League 2 Relegation Thread 2018/2019

PuB

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
Ways around it, Mansfield spend big on 4000 crowds, as have Bury for example and Fleetwood in the past on less than that, I believe its not purely on gates but income so for example you could own the club and have your business sponsor it and invest it as income that way maybe?

Absolutely, you can sponsor the chairman’s checkbook every season and (as long as it’s not a loan) you’ll be fine. It counts as turnover.

RLC

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
I think the quality of the owner is the most important factor for ex-league clubs in the National League. We have a chairman who is financially savvy and found a thousand and one ways to bring extra revenue into the club when we lost Football League monies, which ensured we had competitive budgets and could compete for promotion every season while (just about) staying on an even keel financially.

That is where I would fear for a club like Notts County, who seem to have been spectacularly badly run in the last couple of years and wasted a lot of money. You can't afford to do that in the NL, when the League funds dry up and you are competing with bankrolled clubs like Salford.

Our latest accounts reveal that if we had not been promoted last season, we would probably have become another Wrexham.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Ways around it, Mansfield spend big on 4000 crowds, as have Bury for example and Fleetwood in the past on less than that, I believe its not purely on gates but income so for example you could own the club and have your business sponsor it and invest it as income that way maybe?

Our crowds are actually closer to 5k if you are going to generalise but I get ya point.

We are funded via our owners company from sponsorship I imagine, which is a good way to do it because you are not burdening the club with debt.

northstandexile

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
The Radfords also converted £1M of loans into shares, so that the £1.5 budget could become £2.5m.

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Curzon Ashton....and Carlisle
we are weeks off the 20 year anniversary of the Jimmy Glass goal, the most dramatic end Div 4, 3 or L2 ever had.

although with Yeovil on 37, Notts on 37 and Macc on 36 may we get a nicely timed dramatic go to the very end moment this season.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Our crowds are actually closer to 5k if you are going to generalise but I get ya point.

We are funded via our owners company from sponsorship I imagine, which is a good way to do it because you are not burdening the club with debt.

Not only that but the club are making a lot more money off the pitch than it ever has, even without season ticket sales, the money from food drink, sponsorship, advertising and events has improved once again.

One area we do miss out on, especially if we’re fortunate enough to go up is our relatively small away end, look at Rochdale being able to accommodate 4000 Sunderland fans for instance

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
That is a very good point re the ability to accommodate large away followings. I presume there is nothing you can do about it.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Not only that but the club are making a lot more money off the pitch than it ever has, even without season ticket sales, the money from food drink, sponsorship, advertising and events has improved once again.

One area we do miss out on, especially if we’re fortunate enough to go up is our relatively small away end, look at Rochdale being able to accommodate 4000 Sunderland fans for instance

1800 is adequate for L1 possibly 2-3 times you’d have it sell out, assuming one of Sunderland or Barnsley go up and you get that in L2 I guess with Notts and Lincoln.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
I think the quality of the owner is the most important factor for ex-league clubs in the National League. We have a chairman who is financially savvy and found a thousand and one ways to bring extra revenue into the club when we lost Football League monies, which ensured we had competitive budgets and could compete for promotion every season while (just about) staying on an even keel financially.

That is where I would fear for a club like Notts County, who seem to have been spectacularly badly run in the last couple of years and wasted a lot of money. You can't afford to do that in the NL, when the League funds dry up and you are competing with bankrolled clubs like Salford.

Our latest accounts reveal that if we had not been promoted last season, we would probably have become another Wrexham.

I wouldn't call losing £2.3m being financially savvy, but I get your point about what would happen if not being promoted after losing that amount.

Spanishstag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield town
That is a very good point re the ability to accommodate large away followings. I presume there is nothing you can do about it.[/QUOTE
Suppose it all depends on when the bishop street stand is developed ,its been mentioned by the radfords so it will happen ,just when

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
That is a very good point re the ability to accommodate large away followings. I presume there is nothing you can do about it.

It’s why redeveloping the Bishop street stand should take priority over the hotel, it will be a long term thing to recoup but it could have the potential to be segregated so on some *rare occasions when needed to accommodate extra fans.

Plus it will no longer be a eyesore, plans are for a terrace I believe, our away end is closer to 2000 but SAG limit it to 1600ish.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
The key is getting a manager in knows very well and/or has already had success at NL level (preferably success) - Cox (Mansfield), Cowley (Lincoln) , Still (Luton), Wilder (Oxford), Evans (Crawley), Clarke (Bristol Rovers), Johnson (Cheltenham). The list goes on.

