What is your worst ever day supporting your team?

rudebwoyben

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
It's wasn't any of our relegation days, but the season after we first went back down to the Conference and we lost 3-0 at home to Farnborough on a Tuesday night in February in front of about 700 people. We had only taken 1 point from 5 games and we were looking like a side heading straight through the division and down to the Ryman. As low a feeling as I've had leaving a ground.

Darkest before the dawn and all that, Peter Shreeves came in the following week and we finished the season strongly and three years later we were champions.
Darn it, you beat me to it as I would have chosen this match too! You omitted the fact that much of the second half was played in a blizzard, which added further to the feeling of absolute doom and despair around the club. Still's last match in charge of us too.

Flaxman's Alibi

Reaction score
Supports
Tubby Evans Embalming Army
This thread will definitely be determined by whether your club has 'suffered the depths' or not. As fans of fellow Conference scarred clubs will understand, you have never felt that sheer hollowness of despair regarding your football club until you have witnessed the horror of taking a beating against a club that you can't find on a map, in front of a visiting support of 8 and it's been confirmed that your new signing (who only a fortnight earlier smiled that he was 'thrilled to sign for a massive club for this level') is up there amongst the worst players who has ever had the honour to wear your clubs jersey.

When you trudge out of your emptier than ever stadium, missing more faces who have abandoned your non-league club, it's invariably raining and the car won't start and you'll sit there soaked, your kids look across at you with that look in their eye and the proper soul-searching will begin.

There's no distinguishing between all of those games that remind you of that. They're all the footballing equivalent of losing a close family member or a best friend; and they certainly have no comparison to any Football League annihilation against your fiercest rival, or a Play Off Final loss.

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Laker is spot on. That infamous 5-0 defeat to Histon doesn't even deserve a mention afaic as it was a meaningless cup game. Yeah it was a derby game but still not enough to make it as the worst day ever for a U's fan.

Laker's also right about that Torquay Wembley Final defeat, it felt much worse than the final the year prior to that against Exeter. While a Play off final defeat is always disappointing, I wasn't too optimistic that we would beat Exeter as I thought they had a very decent side (to be completely honest, I thought they had a stronger side than we did at the time), but it was the other way round when it came to Torquay. I was so confident going into that match so I was completely devastated when they beat us quite comfortably.

Several other games deserve a mention too beside that 2004/05 Rochdale one. Back in 1993 we went to West Ham with us needing a win to stay up and WHU needing a win to go up. They beat us so we were down, but that wasn't the worst of it. The worst was that for a lot of us it meant that the dream was most probably over and so it proved to be as we never made the Championship again.

The 1994/95 season brings back bad memories too, and not just because we went down again, but also because for the first and only time in the league's history, 5 sides were to be relegated from L1 to L2 that year, and guess who finished in 20th place that year :ffs:

Football Purist

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
This times a million.
I'm not surprised.
I remember seeing that result in the paper and thinking that's gotta be as low as it could ever get for a Camb Utd fan,surely.
If,in the days of Alan Biley,Steve Spriggs,etc.,and competing in the Second Division someone would have suggested years later you'd be getting dicked five-zilch by the minor league village outfit from the outskirts of Cambridge in a full on competitve game you'd have no doubt said 'not a chance in hell'.

Pliny Harris

Frightened Inmate #2
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
The Provisional Brotherhood
Mine, for similar reasons is a memory of losing out on promotion rather than of relegation.

It's 2008, I'm living in the European capital of culture, points are being deducted left right and centre and Carlisle United are enjoying their second season in League One, and in joyous contrast to the despair we felt just three years prior at relegation from the Football League, we have now reached the League One play-offs. Actually that in itself was a bit of a comedown as we had been close to securing an automatic place with a month to spare before a collapse of form saw Notts Forest nick second place from us (Swansea were champions).

