Copulate off Salford

Jabba the gut

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City FC
The fair play rules are so wonderful in the championship that you’re allowed to spend 100% of your turnover on wages alone.

That’s very levelling and very fair play obviously.
Bournemouth spent over 200% in their last Championship season. How did they get around the rules?

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
Bournemouth spent over 200% in their last Championship season. How did they get around the rules?

Sponsorship loopholes, nothing really in place to stop him sponsoring the stadium for £10m.

The Derby owner bought the stadium from the club to avoid FFP punishment, or something along those lines.

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
You have to feel for the 200-300 genuine Salford fans though who have been deprived of this upwards journey by those who seek to use their club as a vehicle for fame.
I bet they would rather go back to how it was

Jabba the gut

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City FC
They were getting gates of 200 five years ago. I wonder how many of their ‘fans’ even knew where the ground was back then. It’s all about sustainability and substance for me. If Salford’s owners decide tomorrow they don’t want to play anymore they wouldn’t see the season through. The reason my club have survived 2 admins in a decade is because there is substance there. Generations of families who are invested and who care and can drive forward movements to save something held very deeply to their hearts and their heritage. Compare that to people who started casually watching a club 5 years ago because a few celebrities put a bit of money in. The one I always go back is Rushden and Diamonds. A shallow ego trip that went bust soon after the money dried up.

A number of the 200 fans left in disgust at the hijacking of the club - abandonment of their badge, ditching the historic tangerine kit in favour of an MUFC clone (after the hypocrite Neville slagged Vincent Tan for simply changing Cardiff's shirt colour) and so on. They haven't so much grown the fanbase as replaced them with plastics.

Jabba the gut

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City FC
You have to feel for the 200-300 genuine Salford fans though who have been deprived of this upwards journey by those who seek to use their club as a vehicle for fame.
I bet they would rather go back to how it was

As I say, A number of them left.

Casey

Reaction score
Supports
Creepy
As a supporter of a club that brought Football League membership I recognize all these arguments.

It sounds as though the Salford owner could bankroll them right up the league (and it's his right to spend his money how he sees fit) but I doubt he could get to the Premier and the Championship is probably beyond them.

As a fan of the clubs that get bankrolled you can only hope that when the money goes you will be able to stay afloat at a slightly higher level than you were before and don't end up like Rushden.

I do think it is wrong to moan that one club spends loads and loads of cash while saying others can do the same as they have a bigger fan base or were in the football league in 1946. The fan base may be bigger but at other clubs the fans are richer. We all have to live with it (including ex moneybags Crawley).

Casey

PuB

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
As a supporter of a club that brought Football League membership I recognize all these arguments.

It sounds as though the Salford owner could bankroll them right up the league (and it's his right to spend his money how he sees fit) but I doubt he could get to the Premier and the Championship is probably beyond them.

As a fan of the clubs that get bankrolled you can only hope that when the money goes you will be able to stay afloat at a slightly higher level than you were before and don't end up like Rushden.

I do think it is wrong to moan that one club spends loads and loads of cash while saying others can do the same as they have a bigger fan base or were in the football league in 1946. The fan base may be bigger but at other clubs the fans are richer. We all have to live with it (including ex moneybags Crawley).

Casey

They are are an absolute different kettle of fish to you, your money was always finite. The amount these guys have to throw at having a good time is staggering.

And it’s the genuine supporters who will end up having to pick up the pieces when the rollercoaster falls of a cliff. However many few of them there are.

northstandexile

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
I suppose when they can’t redevelop their ground to the required standard for championship and PL levels they could ground share at Old Trafford.

Jabba the gut

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City FC

Casey
He's worth 2.5 billion on his own, without the Farce Of 92. They could definitely get to at least the Championship. With the adoration of the media in their favour lots of other financial opportunities will come their way.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots

Casey

While ago now but I think in Crawleys case people had more of an issue with who you employed as manager at the time rather than anything else. Once he left I don’t recall many having much of a problem with Crawley.

Can only echo what most others have said. There are some clubs from non-league who are genuinely welcome additions like Burton who’ve always done things the right way. Can’t be said for this lot though. Hopefully the bubble bursts but am under no illusion they’ll be in the Championship in about 3 or 4 years max.

Jabba the gut

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City FC

Casey

Lim is much wealthier than the like of West Ham and Burnley's owners - in fact Beckham probably isn't far off Burnley's owners

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
It will always be nothing more than an ego trip for the class of Nerdy2, some of them are failed managers - So lets go out with a bottomless pit of somebody elses money and just rise through the leagues, yay aren't we great...............

Having watched them fuck up the NL last season in terms of their finances, I've now got to see it again.

Last summer they bought virtually a whole new team and coaching staff, only 3 players survived their cull last year and I believe they were all defenders - Toure, Piergianni and Hogan.

