Relegation Thread 2017/18

BelizeHatter

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Haha. You know full well football doesn't work like that and loves to kick you in the nuts once optimism surfaces. Good luck to all. Relegation to the Conf sucks worse than you think.

JJ1532

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
51 - Safety 2013
50 - Safety 2014
49 -
48 -
47 - Safety 2017, Crewe(42)
46 -
45 - Safety 2012, Yeovil(39)
44 -
43 - Port Vale(42)
42 - Safety 2015 Morecambe(40)
41 - Predicted Safety 17-18, Grimsby(42)
40 - Forest Green(41)
39 -
38 -
37 -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
36 - Barnet(42)
35 - Safety 2016
34 - Chesterfield(39)

Forthcoming fixtures:

17th Crewe(42) - 47 points. Luton(A), Morecambe(H), Crawley(A), Cheltenham(H)
18th Yeovil(39) - 45 points. Swindon(A), Wycombe(H), Accrington(A), Notts County(A), Forest Green(H), Mansfield(H), Lincoln(A)
19th Port Vale(42) - 43 points. Lincoln(H), Mansfield(A), Carlisle(H), Cambridge(A)
20th Morecambe(40) - 42 points. Chesterfield(H), Carlisle(H), Crewe(A),Cambridge(H), Barnet(H), Coventry(A),
21st Grimsby(42) - 41 points. Barnet(H), Swindon(A), Notts County(H), Forest Green(A)
22nd Forest Green(41) - 40 points. Cheltenham(A), Chesterfield(H), Yeovil(A), Luton(A), Grimsby(H)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
23rd Barnet(42) - 36 points. Grimsby(A), Newport(H), Morecambe(A), Chesterfield(H)
24th Chesterfield(39) - 34 points. Morecambe(A), Mansfield(H), Exeter(A), Forest Green(A), Wycombe(H), Newport(H), Barnet(A)

Working from the bottom, if Chesterfield go down, this game will be one of the big killers of their season. To lose like they did to Port Vale last Friday and then again today, you've got little chance if you lose your 6 pointers. They are far from done given their games in hand, but Tuesday at Morecambe is an absolute must win. Wouldn't write them off next Saturday at home to Mansfield either, could easily beat them like they did against Notts County, especially given Mansfield's current form.

Barnet gave themselves another shot in the arm by making it back to back home wins. Got to get that away form going though, not sure 2 home wins does it for them, they need to find a way of beating Grimsby and/or Morecambe. Going right down to the wire though, both the bottom 2 not out of it at all.

FGR have picked the worst time to collapse, you'd back them with their run in, but like the bottom 2, they need an away win from at least one of their last 3 you'd have thought. But then 46 might be enough. Hard to tell at this stage. Grimsby though, what a result for them. Keeps the chasing pack away from them, but they'll have to ramp up again and probably beat Barnet next Saturday.

Morecambe though, I didn't see them folding so easily at Cheltenham given their current form. With their games in hand they should be ok, but their game with Chesterfield is massive, lose that and they will be looking over their shoulders again. I'll say apologies to my Vale colleagues, I genuinely have no Vale bias when it comes to these updates and I probably was overly harsh on them whilst talking up my own team despite the narrow gap in points on Monday evening. But given the way they folded against Crawley(and Crewe), they have got to hold some small concern of getting dragged back into it. Their run in isn't all that kind, yes they only need a win, but there has to been some worries surely? I don't think that's unfair to say is it?

Yeovil's discipline cost them today by the looks of it, still should be safe given their games in hand but you can't help but keep looking at their run in. Won't take Crewe out of it, but we are very close, hard to see 6 of the 7 beneath us all passing us. Still, we'll see where the table sits this time next week.

The big games keep coming though, now it's Morecambe v Chesterfield on Tuesday, huge fixture for both teams. Yeovil also playing away at local(ish) neighbours Swindon.

Then it's Grimsby v Barnet next weekend, no other 6 pointers though. You feel the relegation battle will go down to the wire this season.