So we ended up finishing 4th, but like you say, the feeling of losing out over, even a period of a couple of weeks, isn't as crushing as what was to come, and it was difficult to completely dampen the optimism we felt from simply being where we were in the league. This was the highest we'd ever finished in my time supporting United, the vast majority of which (at least the parts I have strong memories of) had been spend being that team that escaped relegation from Division 3 every sesason.

I don't travel to Elland Road for the first leg, as I'm a bit short on cash, but I do watch it live at a friends house. We dominate them and lead 2-0, I can feel the excitement that we're going to make up for missing out on automatic promotion and start to mentally prepare for the Championship, or a trip to Wembley at any rate, but I'd be confident of going up against either Doncaster or Southend in the final since we were 2-0 up at Elland Road (Leeds would have finished second by a significant margin had they not had a points deduction so they were biggest scalp in the playoffs). This celebratory mood is only slightly knocked when deep deep into injury time (the 96th minute I think) Leeds grab a goal back. After all, we have two away goals and the second leg will be played at fortress Brunton.

I do go to Brunton Park, of course, for the second-leg, and Leeds take a first-half lead. This does create a bit of tension, and my memory is a bit fuzzy but I think we were still pretty confident of them not getting another, especially as the game edged towards conclusion, we would be going through on away goals and we must have looked pretty comfortable.

Then disaster, late into injury time, again, up pops Jonny Howson to get Leeds' second and dash our promotion dreams. That moment there is the worst I've ever felt as a football fan.

To compound things, since I was heading back down to Liverpool after the game, what promised to be a long and depressing drive already was made worse by the fact that a minibus full of Leeds fans spotted the little Carlisle shirt in my rear window as we joined the motorway and kept pace with me all the way down to Lancaster. If I sped up, they sped up. If I slowed down, they slowed down. They overtook me several times, jeering and flagging me off as they moved into the lane in front of me, then slowed down until I went past them just so they could do it again.

Despondent, frustrated and heartbroken, I pulled into Forton services. I didn't want food, or the toilet, I just wanted away from them. Thankfully they didn't follow me, but as I went to McDonald's for a coffee I was spotted, still wearing my shirt, by another coachload of Leeds fans, who instantly started chanting towards me.

Happily, Leeds went on to lose to Doncaster in the final (if anyone ever wonders why I seem to have a soft spot for Donny, this is why, they were a team also on a journey from the conference to the championship and I was much happier to see their journey fulfilled than I would have been to see Leeds promoted). To this day Leeds are the only club who I would happily see go out of existence and if they were to do a Scarborough and collapse so disastrously they were left, not simply stuck in non-league but without a club to support at all I would just say, 'good riddance, maybe try rugby league' (and I wouldn't even wish that on MK Dons fans who aren't personally to blame for the formation of their club).

First class post.

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Laker is spot on. That infamous 5-0 defeat to Histon doesn't even deserve a mention afaic as it was a meaningless cup game. Yeah it was a derby game but still not enough to make it as the worst day ever for a U's fan.

Laker's also right about that Torquay Wembley Final defeat, it felt much worse than the final the year prior to that against Exeter. While a Play off final defeat is always disappointing, I wasn't too optimistic that we would beat Exeter as I thought they had a very decent side (to be completely honest, I thought they had a stronger side than we did at the time), but it was the other way round when it came to Torquay. I was so confident going into that match so I was completely devastated when they beat us quite comfortably.

Several other games deserve a mention too beside that 2004/05 Rochdale one. Back in 1993 we went to West Ham with us needing a win to stay up and WHU needing a win to go up. They beat us so we were down, but that wasn't the worst of it. The worst was that for a lot of us it meant that the dream was most probably over and so it proved to be as we never made the Championship again.

The 1994/95 season brings back bad memories too, and not just because we went down again, but also because for the first and only time in the league's history, 5 sides were to be relegated from L1 to L2 that year, and guess who finished in 20th place that year :ffs:
I was at the West Ham relegation too. We weren't actually that bad that season and the fact we were even down there was a bit of a weird one. Was sad as it meant the second tier adventure was over but I felt the play off defeat the year before more.