Look at this season in the NL. Alexander is an anomaly for obvious reasons at Salford but Edinburgh (Orient) is another one.

Wooderson

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County

Hard for us to say as we don’t know who our new owner is yet.

If we go down we’d have a huge income drop from away attendences, with over 4,000 from Mansfield and Lincoln this season, plus 1400 from Vale, think Tranny brought about 1,000 too and I dare say we’ll get 1,000+ from Grimsby as well. At £22 for an adult ticket that’s a fair amount of cash. I doubt we’d get 4,000 in total in the conference!

darren gregory

Reaction score
Supports
port vale
we are weeks off the 20 year anniversary of the Jimmy Glass goal, the most dramatic end Div 4, 3 or L2 ever had.

although with Yeovil on 37, Notts on 37 and Macc on 36 may we get a nicely timed dramatic go to the very end moment this season.
Jesus I feel old. 20 years is staggering, if asked I'd maybe of guessed at 8 to 10.

Wasn't there another mental escape at Torquay when someone got bitten by a dog and there was loads of injury time or have I gone more senile than I thought

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC

Probably best to concentrate on getting that 4th built before increasing the away end size.

Ever since Meadow Lane was rebuilt in early 90s, we’ve benefited hugely from an large away stand/section. Seen it full whether it be the Kop of Jimmy Sirrel stand dozens of times

Railway Blue

Reaction score
Supports
Chester FC
Impossible to tell. We don’t even know who the owner is going to be in a few weeks’ time.

The clubs around a similar size to us who’ve gone down all seem to come back relatively quickly (Oxford, Brovers, Tranmere and possibly now Orient), but with the obvious exception of Luton. But that’s no guarantee.
I thought Tranmere were down for 3 seasons.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
Jesus I feel old. 20 years is staggering, if asked I'd maybe of guessed at 8 to 10.

Wasn't there another mental escape at Torquay when someone got bitten by a dog and there was loads of injury time or have I gone more senile than I thought

Torquay were 2-0 down to us and then the police dog bit their full back. Was recently on a documentary on Netflix adequately titled "Losers". They drew 2-2 in the last minute but the equaliser for Torquay was an absolute gift by one of our lads.

Guess the piss up down there was far better than Lincoln, who dropped at Torquay's expense. However, Burnley could've dropped that day and it makes you wonder what would've happened to them had they been the ones to drop to the Conference instead of Lincoln...

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
Burnley would of bounced back

The thing is though, Burnley were getting around 2000-3000 at home that season, and in 1988 would make Wembley in the Sherpa Van Trophy final. A match which re-galvanised the support of a club in terminal decline and helped bring their attendances back to a very healthy level.

Without them winning that game against Orient, they could've genuinely gone bust such was the state of their decline, and even if they did bounce back, I doubt they'd ever have made the Premier League again.

Spanishstag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield town
Probably best to concentrate on getting that 4th built before increasing the away end size.

Ever since Meadow Lane was rebuilt in early 90s, we’ve benefited hugely from an large away stand/section. Seen it full whether it be the Kop of Jimmy Sirrel stand dozens of times
Not next season though

Casey

Reaction score
Supports
Creepy
I'm resigned to relegation now. For the third season in a row our end of season form is absolutely terrible. If you add up the points from the last ten games of the previous two seasons we probably earned four or five a season. We are doing it again this year.

I think it may be Macc who go down with us as Notts. and Yeovil getting three points from us will make a difference.

There is talk that Hong Kong Paul may make another investment in us but I doubt it will happen. If it doesn't we will not be back for an age, if ever. I would expect Erin to get shot of us pretty quickly, taking a loss on his investment as there is no point in having us if we are not in the league (no bragging rights) and there is not a gaggle of fairy godmothers looking to lose money with us. We will be back to struggling to stay in the national League. I suppose that's about our level.

I'll still be there but I wonder how many others will be? Roughly 1800 home fans for the average league game. I'd expect that to drop by at least 500, possibly more.

Casey

Buxton Vale

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Twitter
@Buxtonvale1
I'm resigned to relegation now. For the third season in a row our end of season form is absolutely terrible. If you add up the points from the last ten games of the previous two seasons we probably earned four or five a season. We are doing it again this year.

I think it may be Macc who go down with us as Notts. and Yeovil getting three points from us will make a difference.

There is talk that Hong Kong Paul may make another investment in us but I doubt it will happen. If it doesn't we will not be back for an age, if ever. I would expect Erin to get shot of us pretty quickly, taking a loss on his investment as there is no point in having us if we are not in the league (no bragging rights) and there is not a gaggle of fairy godmothers looking to lose money with us. We will be back to struggling to stay in the national League. I suppose that's about our level.

