Tues 18th/Sat 22nd fixtures

codaplenty

Reaction score
Supports
Fleetwood
They were apparently celebrating winning the 1FF mid-table trophy ;)

Seriously though, although it wasn’t that eventful I thought both sides battled well. You had more of it, but lacked a bit of cutting edge. Silly booking for Rooney, he’s got 19 (!) this season apparently.
Nice one mate, Rooney has been one of our players of the season but certainly has a 'wild streak' about him. Great to have in the team and until recently our leading goal scorer

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
I see no issue with you staying up at all if you play like last night. When you got down and played it, you looked like a decent team, it was just some of the tactics that pissed me off but gotta do what you've gotta do.

Totally understood, we’ve done it before but not to that degree last night and I would definitely agree Stone in goal was sailing close to the wind from the start of the game.

We’ll see on Saturday. In a way last night nothing to lose and what I think was near a 28k crowd (which is an insane number midweek by the way) you should be able to get up for that. At home on Saturday against Bristol Rovers will be telling how they apply themselves. Stick to being disciplined and have the right workrate I think we’ll get the result but seen this before with Vale.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We will be up for Saturday, played very well the last 2 games and had 2 promotion chasing teams waste time early doors, yet only got 1 point from them. Our trouble is we have all the possession but don't create many clear cut chances and are always likely to make a mistake at the back (last night Quansah was to blame)

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Totally understood, we’ve done it before but not to that degree last night and I would definitely agree Stone in goal was sailing close to the wind from the start of the game.

We’ll see on Saturday. In a way last night nothing to lose and what I think was near a 28k crowd (which is an insane number midweek by the way) you should be able to get up for that. At home on Saturday against Bristol Rovers will be telling how they apply themselves. Stick to being disciplined and have the right workrate I think we’ll get the result but seen this before with Vale.
Key thing Saturday is wanting it more, the fans will be bang up for it now and we can't have any half arsed performances, if a side with nothing to play for wants it more then huge questions should be asked, these next two we need to be at it 100%. If we lose by quality fair enough, if as a few times recently we've lost due to not wanting it as much as the opposition then it will be very toxic.

Sounds like they've had a lot of meetings in the hotel and talked about fighting for each other and we saw that last night, lots of slapping each others backs and stuff, lets hope it continues... win Saturday job's done and we can move on.

GeneralLee

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford
Well, the xG tells us it should have been a 2-0 win to Oxford. As I said, an excellent chance to win. You just didn't take it.
In fairness I wasn’t far off. The same number of points were taken (even if I was being facetious).

We can’t score. We also aren’t tight enough to keep clean sheets to win games 1-0. It’s what gets sides relegated and we aren’t going to solve the issue before the season end.

By the way, Marlon Pack I thought was excellent. One of the only players that really stood out who looked like they really wanted it.

UppaTowen_ITFC

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
We wouldn't get that at vale park we get nothing and get cheated everytime. You get loads of penalties because your a big club we get sod all cos were the smallest club in the league.
This season penalties received:
- Port Vale 6
- Ipswich 5

CTFCfan99

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham
With no time wasting, it is a funny one. A team can do it when it’s level and the ref brushes it over but as soon as you go ahead, if the winning team tries it, a booking is given much more easily.

This kind of inconsistency is one of my biggest irks, happens all the time. Against Exeter a few weeks back at 1-0 up our keeper got booked for timewasting as soon as he hesitated with a goal kick, despite taking what was actually a pretty normal amount of time to take it (granted he is usually a massive timewaster, but not on this occasion).

5 minutes later an Exeter player takes an absolute age over a throw-in but because they're 1-0 down he's not booked for timewasting.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
This season penalties received:
- Port Vale 6
- Ipswich 5

We are not the smallest club in the league either, pretty mid level.

Surprised we've had 6, but in fairness 3 of those occurred in 2 games (after 73 without one!) and one of the 6 we didn't want!

We just don't seem to get the type we concede much, like the Worrall incident first half which would have gone for you had it been the other way,

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
This kind of inconsistency is one of my biggest irks, happens all the time. Against Exeter a few weeks back at 1-0 up our keeper got booked for timewasting as soon as he hesitated with a goal kick, despite taking what was actually a pretty normal amount of time to take it (granted he is usually a massive timewaster, but not on this occasion).

5 minutes later an Exeter player takes an absolute age over a throw-in but because they're 1-0 down he's not booked for timewasting.
That's the issue isn't it, Burton and Accrington were terrible for it against us and nothing got done, Stoney gets told to move a ball by the lino and gets booked by the referee last night!

Overall better rules that are consistent need to come into force, last night was the first time we've really done it and as unpleasant as it is everyone does it to us so we are at a disadvantage if we dont until the laws change on it.

HutchECFC

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter
Average first 75 minutes, unreal last 15.
But Derby done what the good teams do, and ground out a result when needed.

Still hope Joe Wildsmith does his ACL in training, mind.

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
Bolton fans. How the fuck did he miss that chance at the end ? Didn’t look that bad when I was there but looks terrible on the tv.
Was a good game thought.
How did you get on with our dark arts?