The Histon game was in the middle of a general depressing period and, as you say, it wasn't a competitive game. I never got hung up on the Histon "derby" and that result was obviously bad but it was the FA Trophy ffs.

I can remember us getting dicked 5-0 two weeks on the trot and we were heading down to regional football in Quinn's first year which was a darker point

Football Purist

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
I was at the West Ham relegation too. We weren't actually that bad that season and the fact we were even down there was a bit of a weird one. Was sad as it meant the second tier adventure was over but I felt the play off defeat the year before more.

The Histon game was in the middle of a general depressing period and, as you say, it wasn't a competitive game. I never got hung up on the Histon "derby" and that result was obviously bad but it was the FA Trophy ffs.

I can remember us getting dicked 5-0 two weeks on the trot and we were heading down to regional football in Quinn's first year which was a darker point
Don't buy that.The FA Trophy is most certainly a competitive game.

Luke_ciderhead

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Mine, for similar reasons is a memory of losing out on promotion rather than of relegation.

It's 2008, I'm living in the European capital of culture, points are being deducted left right and centre and Carlisle United are enjoying their second season in League One, and in joyous contrast to the despair we felt just three years prior at relegation from the Football League, we have now reached the League One play-offs. Actually that in itself was a bit of a comedown as we had been close to securing an automatic place with a month to spare before a collapse of form saw Notts Forest nick second place from us (Swansea were champions).

So we ended up finishing 4th, but like you say, the feeling of losing out over, even a period of a couple of weeks, isn't as crushing as what was to come, and it was difficult to completely dampen the optimism we felt from simply being where we were in the league. This was the highest we'd ever finished in my time supporting United, the vast majority of which (at least the parts I have strong memories of) had been spend being that team that escaped relegation from Division 3 every sesason.

I don't travel to Elland Road for the first leg, as I'm a bit short on cash, but I do watch it live at a friends house. We dominate them and lead 2-0, I can feel the excitement that we're going to make up for missing out on automatic promotion and start to mentally prepare for the Championship, or a trip to Wembley at any rate, but I'd be confident of going up against either Doncaster or Southend in the final since we were 2-0 up at Elland Road (Leeds would have finished second by a significant margin had they not had a points deduction so they were biggest scalp in the playoffs). This celebratory mood is only slightly knocked when deep deep into injury time (the 96th minute I think) Leeds grab a goal back. After all, we have two away goals and the second leg will be played at fortress Brunton.

I do go to Brunton Park, of course, for the second-leg, and Leeds take a first-half lead. This does create a bit of tension, and my memory is a bit fuzzy but I think we were still pretty confident of them not getting another, especially as the game edged towards conclusion, we would be going through on away goals and we must have looked pretty comfortable.

Then disaster, late into injury time, again, up pops Jonny Howson to get Leeds' second and dash our promotion dreams. That moment there is the worst I've ever felt as a football fan.

To compound things, since I was heading back down to Liverpool after the game, what promised to be a long and depressing drive already was made worse by the fact that a minibus full of Leeds fans spotted the little Carlisle shirt in my rear window as we joined the motorway and kept pace with me all the way down to Lancaster. If I sped up, they sped up. If I slowed down, they slowed down. They overtook me several times, jeering and flagging me off as they moved into the lane in front of me, then slowed down until I went past them just so they could do it again.

Despondent, frustrated and heartbroken, I pulled into Forton services. I didn't want food, or the toilet, I just wanted away from them. Thankfully they didn't follow me, but as I went to McDonald's for a coffee I was spotted, still wearing my shirt, by another coachload of Leeds fans, who instantly started chanting towards me.

Happily, Leeds went on to lose to Doncaster in the final (if anyone ever wonders why I seem to have a soft spot for Donny, this is why, they were a team also on a journey from the conference to the championship and I was much happier to see their journey fulfilled than I would have been to see Leeds promoted). To this day Leeds are the only club who I would happily see go out of existence and if they were to do a Scarborough and collapse so disastrously they were left, not simply stuck in non-league but without a club to support at all I would just say, 'good riddance, maybe try rugby league' (and I wouldn't even wish that on MK Dons fans who aren't personally to blame for the formation of their club).

