The Promotion Thread

UppaTowen_ITFC

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
Maybe...See you about 7th 8th next season
Nothing wrong with that see Everyone else including us struggling next season
I think most of us would be happy enough with 8th tbf. Would be another year of progression.

Sunderland doing what they’ve done this year gives us hope that we can replicate them.

I happen to think Plymouth will be fine as well. Maybe not too half but a comfortable season I’d suggest well clear of relegation. Same with Wednesday if they come up. I think the lower teams in the championship are all worse than ourselves, Plymouth, Wednesday and Barnsley. Bolton better than a few of those too I think.

Huddersfield, Blackpool, Reading, QPR, Rotherham, Cardiff, Wigan all beatable. I’d back the top 4 in league 1 would beat all those sides right now.

LeonTheGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Plymouth Argyle Football Club
I think most of us would be happy enough with 8th tbf. Would be another year of progression.

Sunderland doing what they’ve done this year gives us hope that we can replicate them.

I happen to think Plymouth will be fine as well. Maybe not too half but a comfortable season I’d suggest well clear of relegation. Same with Wednesday if they come up. I think the lower teams in the championship are all worse than ourselves, Plymouth, Wednesday and Barnsley. Bolton better than a few of those too I think.

Huddersfield, Blackpool, Reading, QPR, Rotherham, Cardiff, Wigan all beatable. I’d back the top 4 in league 1 would beat all those sides right now.
I was thinking about it the other day. I don’t think staying up in the Championship is as scary for us as it sounds.

You’re bound to have one or two clubs who are completely fooked financially and may well end up getting point deductions. Then there’s your Rotherham’s and other clubs who will always be near the bottom.

I think another thing that will stand both us and yourselves in good stead is that we have two excellent tactical managers. Schuey has won us so many points this season from an in game change of formation or from making subs at the right time.

There are some very tactically inept managers in the Championship. I mean Paul Ince was at Reading ffs.

Millerbri

Reaction score
Supports
Rotherham United
It's good that Plymouth and Ipswich fans are confident in the teams to stay up next season, that's as it should be.

But basing league places on the team that got you promoted doesn't make much sense really.

It's likely that some of your best players get cherry picked like ours did in
pre-season and bigger teams will likely have their eyes on your coaching staff, like Derby did with ours.

We accept that we will be around bottom of the league but having stayed up for once, finally, we will have a good few extra funds to throw at it next year so might not be the fodder you're expecting.

Anyway huge congratulations on getting up, the points total is insane, I hope Plymouth can be Champions because they have achieved it without huge investment.

Of the play off teams, I hope Barnsley can make it, we have had some great games with the Tykes in the past and their fans are much the same as us but with better attendances since their Premier league days.
They are a proud town who tend to support their home town team, whereas we suffer from Sheffielditus which unfortunately has a detrimental effect on our gates.

UppaTowen_ITFC

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
It's good that Plymouth and Ipswich fans are confident in the teams to stay up next season, that's as it should be.

But basing league places on the team that got you promoted doesn't make much sense really.

It's likely that some of your best players get cherry picked like ours did in
pre-season and bigger teams will likely have their eyes on your coaching staff, like Derby did with ours.

We accept that we will be around bottom of the league but having stayed up for once, finally, we will have a good few extra funds to throw at it next year so might not be the fodder you're expecting.

Anyway huge congratulations on getting up, the points total is insane, I hope Plymouth can be Champions because they have achieved it without huge investment.

Of the play off teams, I hope Barnsley can make it, we have had some great games with the Tykes in the past and their fans are much the same as us but with better attendances since their Premier league days.
They are a proud town who tend to support their home town team, whereas we suffer from Sheffielditus which unfortunately has a detrimental effect on our gates.
I don’t think we will lose any players in all honesty and I’m certain we won’t lose McKenna. I don’t think we can really be compared with yourselves where the Championship will be seen as your ceiling as a club whereas the owners have made no secret since taking over that Premier League is the realistic plan.

Millerbri

Reaction score
Supports
Rotherham United
I don’t think we will lose any players in all honesty and I’m certain we won’t lose McKenna. I don’t think we can really be compared with yourselves where the Championship will be seen as your ceiling as a club whereas the owners have made no secret since taking over that Premier League is the realistic plan.

I'm under no illusion that you swim in a different pool to Rotherham finance wise.
But there's always bigger pools with bigger sharks.
If a Premier league team or a parachute club comes in for any of your players or manager, its not all about matching wages they want to perform at the highest level and their agents eyes light up, so off they pop.

