Who is the biggest and does it actually mean anything?

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
You should stop reading the quotes of the day!
But the last thing 'smaller' clubs have is false pretensions. You and other 'bigger' clubs would get a lot more respect, and certainly pick up a lot more friends, if, as happens increasingly frequently when us minnows beat you, it's not always because you were shit, you had the worse officials in the universe, or we shouldn't even be on the same pitch as you it could well be because despite our lowly fan base, tin pot grounds and or our £400 a week players, it's simply because you ain't as good as you think!

Dear god, please use sentences, that's damn near unreadable.

As for the idea of it being only "big clubs" that say they lost because they were shit or had bad officials etc, it certainly isn't. It's the self-centred nature of football fans with reference to their own clubs. The clues are there in the language, it's "we lost" not "they won", "we were shit" not "they were better". Football fans tend to fail to give other clubs and their players/managers fair appraisal. If they are accusing you of paying wages beyond what they pay then take it as praise, it's the closest thing most football fans will come to saying "their players are better than ours".

As for this thread in general, it comes around most years so I guess at least now we can tick it off of the list. The general consensus always ends up being "it doesn't matter".

On the precipitating point of players moving in the same league - is it a sideways move? Frankly it's a matter of opinion. Nobody likes losing their best players to someone in the same division, either hypothetically or in reality. But moving to a club which can offer longer contracts, more wages or increased prospects to gain promotion(s) is completely valid in terms of career progression.

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Seriously though, aside from one or two individual posters, do any club's fans really give this league the full BBB treatment? I'd like to think we respectfully welcome anyone to Prenton Park... in many ways, I wish we were a bit more arrogant on and off the pitch!

It used to be bad, but since fans on here generally get way ahead of the stereotypes the posters who try to play that sort of role either get fended off or drowned out to the point they generally give up. There haven't been any real issues here with that sort of thing for a few years. You get the occasional post of "we lost to (team x) in a bloody league match?!?" "(y years) ago we were (n divisions) higher, now we've sunk to rock bottom", but really, it's been a few years since there were any clubs who went on about size and did the whole BBB thing. It peaked with Luton, but Oxford were bad for it initially too.

wilsontown

Reaction score
Supports
York City
Clearly we're absolutely massive, but equally clearly it means nowt. We're bound to get turned over by some part-time outfit at some point, that's just the nature of the division. We've already lost 6-1 at Gateshead and it's hard to think of a worse result in our history. I'll be spending most of the season bellowing "Come on York, these are shite!" with the best of them, but we've got no God-given right to beat anyone in this league and we're here because we deserve to be. Hopefully we'll deserve to be back in the league in the not too distant future.

FGRJC

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Size of the club means fuck all. Last big club to stroll through this league was Bristol rovers. Really couldn't be bothered to read the essay at the start and suggest the poster of this thread gets a Hobby, or a life.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
A little impish imp, has been winding our lads up on our little forum this week (least ways I think it was a wind up, if he wasn't he really needs to get a life) about, in this case Lincoln being a much bigger club than Dover and therefore if Miller left to join them, it would be an upward move and not a sideways one as most whites fans would argue.

Dover fans readily conceded Lincoln are a bigger team, and despite coming out with more stats than John Curtice on speed, did so before he wore out google in doing so. There counter argument, and one I fully subscribe to is, who the shit gives a toss?

It means Jack shit, what a club has done previously, what they've won who used to play for them, we are all in the National league so for fucks sake give it a rest. If Miller did move, and am not saying he will or should, it would most certainly be a sideways move as he would be travelling North simply to play for another team in the same league. Whereas if he waits to the Summer, he will almost certainly walk into the FL FOC, and for that very reason, that would be an upward move and not a sideways one.

The same sort of rhetoric is used by supporters of other teams in the league who because of some exalted self worth feel it is either beneath them or a footballing disgrace to lose, or even drop points to the Guiselys, Dovers, Braintrees and Nth Ferribys of this world. Well let me tell you gents it isn't. History counts for fuck all, and judging by the past few years neither does having more money, so give us all some peace and get over it, stop droning on about how big you are....down here you're no better than any other

You're in this league for a reason, and for most you will stay in this league for a good few years yet. "How have we lost to them" will become an ever more frequent moan, so get used to it. You may have bigger crowds, you may sell more season tickets, have bigger travelling support and a more splendid ground, but again it does not make any more than an equal member of this league, and nor, unless you win promotion, does it make you better, and if you want proof of that look at the league tables over the past few years....................you're still here with the rest of us minions.

But it doesn't stop at Lincoln, deary me no, replace them, with Wrexham,. Tranmere, (Aldershot, Torquay and now York who at least aren't quite so up their own arses in this respect) and perhaps add, depending on how you define such "we're bigger than you" nonsense FGR and even Eastleigh and that based purely on their obscene spending power who few in Div 1, if any, can match, but then worse, their supporters will tell you that they're not buying success at all, it's all commercially viable and all worked out on a prudent business plan (failing to mention it's probably one written by Phillip Green)

We may be smaller by definition, but make no mistake we are the equal of most. Newcastle is a bigger club than Burnley, Portsmouth bigger than Bournemouth, but who is in the premiership?

