Stickied League 2 Away Support Thread 2023/24

chief

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Worst ground we've played at this season is Shrewsbury's. Completely soulless.

I almost feel bad for their supporters having to turn up there week in week out. Almost.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Salford is terrible, the away end anyway easily the worst facilities I’ve come across in recent years I reckon, obviously you got to mention the likes of Stockport/Gillingham too but atleast plenty of room behind the scaffolding for the latter but the lack of a roof is a joke. Never been to Newport or Barrow mind.

For Salford you need armbands to go for a piss, and it takes forever to get out with only one exit at one side

Edit - massive shout out to Crewe for charging £27 in that tip of a stand.

Last edited:

BarraMatt

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
There's worse grounds than Newport's at this level, and a fair few worse in non-league.

Barrow's is utter shite. Club built new stands with pillars! What's that about?

We've literally no room to do anything else so it's a case of doing what we can. This is the first time we've had some genuine off the field income for 50 years but a lot of that has been spent on just meeting the minimum requirements for the EFL as well as building a competitive enough squad to sustain ourselves at this level. The longer we stay here, naturally the more we'll have to improve the ground and facilities over time. Besides, we've had a lot moaning about how small our allocation was yet since we've extended it there's only been Morecambe and yourselves that have come anywhere near to selling it out so far, and probably only Bradford and Mansfield yet to come that will.

The other option is to build a new ground somewhere but unfortunately we don't have millions spare in the bank to do it.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
We've literally no room to do anything else so it's a case of doing what we can. This is the first time we've had some genuine off the field income for 50 years but a lot of that has been spent on just meeting the minimum requirements for the EFL as well as building a competitive enough squad to sustain ourselves at this level. The longer we stay here, naturally the more we'll have to improve the ground and facilities over time. Besides, we've had a lot moaning about how small our allocation was yet since we've extended it there's only been Morecambe and yourselves that have come anywhere near to selling it out so far, and probably only Bradford and Mansfield yet to come that will.

The other option is to build a new ground somewhere but unfortunately we don't have millions spare in the bank to do it.

We’ve got a similar (and never ending) debate over the bishop st stand, i’d rather the side he doing well, i really couldn’t give a fuck if opposition fans don’t like or take the piss, we’ve put the money in the squad - there’s not many in the league taking the piss out of that this season.

You’re doing the right thing.

chief

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham

That's all fair enough. I don't think the vast majority of clubs with shit grounds have them by choice. A shit ground is a shit ground though.

The soulless shite grounds like Shrewsbury's and Chesterfield's, however, deserve a special place in hell. At least your ground has character.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Forget the away fan rightly taking the piss, do the home fans in the West Stand like the view of the Bishop Street Stand as is? It's definitely got character and plenty of space for advertising hoardings :lol:

In terms of characterless grounds, nothing will beat Chester FC that I've visited. The likes of Northampton, Colchester, Shrewsbury are what they are when you upgrade from characterful dump to a small soulless stadium. Some better than others, and don't mind Chesterfields. Impressed by Wimbledon's although was like a library in our fixture earlier this season.

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
Forget the away fan rightly taking the piss, do the home fans in the West Stand like the view of the Bishop Street Stand as is? It's definitely got character and plenty of space for advertising hoardings :lol:

In terms of characterless grounds, nothing will beat Chester FC that I've visited. The likes of Northampton, Colchester, Shrewsbury are what they are when you upgrade from characterful dump to a small soulless stadium. Some better than others, and don't mind Chesterfields. Impressed by Wimbledon's although was like a library in our fixture earlier this season.
I agree with that, Chesterfield's isn't too bad at all. Helps that it doesn't feel like it's in the middle of nowhere with plenty of stuff around it which Colchester and Shrewsbury lack.

Crewelad87

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Salford the worst in my opinion for facilities, might not be too bad with smaller away followings but anything around 1000, the facilities just can't deal with it. We went in a heat wave last season, they ran out of bottled water and started charging for tap water, said I'd never return after that.

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
I agree with that, Chesterfield's isn't too bad at all. Helps that it doesn't feel like it's in the middle of nowhere with plenty of stuff around it which Colchester and Shrewsbury lack.