It's one thing your owners talking about being the Premier league but at best that's at least a season away, players want it all NOW.

However, I do think you will have a comfortable enough return to the Championship, but maybe it's not going to be quite as easy as you think.

UppaTowen_ITFC

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
I'm under no illusion that you swim in a different pool to Rotherham finance wise.
But there's always bigger pools with bigger sharks.
If a Premier league team or a parachute club comes in for any of your players or manager, its not all about matching wages they want to perform at the highest level and their agents eyes light up, so off they pop.

It's one thing your owners talking about being the Premier league but at best that's at least a season away, players want it all NOW.

However, I do think you will have a comfortable enough return to the Championship, but maybe it's not going to be quite as easy as you think.
I don’t at all think it’s going to be easy but I’m certain we will be nearer the top than the bottom

TractorBoys

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town
We won't be selling anybody this summer other than players McKenna deems unsuitable for the Championship.

Millerbri

Reaction score
Supports
Rotherham United
We won't be selling anybody this summer other than players McKenna deems unsuitable for the Championship.

Handy little get out clause. if somebody buys one of your team and he goes, it's because the manager didn't want him :whistle:

What if some team takes the manager, is it because the Chairman doesn't want him?

TractorBoys

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town
Not a get out clause, we'll release some players and potentially sell some of the fringe, but we won't be accepting any £2m+ deals for the spine of our team. This will effectively prove my point. As we all know, we're one of the richest English teams, including Prem sides.

Likewise McKenna wouldn't be leaving either, not even for a (or any) Prem club.

Last edited:

Millerbri

Reaction score
Supports
Rotherham United
Likewise McKenna wouldn't be leaving either, not even for a (or any) Prem club.

Good to see you have a crystal ball, be interesting to see how accurate it is.
I will be watching with interest over the coming months.

TractorBoys

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town
I don't have a crystal ball - Mckenna and the club have reiterated this over and over again.

I can't imagine you will be watching on with interest as you clearly haven't taken any time to familiarise yourself with our club since the American takeover. So your responses don't hold much weight with you being clearly uninformed.

We'll spend a shit ton, sell none of our key players (one big pro about being the richest EFL club) and Mckenna will be here. Would love to see us go back to back promotions but I think we'll have to settle for playoffs first time around. Bookmark the post.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
I don't have a crystal ball - Mckenna and the club have reiterated this over and over again.

I can't imagine you will be watching on with interest as you clearly haven't taken any time to familiarise yourself with our club since the American takeover. So your responses don't hold much weight with you being clearly uninformed.

We'll spend a shit ton, sell none of our key players (one big pro about being the richest EFL club) and Mckenna will be here. Would love to see us go back to back promotions but I think we'll have to settle for playoffs first time around. Bookmark the post.
Please educate me how you are the richest EFL club....When you have just posted losses of 14m
Is Barrie Owl your accountant?

Millerbri

Reaction score
Supports
Rotherham United

I have read quite a few posts on the League 1 forum as I like to keep in touch as we are never really to too far away from making a return ourselves.

A fair few seasoned, reasonable posters have commented on Ipswich fans total sense of entitlement and arrogance over the season.

I am inclined to agree with them given your posts, I was always a sympathiser of your club's and fans plight given your lack of success in the last 2 decades.

It seems your arrogance was just having a little nap, I'm sure many posters on here were happy for your success initially, now like me they probably hope you crash and burn.

BarrieOwl

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Apologies it is late, genuinely been busy work wise and start a new role Tuesday but congratulations to Ipswich and Plymouth, fully deserved, we somehow managed to blow it at the business end.

UppaTowen_ITFC

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
Apologies it is late, genuinely been busy work wise and start a new role Tuesday but congratulations to Ipswich and Plymouth, fully deserved, we somehow managed to blow it at the business end.
Thanks.

Feel for your fans somewhat. It’s very Ipswich to offer some hope of a new dawn and then ir go tits up so I was fully us to blow it. Shame one of the three had to miss out but heres hoping you go up in the playoffs as we’ve been by far the best three teams.

UppaTowen_ITFC

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
I have read quite a few posts on the League 1 forum as I like to keep in touch as we are never really to too far away from making a return ourselves.

A fair few seasoned, reasonable posters have commented on Ipswich fans total sense of entitlement and arrogance over the season.

I am inclined to agree with them given your posts, I was always a sympathiser of your club's and fans plight given your lack of success in the last 2 decades.