What an absolute bunch of wankers those Leeds fan were and it sums their fanbase up sadly. Fair play for keeping cool, Id have lost my shit if I was you. Seing them crying on the tele a week later af Wembley must have been sweet!

We've never had things that bad in my lifetime. Losing in the 2004 playoff final to Brighton on my 21st birthday whilst I was living in Brighton at the time was absolutely horrific at the time but I knew we'd just go again the next season. Im greatful we've never suffered relegation out of the league, points deductions or the threat of bankrupcy in my time as a fan (I wasnt born in 82).

Last edited:

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
I'm not selling it but we won it by beating Gosport 4-0 in the final. Hardly a competition we hold in the highest regard..... Losing to Histon in it was not something I lost sleep over.

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
I am pretty phlegmatic about the ups and downs, but the one that hurts is Wembley, and that really because my boys were so miserable on the tube going back to their uncle's. As young kids they were despondent.

Football Purist

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
I'm not selling it but we won it by beating Gosport 4-0 in the final. Hardly a competition we hold in the highest regard..... Losing to Histon in it was not something I lost sleep over.
Well you should have.A five goal dicking by a local village.Come on Freddie-it's absolutely horrific.Even worse than losing to City.

les.gtfc

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Burton away, obviously.

I just stood on the the terraces numb watching all the idiots causing mayhem on the pitch.

At the end of the day we'd still have gone down if we'd won but the gutless performance from the players that day was a disgrace to the shirt they were wearing.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
I have to say that losing 5-0 to Histon must have been bad, I was gonna say it would be like us getting beat off Penrith in a competitive game, but even Penrith is a market town. I guess it would like us getting beat off a team from Dalston or some shit. It befuddles my mind to even consider the small local teams as opponents, to us they're just teams we play in friendlies and send players on loan to.

As for the scarring effect of being down the conference, I'm thankful that our time spent there wasn't too traumatic. The worst of it was simply that we started slow and dropped to mid-table at one point, and knew from an early stage we'd have to settle for the play-offs.

The only results that stand out in my memory as being shit were our first game down there where we played a goalless draw at home to Canvey Island, which was pretty horrific, and getting beat 1-0 at home to FGR in April (I had no idea at the time what exactly a Forest Green Rover was). We generally did OK against the one-man-and-his-dog outfits. I have looked back at our fixtures for that season and there was a pretty shit spell where we didn't win between the 18th of December and the 8th of March which must have been when we slid down the table and I remember that, but have little memory of the individual games. Somehow though for reasons that only exist in the conference, we played back-to-back league games against Stevenage in February/March and lost them both.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
If you ever find yourself in non league you will quickly understand the distain that most fans have for the FA Trophy!
If you make the Semi's or final you end up with 5 or 6 league games postponed and switched to Tuesday nights, or if the team you are due to play in the League has a Trophy replay thats another game to rearrange as the FA shitty Trophy takes priority over league games, absolute piss take.

Aber gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol rovers
There's been a few. THAT day against Mansfield was horrific. I feared for the future of my club and just wanted to dig a nice, big hole in which to die in.
Other "highlights" include losing at home to Chesham which was delightful. Getting battered by Altrincham. Hello there conference reality check and the most soul destroying 0-0 draw at Alfreton which I couldn't even dull by drinking because I had to drive two of my pisshead, dipshit friends home.
There's loads of others...

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
I suppose we didn't get the full Conny experience. The funny thing was we went down there with a bit of optimism, the relegation had felt inevitable for several seasons and certainly for almost the entirety of the season that we did go down, it was simply the most painful symptom of a disease we had been suffering with for a while, but we already had the cure, we had already got shot of Michael Knighton and while Roddy Collins certainly had done less than not-much to stave off the inevitable, Paul Simpson probably would have kept us up had he been given the whole season. The Conference was a bit of a culture-shock and it didn't always go to plan down there but despite a couple of scares the left me wondering if we might end up down there long-term, I still always felt we were a club going in the right direction.

