Grimsby turning on Bignot

Impish

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln
A quick look at the fishy reveals what many thought would happen (maybe not this soon you've outdone yourselves)...Town fans starting to turn on new manager Marcus Bignot. The bloke's only been in charge a couple of months and you've got fans on the fishy forum frothing at the mouth!!

Only Grimsby fans get promoted back to the football league after years of misery and expect to be turning the likes of Pompey and Donny over. A bit of perspective gents, please, it's embarassing!

Welcome to Grimsby, Marcus

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
They seemed pretty chuffed when Paul Hurst left. You'd think it was a long overdue sacking as opposed to him leaving to manage a League One club, however they looked like promotion candidates under hurst and Bignot hasn't managed to create any kind of form,

Aber gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol rovers
A quick look at the fishy reveals what many thought would happen (maybe not this soon you've outdone yourselves)...Town fans starting to turn on new manager Marcus Bignot. The bloke's only been in charge a couple of months and you've got fans on the fishy forum frothing at the mouth!!

Only Grimsby fans get promoted back to the football league after years of misery and expect to be turning the likes of Pompey and Donny over. A bit of perspective gents, please, it's embarassing!

Welcome to Grimsby, Marcus
It's good to have a bit of ambition. We went straight through league 2 last season so Grimsby are probably thinking " why not us" .
Also club forums are robably not the best place to find even tempered, well thought out and reasonable opinions on anything.

Impish

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln
The majority of them were chuffed shoddycollins, very bizarre way to thank the man that got them promoted back to the football league I know. A lot of people believe the reason he left to join a side bottom of league one with a similar budget/fanbase was because of the constant abuse he received last season when they didn't win a game. Blundell Park could be a very volatile place if the home fans weren't witnessing 3 points.

My point being it's a shame that it's looking like Bignot's tenure could be heading in the same direction. He seems a decent footballing chap and deserves time. What surprises me is it's only taken 2 months for them to start to turn on him.

I don't know what devine right Grimsby fans think they have to be winning football matches, least of all against Portsmouth and Doncaster, but it leaves a very bitter taste in the mouth the way they treat their managers.

Impish

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln
Agreed Aber gas, going straight through league 2 can be done, we've seen it many times over recent years including yourselves. But bear in mind the fans were responsible for driving Hurst out, they can't therefore be expectant of a quick transitional periord and instant success as they are the cause of said transitional periord. Managers.need.time

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
The majority of them were chuffed shoddycollins, very bizarre way to thank the man that got them promoted back to the football league I know. A lot of people believe the reason he left to join a side bottom of league one with a similar budget/fanbase was because of the constant abuse he received last season when they didn't win a game. Blundell Park could be a very volatile place if the home fans weren't witnessing 3 points.

My point being it's a shame that it's looking like Bignot's tenure could be heading in the same direction. He seems a decent footballing chap and deserves time. What surprises me is it's only taken 2 months for them to start to turn on him.
So the 'majority' were chuffed were they?
51% of our fans or more were chuffed yeah?
No, so how about stop talking crap and concentrate on enjoying being top of the National League instead of obsessing about us again

Flaxman's Alibi

Reaction score
Supports
Tubby Evans Embalming Army
It's good to have a bit of ambition. We went straight through league 2 last season so Grimsby are probably thinking " why not us" .
Also club forums are robably not the best place to find even tempered, well thought out and reasonable opinions on anything.

I completely agree with you there, my friend.

I've done a fair bit of pondering about reactions on forums and social media, and I think a large reason why forums are in decline is because they're largely populated with knee-jerk, negative attitudes. Not just the Fishy (although, after viewing it, sporadically, for years, it is definitely one of the most poisonous around), but you check any forum and certain things come to light:
1) folks don't really comment so enthusiastically about: success, good form etc - perhaps because in this day and age, it's the minimum that some people expect.
2) they are over populated with the same names, with repeated reactionary grumbles on continuous loop - all forums are a playground for whiners to get every whime off of their chest, about their failing team (which most teams in a 24 team division are). They've become like therapy centres, where members self-diagnose about that terrible habit that they have for that serious affliction.
3) forums become somewhere that pragmatic, fair-minded and patient views become devoid, because a considered opinion during a rough spell of form is looked upon with a kind of odd intolerance by the pack - so those people with that opinion decide to veer away from them. It's a bit societal really; the intolerant and easily aggravated, in society, tend to be the noisier. The pragmatists prefer to think things through and don't tend to become rabid on the internet.

