leaving only Benning, he has been awful and we've had to drop him... so now have a very inexperienced right back at left back he is wildly inconsistent (superb against Exeter, absolutely garbage at Morecambe) in Sammy Robinson, all be it he does seem to produce his best against the better sides.

With Bolton's power and physicality up the top end against our very inexperienced and physically small back line I just don't see where we keep the goals out, we'd need to repeat the 2020 game down there and score 6 again and we aren't doing that.

Bolton 5 Vale 1 forget about it and all focus on MK a week on Saturday.

Andy Proctor

Reaction score
Supports
port vale
On the ale and vale podcast there usually pretty positive with score predictions on there but one picked 6 1 another 4 1 and the final person 3 nil Bolton. I bet 2 quid on Bolton to win 6 nil got 150/1 on it but the score depends on how many shots on target Bolton have as our keepers are as bad at saving shots as I am at saving money.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
On the ale and vale podcast there usually pretty positive with score predictions on there but one picked 6 1 another 4 1 and the final person 3 nil Bolton. I bet 2 quid on Bolton to win 6 nil got 150/1 on it but the score depends on how many shots on target Bolton have as our keepers are as bad at saving shots as I am at saving money.
I'd take 3-0 or 4-1 to keep the GD from a pumping!

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Here’s hoping you are all right about it tomorrow. We have a few injury doubts but I fancy us. Having said that it wasn’t that long ago you scored 6 against us at the Toughsheet! But we have come so far since then. I just hope Santos finally puts a performance in against you as you are definitely his bogey side!

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Here’s hoping you are all right about it tomorrow. We have a few injury doubts but I fancy us. Having said that it wasn’t that long ago you scored 6 against us at the Toughsheet! But we have come so far since then. I just hope Santos finally puts a performance in against you as you are definitely his bogey side!
We've both come a long way since that day, we were in the middle of a 3 wins in 25 spell in the league below which made the result even more bonkers! Weird game that, Manny missed an open goal and your keeper (Was it Gilks?) made 2 or 3 great saves! so could easily have been 8-1 before we switched off and then you missed a couple late on which meant even at 6-3 with 5 minutes left I was still worried!

Typically the only time we've won in decades at Bolton fans were not there!

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
It's not that often I say this, but it's an absolute banker of a home win. We're not actually playing that badly in general play but we concede a lot of poor goals. We have two of the poorest keepers in the league, who don't save shots. We've got an incredibly short back line that is susceptible to crosses. Our forward line is either playing out of position, out of form or still building up fitness and our best midfielder is out injured again.

We can't keep clean sheets, except against a poor Exeter side, and we look devoid of goals. We rarely score more than 1 and I don't think we've scored 3 or more all season. Our goal difference is appalling for a mid table team.

Going to a pretty in form Bolton is like us going to the Etihad at the moment....we might as well just accept defeat and move on. Apart from that I'm pretty confident!

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Lincoln are one of the few teams we haven’t lost to yet this season, so on that basis they’ll probably beat us tomorrow.

Maybe Robson & Garrick can give us a bit of insider info on them which might help. We’ll probably sit off them and look to play on the break. Problem with our counter attacking play is that it generally ends tamely due to our forward line struggling to even control the ball never mind get a shot in.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
It's not that often I say this, but it's an absolute banker of a home win. We're not actually playing that badly in general play but we concede a lot of poor goals. We have two of the poorest keepers in the league, who don't save shots. We've got an incredibly short back line that is susceptible to crosses. Our forward line is either playing out of position, out of form or still building up fitness and our best midfielder is out injured again.

We can't keep clean sheets, except against a poor Exeter side, and we look devoid of goals. We rarely score more than 1 and I don't think we've scored 3 or more all season. Our goal difference is appalling for a mid table team.

