2024/25 Squads - KEEP/GET RID/BURN THEM AT THE STAKE, etc

F!RTHY

Reaction score
Supports
The Bantams
Patches? It's been the same all season.

Also a scapegoat? Seriously? Christ, you can't even criticise a striker for repeatedly missing from inside the six yard box without that ridiculous word being used.

He’s been no worse or better than any other attacking outlet we have, with the exception of Cook.

Why target our second highest goalscorer - at the very least, he’s produced the goods when others haven’t.

LS Bantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
He’s been no worse or better than any other attacking outlet we have, with the exception of Cook.

Why target our second highest goalscorer - at the very least, he’s produced the goods when others haven’t.
He has the worst conversion rate of any striker we have despite getting statistically into the best positions (WOAP stat on their podcast I believe). Also failing to mention the bulk of his goals were against the u14 sides in the paint cup and the penalty at Wrexham. But yeah, scapegoat lol.

クレイグ

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
My favourite stat is him starting games and having less of the ball than the car that carries it on.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
So pleased he’s found his feet again, easily L1 standard and I suspect he’d still be with us if it weren’t for his injury record.
Was he capable of making it through a full 90mins when he was fit for you? The Cheltenham fans told us that wasn't really a possibility, and while he has been subbed off around the 70min mark he's started paying full matches. I think he played every minute (other than being subbed off in the 89th minute of one) of four matches in the space of two weeks recently.

thewwfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe
Was he capable of making it through a full 90mins when he was fit for you? The Cheltenham fans told us that wasn't really a possibility, and while he has been subbed off around the 70min mark he's started paying full matches. I think he played every minute (other than being subbed off in the 89th minute of one) of four matches in the space of two weeks recently.

My memory’s pretty poor, but I think that yes, he did play full games.

This is an article from our local rag around the time he left us which explains about his major injuries and relapses, also has a link to an interview he did once he moved to Cheltenham.

spireite

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
My thoughts - but I don't see wholesale changes at all.

GKs:
Ryan Boot
- KEEP - solid back up and a good one to have in the dressing room. We get 7 subs in this league don't we so atleast he won't be sat in the stands

Defenders:
Jamie Grimes - KEEP - I have reservations about all of our defenders, but he's the captain.
Tyrone Williams - ON THE FENCE - we need 2 new CBs in my opinion, so again, cover at best
Brandon Horton - MOVE ON - In my opinion we need a better option at LB - at very best he is our back up.
Ryheem Sheckleford - KEEP - probably the only one of our back four I think could improve/develop

Full expect Cook to go out and sign 2 or 3 defenders, everyone knows we need to improve here. Some interesting names doing the rounds from Sam Clucas, Liam Cooper, Chey Dunkley, Kyle Mcfazden all of who would add experience to a backline that currently doesn't have much EFL experience.

Midfielders:
Tom Naylor - KEEP - will build the team around him again
Darren Oldaker - KEEP - squad player for me
Mike Jones - KEEP - won't play much as is now 38 and will be doing coaching badges and more of a player coach role I believe so not expecting too much

Thin on the ground here - we need a CDM to play alongside Naylor in my opinion.

Attacking Midfield / Wingers:
Armando Dobra - KEEP
Ryan Colclough - KEEP
Michael Jacobs - KEEP
James Berry - KEEP
Liam Mandeville - KEEP
Bailey Hobson - OFFLOAD / NL LOAN -
needs to play regularly, probably not at this level just yet

Probably our strongest areas, don't expect any more coming in for this position - though Mandy is our only proper Right Winger. If we keep hold of Dobra we have done well though, him and Colclough are class.

Strikers:
Will Grigg - KEEP
Joe Quigley - OFFLOAD -
I know we have offered him a new deal, but realistically he isn't going to cut it. Top top bloke though

We need a striker or two to cover for Grigg / give us a plan B. Billy Sharps name doing the rounds, not sure I like that, but he would score in this team as we create a lot.