Location is very important, Chesterfield is in a good spot. These retail park ones aren't. Wycombe's at the end of that industrial estate is a shockingly bad location but the ground has character and a lovely view of woodland.

BarraMatt

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
That's all fair enough. I don't think the vast majority of clubs with shit grounds have them by choice. A shit ground is a shit ground though.

The soulless shite grounds like Shrewsbury's and Chesterfield's, however, deserve a special place in hell. At least your ground has character.

Yeah, the majority of our fanbase would agree it has major flaws but it's "our" flawed ground if that makes sense.

I can't comment on Shrewsbury's or Chesterfield's but most of these newish grounds all seem to be built from the same blueprint nowadays.

Rochdale's ground is one of the best I've been to since we've been up here.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town

There’s loads of them, all look the same, out of town, bland no atmosphere, colchester,

Always needed doing up but there was never the need, until recently.

It doesn’t bother me in the slightest, more bothered about what we do on the pitch. I’m also very pleased we’ve a “decent” sized stand which kicks out some real noise than have one of these idenikit stadiums with no decent stands which all look the same.

Quite a clever idea to have advertising on it, least make sure of it rather than oxford or morecambe

chief

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Yeah, the majority of our fanbase would agree it has major flaws but it's "our" flawed ground if that makes sense.

I can't comment on Shrewsbury's or Chesterfield's but most of these newish grounds all seem to be built from the same blueprint nowadays.

100%. I don't mean this harshly but I'd hope you could stay there. Even when numbers have been smaller, you can feel there's a lot of pride in the club and there's been an element of atmosphere. I feel you'd lose that if you ever moved out.

Makes me feel so happy we never lost the Racecourse.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__

Makes complete sense to most on here, although Field Mill was redeveloped on the cheap and obviously needs work now crowds have increased I would never want to move, plus it’s the worlds oldest professional football stadium so that’s worth keeping I suppose!

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
There’s loads of them, all look the same, out of town, bland no atmosphere, colchester,

It doesn’t bother me in the slightest, more bothered about what we do on the pitch. I’m also very pleased we’ve a “decent” sized stand which kicks out some real noise than have one of these idenikit stadiums with no decent stands which all look the same.

Quite a clever idea to have advertising on it, least make sure of it rather than oxford or morecambe

Of course what happens on the pitch is more important but as we all know that is in flux with good times and bad enjoyed and endured by all.

Agree it was fine for the seasons where your attendances were poor and Mansfield weren't getting close to filling out their two home stands it didn't really matter but since the pandemic that's not the case. Something needs doing surely? Better to do it when doing well than when not?

It's an eyesore. Advertising hoardings are better than the back of terraced housing, but it's only one notch up. Imagine a covered terrace there in full voice singing Yeeeeellllloooowwwsss to add to that atmosphere.

Everything this is better than an out of town characters soulless Identikit modern(ish) stadium

Posh Harry

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
I’ll take all of the non league grounds and I’ll raise you Bloomfield Road before it was redeveloped, worst than anything I ever saw in non league. Like a giant toilet.
Yes, those concrete steps and barbed wire certainly made an interesting first weekend away with my new girlfriend.

I followed it up by a couple of nights in Bolton. I am a bloody charmer and she is a lucky lady, and I’ve been married to her for nearly 20 years now!!

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Yes, those concrete steps and barbed wire certainly made an interesting first weekend away with my new girlfriend.

I followed it up by a couple of nights in Bolton. I am a bloody charmer and she is a lucky lady, and I’ve been married to her for nearly 20 years now!!
97/98 2-2 draw?
That was when I went and we got stuck in traffic and didn’t get there until just before half time, then walking down that dingy alleyway that stunk of piss that leads to the away end there comes a massive cheer from the ground just as Blackpool score. :lol:

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__

I love the look of our old grandstand with the terracing and seating above it, plus the old north stand!

I think even this modern day Field Mill will look really good with the Bish sorted.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Of course what happens on the pitch is more important but as we all know that is in flux with good times and bad enjoyed and endured by all.

Agree it was fine for the seasons where your attendances were poor and Mansfield weren't getting close to filling out their two home stands it didn't really matter but since the pandemic that's not the case. Something needs doing surely? Better to do it when doing well than when not?

