Promotion thread

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Personally I’m not feeling it. Us and Mansfield going up and forming a midlands division with Derby, Burton and Shrewsbury sounds much better imho.

Anyway last night, no harm done to our playoff hopes. Not exactly enhanced them much either but a reasonable point that will become a very good one if we do the business against Sutton on Saturday.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
After Monday's win I'd say we probably need 2 maybe 3 wins from our last 9 to seal top 3. Given we've got Scunthorpe at home next I reckon we can be fairly confident of getting 1 of them there. Also still got Oldham (h), Barrow (a) and Harrogate (h) to come as well, which look fairly winnable on paper.

Trapdoor

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter
It's inconceivable that FGR dont go up this season. The only question is will you win the league?

Trapdoor

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter

1648031688974.png

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Rochdale were unbeaten in 11 or something at home so a better result than the table suggests.

They were a very poor outfit.

They’ve got bigger things going on with a hostile takeover behind the scenes, but they weren’t clever at all.

We’ve got to improve to have any form of chance.

Super_horns

Reaction score
Supports
WATFORD
Exeter fan on the other forum thinks a win on Saturday and due to their run in they will be promoted..

“I'd say if we beat Stevenage on Saturday we're almost guaranteed an autos spot, the calcs show 79 is likely to be enough, 80 almost guaranteed autos. If we win on Saturday we'll be on 68 with 8 games left. With home games against Colchester (20th), Rochdale (19th), Barrow (21st) left. Getting 11 points from our remaining 8 should be relatively easy, even with a depleted squad”

Fans on here as confident?

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Exeter fan on the other forum thinks a win on Saturday and due to their run in they will be promoted..

“I'd say if we beat Stevenage on Saturday we're almost guaranteed an autos spot, the calcs show 79 is likely to be enough, 80 almost guaranteed autos. If we win on Saturday we'll be on 68 with 8 games left. With home games against Colchester (20th), Rochdale (19th), Barrow (21st) left. Getting 11 points from our remaining 8 should be relatively easy, even with a depleted squad”

Given their extensive history of cocking things up with respect i’d be a little more restrained. A side loses a key player, gets a poor decision etc and things can change very quickly.

It’s easy for the younger/more simple to get giddy and post nonsense though - and that applies to fans of all clubs.

Last edited:

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports

I think they should get autos probably second place. Defensively they are solid as we saw last night but can see they are more of an attacking threat than similar defensive teams like say Northampton or Tranmere.

It is a dangerous game assuming those ones against the strugglers are just gimmes though. At this point of the season they will be desperate to scratch and claw anything they can out of games so that makes them awkward opposition in their own right.

The Jovial Forester

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
Given recent form obviously well capable of cocking it up but the GD is a massive bonus too, still favourites for the title by a fair way, only need to pick up just the slightest to limp over the line.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I think they should get autos probably second place. Defensively they are solid as we saw last night but can see they are more of an attacking threat than similar defensive teams like say Northampton or Tranmere.

It is a dangerous game assuming those ones against the strugglers are just gimmes though. At this point of the season they will be desperate to scratch and claw anything they can out of games so that makes them awkward opposition in their own right.
You get some freaky results at this time of season as well, look at Southend Walloping FGR away last season, teams down the bottom who are desperate and pressure etc.

Exeter will be favourites but as anyone who knows anything about League Two can testify its never that simple.

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City

Ask me if we beat Stevenage.

Moomin

Reaction score
Supports
ECFC
I’m not going to be confident until we’re at least 6 points clear of 4th, which will probably not happen. I can see it going down to the final two games.

We do indeed have a history of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, but this squad feels different to previous years. Our defence is far far better than previous years and that shows in a lot of our results. Last season we’d have lost at Vale 1-0 but we looked solid last night.

Long way to go. Steve Evans will probably have Stevenage working really hard and they won’t be easy opposition on Saturday.

Trapdoor

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter

That guy is Devon_Lad on here. A real character... Not all of us City fans share his "confidence".