Out of contract (11):
Jeff King (RB) - RELEASE -
all but gone I believe
Ash Palmer (CB) - Believe he has triggered a 1 year deal as part of promotion
Laurence Maguire (CB) - RELEASE
Bailey Clements (LB) - RELEASE
- also all but gone
Ollie Banks (CM / CAM) - Believe he has triggered a 1 year deal as part of promotion - but wants 2 years. Donny are sniffing around.
Connor Cook (?) - RELEASE - Not sure if Cook will release his own son, but we should
Harley Curtis (ST) - RELEASE - nowhere near up to it by all accounts - been onloan in NLN all season and hasnt pulled up any trees

Loan players (2):
Harry Tyrer (GK - Everton) - KEEP -
we have the option for another year as part of our promotion. Hoping we can agree too it. Just signed a new deal at Everton so clear they rate him
Miguel Freckleton (CB/LB - Sheff United) - DON’T RENEW
I'm sure 36 year old Mike Jones is upset you've added 2 years to his advancing age!
I've heard that a couple times now about Palmer triggering another year. On one hand it's a shame as I'm sure Cookie would have liked to free up the wages, but on the other I do quite like Palmer. I think he's better than Williams. I wonder if that means we will only sign the one CB now then, as carrying 5 CB's feels a lot when you've got a 22 man squad.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Proctor was good for us in league 2, I'm surprised that didn't work out. The one I'm most surprised at is Worrall. Fantastic work rate, great delivery, always gave absolutely everything for us, to the point that we would have been far better off this season if he had stayed. Probably my favourite player of the last 10/15 years. Amazing how it just doesn't work out at some clubs. I thought he was too good for league 2 to be honest.
Issue with Procs is injuries, otherwise he'd have stayed in the summer, that said even if he missed 8 months of the season this season for us he would probably still be top scoring striker!

When Woz left that hurt more than most, legend.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
I'm sure 36 year old Mike Jones is upset you've added 2 years to his advancing age!
I've heard that a couple times now about Palmer triggering another year. On one hand it's a shame as I'm sure Cookie would have liked to free up the wages, but on the other I do quite like Palmer. I think he's better than Williams. I wonder if that means we will only sign the one CB now then, as carrying 5 CB's feels a lot when you've got a 22 man squad.
Palmer is a loved at our place to for obvious reasons but he did seem to get found a bit more in League Two where the strikers are a bit more nimble. Two years on I doubt that's improved much. Don't forget NL teams can still do deals after the window, Palmer definitley played with us in L2 in 22/23 until about October November before you signed him so just because he's under contract doesn't mean a deal can't be done where 3 parties shake hands and offer a bit of leeway here and there. Two time NL winner, knows his onions at that level, just what's required in both boxes in the NL game. Someone like a York City should be all over him IMO, I'm sure you wouldn't demand a fee, they'd just have to match or get close to his wages and aren't York quite wealthy now? Palmer strikes me as someone who would much rather go and play football than sit on the bench if he was told he wasn't going to be first choice. That's what basically happened when he moved to you. We were happy to keep him as back up.

WilsdenBantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Barrow looked worse when Proctor and Worrall came on, can see why the fans don’t rate them. Helped us nicely.

spireite

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Palmer is a loved at our place to for obvious reasons but he did seem to get found a bit more in League Two where the strikers are a bit more nimble. Two years on I doubt that's improved much. Don't forget NL teams can still do deals after the window, Palmer definitley played with us in L2 in 22/23 until about October November before you signed him so just because he's under contract doesn't mean a deal can't be done where 3 parties shake hands and offer a bit of leeway here and there. Two time NL winner, knows his onions at that level, just what's required in both boxes in the NL game. Someone like a York City should be all over him IMO, I'm sure you wouldn't demand a fee, they'd just have to match or get close to his wages and aren't York quite wealthy now? Palmer strikes me as someone who would much rather go and play football than sit on the bench if he was told he wasn't going to be first choice. That's what basically happened when he moved to you. We were happy to keep him as back up.
Yea he falls into my 'bit worried about this guy' list of our defenders, which is pretty much all of them. Coming to some agreement with York would be a great solution all round I reckon, but from what I understand they have about 30 players on the books already next season. Although they are loaded so might just pay a load of them off. Owner's a nutter though. Oldham might be another option. If we can shift King, Palmer and Maguire, I bet we're creating £6k/week minimum wiggle room to bring in a couple of decent players. Reckon you might be having a bit of a clear out going into L1? Can see a few L2 clubs scrambling to pick up your release list