Fleetwood and Crawley have got as far as they could with their investement - These lot will keep going until Peter Lim loses interest.

They will no doubt bring in 5-6 experienced players - All from a higher level like they did last summer, spending god knows how much in wages and blowing everyone else away in terms of trying to buy players and inflating the markets wages and transfer fees.

Also for those looking to go there next season, there is next to nothing by their ground which is a bus ride away from Manchester City centre or you can walk it - takes 45mins.

Moor Lane also has a slopy pitch and lets hope they invest in some toilets for away fans - We went there first game of the season and they provided 6 portaloos for 600 people. All that money and only 6 fucking portaloos. Wankers.

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
Also if Man Utd are at home at the same time - Their crowds drop like a stone.

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
Also if Man Utd are at home at the same time - Their crowds drop like a stone.

It was hilarious/disgusting watching their 12:30 kick off against Maidstonehead a couple of weeks ago, where the ground literally emptied in front of the cameras with 20 minutes to go so that they could all get to Old Trafford for 3 o’clock. It’s always lazy pisstaking to sing “you all support [insert name of local Premier League team]” at clubs like ours, but in The Evil’s case it is genuinely accurate.

The problems come when United aren’t at home, and they instead hang around to kick off against whoever has shown up this week. Braintree’s little band of fans took a right shoeing and there was trouble with other tinpotters like Harrogate and Hartlepool.

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
The trouble with buying a football club a d throwing money at it, Is that you need to pick a club with the potential to grow the fanbase as you go through the leagues. It'd not a case of "build it and they will come"
Its best to pick a club with historical good support and build organically
Salford never had good crowds despite the metropolitan Borough having good population. Its all united.
We have struggled to push through 3000-3500 home fans despite our moderate success.. Which proves that once a small club, always a small club.
They should have invested in Stockport, Wrexham or someone like Worcester who have traditonal good fanbases
How many they going to take to Plymouth on a Tuesday night?

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
It was hilarious/disgusting watching their 12:30 kick off against Maidstonehead a couple of weeks ago, where the ground literally emptied in front of the cameras with 20 minutes to go so that they could all get to Old Trafford for 3 o’clock. It’s always lazy pisstaking to sing “you all support [insert name of local Premier League team]” at clubs like ours, but in The Evil’s case it is genuinely accurate.

The problems come when United aren’t at home, and they instead hang around to kick off against whoever has shown up this week. Braintree’s little band of fans took a right shoeing and there was trouble with other tinpotters like Harrogate and Hartlepool.
I would not call. Hartlepool tinpotters. Well supported..and I am sure they would deal with a few dickheads outside the away end. They have a tasty element following them

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Part of the dislike it also the way they've gone way over the top, spending amounts of money they didn't need to. They should have pissed their league this season with what they spent. They could've halved their budget and had a good go but everything is completely OTT. Pond, Lloyd, Green, Gaffney, Rooney, Hogan will all be £3k-£4k/week and amongst the highest earners in the NL. In January, they paid us a six-figure sum for a 32 year old striker with 6 months left on his contract. They were that desperate for him, they offered an additional five-figure sum on top of their original offer just to get the deal done before Xmas instead of waiting another month. A month...

Lower league football, particularly the NL, is a place where supporters feel there's some connection with the club and players and they can relate. When someone comes in and throws money into a club and skews everything, there's obviously going to be a dislike and even more of a dislike when it's being skewed to the extent they have.

Don't get me wrong, they've done up the ground and presumably added other bits and pieces to it, an academy, women's team etc but I'm not sure the support will ever be there to make it sustainable (as sustainable as is, in football terms). The further they go up the leagues, the more money they're going to have to put in because the crowds and everything else aren't going to continue at the same pace.

Jabba the gut

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City FC
What is so different about a club enhancing their performance by injecting the outside agent of money completely unrelated to any ability in their chosen field, in a scenario where their rivals risk catastrophic damage by following suit and an athlete enhancing their performance by injecting the outside agent of drugs completely unrelated to any ability in their chosen field, in a scenario where his or her rivals also risk catastrophic damage by following suit?

After all, most performance-enhancing drugs, including steroids, are perfectly legal for personal use, so why shouldn't athletes take them? They're only trying to grow (quite literally) and compete with better, often more etablished athletes.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JabbaTheGut5

https://mobile.twitter.com/JabbaTheGut5/status/1127348501313130497/analytics

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
While ago now but I think in Crawleys case people had more of an issue with who you employed as manager at the time rather than anything else. Once he left I don’t recall many having much of a problem with Crawley.

Can only echo what most others have said. There are some clubs from non-league who are genuinely welcome additions like Burton who’ve always done things the right way. Can’t be said for this lot though. Hopefully the bubble bursts but am under no illusion they’ll be in the Championship in about 3 or 4 years max.