Going to a pretty in form Bolton is like us going to the Etihad at the moment....we might as well just accept defeat and move on. Apart from that I'm pretty confident!
Yeah I mean I will be honest I really fancied us to win at Argyle that night and we did, so when all is well no reason we can't go anywhere on a given day and get something, especially being "Typical Vale" to lose at Morecambe and win at Bolton... but on this occasion just not feeling it at all!

As you say we are decent between both boxes, especially away on better pitches (although believe Bolton's is as bad as ours) but at the moment its problems in both boxes and that doesnt usually end well.

Wilson is back in full training it seems so hopefully attacking wise that improves in the weeks ahead but wont be involved tomorrow. Hopefully Ojo is back mind.

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
We've both come a long way since that day, we were in the middle of a 3 wins in 25 spell in the league below which made the result even more bonkers! Weird game that, Manny missed an open goal and your keeper (Was it Gilks?) made 2 or 3 great saves! so could easily have been 8-1 before we switched off and then you missed a couple late on which meant even at 6-3 with 5 minutes left I was still worried!

Typically the only time we've won in decades at Bolton fans were not there!
Yeah we were shocking that day. Fans were calling for Evatt to go but thankfully the board stuck to their guns and got rid of the director of football instead… and let Evatt be responsible for his own recruitment. Since then we haven’t looked back. I always think a manager has a much better chance of getting it right if he is allowed to make the final decision on players that come in and go out.

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Yeah I mean I will be honest I really fancied us to win at Argyle that night and we did, so when all is well no reason we can't go anywhere on a given day and get something, especially being "Typical Vale" to lose at Morecambe and win at Bolton... but on this occasion just not feeling it at all!

As you say we are decent between both boxes, especially away on better pitches (although believe Bolton's is as bad as ours) but at the moment its problems in both boxes and that doesnt usually end well.

Wilson is back in full training it seems so hopefully attacking wise that improves in the weeks ahead but wont be involved tomorrow. Hopefully Ojo is back mind.
The thing is we are as good as anyone between both boxes and we don’t really concede many clear cut chances at all. We press so well now and we’ve become very good at keeping the ball out of our box. A lot of opposition have to resort to long shots and set pieces.

It’s the other end that we struggled with in the first half of the season… not taking our chances. We didn’t take them against Wycombe but generally we’ve been a lot more clinical in the last month or 2.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Yeah we were shocking that day. Fans were calling for Evatt to go but thankfully the board stuck to their guns and got rid of the director of football instead… and let Evatt be responsible for his own recruitment. Since then we haven’t looked back. I always think a manager has a much better chance of getting it right if he is allowed to make the final decision on players that come in and go out.
I agree. I'm highly sceptical about our current setup, with a recruitment team in place. They did a good job in league 2, putting together a promotion winning squad from scratch, but they seem to have found it much more difficult in league 1. I think there are a number of players who have unrealistic wage expectations in this league but our director of football talks in lots of management speak riddles without seemingly doing a lot. 2 signings in 6 months doesn't require a recruitment team.

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton

What do you think your starting xi will be tomorrow then? Do you at least have some strikers fit now? I think on recent form you’d maybe rather go to the Etihad… we haven’t conceded at home for 9 games I believe now.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
The thing is we are as good as anyone between both boxes and we don’t really concede many clear cut chances at all. We press so well now and we’ve become very good at keeping the ball out of our box. A lot of opposition have to resort to long shots and set pieces.

It’s the other end that we struggled with in the first half of the season… not taking our chances. We didn’t take them against Wycombe but generally we’ve been a lot more clinical in the last month or 2.
One thing that was noticeable when we played Wednesday and Derby is how quickly they closed us down. We never seemed to have any time on the ball. We haven't got that one player with a bit of real pace or skill to negate the press. Can see us struggling tomorrow.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
What do you think your starting xi will be tomorrow then? Do you at least have some strikers fit now? I think on recent form you’d maybe rather go to the Etihad… we haven’t conceded at home for 9 games I believe now.
We've been playing Massey up front, who is really a RWB. Taylor has started the last couple and looks promising but is still finding his feet. Ellis Harrison might start alongside him tomorrow, but he's only just coming back from injury and is short on form and probably fitness. Wilson would be a game changer but seems he's been 2 weeks away from returning for about 6 weeks! Our best midfielder, Ojo, was out last game, so we'll struggle there too.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
On form happy to go anywhere, as mentioned until last weekend we were the only blot on Plymouths home record so generally fancy us more at a side doing well than say MK or Oxford who have dire home records and both beat us! If we perform we can cause anyone problems and be competitive, mostly the odd goal defeat and a “valiant loss” against the big guns but at the moment we are soft as shit, we don’t concede many chances either problem is every one we do seems to nestle in the back of our net!