I think Grimsby fans need to be a bit patient. There's no doubt that they're an excellent club, but for every Bristol Rovers, who fly through the division, after a promotion from the Conference, there are several clubs (like my own), who take a bit of time to re-establish themselves back in the FL. The jump up (despite League 2 being incredibly average this season) is a big one, and the Grimsby team that got promoted last season was one of the weaker teams to be promoted in recent years - in my opinion.
I'd suggest that they view this season as a bedding in one, and get out of the 'massive, self-righteous' opinion of themselves, which hasn't seen the likes of Pompey and Luton (bigger clubs than Mariners) march through the division either; so why would it for Grimsby Town?

dedwardp

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United
Probably worth noting that Grimsby have been winning more often than not for the past six years as a result of being in the Conference though, I imagine it is difficult to adjust to losing a few more times when you get back to the higher level when you've become accustomed to it (only imagine though, what do I know about watching a team win very often?!). There will be younger fans who only know winning etc.

Impish

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln
I'd say 70% were pleased to see Hurst go. This is an interesting theory..

"Paul's hurst master plan to finally get his own back on the fans that slated him for 6 years. Sign poor players then urine off to another team and leave the new manager with crap".

Anyway enough about Hurst, he's history now you lovely bunch saw to that.

Onto the new lamb to the slaughter, Mr Bignot. Thankfully one sensible fan could see the fickleness..

"Ultimately, we had a manager in Hurst who had a style that most people complained was too boring. Now we've got a manager who wants to play football, and people are complaining".

Here are some of the less balanced snippets from the ever knowledgeable Town faithful.

"MB has just had two weeks with the players to deliver what? MB talks a good game please let's start to see one"

"Completely and utterly clueless".

"The tactics and organisation leave a lot to be desired. Time for the board to put some money in and for Bignot to realise he's not playing champ manager. It's all well and good talking a good game, but we didn't manage a shot on target and he couldn't change that".

"Bignot talks a good game and is good for a sound bite but I'm not convinced by his tactics, team selection, ability to motivate the players or his substitutions".

"I was not joining in the love-in on his appointment. You won't find me on that thread saying that I was happy when he was appointed; I was reserving judgement. He was viewed as some God-like figure on here because he says the right things about the fans. Bignot comes across as ametuerish with his boyish enthusiasm".

"Why the fukk has Marcus deemed it necessary to come in like a bull in a china shop and smash everything up, when it seemed to be functioning ok before?"

Seeing the way Grimsby fans treat their managers makes me hope Danny Cowley knows he's got a good thing with Lincoln.

All I can say is good luck Marcus because you haven't seen nothing yet.

Clarkey_GTFC

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@daveclarkeutm
Why are you quoting the Fishy on here? Why don't you make this post on there? The posters over there are completely different to us on here. I don't think anyone on here was 'chuffed' to see Hurst go and I guarantee no one on here wants Bignot to go already.

The Fishy is notorious for being full of mongs who are never happy and it is in no a way a fair reflection of the overall mood of our fan base. Shit post.

Impish

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln
Hmmm think it's a pretty good reflection of the mood of your fanbase seeing as it's your main forum but dismiss it if you please.

The fishy may be poisonous but so is Blundell Park when Grimsby aren't winning. Not pleasent for players or managers and it's common knowledge over the years that the team prefer playing away.

Bignot will see all this if they go on a bad run. I can only liken his arrival to moving to a nice big house only to realise about the nightmare neighbours and asbestos in the attic two months down the line. :2thumb:

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
I'd say 70% were pleased to see Hurst go. This is an interesting theory..

"Paul's hurst master plan to finally get his own back on the fans that slated him for 6 years. Sign poor players then urine off to another team and leave the new manager with crap".

Anyway enough about Hurst, he's history now you lovely bunch saw to that.

Onto the new lamb to the slaughter, Mr Bignot. Thankfully one sensible fan could see the fickleness..

"Ultimately, we had a manager in Hurst who had a style that most people complained was too boring. Now we've got a manager who wants to play football, and people are complaining".

Here are some of the less balanced snippets from the ever knowledgeable Town faithful.

"MB has just had two weeks with the players to deliver what? MB talks a good game please let's start to see one"

"Completely and utterly clueless".

"The tactics and organisation leave a lot to be desired. Time for the board to put some money in and for Bignot to realise he's not playing champ manager. It's all well and good talking a good game, but we didn't manage a shot on target and he couldn't change that".

"Bignot talks a good game and is good for a sound bite but I'm not convinced by his tactics, team selection, ability to motivate the players or his substitutions".

"I was not joining in the love-in on his appointment. You won't find me on that thread saying that I was happy when he was appointed; I was reserving judgement. He was viewed as some God-like figure on here because he says the right things about the fans. Bignot comes across as ametuerish with his boyish enthusiasm".

"Why the fukk has Marcus deemed it necessary to come in like a bull in a china shop and smash everything up, when it seemed to be functioning ok before?"

Seeing the way Grimsby fans treat their managers makes me hope Danny Cowley knows he's got a good thing with Lincoln.

Hmmm think it's a pretty good reflection of the mood of your fanbase seeing as it's your main forum but dismiss it if you please.