It's an eyesore. Advertising hoardings are better than the back of terraced housing, but it's only one notch up. Imagine a covered terrace there in full voice singing Yeeeeellllloooowwwsss to add to that atmosphere.

Everything this is better than an out of town characters soulless Identikit modern(ish) stadium

Again, no-one here really is bothered if it’s an eyesore, it tends to upset away fans more which is a bonus.

There certainly has been an upturn of in the interest from away fans of the bishop st stand to fortunes though - better for them to talk about that than being worse on the pitch :lol:

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
I wasn't talking about the handful of Stags fans on here, of course they aren't bothered. I was thinking more Stagsnet where the views are far more varied on this subject.

It's been pointed and laughed at Nelson Muntz style ever since it was condemned way back when.

I would have thought it must be a little depressing for some of the supporters in your big stand looking at a derelict stand with no fans in it especially when things aren't great on the pitch.

I'm sure Mr Radford isn't as shortsighted or naive as some of the fanbase just concentrating on this season on the pitch.

Especially when it's the YOTS and promotion is very much on the cards you don't want to be turning away good money at the turnstiles in L1 next season. Even a shallow uncovered terrace would be a huge improvement. One with a little roof would be excellent.:2thumb:

Last edited:

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
I wasn't talking about the handful of Stags fans on here, of course they aren't bothered. I was thinking more Stagsnet where the views are far more varied on this subject.

It's been pointed and laughed at Nelson Muntz style ever since it was condemned way back when.

I would have thought it must be a little depressing for some of the supporters in your big stand looking at a derelict stand with no fans in it especially when things aren't great on the pitch.

I'm sure Mr Radford isn't as shortsighted or naive as some of the fanbase just concentrating on this season on the pitch.

Especially when it's the YOTS and promotion is very much on the cards you don't want to be turning away good money at the turnstiles in L1 next season. Even a shallow uncovered terrace would be a huge improvement. One with a little roof would be excellent.:2thumb:

Oh there’s some that don’t like it, but many more would prefer success on the pitch first and then redevelop if we were fortunate enough to be in league 1 next season when the need would be there, especially from away fans too.

The vast majority of the fan base is smart enough to know that the income from the advertising outweighs it looking shoddy and are happy to overlook (literally!) it.

As you point out though, a small stand (like the one luton did up in the summer) holding 1500 or so would be the way forward and wouldn’t be far off what we’re apparently looking into.

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
I’ll take all of the non league grounds and I’ll raise you Bloomfield Road before it was redeveloped, worst than anything I ever saw in non league. Like a giant toilet.

I take your Bloomfield road and raise you Booth ferry Park - Part of it was a supermarket!

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
I take your Bloomfield road and raise you Booth ferry Park - Part of it was a supermarket!

Let's get serious fellas here if we are going old school dumps. I'm going all in with Saltergate , that away end with the toilet in the middle of it with no roof!

Posh Harry

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
97/98 2-2 draw?
That was when I went and we got stuck in traffic and didn’t get there until just before half time, then walking down that dingy alleyway that stunk of piss that leads to the away end there comes a massive cheer from the ground just as Blackpool score. :lol:
That’s the one.

Nothing like a dodgy alleyway and the smell of piss to make you realise it’s football time. Ah, the good old days!!

Gunit

Reaction score
Supports
Sutton
Think it was 40 for us tonight and fair play to them.

Reginald Fodstain

Not Scouse
Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Let's get serious fellas here if we are going old school dumps. I'm going all in with Saltergate , that away end with the toilet in the middle of it with no roof!
Bootham Crescent. I lived in York for a few years, the home terrace was a great stand to be in. Although less said the better about the uncovered away end with equally infamous toilet (a brick wall, also without roof).

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Some Bradford fans reckon only 7-9k in the ground last night, surely not that low (for Bradford)?

LS Bantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
I was watching at home (all be it I couldn’t go) but the pictures look really sparse, the club will blame the weather but the stay aways just show the level of toxicity between supporters and those ‘running’ the club. Season tickets are going to fall off a cliff until something changes but given how unlikely that is things are only going one way. They failed to announce the attendance last night btw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!