Saturday 27th August

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Agree on Holohan being replaceable at this level but I think you lot did him a disservice when we signed him saying he's not good enough for L2 as he quite clearly is going off our start. Admittedly we're not many games in so that could change.
He is and he isn't but it depends what you're aiming for. In the NL teams couldn't read his runs into the box but more often than not they did here and that's the biggest part of his game. The scouting and analysis up here is probably better so he was negated at times.

I don't know how you lot play but he was good under Challinor when we deployed a high press, he gives everything out there and is a threat in the area. Im not sure he's as strong in sides that dont play with that intensity and like to keep the ball as technically he falls short.

Personally not sure I said he's poor for L2 but you probably need better if you want to trouble the top 7. I wrongly assumed we shipped him out to get better in, well we haven't and would he get in this side? Absolutely. Just the kind of character to fight and get you points on the board. As RiftHouseLad said he's a good lad and wish him the best.

Chief Rocka

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Agree on Holohan being replaceable at this level but I think you lot did him a disservice when we signed him saying he's not good enough for L2 as he quite clearly is going off our start. Admittedly we're not many games in so that could change.

I still don't think he's good enough to be a consistent performer in L2, but like you say this is an opinion based over a longer stretch than 6 games.

He'll get a great reception when he comes back, he had cult hero status here and was a decent fella, like Soup says we got rid under the assumption we'd be bringing in better, we haven't.

BarraMatt

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
Pools might have an escape route from Hartley, the Dundee United job will be up for grabs tomorrow.

Spanishstag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield town
Stags were crap yesterday ,cloughs line up was a complete mystery to most ,then we get treated to a load of bullshit in his interview,hanging out individuals again when he plays them out of position ,hes gradually going to lose his standing with fans if he doesnt sort things out soon ,chances are he will ship out one of the better midfielders as part of his dealings this week its poor to say the least

RiftHouseLad

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Pools might have an escape route from Hartley, the Dundee United job will be up for grabs tomorrow.
I,ll drive him there out of my own pocket.
And of course tell him he,s the best, But i don,t have to he already knows that.

I,ve learnt loads since he took over, apparently if you train well all week
You don,t need tactics or any form of a plan, just go out and play. Simple isn,t it.

Sestonpoolie

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Great result for us. Delighted for Harry Clifton too, has his doubters constantly sometimes justified but often not. If we take anything from Newport it'll have been a great couple of away matches back to back.

He was one player i wasn't sure would make the step up to league 2,but he did no probs.
He gave the ball away a bit,but made up for that with hard graft,winning second ball & popping up with the odd winner.
Absolute stupidity letting him go.

Jam0

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
I say this with guarded optimism and acknowledgment it'll probably all go downhill from here, but if Orient can keep Smyth, Kelman and Archibald fit, I think we'll make the top 7 comfortably or go even further. That's without our main talisman from last season, Drinan who suits Wellens ball to a tee and has been out injured so far this season but is due back next week.

On what I've seen so far, very few can live with our front line, it's a really nice mix of blistering pace, trickery and hard work. With George Moncur in behind who is far too good to be playing League 2 football.

Ask any Orient fan and our main weakness over the past few years has been from the centre of the park, lacking any guile and bite. Wellens has addressed this with El Mizouni in from ITFC that looks excellent so far.

Aside from Mansfield at home, which could have gone either way, we've basically dominated every game this season and in one or two (yesterday for example), look streets ahead

Last edited:

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
He is and he isn't but it depends what you're aiming for. In the NL teams couldn't read his runs into the box but more often than not they did here and that's the biggest part of his game. The scouting and analysis up here is probably better so he was negated at times.

I don't know how you lot play but he was good under Challinor when we deployed a high press, he gives everything out there and is a threat in the area. Im not sure he's as strong in sides that dont play with that intensity and like to keep the ball as technically he falls short.

Personally not sure I said he's poor for L2 but you probably need better if you want to trouble the top 7. I wrongly assumed we shipped him out to get better in, well we haven't and would he get in this side? Absolutely. Just the kind of character to fight and get you points on the board. As RiftHouseLad said he's a good lad and wish him the best.
I don't agree that runs into the box are the biggest part of his game, but that might just be a difference in the way he was deployed for you and how Hurst uses him for us. We haven't really seen that side of him that much though. I think there's a big misconception around him in that people think he's an attacking mid because he scores the occasional banger. For me he's a pure box to box CM and I'd say the biggest part of his game is breaking up play and covering as much ground as possible when the opposition is on the ball.

We do indeed play a pressing game and he has played in a midfield three all season, along with Green who is quite similar to Holohan in that he works his arse off but is more combative and Morris who is the one who'll put his foot on the ball and pick the right pass. Of the three Holohan is the most attacking but they are all really box to box type mids and they're all high energy and busy and overlapping each other all match. Runs into the box mainly come from out wide. I guess that backs up what you're saying about him being suited to this kind of system? It will be interesting to see what we do when McAtee is back as he's an out and out #10 which isn't really a role in our current system but he's our best player by some distance.