I'll still be there but I wonder how many others will be? Roughly 1800 home fans for the average league game. I'd expect that to drop by at least 500, possibly more.

Casey
Im not convinced. You probably need one win and you'll be safe. I would be very surprised if you dropped.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Im not convinced. You probably need one win and you'll be safe. I would be very surprised if you dropped.

Look at the bookies and that usually gives a clue. 10/1 for Crawley means they are not convinced and that’s the lowest odds.

They are still convinced it will be two from three at this stage and Crawley might have enough points regardless as still six clear. Bottom three are averaging less than a point a game so need to improve that to catch the Red Devil’s.

Yeovil have a mega tough run, point this weekend and Crawley will be safe.

LongEatonPie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County, Long Eaton United

Casey

Stranger things have happened but with only 5 games to go I can't see you being dragged in unless you lose the next 2 and 2 of Yeovil/Notts/Macc win both.

leaguetableapril8th.png

This is how I have it ending up but since Notts drew with Northampton it now goes down to the last day with Notts picking up a point at Swindon.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
Genuinely think we'll lose to both Notts and Yeovil with us A. having nothing to play for and B. An absolute tendency to fail to beat both these two sides no matter how bad they are (and usually they're below us in the league which is quite something!).

1 win in our last 9 vs Yeovil and 1 win in our last 15 vs Notts.

I'd genuinely worry if I was a Crawley fan, I've stuck a tenner on them to drop at 10/1.

Back in the DHSS

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Torquay were 2-0 down to us and then the police dog bit their full back. Was recently on a documentary on Netflix adequately titled "Losers". They drew 2-2 in the last minute but the equaliser for Torquay was an absolute gift by one of our lads.

Guess the piss up down there was far better than Lincoln, who dropped at Torquay's expense. However, Burnley could've dropped that day and it makes you wonder what would've happened to them had they been the ones to drop to the Conference instead of Lincoln...

I remember going to Burnley that season with the Rovers and there was less than 2500 inside Turf Moor. Don’t remember the game much, all I can remember is the Burnley Suicide Squad running down the hill near Burnley railway shouting sue sue suicide and then running away when they got fronted.
Don’t think Lincoln had been in the bottom 4 all season until the final fixture, Tranmere beat Exeter and everyone else got points to send Lincoln down.

The good old bad days!

Agombar stool

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
Stranger things have happened but with only 5 games to go I can't see you being dragged in unless you lose the next 2 and 2 of Yeovil/Notts/Macc win both.

View attachment 10705

This is how I have it ending up but since Notts drew with Northampton it now goes down to the last day with Notts picking up a point at Swindon.

You'll beat us on the last day. Which in fact potentially opens up an interesting discussion around teams that have nothing to play for.

If, as I suspect, we'll have nothing to play for and Notts require points to stay up, will Wellens want to give some of our fringe players game time? We signed a couple of younger players on Transfer deadline day with an eye on the future and the last few games of the season would be ideal to blood them.

However, this is at the detriment of the other teams battling with Notts to stay up and they will cry blue murder if we were to play a scratch side.

My thoughts are that we should be able to play whatever team we want, regardless of the opposition. If other teams haven't amassed enough points in the season then that's their fault, not ours.

Wooderson

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
You'll beat us on the last day. Which in fact potentially opens up an interesting discussion around teams that have nothing to play for.

If, as I suspect, we'll have nothing to play for and Notts require points to stay up, will Wellens want to give some of our fringe players game time? We signed a couple of younger players on Transfer deadline day with an eye on the future and the last few games of the season would be ideal to blood them.

However, this is at the detriment of the other teams battling with Notts to stay up and they will cry blue murder if we were to play a scratch side.

My thoughts are that we should be able to play whatever team we want, regardless of the opposition. If other teams haven't amassed enough points in the season then that's their fault, not ours.

Well I agree with that. In the last few years we’ve twice played teams away on the final day needing something to stay up, while they both had nothing to play for. Think both played pretty much full strength teams, and both had a good go; firstly Oldham five years ago were 1-0 until we equalised from the spot with about 15 to play and ended up surviving. Then a year later Gillingham came from 1-0 down on 88 to win 3-1 and send us down to L2. I could do without the stress of another tbh!

I seem to remember Barnet fans being unhappy with Cov’s effort v Morecambe on the final day last season for some reason?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hudders
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!