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town

Whilst I agree with your main point - I think it's clear Luke Southwood has a reputation now so it really doesn't matter with him.

It was noticeable though that in the Ipswich game, their fans were booing at 0-0 if Luke didn't take the goal-kick within 4/5 seconds of getting the ball from behind the goal. Funnily enough they were quite quiet when Walton was stalling when they were 1-0 up.

Every team is a shithouse team at this level in some way, shape or form. Some are undoubtedly worse than others, we have certainly been worse than at any other time before this season, but if a team is 1-0 up you can bet your life they are going to shithouse as much as possible.

K-Win

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
In fairness I wasn’t far off. The same number of points were taken (even if I was being facetious).

We can’t score. We also aren’t tight enough to keep clean sheets to win games 1-0. It’s what gets sides relegated and we aren’t going to solve the issue before the season end.

By the way, Marlon Pack I thought was excellent. One of the only players that really stood out who looked like they really wanted it.
Pack could likely have stayed in the Championship this season but we managed to appeal to his emotions in wanting to play for his hometown club. He's very driven, and has often been visibly irked when others haven't hit his standards. Along with Joe Morrell he's had long stints out through injury and suspension which has contributed to our up and down season.

Obviously, your season has been very much more down than up. Is there a sense that increasing Brannagan's contract to deter Championship interest has weakened other areas of the team or am I wide of the mark? As good as he is it would seem from the outside that you've lacked quality in defence and attack this season.

Andy Proctor

Reaction score
Supports
port vale
We got promoted last season without getting a penalty and I'd say every season we concede more penalties than we get and that's wether were 4th in the league or bottom of the league.

As for Saturday's match we will put the effort in again but still find some way to lose it. 2 wins in 19 games and losing has become a habit. Even if we are 2 nil up with 5 minutes to go we will still find a way of losing the match with conceding a penalty, red card, crap defending and poor defending. 5 penalties conceded in 7 matches and 4 red cards in 5 games isn't good enough either.

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We got promoted last season without getting a penalty and I'd say every season we concede more penalties than we get and that's wether were 4th in the league or bottom of the league.

As for Saturday's match we will put the effort in again but still find some way to lose it. 2 wins in 19 games and losing has become a habit. Even if we are 2 nil up with 5 minutes to go we will still find a way of losing the match with conceding a penalty, red card, crap defending and poor defending. 5 penalties conceded in 7 matches and 4 red cards in 5 games isn't good enough either.

Paul Coutts wont be there to boss the ref this time. :bg:
I think we will give a good account of ourselves as we have these past 4 games, whether that will be enough is another matter.
Taylor and Harrison should be up for it at least. Seems like you did well at portman Road last night which is the one place (well maybe 2 inc Barnsley) this season where we have been truly schooled.

Last edited:

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Paul Coutts wont be there this time to boss the ref this time. :bg:
I think we will give a good account of ourselves as we have these past 4 games, whether that will be enough is another matter.
Taylor and Harrison should be up for it at least. Seems like you did well at portman Road last night which is the one place (well maybe 2 inc Barnsley) this season where we have been truly schooled.
The bonus of having plenty banned is at least some will be fresh on their return at the weekend! Ojo coming back is a big boost as we may be without Pett who was injured last night. A youth winger went in midfield for his debut though and was our man of the match so Plant might get another go, he was outstanding against the likes of Sammy Morsy (maybe he will follow in his footsteps as he's probably the last decent one to come out of our youth set up).

The issue we have and maybe yourselves is we seem to really up our game against the big boys, none of them have schooled us really but then get bumped by the lower sides!

Neither Taylor nor Harrison started last night so have to see how we set up., Crosby likes the 3-4-3 and in fairness we looked good with that against Oxford and last night, in fact the game went away from us when we went back to DC's 3-5-2

I would be surprised if Taylor starts, might go Ellis as a lone man with Wilson and Butterworth the wide two.

Last edited:

BRFC_Gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The bonus of having plenty banned is at least some will be fresh on their return at the weekend! Ojo coming back is a big boost as we may be without Pett who was injured last night. A youth winger went in midfield for his debut though and was our man of the match so Plant might get another go, he was outstanding against the likes of Sammy Morsy (maybe he will follow in his footsteps as he's probably the last decent one to come out of our youth set up).

The issue we have and maybe yourselves is we seem to really up our game against the big boys, none of them have schooled us really but then get bumped by the lower sides!