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
Yea he falls into my 'bit worried about this guy' list of our defenders, which is pretty much all of them. Coming to some agreement with York would be a great solution all round I reckon, but from what I understand they have about 30 players on the books already next season. Although they are loaded so might just pay a load of them off. Owner's a nutter though. Oldham might be another option. If we can shift King, Palmer and Maguire, I bet we're creating £6k/week minimum wiggle room to bring in a couple of decent players. Reckon you might be having a bit of a clear out going into L1? Can see a few L2 clubs scrambling to pick up your release list
I can't see a clear out with us. Got a feeling Croasdale and Hippolyte will be released who will be very good L2 players for somebody. Connor Lemonheigh-Evans possibly too but I reckon if he's released he'll have his moved lined up (most likely Wimbledon). Neil Byrne is a decent back up L2 centre half, has a year left, can't see a way he isn't thanked and moved on in some capacity, definitley not L1 standard for me but done a solid job when called upon in L2.

We have players like Madden and Sarcevic out of contract, who I'm sure we'll offer deals to but if someone out there with cash to burn wanted to offer them big money and long contract at their ages, you couldn't begrudge them taking it.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
I can't see a clear out with us. Got a feeling Croasdale and Hippolyte will be released who will be very good L2 players for somebody. Connor Lemonheigh-Evans possibly too but I reckon if he's released he'll have his moved lined up (most likely Wimbledon). Neil Byrne is a decent back up L2 centre half, has a year left, can't see a way he isn't thanked and moved on in some capacity, definitley not L1 standard for me but done a solid job when called upon in L2.

We have players like Madden and Sarcevic out of contract, who I'm sure we'll offer deals to but if someone out there with cash to burn wanted to offer them big money and long contract at their ages, you couldn't begrudge them taking it.

You reckon you’ll offer Cass a permanent deal? Realise I forgot about him on our one. In hindsight probably shouldn’t have sent him out on loan not that it would have saved us.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county

We're long time lemon admirers and love nothing more than an attacking midfielder we can try and play anywhere, could easily see us having another look at him.

Grimsby Road

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Any Morecambe fans on here ?

They have every player out of contract and failed to pay players this season , the guy who co-owns them folder worcester Warriors rugby club ; it must be a worry to their fans he will do the same to them.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
You reckon you’ll offer Cass a permanent deal? Realise I forgot about him on our one. In hindsight probably shouldn’t have sent him out on loan not that it would have saved us.
Almost certainly not.

We only brought him in because our two Right backs had long term injuries and he was pretty crap IMO. We ended up trying other solutions as he just wasn't working out as Right back. Luckily Knoyle got cleared from his head injury so was able to last the few games or so.

Got the build of a centre half for me, can't really judge as we never saw him there but I've not impressed with him as a general player, not very good on the ball.

I imagine you'll be releasing him too?

Y Ddraig Goch

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham AFC
Contracted
GK
Lawlor and Jones (get rid of both if possible)
Def
Sterry
Olowu
Anderson
Faulkner
Wood
McGrath
Senior
Maxwell
Mid
Bailey
Hurst
Broadbent
Westbrooke
Close
Ironside
Miller
Out of contract
Molyneux (offered)
Rowe
Taylor
Lavery
Ravenhill
Degruchy
Sotona
Goodman
Kuleya
Biggins
Biamou
Bottomley
Straughan-Brown?
Back to parent club
TLT
Craig
Adelakun
Waters
Nixon
Hopefully we can get the first 3 loans back
You can have the fourth to....Please?

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
We're long time lemon admirers and love nothing more than an attacking midfielder we can try and play anywhere, could easily see us having another look at him.
Our forum is the Lemon debate society atm. A lot really like him, not many dislike him but have reservations.

He's been very good for us since we recalled him from Wimbledon. His spell there certainly boosted his confidence. In isolation, you could see us offering him a deal but personally not sure he'd be League One standard and we'd be back to square one with him out the team, low on confidence etc. Personally I think we may offer him something but if a League 2 club offered him a good deal and said you'd be one of our main men he should go elsewhere.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Almost certainly not.