Dave-Vale

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
51 - Safety 2013
50 - Safety 2014
49 -
48 -
46 -
44 -
43 - Port Vale(42)
40 - Forest Green(41)
39 -
38 -
37 -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
36 - Barnet(42)
35 - Safety 2016
34 - Chesterfield(39)

Forthcoming fixtures:

18th Yeovil(39) - 45 points. Swindon(A), Wycombe(H), Accrington(A), Notts County(A), Forest Green(H), Mansfield(H), Lincoln(A)
19th Port Vale(42) - 43 points. Lincoln(H), Mansfield(A), Carlisle(H), Cambridge(A)
20th Morecambe(40) - 42 points. Chesterfield(H), Carlisle(H), Crewe(A),Cambridge(H), Barnet(H), Coventry(A),
21st Grimsby(42) - 41 points. Barnet(H), Swindon(A), Notts County(H), Forest Green(A)
22nd Forest Green(41) - 40 points. Cheltenham(A), Chesterfield(H), Yeovil(A), Luton(A), Grimsby(H)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
23rd Barnet(42) - 36 points. Grimsby(A), Newport(H), Morecambe(A), Chesterfield(H)
24th Chesterfield(39) - 34 points. Morecambe(A), Mansfield(H), Exeter(A), Forest Green(A), Wycombe(H), Newport(H), Barnet(A)

Working from the bottom, if Chesterfield go down, this game will be one of the big killers of their season. To lose like they did to Port Vale last Friday and then again today, you've got little chance if you lose your 6 pointers. They are far from done given their games in hand, but Tuesday at Morecambe is an absolute must win. Wouldn't write them off next Saturday at home to Mansfield either, could easily beat them like they did against Notts County, especially given Mansfield's current form.

Barnet gave themselves another shot in the arm by making it back to back home wins. Got to get that away form going though, not sure 2 home wins does it for them, they need to find a way of beating Grimsby and/or Morecambe. Going right down to the wire though, both the bottom 2 not out of it at all.

FGR have picked the worst time to collapse, you'd back them with their run in, but like the bottom 2, they need an away win from at least one of their last 3 you'd have thought. But then 46 might be enough. Hard to tell at this stage. Grimsby though, what a result for them. Keeps the chasing pack away from them, but they'll have to ramp up again and probably beat Barnet next Saturday.

Morecambe though, I didn't see them folding so easily at Cheltenham given their current form. With their games in hand they should be ok, but their game with Chesterfield is massive, lose that and they will be looking over their shoulders again. I'll say apologies to my Vale colleagues, I genuinely have no Vale bias when it comes to these updates and I probably was overly harsh on them whilst talking up my own team despite the narrow gap in points on Monday evening. But given the way they folded against Crawley(and Crewe), they have got to hold some small concern of getting dragged back into it. Their run in isn't all that kind, yes they only need a win, but there has to been some worries surely? I don't think that's unfair to say is it?

Yeovil's discipline cost them today by the looks of it, still should be safe given their games in hand but you can't help but keep looking at their run in. Won't take Crewe out of it, but we are very close, hard to see 6 of the 7 beneath us all passing us. Still, we'll see where the table sits this time next week.

The big games keep coming though, now it's Morecambe v Chesterfield on Tuesday, huge fixture for both teams. Yeovil also playing away at local(ish) neighbours Swindon.

Then it's Grimsby v Barnet next weekend, no other 6 pointers though. You feel the relegation battle will go down to the wire this season.

Can’t say you’ve been unfair to us there. I thought we would win today and have our feet up but no, we are going to do it the hard way. We’ve played better over the last few home games and I think we will get at least one more win and a draw which should be enough to see us safe.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Can’t say you’ve been unfair to us there. I thought we would win today and have our feet up but no, we are going to do it the hard way. We’ve played better over the last few home games and I think we will get at least one more win and a draw which should be enough to see us safe.

Hope your right Dave, I think the fact Carlisle and Cambridge will be on the beach means we should be able to get a result from one of them if needed. If Barnet lose one of their last four they need to win three to catch us and if Chesterfield lose Tuesday then they’d need to get some big results to get us. Even if Barnet win that would mean they beat Grimsby who have two tricky games after that against teams involved at the top end so we may just have done enough.

Tuesday is massive for all involved though.

Dave-Vale

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
We didn`t fold against Crawley yesterday, we failed to overcome by an appalling one sided refereeing performance.

Thought we were good for the win first half but second half we offered nothing going forward which was strange because they looked very fragile when we attacked them.

They didn’t really have any clear cut chances. We lost because our heads dropped after the shambolic display of refereeing. I’ve not heard Aspins interview yet but I’ve heard that he was fuming.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Thought we were good for the win first half but second half we offered nothing going forward which was strange because they looked very fragile when we attacked them.

They didn’t really have any clear cut chances. We lost because our heads dropped after the shambolic display of refereeing. I’ve not heard Aspins interview yet but I’ve heard that he was fuming.

That’s one way of putting it! A side to him we haven’t seen before as he is so honest and that shows just how bad he was!

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Looking at our remaining fixtures the four teams we have left to play against we managed to pick up ten points combined in the reverse fixtures, drawing at Notts and beating Swindon Barnet and FGR so with that I'm hopeful we'll be able to squeeze enough points from these remaining games to just about fall over the line.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
How are those wrists this morning Chesterfield fans?