Neither Taylor nor Harrison started last night so have to see how we set up., Crosby likes the 3-4-3 and in fairness we looked good with that against Oxford and last night, in fact the game went away from us when we went back to DC's 3-5-2

I would be surprised if Taylor starts, might go Ellis as a lone man with Wilson and Butterworth the wide two.
Interesting, I think we play better against teams with 3 at the back especially when we have a back 4 with attacking full backs that can exploit the spaces down the flanks.
Taylor Snake never seems to play well against us when there has been a crowd (maybe the abuse secretly gets to him ?) so might be beneficial not to play him or at least start him.
Honestly couldnt predict the result, cant even predict the team or formation these days - the good thing about Barton is if thngs are going right he isnt afraid to make H/T changes and more often than not it works and always gives us a chance.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Interesting, I think we play better against teams with 3 at the back especially when we have a back 4 with attacking full backs that can exploit the spaces down the flanks.
Taylor Snake never seems to play well against us when there has been a crowd (maybe the abuse secretly gets to him ?) so might be beneficial not to play him or at least start him.
Honestly couldnt predict the result, cant even predict the team or formation these days - the good thing about Barton is if thngs are going right he isnt afraid to make H/T changes and more often than not it works and always gives us a chance.
Guess it depends on a few factors, your done now for the season so always that on the beach performance that can come out, may change a couple of things or blood some younger lads.

With us, it depends on the reaction to DC going, if its like last night great, but that could just be it was "against all odds us v the world" type of situation at Ipswich.

Need to win really but if MK lose a draw would probably do us, if we can be 4 points better off than MK at 5pm Saturday I would think we are probably safe.

Arbury

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge united
Onto Plymouth away which will obviously be as tough as it gets, would be interested in what Plymouth fans think of the game, do you feel like it’s must win for yourselves?

We’ll come to frustrate and unsurprisingly hit on the break.

KTF.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
All Cambridge aren't we?
200w.gif

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Wycombe for us, who we seemed to do ok against pre-Ainsworth but not at all when Ainsworth was there. Not sure if their style has changed since he left but either way it'll be a tough test and a game they need three points from.

Rushworth will be back after his one game ban and we're hopeful Mandroiu and House will recover having sat out Tuesday's game they're three big players to have back, the latter two giving us a bit of something up front.

LeonTheGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Plymouth Argyle Football Club
Onto Plymouth away which will obviously be as tough as it gets, would be interested in what Plymouth fans think of the game, do you feel like it’s must win for yourselves?

We’ll come to frustrate and unsurprisingly hit on the break.

KTF.
Absolutely must win. Every game now is must win. If we win our next 3 games, all at home, we will be promoted. If not sooner should results go our way.

We really need a nice early goal, because as you said, you’ll be coming down here to frustrate us. Don’t blame you, any team would do it in your position.

geg1992

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town
Huge game against Peterborough. An away day I really enjoy as they have a nice area pre-match for drinks etc by the river.

I would take a draw at this stage. The pressure is all on Sheff Wed really.

If we win, I will feel really confident going into the last 3 games, but need to be realistic here, I've seen too much heartbreak in my years being an Ipswich fan.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Sorry Laker it's nothing personal, I really enjoyed my trip to the Abbey last season, and I'd probably rather Oxford or MK go down, but it's dog eat dog at the moment and we're not mathematically safe yet.

bigfatron

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Cheltenham are safe - especially when you beat Oxford for us :)

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Sorry Laker it's nothing personal, I really enjoyed my trip to the Abbey last season, and I'd probably rather Oxford or MK go down, but it's dog eat dog at the moment and we're not mathematically safe yet.
It was faux outrage but obviously a completely unacceptable position for you take. ;-)

GeneralLee

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford
Pack could likely have stayed in the Championship this season but we managed to appeal to his emotions in wanting to play for his hometown club. He's very driven, and has often been visibly irked when others haven't hit his standards. Along with Joe Morrell he's had long stints out through injury and suspension which has contributed to our up and down season.

Obviously, your season has been very much more down than up. Is there a sense that increasing Brannagan's contract to deter Championship interest has weakened other areas of the team or am I wide of the mark? As good as he is it would seem from the outside that you've lacked quality in defence and attack this season.
Money isn't an issue. Our owners are absolutely loaded, but distant.

The people they've put in charge boast experience of working for Inter Milan and Man United. However they themselves also appear distant and have not delivered as we'd have hoped. One of them is at the club day-to-day and despite having held senior roles at times feels inadequete.

We currently have the biggest wage budget in the history of the club and it's been spent atrociously. Lots of issues have lingered over the last 12-18 months but it escalated in the summer when Karl Robinson spent pre-season patching up his marriage rather than focusing on transfers, panicked and proceeded to sign a lot of not very good players on eye-watering contracts when we got desperate. Josh Murphy allegedly got a signing bonus of circa £200k. He won't, but he should retire of get help. He's been the worst of the lot. We are subsequently tied up with lots of useless footballers for the next few seasons as a result on massive salaries.

If (and frankly it's not a consideration we've had for a very long time) we got to the Championship the club would comfortably compete financially. The execution shouldn't be as hard as we are making it.

Even more uniquely, the size of the staff across the club is on par with most Premier League clubs. Yet the execution of strategy and spend is alarming. We still don't have basic hires across the club, yet have so many staff despite this.

The whole situation is needless, lacking focus and undoubtedly avoidable.

denzel ecfc

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City
According to Caldwell we could be without Nombe, Stanno, Mitchell, Scott, and Sweeney. Our only striker is an 18 year old who was playing for Bath three weeks ago.
Should be fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazzer
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!