GEORGE

Bristol Rovers
Reaction score
Supports
bristol rovers
Talking about the teams in the promotion race. Which are the ones if they go up will be able to stay up ? . We were in the Third last season and in my opinion there is a significant difference in class between the 2 divisions. I think whoever goes up will need quite an overhaul to their squads plus the higher wages . Thus which clubs will be able to afford and which ones won't ?

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Talking about the teams in the promotion race. Which are the ones if they go up will be able to stay up ? . We were in the Third last season and in my opinion there is a significant difference in class between the 2 divisions. I think whoever goes up will need quite an overhaul to their squads plus the higher wages . Thus which clubs will be able to afford and which ones won't ?

Out of those who went up the only ones who look like going down potentially is morecambe, and with respect that they got to league 1 in the first place is a minor miracle. the rest are doing just fine.

If a cambridge or cheltenham can do it, it’s reasonable to assume anyone within a shout of going up would do the same.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Out of those who went up the only ones who look like going down potentially is morecambe, and with respect that they got to league 1 in the first place is a minor miracle. the rest are doing just fine.

If a cambridge or cheltenham can do it, it’s reasonable to assume anyone within a shout of going up would do the same.
Yeah first season you get momentum usually as well, look at Sutton for example this season. Next season may be much harder.

We went up in third and finished 9th in our first season back which in the four seasons up there was the highest we managed.

Obviously Vale, Mansfield, Bristol Rovers and possibly FGR would be able to invest currently, Exeter always have decent kids. Tranmere possibly in the bracket as the bigger clubs. Swindon seem stable now also.

Newport and Sutton would probably find it hardest.

You also have to consider a tiny club like Accrington have comfortably stayed up for a few seasons now.

Having seen us play 5 Legaue One outfits this season the quality doesn’t look that great either. Have to be careful judging cup games but we battered Stanley 5-1, an injury ravaged Vale beat Burton away 2-1 fairly comfortably and our second string took a strong Rotherham side to penalties after missing a hatful of chances. Nothing overly to fear if you look beyond the “big” names.

Last edited:

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
They were a very poor outfit.

They’ve got bigger things going on with a hostile takeover behind the scenes, but they weren’t clever at all.

We’ve got to improve to have any form of chance.

Yeah they offered very little, but yesterday was important just to win.

Actually think Clough is making a mistake not playing Maris and continuing to play Murphy, who funnily enough looks dangerous when he’s got the ball and he’s clearly a quality player but he’s not got any end product at the minute.

Clough needs to focus on getting our strongest department (midfield) working and Maris is integral to that for me.

Kauto Star

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Forest Green should be relegated out of the EFL, nevermind promoted, after their bonkers owner Dale Vince has admitted funding the 'Just Stop Oil protests, including the idiots who tied themselves to goalposts.

He admits he has no regrets in doing so, as long as nobody is hurt. It's a shame the tool who tied himself to the goalposts by his neck didn't hurt himself

Devon_Lad

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City / Rangers
Twitter
@MoggMentum
Forest Green should be relegated out of the EFL, nevermind promoted, after their bonkers owner Dale Vince has admitted funding the 'Just Stop Oil protests, including the idiots who tied themselves to goalposts.

He admits he has no regrets in doing so, as long as nobody is hurt. It's a shame the tool who tied himself to the goalposts by his neck didn't hurt himself
FGR should be in the national league South if they didn't cheat their way into staying up when they finished in the relegation zone. Shite club

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

The way them bolt cutters where used I wouldn’t fancy that an inch from my jugular to be honest!

County1

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County
Yeah first season you get momentum usually as well, look at Sutton for example this season. Next season may be much harder.

We went up in third and finished 9th in our first season back which in the four seasons up there was the highest we managed.

Obviously Vale, Mansfield, Bristol Rovers and possibly FGR would be able to invest currently, Exeter always have decent kids. Tranmere possibly in the bracket as the bigger clubs. Swindon seem stable now also.

Newport and Sutton would probably find it hardest.

You also have to consider a tiny club like Accrington have comfortably stayed up for a few seasons now.