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
At the moment it's every single day.

Losing to Scunthorpe without having a shot on target at Wembley was better than this. Losing on penalties after being 2-0 up against Rotherham at Wembley was better than this. The day I got nutted for standing up to one of our racist fans was better than this.

My club, the club I've followed since I was a callow 9 year old despite my growing up equidistant from three comparative giants, the club I've been to the ends of the fucking earth (well, Darlington on a Tuesday night) to watch, the club whose main fanzine I edited for years in a labour of pure love, the club whose badge I have tattooed on my arm, the club whose baby grow my 10 month old daughter is sleeping in as I type... is gone. Ripped asunder by an arrogant, ignorant lunatic with no regard for anything other than his own vanity. My fucking club.

I can feel it slipping through my fingers. Every day it drifts further away and I can do no more than grasp weakly at the dying embers of my passion as the last tendrils of smoke drift slowly away from the charred remains of what was once Leyton Orient Football Club.

Every single day.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
If you're a Pools fan, you've got so many candidates for this thread and so few for the best day.

I'll list a brief top five (not in any order) but we've had some soul destroying times that every poolie probably could name five more that'd be different from mine.

1. Getting mugged by Sheff Wed and the ref in the 2005 L1 play off final
2. Battering Bristol City at Ashton Gate in 2004 L1 play offs at Ashton Gate, taking the lead then conceding twice in injury time to lose, then getting spat at and goaded by City fans who'd invaded the pitch.
3. Drawing 1-1 with Port Vale in 2007 to confirm our relegation to L2 despite having virtually the same squad that had finished top 6 the previous two campaigns
4. The soul destroying 0-2 home reverse against Morecambe in 2014 that left us 11 points adrift at the bottom of L2
5. Losing 4-0 at Scunthorpe to confirm our promotion to L1 (we'd blown at 12 point lead at the top of L2 and spunked our chance of the title, thanks to pisshead Newell). The promotion was 'celebrated' with 1500 away fans booing and shouting abuse and the players arguing with the fans.
6. Any time we've played Stevenage (BONUS ENTRY)

oakroader

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
The playoff final defeat too Wimbledon hit me pretty hard. Remember being very down after that for a while. The penalties were a real shit way lose especially as there was nothing in the game, really could have gone either way. The York defeat didn't feel anywhere near as bad for me even though the winning goal in that one was more contentious we just didn't play as well as York on the day so it was easier to take. Or maybe I'd just reached acceptance by that point!

Our relegation to the conference wasn't too bad as we pretty much had a season to prepare ourselves for it and I think we all thought it would be a relatively nice short stay with some new grounds to visit. How wrong we were!

Before my time but I've heard that the FA Cup Semi final defeat to Everton was a tough one to take as well, perhaps some of the longer tenured Town fans on here like Oaky (Belize even??) might be able to shed some light on how bad that one was.
where do we start,considering my first game at the kennel was in 1967....
losing the last game against notts county when we were in the old first division which meant relegation just before the premiership started.
losing fa cup semis at villa park v everton who were a superb team and at white hart lane v wimbledon who were the underdogs at that time....
losing an fa cup semi final at wembley to chelsea..
losing the 2nd league cup final against notts forest
losing the simod cup against reading
worst of all was losing the right to play in europe after beating arsenal in the league cup due to the ban on english teams at that time.......sigh...........
oh what could have been for a team that once finished 7th in the top league in the world at that time!!

Last edited:

Richard Cranium

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
Twitter
@jallsop93
Think our relelgation to the Conference was always going to happen sooner or later but the season it did we were toss all season but managed to give ourselves a fighting chance. Recall beating Shrewsbury 3-1 then going into a home game v Rotherham. Dagenham were away at Darlo so we needed a Darlo favour as our final game was away at Dagenham. HT we were 0-0 and Darlington were 2-0 up. 45 later we'd lost to an absolute fluke goal and Dagenham had turned it round so they were safe. We were all but down that afternoon, On the bright side it was what was needed for Haslam to sell up and at least he got a smack off a fan that afternoon, Which he fully deserved.