Yeah we'll see if he's good enough to push us up the table but at the moment I'm definitely not saying he's not. Not sure if he could do it in a two man midfield like he did with Ben Fox last season though. Funnily enough on the subject of players leaving and hoping for better to come in, we were all devastated to lose Fox and didn't think for a second that we'd find better but Bryn Morris looks classy and Kieran Green would quite clearly slide tackle his nan to win the ball. Just hoping Morris can stay fit.
I still don't think he's good enough to be a consistent performer in L2, but like you say this is an opinion based over a longer stretch than 6 games.

He'll get a great reception when he comes back, he had cult hero status here and was a decent fella, like Soup says we got rid under the assumption we'd be bringing in better, we haven't.
Yeah that's fair enough, I guess time will tell. Will be good to see him get a nice reception at your place. Really hoping to get up for that one. Top set of fans who like us have been through the ringer and had to put up with some shite mismanagement over the years. Sad to see it looks like you're still suffering with incompetence at the top of the club again.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
He was one player i wasn't sure would make the step up to league 2,but he did no probs.
He gave the ball away a bit,but made up for that with hard graft,winning second ball & popping up with the odd winner.
Absolute stupidity letting him go.
Ah yeah, he does give the ball away cheaply a fair bit I'll agree with that 100% but he did that at the level below too to be fair! Busts an absolute gut to win it back mind.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Yeah we'll see if he's good enough to push us up the table but at the moment I'm definitely not saying he's not. Not sure if he could do it in a two man midfield like he did with Ben Fox last season though. Funnily enough on the subject of players leaving and hoping for better to come in, we were all devastated to lose Fox and didn't think for a second that we'd find better but Bryn Morris looks classy and Kieran Green would quite clearly slide tackle his nan to win the ball. Just hoping Morris can stay fit.
That's not a bad midfield 3 to be fair, good blend of styles. All are a case of the ones who got away from us, Green was sacked off as a youngster but I did see him when we played Halifax, he was combative but could play a bit. Morris is a very accomplished passer of the ball, does add a bit of class to the side. If he wasn't injured so much he'd be at a higher level. He was upset we u-turned on signing him and so ended up with yous. Clearly a better decision, you lot seem to be on the up a bit with decent owners. Forgotten what that was like.

Boz

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
On ridiculous remarks, Colchester boss Brown saying they played well enough to win the game takes the biscuit. His team couldn’t even muster a shot on target and against an injury-depleted Rovers side, fatigued from the midweek cup game, they looked pretty dire.

Limerick Mariner

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
I say this with guarded optimism and acknowledgment it'll probably all go downhill from here, but if Orient can keep Smyth, Kelman and Archibald fit, I think we'll make the top 7 comfortably or go even further. That's without our main talisman from last season, Drinan who suits Wellens ball to a tee and has been out injured so far this season but is due back next week.

On what I've seen so far, very few can live with our front line, it's a really nice mix of blistering pace, trickery and hard work. With George Moncur in behind who is far too good to be playing League 2 football.

Ask any Orient fan and our main weakness over the past few years has been from the centre of the park, lacking any guile and bite. Wellens has addressed this with El Mizouni in from ITFC that looks excellent so far.

Aside from Mansfield at home, which could have gone either way, we've basically dominated every game this season and in one or two (yesterday for example), look streets ahead
Certainly the second half v us - mind I'll give you the first 45 mins of the season to have a tentative 45 mins. You look to be the team to beat, as well as Barrow...who seem to be accumulating points at a similar rate as FC Halifax did last season after taking their manager.

AR27

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
On ridiculous remarks, Colchester boss Brown saying they played well enough to win the game takes the biscuit. His team couldn’t even muster a shot on target and against an injury-depleted Rovers side, fatigued from the midweek cup game, they looked pretty dire.
Crewe manager was much of the same. Said it was their best performance of the season and they had controlled possession in both halves. Bizarrely ignoring the fact that they were camped inside their own box for 90 minutes and their only chance came in stoppage time.

saddler78

Reaction score
Supports
walsall
Stags were crap yesterday ,cloughs line up was a complete mystery to most ,then we get treated to a load of bullshit in his interview,hanging out individuals again when he plays them out of position ,hes gradually going to lose his standing with fans if he doesnt sort things out soon ,chances are he will ship out one of the better midfielders as part of his dealings this week its poor to say the least
can see this being why your owners blocked a permanent deal for Danny Johnson if Clough goes a new man might want him back especially if he carries on scoring goals 7 already now for us the lad can finish.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
Crewe manager was much of the same. Said it was their best performance of the season and they had controlled possession in both halves. Bizarrely ignoring the fact that they were camped inside their own box for 90 minutes and their only chance came in stoppage time.