The fishy may be poisonous but so is Blundell Park when Grimsby aren't winning. Not pleasent for players or managers and it's common knowledge over the years that the team prefer playing away.

Bignot will see all this if they go on a bad run. I can only liken his arrival to moving to a nice big house only to realise about the nightmare neighbours and asbestos in the attic two months down the line. :2thumb:

#obsessed

Bore off pal. :2thumb:

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
While you may well have a point there, it's not fair to quote what some Mariners post on their own forum. Do all of their fans frequent the Fishy and post their thoughts? The answer is No.

Same if I were to judge all the Lincoln fans on their very fair and completely neutral match reports on their official Twitter account.

Clarkey_GTFC

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@daveclarkeutm

So you're a regular at Blundell Park then? Because as far as I can tell the general atmosphere has been a graceful one, being glad that we're back in the league. Nobody likes losing which is something we've done quite often at home this season but I have yet to hear any major moans or complaints barring towards one or two players who haven't done themselves any favours.

Bignot will get the time he deserves regardless of what the vocal minority moan about. We've literally just played all of the top teams in this league at once and haven't exactly been smashed by any of them. The criticism is unjustified and unfair.

You've got a good thing going on and look likely to be joining us next season. Concentrate on your own team and stay off our dreadful message board.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Love how on the weekend that you beat one of your main promotion rivals to go top of the league, you're on here trying to wind up Grimsby fans.
#obsessed

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
as much as I'd love to get promoted this season, if this is the quality of rivalry league two can look forward to next year (assuming Lincoln get promoted and Grimsby don't) it'd be a shame to miss out.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
Love how on the weekend that you beat one of your main promotion rivals to go top of the league, you're on here trying to wind up Grimsby fans.
#obsessed

That's because he is a poster like many on the fishy, only knows how to moan, so when his side are doing well he has nothing better to do than troll. It's all they know, moam or troll.

As for Bignot he has been in charge for all of 6 games and 4 of those against the top 4, and we are a side that is expected to finish mid table so he will get plenty of time to sort things out and not be judged by losing a couple of games against the top 4. It's also not his side, it's Hursts side so lets judge him at the end of the season when he has brought a few of his own players in and if he wins a few more than he loses and keeps us mid table or better he will be judged a decent appointmemt.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
If you're gonna come on here trolling at least try and get your posts gramatically correct, you have used a double negative there so you are basically saying Marcus has indeed already seen something, it's called basic English, even a numpty like you should know that.

GodsGift

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Don't worry Impish, the Grimsby lot are still licking their wounds after losing their cup final. Oh well, what a great crowd eh?

Impish

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln
If you're gonna come on here trolling at least try and get your posts gramatically correct, you have used a double negative there so you are basically saying Marcus has indeed already seen something, it's called basic English, even a numpty like you should know that.

Those bloody double negatives, get me every time :ffs:

They've been looking forward to playing Donny for years GodsGift then they choke on their big day out...oops :lol:

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Those bloody double negatives, get me every time :ffs:

They've been looking forward to playing Donny for years GodsGift then they choke on their big day out...oops :lol:
Top banter! :lol:

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
I was hoping the Imps, together with Tranmere (or any other ex league side) go up this year, but I'm having second thoughts now. I mean here you are,feeling all bullish only because you're top of the connie for the first time ever in 7 years, after years and years of mid-table anonymity. And there's still a long way to go :ffs:

So what if they lost their game at one of L2's stronger sides who are currently unbeaten at home? They don't have quality players like Nathan 'headless chicken' delivering pinpoint crosses for sick note Adam Marriott and fatty Matty, otherwise they would've stood a chance of getting something out of the game.

Chief Rocka

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Do Lincoln still churn up that air raid siren whenever they get a corner?

PaulHaddock

people person
Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
I like most of the Lincoln lot on here, would be a shame to lose that respect because of one poster, as I don't think I've seen any animosity between the two sets of fans.

I have to back up what the others are saying and say that looking at a club's forum is the worst way of viewing a club's support. If I took a look at Vital (which I do) I'd see a small group of posters creating a thread about us every couple of weeks.

Had to laugh at the cup final comment; it's our biggest game so far this season as it was against a top 3 team with a 4000 strong backing. Lincoln can only dream of taking that many to an away game.

Finally, like Vanni says, there's a reason Rhead and Arnold are in the conference. Even our new players (who are pretty much better than last season's) are struggling.

Hooped Wizard

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers
Hey they only lost 1-0 on their cup final yesterday, against a team who has spent the majority of the last decade three leagues ahead of them.

Well done you little fishies! You go girls! :giphy:

PaulHaddock

people person
Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Hey they only lost 1-0 on their cup final yesterday, against a team who has spent the majority of the last decade three leagues ahead of them.

Well done you little fishies! You go girls! :giphy:
You're a League 2 team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tbwomble

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!