We only brought him in because our two Right backs had long term injuries and he was pretty crap IMO. We ended up trying other solutions as he just wasn't working out as Right back. Luckily Knoyle got cleared from his head injury so was able to last the few games or so.

Got the build of a centre half for me, can't really judge as we never saw him there but I've not impressed with him as a general player, not very good on the ball.

I imagine you'll be releasing him too?

I’d be surprised if we did offer anything albeit when we sent him to you Andy Crosby was the manager and he just didn’t like him. Doubt Darren Moore will offer him anything. He was mainly a RCB for us and occasionally at Wingback in his first year. I think L2 could well be his ceiling although being a North East lad wouldn’t shock me if he went back to Hartlepool where he did well.

Y Ddraig Goch

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham AFC
We could well be letting go what many would have called our best starting back three at the start of the season as they are all out of contract, and out of favour in Hayden, Tozer and Tunnicliffe.

Luke Young probably goes this time as well, and Rob Lainton.

Going to be a very sad not-retained list :(

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I’d be surprised if we did offer anything albeit when we sent him to you Andy Crosby was the manager and he just didn’t like him. Doubt Darren Moore will offer him anything. He was mainly a RCB for us and occasionally at Wingback in his first year. I think L2 could well be his ceiling although being a North East lad wouldn’t shock me if he went back to Hartlepool where he did well.
Cass was decent in L2 for us, but was RWB wasnt he largely IIRC?

THE LAST WALTZ

Reaction score
Supports
GILLINGHAM
Can't actually find a definitive list of who's in/out of contract, but of the current squad:

Goalkeepers:
Jake Turner - Signed a new deal back in the autumn, KEEP as backup
Glenn Morris - Might be time to retire, so RELEASE

Defenders
:
Max Ehmer - A regular for many years, gets a lot of stick but we do seem more solid when he's around. KEEP
Connor Masterson - League One quality defender, wouldn't be surprised if he left but I would KEEP
Shad Ogie - Physically a monster, has a load of potential but prone to a ricket. KEEP
Max Clark - Steady as they come. Unfortunate to play so little in the early stages of the season thanks to the signing of Malone. KEEP
Remeao Hutton - Only signed in January for a fee, so he's staying. KEEP
Robbie McKenzie - Probably one of our best players, but has never nailed down a position. Can play all across the defence and in midfield and for versatility alone I'd KEEP
Scott Malone - Good quality player, technical level above League Two but will be on decent wages and I don't think we need him anymore. RELEASE
Ike Orji - Youngster who hasn't pulled up any trees on loan at NLS level. Not going to get much closer to the first team next season so either RELEASE or a season loan elsewhere.

Midfielders:
Ethan Coleman - Our most consistent midfielder. KEEP
Shaun Williams - His time is up. RELEASE
Tim Dieng - Has only really started putting in the effort since the clocks changed, but has ability. KEEP for now.
Dom Jefferies - The single man with energy in the midfield, we look so static without him. Rumours suggest he's off to a higher level which I'm not sure he's actually good enough for, but I'd KEEP if possible.
Jonny Williams - The guy has talent, but 1 trophy goal all season just hasn't been good enough. Barely any assists either. Can't be a starter going forwards but I'm just on the side of KEEP
George Lapslie - Actually has had more output than Williams, but I don't rate him at all. RELEASE
Jayden Clarke - Flashes of ability, but not enough. RELEASE or season loan.
Connor Mahoney - On loan - Huddersfield contract is up, I'd have him back. Capable of some excellent finishes and on form is almost unplayable. With some reasonable assistance in the final third he could be outstanding. KEEP

'Forwards'
:
Oliver Hawkins - Offers nothing to us. RELEASE
Josh Walker - On loan from Burton, dreadful. RELEASE
Ashley Nadesan - Started like a house on fire but then looked like a competition winner from September onwards. RELEASE
Josh Andrews - Signed in January, only played a few games but looks the part for next season. KEEP
Jorge Hurtado - On loan - Not an over-exaggeration to say that if we get a full season out of him he'll be the player of the year next season. Unreal footballer, Swindon couldn't get anywhere near getting the ball off him so crocked him for the season to prevent their embarrassment. KEEP
Joe Gbode - Youngster on the fringes, which has been the case for a couple of years. Needs to progress next season but for now KEEP