2 more awful years followed, Remember being top of the Conference after our first 6 games then about 6 games later in the bottom 4. Our first manager lasted about 3/4 months and then we bring David Holdsworth in. Easily the worst time I've ever had watching Mansfield. We lose 5-2 to Wimbledon and he claimed one of our players put in the best performance he'd ever seen from a Conference player.

If I had to rate the Conference on trip advisor it would have to be a 1. Would have been 0 but Tamworth were down there and what a day out that is.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
There's definitely a difference between being in the Conference for one season and getting stuck down there for longer. When we were relegated, one of my best friends was a Shrewsbury fan, they were relegated the season before us and had been promoted straight back via the play-offs. He said at the time, 'you'll like it down there, you'll be winning games for a change, your crowds will go up, you'll be on the TV more often'. He was certainly right, as shit as it was to be a 'non-league outfit' and as depressing the occasions that hammered that fact home, there were positives. Anyone remember the conference TV website? Full highlights of your game within an hour or two of full-time each week.

Judge Dredd

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Being 0-4 down by half time at home to Watford was pretty traumatic for me, although I was only 9 at the time so perhaps not as traumatic as if I had been a bit older.

I think the second leg of the York play-off semi in our first season down in the Conference might win it for me. We'd been ripping the league apart for months prior and just fallen short of the autos in the last couple of weeks after leaving ourselves with too much to do. The first leg we'd been well on top, didn't score, and of course conceded the softest imaginable stoppage time goal to lose it. Still confident going in to the second leg as we were clearly a much better team over the season, but on the day we just didn't show up and lost again.

That feeling at the full time whistle was indescribable, the loss itself was just the final insult after all the pain and frustration of the previous years, the club nearly dying, the points deductions, the relegation to the Conference, and now the dream/expectation of an immediate return ripped away. And then to have to watch that frustration spill out on the pitch in such an embarrassing way after the full time whistle just underlined how fcuked the whole club felt at that point.

The Wimbledon loss the year after was seriously bad but the end of that first year just about tops it for me - possibly because I was more or less black out drunk by the time of the penalty shoot-out. I couldn't bring myself to watch the highlights of that to see what I couldn't remember for a good month afterwards, and when I eventually did I spent about ten minutes watching Jason Walker's header hit the inside of the post on loop for about ten minutes trying to figure out how it didn't go in (ultimately concluding that it was because god hated LTFC).

les.gtfc

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Aside from that Burton game, losing 6-0 at Luton in 1981/82 was pretty horrific.

The season before we had almost become the first team to go from Division 4 to Division 1 in consecutive season but just fell short (no play-offs back then) and we'd started the 81/82 season fairly well until we went to Luton (around this time of year I think). They absolutely murdered us 6-0 with a chap called Steve White getting 4. I can still remember the headlines in the local paper the next day "WHITE HOT". Luton had a superb team that year and ended up winning the league fairly comfortably to win promotion to the top flight. We on the other hand didn't win for another 17 games but just managed to stay up by 2 points at the end of the season. What made it even worse was that it pissed it down all game and it was an open away terrace at Luton back then.

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
There's definitely a difference between being in the Conference for one season and getting stuck down there for longer. When we were relegated, one of my best friends was a Shrewsbury fan, they were relegated the season before us and had been promoted straight back via the play-offs. He said at the time, 'you'll like it down there, you'll be winning games for a change, your crowds will go up, you'll be on the TV more often'. He was certainly right, as shit as it was to be a 'non-league outfit' and as depressing the occasions that hammered that fact home, there were positives. Anyone remember the conference TV website? Full highlights of your game within an hour or two of full-time each week.
Try getting stuck in it for nine years. You're grateful for a boring season in League 2 every single day, in fact you positively crave it.