Crawley probably spent more that summer on transfer fees than Notts County did last summer.

Casey, do you have any idea what the budget was for that conference title season? It was the best team I witnessed at that level.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Sponsorship loopholes, nothing really in place to stop him sponsoring the stadium for £10m.

The Derby owner bought the stadium from the club to avoid FFP punishment, or something along those lines.

Didn’t Man City get in trouble with UEFA due to dodgey sponsorship deals, ie they were so over inflated it was ridiculously undeniable.

Not sure it’s something EFl will ever do mind.

Jabba the gut

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City FC
...We went there first game of the season and they provided 6 portaloos for 600 people. All that money and only 6 fucking portaloos. Wankers.
God knows what you'd have made of the real black-and-white stripes Forest Green before they were horrendously doped and became Ecotricity Marketing FC.

When we spent time In the Conference In the early-mid noughties we took 600 or so to their old ground which IIRC had two Portaloos next to the pitch, one of which was reserved for women - I can't remember if that was a formal restriction or simply Devonian gallantry.

Jabba the gut

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City FC
Didn’t Man City get in trouble with UEFA due to dodgey sponsorship deals, ie they were so over inflated it was ridiculously undeniable.

Not sure it’s something EFl will ever do mind.

Can't see the EFL tangling with EPL icons and a multibillionaire over 4th tier football. Far more likely to roll over and have their tummy tickled.

Jabba the gut

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City FC
The trouble with buying a football club a d throwing money at it, Is that you need to pick a club with the potential to grow the fanbase as you go through the leagues. It'd not a case of "build it and they will come"
Its best to pick a club with historical good support and build organically
Salford never had good crowds despite the metropolitan Borough having good population. Its all united.
We have struggled to push through 3000-3500 home fans despite our moderate success.. Which proves that once a small club, always a small club.
They should have invested in Stockport, Wrexham or someone like Worcester who have traditonal good fanbases
How many they going to take to Plymouth on a Tuesday night?

Yes, but a traditional club with any sort of fanbase would have kicked off if they hijacked the club's identity like they did at Salford. At least Wrexham play in Red, but I would hope a fan-owned club would stick to their guns.

Captain

Reaction score
Supports
Stevenage
I don't have an issue with Salford because I think I'd be pretty hypocritical if I did. We weren't bankrolled into the Football League at the same level as Salford or even Fleetwood or Forest Green, but we only managed it because of an individuals money and even though we're trying to be as sustainable as possible, we're probably only competing because of his money now too.

I don't get why the overspend would be any better if it were at a Wrexham, Stockport or a Bury. Surely the issue is with the spending itself rather than the actual club?? If Salford go all the way through to the Premier League they'll end up with a large support anyway, what difference does the starting support really make? Be it 200 at Salford or 4000 at Stockport or Bury, either way by the time they make the big time it'll be dwarfed anyway.

Pliny Harris

Frightened Inmate #2
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
The Provisional Brotherhood
I'd argue that Salford can't grow their fanbase too easily where they're currently situated.

Moor Lane is pretty much the north-eastern tip of Salford, which limits how many locals see themselves at in that catchment. It's situated in a ward with the highest Jewish population in the country. They don't attend in big numbers currently, which would be in everyone's interest to change, but football in England is historically as gash as it comes at bridging demographics.

The nearest pub is over a mile away. You either sup in Prestwich before the game or a good two or three miles down on the A6 or in Manchester while leaving yourself plenty of time. The location itself is off a stupidly busy road but is ultimately a quiet suburb that's sprouted a league football club somehow, surrounded by golf holes, dog walking spots and cemeteries. Parking can get interesting too.

Pliny Snr. grew up just under a mile away and hadn't heard of the place until the Shaymen visited so from being historically an honest counties side with very limited local reach to being the aloof celeb-fest it is today, it's not too rooted. As far as I'm aware Salford haven't done much by way of junior sides (etc) that could help build that presence.

You're all in for a lot of fun, but remember that without the Shaymen giving Salford a harrowing ending to a playoff semi-final at the Shay in 2017, you'd be living through this a year earlier.

Franchisor

Reaction score
Supports
Milton Keynes Dons
They'll never be as hated as us, but I am absolutely loving this thread.

Liam_SWFC

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
It's okay according to Adam Virgo because they are running the club properly because they put free coach travel on to away games, what Virgo didn't want to mention is they do this because they are desperate to get any fucker to turn up to watch them. See how many they take to Plymouth or Exeter away on a Tuesday Champions League night when Manchester United are on the tele, could be record lows.

Mark kavanagh

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere
As much as i hate them im made up for hogan and maynard, both always gave 100 per cent for tranmere

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazzer

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!