It seems your arrogance was just having a little nap, I'm sure many posters on here were happy for your success initially, now like me they probably hope you crash and burn.
It’s always unwise to judge a fan base on one poster though I often find. You had a perfectly balanced convo with me but you seem to have skipped that in order to paint us all as arrogant. In reality, the majority of us are just enjoying the ride.

Crazy to think for me as someone who’s been going hope and away for the last 10 years since I was an early teen, this is the first bit of success we’ve had.

UppaTowen_ITFC

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
Please educate me how you are the richest EFL club....When you have just posted losses of 14m
Is Barrie Owl your accountant?
You realise most teams make a loss don’t you. Almost all EFL teams would have made a loss because footballers are hugely expensive and football clubs don’t make money unless you’re in the premier league receiving hundreds of millions in Asian TV rights?

The outgoings are just more than the incomings for us as is the same for the majority. That doesn’t change that our owners are massively rich and we’ve the money there if required

BarrieOwl

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
You realise most teams make a loss don’t you. Almost all EFL teams would have made a loss because footballers are hugely expensive and football clubs don’t make money unless you’re in the premier league receiving hundreds of millions in Asian TV rights?

The outgoings are just more than the incomings for us as is the same for the majority. That doesn’t change that our owners are massively rich and we’ve the money there if required

Unless you have parachute monies you're not allowed to be rich in the championship

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
For what its worth you was the best team in the league until Ipswich did there business in January
Plymouth Exceptional and one from the play-offs is a hard call

If we dont go up i would like you to join Ipswich and Plymouth

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton

If you cannot run at a profit you are not rich basic economics.
I get that your owners main income is through pension Investment and they have plenty money to invest.
They are gambling that they get to the premier league then flip you at a large profit.
They are not in this to own you and lose money each year........If it goes wrong there may be no Ipswich town in the near future can you not see that?????

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Unless you have parachute monies you're not allowed to be rich in the championship
Agreed the Championship is a money cesspit for most. Average wages around the 15k mark
And no way of breaking even..............This league is killing teams

Millerbri

Reaction score
Supports
Rotherham United
It’s always unwise to judge a fan base on one poster though I often find. You had a perfectly balanced convo with me but you seem to have skipped that in order to paint us all as arrogant. In reality, the majority of us are just enjoying the ride.

Crazy to think for me as someone who’s been going hope and away for the last 10 years since I was an early teen, this is the first bit of success we’ve had.
Apologies you are right I should have put some Ipswich posters, but I think it's fair to say that certain posters could be a little more modest.

Tom_ITFC

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
Well done Plymouth, very much deserved!

A cracking season, can’t believe we’ve managed top two after our poor run, points deficit and run in since February. I doubt we’ll have a season like this in a long time! Gutted we didn’t get the 100 points when it was so close at the end though!

Really excited for next season and hopefully we can continue to move forward.

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
Well done Plymouth and welcome to the 100 club.

A club for only the elite L1 sides, no pretenders.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Fantastic support today for Plymouth for a stupid kick off time. They were rightly applauded off the pitch. Any team to achieve over 100 points is unbelievable really.

Our chairwoman said she hopes that one day soon that will be us. She'd better get the cheque book out or get some investment in as I think we'll be going the other way!

LeonTheGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Plymouth Argyle Football Club
Fantastic support today for Plymouth for a stupid kick off time. They were rightly applauded off the pitch. Any team to achieve over 100 points is unbelievable really.

Our chairwoman said she hopes that one day soon that will be us. She'd better get the cheque book out or get some investment in as I think we'll be going the other way!
Still on the coach home, approaching Exeter. Alarm went off at 2:30am this morning for a 3:30am leave from Home Park.

What a touch of class from your club and fans once the game finished this afternoon. Applauding our lads off, guard of honour, some nice words from your chairwoman and then playing all the tunes for us to go mental. Really appreciated and won’t be forgotten.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Still on the coach home, approaching Exeter. Alarm went off at 2:30am this morning for a 3:30am leave from Home Park.

What a touch of class from your club and fans once the game finished this afternoon. Applauding our lads off, guard of honour, some nice words from your chairwoman and then playing all the tunes for us to go mental. Really appreciated and won’t be forgotten.
Well done does not matter about next season ..........Enjoy the ride

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Congrats on the title win Plymouth fans, brilliant season for you.

PlymouthCasual

Reaction score
Supports
Plymouth Argyle
Yeah no animosity to both Ipswich and Wednesday. Three bloody good sides this year and happy to be associated with such great clubs.

Port Vale, been great hosts all day and alot of mutual respect shown. All the best for next season and thanks again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!