I have a mate who is a Wrexham fan and I see a lot of me from a few years ago in his Facebook posts. You try to be positive but it's such a draining league to get stuck in.

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Being 0-4 down by half time at home to Watford was pretty traumatic for me, although I was only 9 at the time so perhaps not as traumatic as if I had been a bit older.

I think the second leg of the York play-off semi in our first season down in the Conference might win it for me. We'd been ripping the league apart for months prior and just fallen short of the autos in the last couple of weeks after leaving ourselves with too much to do. The first leg we'd been well on top, didn't score, and of course conceded the softest imaginable stoppage time goal to lose it. Still confident going in to the second leg as we were clearly a much better team over the season, but on the day we just didn't show up and lost again.

That feeling at the full time whistle was indescribable, the loss itself was just the final insult after all the pain and frustration of the previous years, the club nearly dying, the points deductions, the relegation to the Conference, and now the dream/expectation of an immediate return ripped away. And then to have to watch that frustration spill out on the pitch in such an embarrassing way after the full time whistle just underlined how fcuked the whole club felt at that point.

The Wimbledon loss the year after was seriously bad but the end of that first year just about tops it for me - possibly because I was more or less black out drunk by the time of the penalty shoot-out. I couldn't bring myself to watch the highlights of that to see what I couldn't remember for a good month afterwards, and when I eventually did I spent about ten minutes watching Jason Walker's header hit the inside of the post on loop for about ten minutes trying to figure out how it didn't go in (ultimately concluding that it was because god hated LTFC).

I said that Wimbledon shoot out loss for my worst moment but I think you are actually right here. That whole day was so bad I have activley tried to expunge it from mind, and obviously had until you brought it up!

eightiesrobin

Reaction score
Supports
Altrincham
Losing 3-2 at Colchester last season in the FA cup, after leading twice. It completely destroyed the season, we were relegated, now we're 3rd bottom in the level below :ffs:

What a shit drive home as well.

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
At the moment it's every single day.

Losing to Scunthorpe without having a shot on target at Wembley was better than this. Losing on penalties after being 2-0 up against Rotherham at Wembley was better than this. The day I got nutted for standing up to one of our racist fans was better than this.

My club, the club I've followed since I was a callow 9 year old despite my growing up equidistant from three comparative giants, the club I've been to the ends of the fucking earth (well, Darlington on a Tuesday night) to watch, the club whose main fanzine I edited for years in a labour of pure love, the club whose badge I have tattooed on my arm, the club whose baby grow my 10 month old daughter is sleeping in as I type... is gone. Ripped asunder by an arrogant, ignorant lunatic with no regard for anything other than his own vanity. My fucking club.

I can feel it slipping through my fingers. Every day it drifts further away and I can do no more than grasp weakly at the dying embers of my passion as the last tendrils of smoke drift slowly away from the charred remains of what was once Leyton Orient Football Club.

Every single day.
:( Agree with every every word.

You don't follow Leyton Orient and expect to win things, you at least expect dignity. That has been lost these last 2 years and is slowly getting even futher out of reach.

You don't hire managers for the sake of it and sack them whenever you want, you don't treat the fans like pieces of meat, you don't hire employees who cannot communicate with the fans properly - who run whenever they're confronted with a problem.

The people that run Leyton Orient are all ill-mannered c***, all of them.

Football Purist

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
:( Agree with every every word.

You don't follow Leyton Orient and expect to win things, you at least expect dignity. That has been lost these last 2 years and is slowly getting even futher out of reach.

You don't hire managers for the sake of it and sack them whenever you want, you don't treat the fans like pieces of meat, you don't hire employees who cannot communicate with the fans properly - who run whenever they're confronted with a problem.

The people that run Leyton Orient are all ill-mannered c***, all of them.
And less than 2 miles away West Ham are getting 57,000 every home game.Your situation is gonna take some turning round...and then some.
But I wish you luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
terrier17
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!