The League 1 General Chat Match Thread

bantamigo

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Know what he means, apart from a couple of long rangers I can’t remember Charlton doing much. Neither did we really but Amos bailed them out with three big saves. I thought we were the better side despite the injuries and the awful conditions but doubt Charlton will be bothered.

Wibbin

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury
We huffed and puffed today in difficult conditions.
As I said in another thread, neither keeper made a save of note but only one team wanted to win the game today.
Fleetwood had 2 booked for time wasting and despite making all 3 subs didn't change the game.
Yes we've played a quarter of the season, we've had no suspensions and until today no serious injuries (don't know how Junior Browns injury its but looked serious though he did hobble off)
We will not win the league, we may not make the playoffs but fitness and confidence are playing a huge part and we're enjoying it while it lasts

OUFC Dan

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford
Rotherham were effective, organised and probably deserved a point but my god is it disappointing to give it them

Hedonist Puncture

Reaction score
Supports
Scunthorpe United
We're fucking terrible but thankfully Peterborough were even worse. Alexander's tactics for 70 minutes were shocking and so negative. Simon Church changed the game when he came on, made us far more attacking and won the penalty that won us the game. We're somehow 8th but I can't see us troubling the play-offs this season.
First half was woeful. Posh were poor and we were worse. Second half was better and yes, Church added something up top. Adelakun brought some uplifting spirit when we needed to go forward after going behind. His cross for the first goal was quality. Inconsistency within a game continues to plague him, but I thought he added to our second half improvement. Overall we were poor again with the constant hoof from back to front. With Mantom and Williams injured, we need this Lewis guy to come good, as playing through the lines would reap benefits I reckon. L1 does not look strong so far this season.

LS Bantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
According to BBC, Charlton had 14 shots. What game were you watching?
Incredible, 14 yet nothing that worried me or had Doyle pulling off anything of note, their goal came from a ball which was a foot out of play during the build up which the linesman ignored and we switched off for them to score, throw in some even worse subs from McCall, five first teamers missing, getting piss wet through and remembering I've shelled out to go to Portsmouth next week... I wish I'd stayed in the pub.

Marked Ox

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
Rotherham were effective, organised and probably deserved a point but my god is it disappointing to give it them

Disagree that they deserved a point just like we didn't Tuesday Vs Charlton. Should have sown the game up before they scored their 2nd, which should have been a foul for a blatant push on our defender. We missed a penalty, Wes Thomas should have made more of the chance when clean through.

Yes, they hit the crossbar, Eastwood had to make a good save and they had a correctly disallowed goal; but in the same half we had chances with Wes Thomas, Joe Rothwell, Jack Payne and Canice Carroll.

Also their no.5, does he know how to defend without using his hands (push, pull, hold)? He certainly didn't use his feet much for the job.

3Loggerheads

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury
We huffed and puffed today in difficult conditions.
As I said in another thread, neither keeper made a save of note but only one team wanted to win the game today.
Fleetwood had 2 booked for time wasting and despite making all 3 subs didn't change the game.
Yes we've played a quarter of the season, we've had no suspensions and until today no serious injuries (don't know how Junior Browns injury its but looked serious though he did hobble off)
We will not win the league, we may not make the playoffs but fitness and confidence are playing a huge part and we're enjoying it while it lasts
Third of the season gone and I will stick my neck out and say this team has every chance of winning promotion.
We now have a 10 point gap from 3rd effectively needing to lose 4 games at this stage of the season and resits go against us to drop out of the top 2.
What might work against us is losing players in the transfer window.

Last edited:

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
Incredible, 14 yet nothing that worried me or had Doyle pulling off anything of note, their goal came from a ball which was a foot out of play during the build up which the linesman ignored and we switched off for them to score, throw in some even worse subs from McCall, five first teamers missing, getting piss wet through and remembering I've shelled out to go to Portsmouth next week... I wish I'd stayed in the pub.

You clown.

Don't remember us having a shot and then acknowledge us having 14 :lol:

LS Bantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
You clown.

Don't remember us having a shot and then acknowledge us having 14 :lol:
Well some stats guy for BBC or whoever reckons there were 14 non threatening 'shots', Billy Clarke shanked one wide, just need 13 more?

Last edited:

WilsdenBantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Wow that was poor 3rd division at it's peak there. Shame we had 5 first teamers out and near the end half the team were just development squad players, I tipped Charlton for top 3 start of the season maybe they had an off day but they created fuck all really except for the linesman not giving us a blatant throw the game would have deservedly ended 0-0. Ricky Homes looks a danger but his end product was shocking a couple of long range efforts which I thought he was trying to wipe people in the crowed out, and his passing looked like a poor mans Nicky Law.