If that all were to happen, our squad would look like this before additions - probably starters in bold:

Turner

Hutton / McKenzie - Masterson / Ehmer / Ogie - Clark

Coleman / Dieng / Jefferies

Mahoney
/ Williams

Andrews / Hurtado / Gbode​
Agree, in the main, regarding ability Joe but I am sick of watching players who only seem to give a shit when they are in the mood, and for that reason I would release both Dieng and Mahoney.
I also think Max should only now be used as back up.
Of our squad the only ones I would be upset at losing are Hutton, Masterton, Ogie, Coleman, J Williams and Andrews.

BarraMatt

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
Barrow looked worse when Proctor and Worrall came on, can see why the fans don’t rate them. Helped us nicely.

I can't say I'm too frustrated with Proctor as I didn't think he'd play that much, turned out about expected. I've been a bit disappointed with Worrall, thought he'd offer a lot in terms of service into the box but a lot of that may be down to the way we play. Thought we were getting the player that tore Anthony Glennon apart a couple of seasons ago.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I can't say I'm too frustrated with Proctor as I didn't think he'd play that much, turned out about expected. I've been a bit disappointed with Worrall, thought he'd offer a lot in terms of service into the box but a lot of that may be down to the way we play. Thought we were getting the player that tore Anthony Glennon apart a couple of seasons ago.
Perhaps a season too far for him? He was brilliant for us in our promotion season....play him out wide on the right and he was so dependable (see our third goal at Wembley as an example of his desire). Sad that it hasn't worked out as I thought you'd pulled off a real coup there. Like you say, it might be a system and style that just didn't suit him. Teams were often saying he was our best player.

Proctor struggled with injury at times with us, but was a really strong and powerful forward in our promotion season. He was full of confidence at one point and scored a brilliant goal or two. Again, perhaps injuries have caught up with him and he hasn't had the run of games that he perhaps needed.

Grimsby Road

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Glennon got ripped a good few times this season so not sure if he's a good benchmark . Nemane at Notts gave him a real roasting early doors this season and he was removed at half time - not sure if he ever recovered . Suspect he will be released and drop down to NL

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
Agree, in the main, regarding ability Joe but I am sick of watching players who only seem to give a shit when they are in the mood, and for that reason I would release both Dieng and Mahoney.
I also think Max should only now be used as back up.
Of our squad the only ones I would be upset at losing are Hutton, Masterton, Ogie, Coleman, J Williams and Andrews.
I agree that those two are very much 'sing when you're winning' sort of players, but I'm hopeful we'll be doing more of that next season than anything else so that's when they become a useful option.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Cass was quality for us, really surprised he hasn't become a L1 regular.

Can't see us signing him, he'd get a league club plus we're getting the familiar 'we must be patient' articles in the local rag, the same article we read every year once every manager bar none under Singh gets given his shitty budget.

We might get a couple of Harrogate cast offs if we're lucky.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Perhaps a season too far for him? He was brilliant for us in our promotion season....play him out wide on the right and he was so dependable (see our third goal at Wembley as an example of his desire). Sad that it hasn't worked out as I thought you'd pulled off a real coup there. Like you say, it might be a system and style that just didn't suit him. Teams were often saying he was our best player.

Proctor struggled with injury at times with us, but was a really strong and powerful forward in our promotion season. He was full of confidence at one point and scored a brilliant goal or two. Again, perhaps injuries have caught up with him and he hasn't had the run of games that he perhaps needed.
That’s Proctor goal v Sutton at home was unreal technically.

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
If he leaves us it will be Wimbledon. He loved his time there by all accounts and played every week.

He wouldn’t want to go and be a squad player at Notts.

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
No chance.

He’s not been making the 18 in the last month or so and that’s despite us having loads of players out injured including a RCB, RB and RWB.

THE LAST WALTZ

Reaction score
Supports
GILLINGHAM
I agree that those two are very much 'sing when you're winning' sort of players, but I'm hopeful we'll be doing more of that next season than anything else so that's when they become a useful option.
Fair enough Joe but I just think this is league 2 and we need to roll the sleeves up to get out of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tbwomble
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!