Let's be honest, this full scale domination Bradford and their fans perceive to have happened yesterday never occurred. The ball spent most the game either being crossed harmlessly out of play, in the middle of the park or high up in the air. It was nothing like when Northampton had almost all the ball in the second half against us last week.

Both sides had an appalling lack of end product. Our plan was to catch Bradford on the counter to compensate for the fact we're an injury riddled mess with few game changers on the bench. Bradford can point to having more possession but their build up play was painfully slow, whereas when we countered, we countered with pace only to waste a chance or give the ball away cheaply. Both keepers had a relatively easy day without dealing with much.

I was confident we wouldn't concede yesterday but also knew that we didn't look like scoring. The defence barely look troubled all game and pretty much dealt with everything bar a shot that hit the bar and a shot Okonkwo saved in the first half.

Both sides will end up mid table and Sparky will have his P45 served in the Winter because I can't see him troubling the promotion spots with you lot based on those 90 minutes I'm afraid.

As for Morris' interview, we've played a lot better in other games so I clearly disagree with him on face value. But I'm very sure it's an indirect dig telling the board to back him with new signings given we've been lumbered with freeloaders signed up by the last manager, first year pros and a lack of sufficient depth. So I wouldn't be too wound up by it if I was the opposition.

RLC

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
They were one of the poorest sides I have seen since we returned to the Football League. Strange, as they do have some reasonable names on paper.

Reactions: Boz

Kauto Star

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Let's be honest, this full scale domination Bradford and their fans perceive to have happened yesterday never occurred. The ball spent most the game either being crossed harmlessly out of play, in the middle of the park or high up in the air. It was nothing like when Northampton had almost all the ball in the second half against us last week.

Both sides had an appalling lack of end product. Our plan was to catch Bradford on the counter to compensate for the fact we're an injury riddled mess with few game changers on the bench. Bradford can point to having more possession but their build up play was painfully slow, whereas when we countered, we countered with pace only to waste a chance or give the ball away cheaply. Both keepers had a relatively easy day without dealing with much.

I was confident we wouldn't concede yesterday but also knew that we didn't look like scoring. The defence barely look troubled all game and pretty much dealt with everything bar a shot that hit the bar and a shot Okonkwo saved in the first half.

Both sides will end up mid table and Sparky will have his P45 served in the Winter because I can't see him troubling the promotion spots with you lot based on those 90 minutes I'm afraid.

As for Morris' interview, we've played a lot better in other games so I clearly disagree with him on face value. But I'm very sure it's an indirect dig telling the board to back him with new signings given we've been lumbered with freeloaders signed up by the last manager, first year pros and a lack of sufficient depth. So I wouldn't be too wound up by it if I was the opposition.

Agree with most of that apart from Hughes getting his P45 this winter

Sestonpoolie

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
I don't agree that runs into the box are the biggest part of his game, but that might just be a difference in the way he was deployed for you and how Hurst uses him for us. We haven't really seen that side of him that much though. I think there's a big misconception around him in that people think he's an attacking mid because he scores the occasional banger. For me he's a pure box to box CM and I'd say the biggest part of his game is breaking up play and covering as much ground as possible when the opposition is on the ball.

We do indeed play a pressing game and he has played in a midfield three all season, along with Green who is quite similar to Holohan in that he works his arse off but is more combative and Morris who is the one who'll put his foot on the ball and pick the right pass. Of the three Holohan is the most attacking but they are all really box to box type mids and they're all high energy and busy and overlapping each other all match. Runs into the box mainly come from out wide. I guess that backs up what you're saying about him being suited to this kind of system? It will be interesting to see what we do when McAtee is back as he's an out and out #10 which isn't really a role in our current system but he's our best player by some distance.

Reading how mobile your 3 ex Pools players are,has thoroughly depressed me.
Ours couldn't run a bath.

WilsdenBantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City

Not sure one City fan has said we had full scale domination, don’t make things up like your manager. Every City fan knows we were crap Saturday, probably why the team was booed off.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
can see this being why your owners blocked a permanent deal for Danny Johnson if Clough goes a new man might want him back especially if he carries on scoring goals 7 already now for us the lad can finish.

Why would the owners, who kept Clough last season after not winning in 12 games and got rewarded with a play-off final, even think about sacking Clough?

Clough cost us that saturday fitting in his buddies, but we’ve won three lost three so far so it’s not disastrous.

Last edited:

Spanishstag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield town
Why would the owners, who kept Clough last season after not winning in 12 games and got rewarded with a play-off final, even think about sacking Clough?

Clough cost us that saturday fitting in his buddies, but we’ve won three lost three so far so it’s not disastrous.
Think hes posting because i said if cloughies not careful hes gonna lose his standing with the fans

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanPep
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!