Other than a 20 minute spell second half we were certainly no better though, in fact dreadful in reality. My excuse is that we have 5 first team players out though, I can't think of any other club in this league that wouldn't have a serious affect on. Need to improve sharpish for Portsmouth or it could be another pile of shit.

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
Well a ome stats guy for BBC or whoever reckons there were 14 non threatening 'shots', Billy Clarke shanked one wide, just need 13 more?

13?

Nah, one will do. Jake Forster-Caskey's.

bantamigo

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Wow that was poor 3rd division at it's peak there. Shame we had 5 first teamers out and near the end half the team were just development squad players, I tipped Charlton for top 3 start of the season maybe they had an off day but they created fuck all really except for the linesman not giving us a blatant throw the game would have deservedly ended 0-0. Ricky Homes looks a danger but his end product was shocking a couple of long range efforts which I thought he was trying to wipe people in the crowed out, and his passing looked like a poor mans Nicky Law.

Other than a 20 minute spell second half we were certainly no better though, in fact dreadful in reality. My excuse is that we have 5 first team players out though, I can't think of any other club in this league that wouldn't have a serious affect on. Need to improve sharpish for Portsmouth or it could be another pile of shit.

We massively miss Vincelot when he’s out, Reeves and Law are neat and tidy but they rarely take the game by the scruff of the neck. Think today just shows how poor the squad is. Surely we need to spend some of that Wells money in Jan

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
Also love that the 50 second highlights on the sky sports app includes THREE Charlton shots :lol:

Cornish Piskie

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton Athletic
A win is a win is a win. I'll take 1-0 away against the team one place above us in the table any day of the week.

Four points from two away matches against other top six contenders in five days. Yep, 'appy with that.

What's not to like..?

bantamigo

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Maybe you had to be at the game but I can't really remember feeling under pressure at all. We actually had the only decent period from either side in the second half but was killed stone dead when Charlton scored and McCall basically threw in the towel with his subs.

I said last season that Charlton were one of the best sides to come to ours last year so not really like credit wouldn't be given where it was due, they looked far more potent that day than today.

WilsdenBantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Also love that the 50 second highlights on the sky sports app includes THREE Charlton shots :lol:
There's a difference between shots and clear cut chances though, you scored with your only clear cut chance we didn't for that reason alone you deserve the win so fair fucks. Lot of respect for Charlton, for Clarke and Marshall if nothing else. Can only presume you didn't go though as you were far poorer than expected BBC stats aside considering we had 5 first teamers out , maybe just a poor day at the office? But credit as you scraped the win not deserved though as the linesman should have given us the throw which led to your goal. I'm sure both will be up there but even after drowning my sorrows it's still hard to take.

The one positive is the Billy Clarke reception at the start of the game and when he was subbed, as frustrating as he could be he always gave 100% and a decent lad I'd have happily seen him stay he'll always have respect here like Marshall.

Expect both to be top 6 but on that game it shows just how big the gap is between tier 2 and 3.

Simpo

Reaction score
Supports
Oldham Athletic
I'm really fascinated to see how Wellens reacts to today. I don't mind days of giving up 2 goal leads to draw 4-4 if it means a brand of exciting football.

The last two seasons it's been a case of turning up in hope, and pretty much no expectation. So to have buzz of actually being good to watch is a thrill. Hope it continues!

WilsdenBantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
We massively miss Vincelot when he’s out, Reeves and Law are neat and tidy but they rarely take the game by the scruff of the neck. Think today just shows how poor the squad is. Surely we need to spend some of that Wells money in Jan
Agree with all of this except how poor our squad is, I'm sick of hearing lack of depth from our fans.

How many teams can you honestly say wouldn't be seriously weakened by having 5 first teamers out? We are league 1 not Premier League with massive quality squads, we have been unlucky this season with injuries and suspensions I think we are a match for anyone on our day, maybe even Wigan with our full strength team. Provided we can get everyone fit and get a decent run with everyone I expect top 6 minimum.

But yes we could do with a couple of quality editions in January to push for top 3.

Camborne Gills

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham, Kent, Miami Dolphins, Castleford
In the real world,....................we are fucked, and will finish bottom

Camborne Gills

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham, Kent, Miami Dolphins, Castleford
I'm really fascinated to see how Wellens reacts to today. I don't mind days of giving up 2 goal leads to draw 4-4 if it means a brand of exciting football.

The last two seasons it's been a case of turning up in hope, and pretty much no expectation. So to have buzz of actually being good to watch is a thrill. Hope it continues![/QUOTE)

Don't knock it, it would take 5 games for us to score that many

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
There's a difference between shots and clear cut chances though, you scored with your only clear cut chance we didn't for that reason alone you deserve the win so fair fucks. Lot of respect for Charlton, for Clarke and Marshall if nothing else. Can only presume you didn't go though as you were far poorer than expected BBC stats aside considering we had 5 first teamers out , maybe just a poor day at the office? But credit as you scraped the win not deserved though as the linesman should have given us the throw which led to your goal. I'm sure both will be up there but even after drowning my sorrows it's still hard to take.