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Fancying grimbo to beat us at home, we’ve already lost to Barnet and chesterfield away this season so why not complete the set or losing to absolute basement rabble

George Reilly's Hairpiece

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
A Grimsby win was the worst of the three results as far as we are concerned. Whilst it's theoretically possible that we could still draw there next Saturday and stay up, realistically we need to win, and that doesn't seem that realistic given our last few away performances. Even if we do get in front, we'll have to endure all attacking players being rounded up and withdrawn whilst we desperately defend our penalty area.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
After 42 games, the biggest deficit overcome by a team that gained survival over a team that went down was 9 points in 2005-06. Torquay albeit had one game in hand, which they won, and Oxford were the unlucky side in question, so you could argue in real terms, the gap was a 6 point one with Oxford having -11 GD compared to Torquay's -19 GD which makes you think how on Earth Oxford fucked it up so badly considering they were 18th at the time!

In 2010-11 at this point, Lincoln (-29 GD) were 20th and 6 points clear of 23rd place Barnet (-20 GD). Lincoln would drop on the final day as Barnet rallied to stay up. Once again, some insane bottling on display.

And for the record, those of you in this league last season who remember Newport's "great escape" (which it was given where they were). Newport were only 1 point behind Hartlepool at this stage last season, so it's very, very likely that, unless Chesterfield were to win all 3 of their games in hand, with many teams still playing each other down below, I'd take a stab and say that Yeovil and us are definitely safe, with Morecambe safe if they win on Tuesday and Vale just needing to get over the line which I back them to do. Grimsby to also be safe if they beat Barnet next week as well which would mean it'd potentially go down to a scrap between FGR, Barnet and Chesterfield...

BeesKnees

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet FC
A Grimsby win was the worst of the three results as far as we are concerned. Whilst it's theoretically possible that we could still draw there next Saturday and stay up, realistically we need to win, and that doesn't seem that realistic given our last few away performances. Even if we do get in front, we'll have to endure all attacking players being rounded up and withdrawn whilst we desperately defend our penalty area.

I don't see it that way. The only result that was good for us was a draw. If Chesterfield had won and were ahead of us with three games in hand then I think that would be at least as bad.

No doubt that our only hope is to win 3 as a minimum. Very tough but not impossible given who we play. The longer we have 2-3 teams to aim at the better, preferably with Grimsby and FGR still in the mix on the last day.

Im still hopeful we can come up with a result like we got at Colchester and win our home games ( probably in the same unconvincing style as the Crewe and FGR wins)

MrGloverLover

Reaction score
Supports
Yeovil Town
51 - Safety 2013
50 - Safety 2014
49 -
48 -
46 -
44 -
43 - Port Vale(42)
40 - Forest Green(41)
39 -
38 -
37 -
36 - Barnet(42)
35 - Safety 2016
34 - Chesterfield(39)

Forthcoming fixtures:

75 miles away

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
75 miles away

Having lived in that area of the world last year I can categorically say it only took me 20 minutes fewer to get to Yeovil than it did to get me back to Crewe from there by road. Absolute trek it is!

I think people up North see them both in the South West region and naturally assume it's a local game, but it really isn't...

MrGloverLover

Reaction score
Supports
Yeovil Town
Having lived in that area of the world last year I can categorically say it only took me 20 minutes fewer to get to Yeovil than it did to get me back to Crewe from there by road. Absolute trek it is!

I think people up North see them both in the South West region and naturally assume it's a local game, but it really isn't...

Absolutely. I now live in the Midlands and laugh when people here go on holiday to Cornwall and think they're virtually there when they get to Bristol.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Absolutely. I now live in the Midlands and laugh when people here go on holiday to Cornwall and think they're virtually there when they get to Bristol.
I’m confused, have you bugged all of their cars?

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Chesterfield will already have the 3 points on Saturday before you lot kick off, sorry in advance

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Chesterfield will already have the 3 points on Saturday before you lot kick off, sorry in advance

Long as you let us have three the week after I don't mind!

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Long as you let us have three the week after I don't mind!

Oh we let everyone have 3 points now. Mansfield are easier than a lass in Chesterfield

CFC91

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
No chance. We’re gutless, we won’t be up for this at all unless it’s on sky

CFC91

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
You need the win more than we do, you'll be more up for it.
We needed the win at Vale and Grimsby and didn't bother turning up at either of those which were much bigger games than these. We're spineless we'll roll over

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
You need the win more than we do, you'll be more up for it.
You'd be surprised, given the enormity of the game at ours they didn't look up for that one either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazzer
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!