Not so big now then.Give us some credit, and stop with this shit of how big you are, do you never notice it's why so many neutrals take delight in your continuing demise and numerous defeats. Formally being in the FL does not mean you will be back their shortly does it, and be warned you are likely to be with us canon fodder for a good few years yet :dis:

Rant over, and back to the ironing
Sorry my internet is playing up and won't let me read that, can you type it out again please?

rudebwoyben

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
In terms of the National League I think you'll find we're the biggest and we're not even in it :woo:

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/national-league/all-time-table

But in terms of people in it it's Woking.

I'm hoping that we slide down this table in the coming years!
Why aren't all Maidstone's results from their time in the Alliance Premier League in the 80s included?
Anyway, we've won this fucker thrice so that must put us in a special exclusive category!

The_Boss

Reaction score
Supports
Macclesfield FC
Why aren't all Maidstone's results from their time in the Alliance Premier League in the 80s included?
Anyway, we've won this fucker thrice so that must put us in a special exclusive category!
Yeah but ur not here right now, so fuck off. ;)

localhero

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere
Dover fans readily conceded Lincoln are a bigger team, and despite coming out with more stats than John Curtice on speed, did so before he wore out google in doing so. There counter argument, and one I fully subscribe to is, who the shit gives a toss?

If you didn't give a toss you wouldn't have gone to the effort of typing a MASSIVE essay about it on here.

GEORGE

Bristol Rovers
Reaction score
Supports
bristol rovers
Size of the club means fuck all. Last big club to stroll through this league was Bristol rovers. Really couldn't be bothered to read the essay at the start and suggest the poster of this thread gets a Hobby, or a life.
Not sure we strolled it. In fact we were quite lucky to win in quite of the few of the games.We seemed to get a lot of last minute ( in fact extra time goals ). Probably helped by the full time training. No way we strolled it.
What we had was team spirit and momentum and the fact we knew we had to go up at the first attempt or failing that we could have gone under.
We also had all the luck going ( see our Wembley appearance versus Grimsby ) But as they say you probably make your own luck.
We were certainly not the best team but defiantly the best supported that season -- which also helps.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
People go on about history, but it's the present and future that really count.

In the present, we are a superior side to teams like Tranmere, Lincoln or Wrexham and expect to beat them, and in the future them beating us in a cup game will be considered a giant killing.

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
People go on about history, but it's the present and future that really count.

In the present, we are a superior side to teams like Tranmere, Lincoln or Wrexham and expect to beat them, and in the future them beating us in a cup game will be considered a giant killing.

Lol

Silver Stone

Reaction score
Supports
Maidstone United
We're there, under Maidstone United (old). Different rules for different phoenix clubs maybe!

Speaking of which... also won it twice.

rudebwoyben

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
We're there, under Maidstone United (old). Different rules for different phoenix clubs maybe!

Speaking of which... also won it twice.
I thought that you were a direct continuation of the old club, just as Dartford were of theirs. So you're not?

Bendubz

Reaction score
Supports
Maidstone
I thought that you were a direct continuation of the old club, just as Dartford were of theirs. So you're not?
We sort of are, when the new club popped up it was mainly the youth squad of the old team, but with new owners and initially under the name Maidstone Invicta.

Silver Stone

Reaction score
Supports
Maidstone United
We sort of are, when the new club popped up it was mainly the youth squad of the old team, but with new owners and initially under the name Maidstone Invicta.
Ben pretty much has it, we had to use the Maidstone Invicta name (since at the time we weren't allowed the United name, much like Darlington were forced to name change).

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
Seriously though, aside from one or two individual posters, do any club's fans really give this league the full BBB treatment? I'd like to think we respectfully welcome anyone to Prenton Park... in many ways, I wish we were a bit more arrogant on and off the pitch!
Fair point. I would like to think, as an away supporter, that I would be welcomed at any ground in the league. I know that football is a partisan sport and we are all biased towards our own club, I wouldn't expect or want it to be different, but what is wrong with behaving in a civil way towards opposing fans. I have visited quite a few non-league grounds over the years, some following my own team but many as a neutral, and I can't say that I have ever felt much other than welcomed by the majority. Let's face it, many clubs are just happy to have an extra click sounding out from the turnstiles, they are genuinely pleased to see you.

I'm not sure about the arrogance bit, having never considered it an attractive characteristic, but I sort of get your point. We have been guilty for far too long of playing the role of underdog, it is hard to accept when more is expected of you and you go into games with a better than average chance of victory, not that I am complaining!

dedwardp

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United
All those points per game, but still never won it. TWICE.