The one positive is the Billy Clarke reception at the start of the game and when he was subbed, as frustrating as he could be he always gave 100% and a decent lad I'd have happily seen him stay he'll always have respect here like Marshall.

Expect both to be top 6 but on that game it shows just how big the gap is between tier 2 and 3.

I wasn't there but was pretty well oiled so was probably a bit over the top in calling LS a clown, so apologise for that.

Was a silly comment though, to say he 'didn't remember us having a shot' when we scored one and all the stats said we had 13 more.

I'm sure we've played far better than that, Tuesday night for example, but I will take going to one of the best home teams in the league in awful conditions, not even playing well and still winning. We should get even better with the likes of Marshall and Reeves still getting back to full fitness and hopefully a bit of investment in January if this take-over happens.

4 points from away trips to Oxford and Bradford is a brilliant return.

LS Bantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Agree with all of this except how poor our squad is, I'm sick of hearing lack of depth from our fans.

How many teams can you honestly say wouldn't be seriously weakened by having 5 first teamers out? We are league 1 not Premier League with massive quality squads, we have been unlucky this season with injuries and suspensions I think we are a match for anyone on our day, maybe even Wigan with our full strength team. Provided we can get everyone fit and get a decent run with everyone I expect top 6 minimum.

But yes we could do with a couple of quality editions in January to push for top 3.
There's an argument for both sides re the depth of the squad, I think it's thin but at the same time we've brought in all these young players who have to be given a chance somehow, so we've made our bed and have to lie in it in that sense.
My main issue, is the team selection and choice of subs, yesterday with so many out not a brilliant example in terms of a starting 11, but generally how Nicky Law is undropable, or the likes of Patrick who must be Messi reborn in training to keep getting picked. Subs - I watched us at Walsall throw the game away with the worst set of subs I've seen in my time, yesterday was hardly any better, two development squad full backs came on before a midfielder who scored 11 last season and a striker who got double figures in L1? Alex Jones is clearly not liked by McCall but he has to be a better option when you're needing a goal.

finley

Reaction score
Supports
bradford city
There's an argument for both sides re the depth of the squad, I think it's thin but at the same time we've brought in all these young players who have to be given a chance somehow, so we've made our bed and have to lie in it in that sense.
My main issue, is the team selection and choice of subs, yesterday with so many out not a brilliant example in terms of a starting 11, but generally how Nicky Law is undropable, or the likes of Patrick who must be Messi reborn in training to keep getting picked. Subs - I watched us at Walsall throw the game away with the worst set of subs I've seen in my time, yesterday was hardly any better, two development squad full backs came on before a midfielder who scored 11 last season and a striker who got double figures in L1? Alex Jones is clearly not liked by McCall but he has to be a better option when you're needing a goal.
McCall said in his interview after the match that Jones needs to do more in training

WilsdenBantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
I wasn't there but was pretty well oiled so was probably a bit over the top in calling LS a clown, so apologise for that.

Was a silly comment though, to say he 'didn't remember us having a shot' when we scored one and all the stats said we had 13 more.

I'm sure we've played far better than that, Tuesday night for example, but I will take going to one of the best home teams in the league in awful conditions, not even playing well and still winning. We should get even better with the likes of Marshall and Reeves still getting back to full fitness and hopefully a bit of investment in January if this take-over happens.

4 points from away trips to Oxford and Bradford is a brilliant return.
I'm glad Marshall wasn't playing, if he plays anything like last season I can see him been the stand out player in your team even though I do rate Holmes regardless of how poor he was yesterday. Marshall would have ripped our 2nd choice full backs to pieces yesterday, I have no doubt about that.

The only positive from that game from my perspective was the reception Clarke got, however he just looked the same player I wasn't bothered about seeing go in the summer, does most of his good work near the half way line with little were it matters. I have no doubt Charlton must be capable of much more, but from our perspective I thought we'd get hammered pre match so to be done to a shocking linesman/ref decision is a real pisstake.

Anyway we should have 3 of the 5 back for Pompey next week so no reason we can't go there and get back on track.

WilsdenBantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
As Finley below has said regarding Jones, apparently he's not doing enough in training although he also stuttered and said he was ill last week so missed training, another strange interview to add to his collection. But I agree on the subs, if Field was injured we should have brought Thompson on and gone 3 at the back imo.

We had Thompson, McArten and Jones on the bench all experienced professionals but he decides to give two kids a go and McArten 2 minutes at the end. Saw the Walsall game as well, the less said about that shambles the better. Another game like yesterday were he said players had to go off with cramp even though they jogged off, most people struggle to stand up when they get it Field looked perfectly fine to me seemed like an excuse and not the first or last.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazzer

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!