Having seen us play 5 Legaue One outfits this season the quality doesn’t look that great either. Have to be careful judging cup games but we battered Stanley 5-1, an injury ravaged Vale beat Burton away 2-1 fairly comfortably and our second string took a strong Rotherham side to penalties after missing a hatful of chances. Nothing overly to fear if you look beyond the “big” names.
Not saying we are flush with cash, but the FA Cup money we have made over the last few seasons has had a significant impact in growing the club. We average over 4000 and the fan base is growing so don’t see why we couldn’t do what Cheltenham are doing. Of course, the issue is getting there!

Devon_Lad

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City / Rangers
Twitter
@MoggMentum
Not saying we are flush with cash, but the FA Cup money we have made over the last few seasons has had a significant impact in growing the club. We average over 4000 and the fan base is growing so don’t see why we couldn’t do what Cheltenham are doing. Of course, the issue is getting there!
Cheltenham only went up last year. Bit of momentum this season then they'll be in a relegation scrap next year and beyond until they're relegated. Bit like what Morecambe have done. Accrington are the exception not the rule, and eventually it will all go wrong and they'll probably do a Yeovil and end up back at their natural level in non league

Trapdoor

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter
If Cheltenham lose Alfie May they will go down again.
That lad is far too good for L1/L2. Definition of a 1 man team they are.

Sydney Posse

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter
As an Exeter fan for more years than I care to remember it's the hope that kills you. I do genuinely think we are good enough for an automatic spot this season though, and will be MUCH more disappointed than usual if we contrive to fuck it up this season

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Cheltenham only went up last year. Bit of momentum this season then they'll be in a relegation scrap next year and beyond until they're relegated. Bit like what Morecambe have done. Accrington are the exception not the rule, and eventually it will all go wrong and they'll probably do a Yeovil and end up back at their natural level in non league
See Crewe

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
Not guaranteed, despite knocking on the door to the Football League for several seasons we only stayed up by a point in our first after promotion. That said, for the first half of the season we were pretty awful, strengthened the defence in the January transfer window and that did the job...but only just.

I am not kidding myself that if we do get promoted the squad will need a bit of an overhaul, there are quite a few players who probably aren't of the required standard for League One...but anyway, we can worry about that if it happens.

Agombar stool

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
McKirdy has injured his calf and is probably out for the rest of the season. That's a huge blow. However Louie Barry is back from his injury so that news is tempered slightly.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Not guaranteed, despite knocking on the door to the Football League for several seasons we only stayed up by a point in our first after promotion. That said, for the first half of the season we were pretty awful, strengthened the defence in the January transfer window and that did the job...but only just.

I am not kidding myself that if we do get promoted the squad will need a bit of an overhaul, there are quite a few players who probably aren't of the required standard for League One...but anyway, we can worry about that if it happens.

Without knowing how long is left on the contracts of the likes of Cadden I think a lot for FGR depends on keeping them.

L1 nowadays is basically two leagues within a league. Just the sheer money that the likes of Ipswich, Sheff Wed and Sunderland possess make doing a back to back promotion nigh on impossible especially if you add in Derby and Peterborough who will no doubt spend also. The bottom half of that league is not that much better than here if at all so survival is more than plausible for anyone who is run in a decent manner.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
As an Exeter fan for more years than I care to remember it's the hope that kills you. I do genuinely think we are good enough for an automatic spot this season though, and will be MUCH more disappointed than usual if we contrive to fuck it up this season
You've always had the ability as a team for many years in this league, it's just previously you had a soft underbelly. You were one of the only teams we have played this season that have that chanelled aggression and desire. That, alongside 3 or 4 players with good ability is all you need to get out of this league.

In spite of our upturn in results, I think there are teams above us in a better position to attack the automatics. We really needed to win the other night. I have a nagging feeling that we're a couple of players with ability short. One is Gibbons who should be back soon and the other is Conlon, who we have really missed. With those 2, Wilson and Proctor fit all season I reckon we'd be easily in the top 3 by now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazzer

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!