On a PPG basis, we are the ultimate kings of the National League. And you shouldn't need to win it twice, once is plenty ;)

B2TF

Reaction score
Supports
THE MIGHTY SHAYMEN
A little impish imp, has been winding our lads up on our little forum this week (least ways I think it was a wind up, if he wasn't he really needs to get a life) about, in this case Lincoln being a much bigger club than Dover and therefore if Miller left to join them, it would be an upward move and not a sideways one as most whites fans would argue.

It means Jack shit, what a club has done previously, what they've won who used to play for them, we are all in the National league so for fucks sake give it a rest. If Miller did move, and am not saying he will or should, it would most certainly be a sideways move as he would be travelling North simply to play for another team in the same league. Whereas if he waits to the Summer, he will almost certainly walk into the FL FOC, and for that very reason, that would be an upward move and not a sideways one.

The same sort of rhetoric is used by supporters of other teams in the league who because of some exalted self worth feel it is either beneath them or a footballing disgrace to lose, or even drop points to the Guiselys, Dovers, Braintrees and Nth Ferribys of this world. Well let me tell you gents it isn't. History counts for fuck all, and judging by the past few years neither does having more money, so give us all some peace and get over it, stop droning on about how big you are....down here you're no better than any other

You're in this league for a reason, and for most you will stay in this league for a good few years yet. "How have we lost to them" will become an ever more frequent moan, so get used to it. You may have bigger crowds, you may sell more season tickets, have bigger travelling support and a more splendid ground, but again it does not make any more than an equal member of this league, and nor, unless you win promotion, does it make you better, and if you want proof of that look at the league tables over the past few years....................you're still here with the rest of us minions.

But it doesn't stop at Lincoln, deary me no, replace them, with Wrexham,. Tranmere, (Aldershot, Torquay and now York who at least aren't quite so up their own arses in this respect) and perhaps add, depending on how you define such "we're bigger than you" nonsense FGR and even Eastleigh and that based purely on their obscene spending power who few in Div 1, if any, can match, but then worse, their supporters will tell you that they're not buying success at all, it's all commercially viable and all worked out on a prudent business plan (failing to mention it's probably one written by Phillip Green)

We may be smaller by definition, but make no mistake we are the equal of most. Newcastle is a bigger club than Burnley, Portsmouth bigger than Bournemouth, but who is in the premiership?

Not so big now then.Give us some credit, and stop with this shit of how big you are, do you never notice it's why so many neutrals take delight in your continuing demise and numerous defeats. Formally being in the FL does not mean you will be back their shortly does it, and be warned you are likely to be with us canon fodder for a good few years yet :dis:

Rant over, and back to the ironing

A question, and an argument which is only ever posed by a Mickey Mouser. :bdick:

Eastleigh Fan

Reaction score
Supports
Eastleigh
Being big is nothing but a willy wavers bragging tool.
Being Big didnt win any of the big clubs the Premier League title last season.
Being big didnt mean Man Utd/Man City/Chelsea/Arsenal had the Premier leagues top scorer last season.
Being big didnt automatically qualify Man Utd for the Champions league this year.
Being big in our league doesnt mean your ground gets sold out every game
Being big in our league doesnt mean you wont lose to smaller clubs
Being big doesnt mean you can compete with "money clubs".
Being big means fuck all when it comes down to it. Its just the big clubs fans that like to give it the we are bigger than you BS when they lose a game of football to a smaller club.
Grow up you twats.

Pogogacy

Reaction score
Supports
York City
We're not even that big for this division any more, which is thoroughly depressing. We lost any "massive tag" when we promptly became the first team to go up and then come back down in recent years.

Tranmere, Wrexham and arguably Lincoln are the only clubs in this league bigger than us. You can argue that it means nothing, which is fair, but to say that we're not even that big for this level now is plainly wrong. We're a bigger club in this league now, relatively speaking, than we were last time we were here and competing with Luton, Grimsby, Oxford etc.

Pablosammy

Soowhyarmy
Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere
Being big didnt mean Man Utd/Man City/Chelsea/Arsenal had the Premier leagues top scorer last season.
Being big didnt automatically qualify Man Utd for the Champions league this year.
Being big means fuck all when it comes down to it. Its just the big clubs fans that like to give it the we are bigger than you BS when they lose a game of football to a smaller club.
Grow up you twats.
Touchy little minnow.

TheMinsterman

Reaction score
Supports
York City & Italy
Tranmere, Wrexham and arguably Lincoln are the only clubs in this league bigger than us. You can argue that it means nothing, which is fair, but to say that we're not even that big for this level now is plainly wrong. We're a bigger club in this league now, relatively speaking, than we were last time we were here and competing with Luton, Grimsby, Oxford etc.

Currently? Sure. When we inevitably fail to go up any time soon? We'll have spent well over a decade down here cumulatively, the crowds are already dwindling, people are fed up of the stadium saga.

Harrier94

Reaction score
Supports
Kidderminster Harriers
Grow up you twats.

Spoken like the fan of a team who sit 76th in the all time Conference table.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hudders

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!