Guessing our line up is impossible, DC can and often does make 4,5 or 6 changes a game.

Barring injury our back three has to be Forrester, Smith and Donnelly due to injury but pick out of a hat for the rest.

Do expect this will be our first game since New Year with two strikers starting though.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Lincoln are one of the few teams we haven’t lost to yet this season, so on that basis they’ll probably beat us tomorrow.

Maybe Robson & Garrick can give us a bit of insider info on them which might help. We’ll probably sit off them and look to play on the break. Problem with our counter attacking play is that it generally ends tamely due to our forward line struggling to even control the ball never mind get a shot in.
That's what we do, can't imagine there have been too many games this season where we've had more than 50% of the ball.

mozzavale

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I agree. I'm highly sceptical about our current setup, with a recruitment team in place. They did a good job in league 2, putting together a promotion winning squad from scratch, but they seem to have found it much more difficult in league 1. I think there are a number of players who have unrealistic wage expectations in this league but our director of football talks in lots of management speak riddles without seemingly doing a lot. 2 signings in 6 months doesn't require a recruitment team.
You might be right, but I'm a lot more positive about our recruitment team, and Flickers too for that matter. My theory is that the recruitment was so successful last season we achieved promotion 12 months ahead of schedule. As a result we have a large squad of top end L2, lower to mid table L1 standard players, all secured on 2 year deals. Knock on effect, the wage structure has been stuck as a result. The fact we're mid table and, bar the odd exception have struggled against the top 6, shows the gap we have to bridge.

In my opinion, the recruitment team have been working within a really challenging set of parameters. If I'm right, and I know others have suggested this is the case too, those parameters won't be in place at the end of the season. Contracts will be up, and a new wage structure can be implemented. Hopefully the larger clubs promoted are replaced with smaller clubs, and L1 becomes something that more resembles a normal L1 next season.

If so, job done in our 1st season back. Get to safety ASAP, use the rest of the season to learn a lot about who needs replacing in the summer, and push on from there. For me, judge the recruitment team at the end of August. If we still have no keeper, the same strikers, no height in defence, then they're a waste of money. Up to now though, I think they've smashed it.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
You might be right, but I'm a lot more positive about our recruitment team, and Flickers too for that matter. My theory is that the recruitment was so successful last season we achieved promotion 12 months ahead of schedule. As a result we have a large squad of top end L2, lower to mid table L1 standard players, all secured on 2 year deals. Knock on effect, the wage structure has been stuck as a result. The fact we're mid table and, bar the odd exception have struggled against the top 6, shows the gap we have to bridge.

In my opinion, the recruitment team have been working within a really challenging set of parameters. If I'm right, and I know others have suggested this is the case too, those parameters won't be in place at the end of the season. Contracts will be up, and a new wage structure can be implemented. Hopefully the larger clubs promoted are replaced with smaller clubs, and L1 becomes something that more resembles a normal L1 next season.

If so, job done in our 1st season back. Get to safety ASAP, use the rest of the season to learn a lot about who needs replacing in the summer, and push on from there. For me, judge the recruitment team at the end of August. If we still have no keeper, the same strikers, no height in defence, then they're a waste of money. Up to now though, I think they've smashed it.
I hope you're right. It seems like we've been blown out a few times this season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazzer

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!