Saturday 16th September fixtures

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
We're a disgrace and I think time has to be up for Wade Elliott. Not just bad results but truly terrible performances aside from Barnsley.
We might actually go down without scoring a goal. Hell - it wouldn't be so bad to see us have a shot on goal!!!

codaplenty

Reaction score
Supports
Fleetwood
We might actually go down without scoring a goal. Hell - it wouldn't be so bad to see us have a shot on goal!!!
We are doing our best to keep you company, 3 home games so far no goals. Can you count hitting the woodwork as almost a goal?

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
A good point for us at Posh, they dominated large spells of the game possession wise, but we looked a threat on the counter attack and with a bit more care could've pinched an undeserved win.

Can see why Posh will batter a few teams, equally they go a bit too gung ho at times and leave spaces at the back, which we wasn't good enough to exploit.

We keep leaking goals from set plays, fell behind again to another one today after an even opening to the game.

Moomin

Reaction score
Supports
ECFC
Well, I can see why Cheltenham are bottom. They looked so devoid of any kind of confidence and idea. They basically just sat back and hoped to get a 0-0.

We had to be patient and after a 1st half where we dominated possession but didn’t test Southwood enough (despite a golden chance after 2 mins), we were much better in the second half.

I did start to think the goal would never get the goal. Somehow we managed to have 3 point blank headers saved by Southwood and hit the crossbar in one single attack. And then the most blatant handball from Sercombe for a penalty was somehow missed by the ref and lino. Luckily soon after, new signing Caleb Watts popped up with a good finish to ultimately win us the game.

Then we scored a second but was chalked off for offside, which I think it was, but for some reason the linesman took over 5 seconds of celebrations before he raised his flag.

Sinisalo did have to pull off a smart double save but otherwise we were rarely troubled. A good win and another clean sheet. Happy days.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Well, I can see why Cheltenham are bottom. They looked so devoid of any kind of confidence and idea. They basically just sat back and hoped to get a 0-0.

We had to be patient and after a 1st half where we dominated possession but didn’t test Southwood enough (despite a golden chance after 2 mins), we were much better in the second half.

I did start to think the goal would never get the goal. Somehow we managed to have 3 point blank headers saved by Southwood and hit the crossbar in one single attack. And then the most blatant handball from Sercombe for a penalty was somehow missed by the ref and lino. Luckily soon after, new signing Caleb Watts popped up with a good finish to ultimately win us the game.

Then we scored a second but was chalked off for offside, which I think it was, but for some reason the linesman took over 5 seconds of celebrations before he raised his flag.

Sinisalo did have to pull off a smart double save but otherwise we were rarely troubled. A good win and another clean sheet. Happy days.
We're not bottom

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Second season syndrome not an issue for you guys :bg:

To be honest there’s not that many of our promotion squad remaining with us. Too early yet though to read too much into things, there’s certain teams like Derby who while not firing yet I do expect Warne to get them doing it eventually.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
To be honest there’s not that many of our promotion squad remaining with us. Too early yet though to read too much into things, there’s certain teams like Derby who while not firing yet I do expect Warne to get them doing it eventually.
Derby strike me as doing the same thing as last year, a load of older pro’s who are bigger names but past their peak and ran out of gas.

We are playing the best football we have for a long time I guess and that midfield is unbelievably good considering we are #teamslikeportvale the recruitment has been incredibly smart this summer and for all their battering in January we have to credit them now.

Crosby is doing wonders he must be about 60% win record with us now over 30 games and seems to be adaptable in getting us to win in different ways, today against a side sat in we found a way, against good sides away we hit Charlton on the break, dug in against Oxford and took our chances so at the moment it’s promising signs.

That said the outstanding performer this season was actually here last season and that’s Funso Ojo, turned down Bolton last month, signed a new deal and was made vice captain and he’s been class in most games which in itself has allowed the likes of Arblaster and Chislett the freedom to perform.

A lot has to go for you, injuries notably but we have to enjoy the ride whilst it’s going and see where we end up, the key thing is getting those 50 points though as I keep saying and see how many games are left and what we do from there but the performances so far have been from a technical level some of the best we’ve put in since the Brian Horton side of Jan-May 2001.

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
Probably should have lost today even though Posh weren’t up to a great deal. First half was one-way traffic as we set up with a 3-5-2 system that was getting routinely exploited on both flanks. Shit goal to concede (from another cross/set piece, yawn) and scored the only time we got into their box. First time I’ve ever thought Wellens had set us up for a point; we were desperately low on energy and sat right off them.

Second half we reverted to our normal 4-3-3 and pressed them into several mistakes. Posh actually got seriously ragged for a while and their otherwise-silent fans got pretty annoyed. Posh still had enough chances to win it but Sol Brynn had a steady game and their final ball was often poor. Good laugh in an unusually vocal away end.

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
Alan Curbishley must have slept with the ref’s mum.

The worst officiating performance you’re likely to ever see. The hand ball penalty that never was is possibly the worst I’ve ever seen.

We weren’t great today but up against 14 men we did well.

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
I’m not normally one to waste breath about officials but today was another level.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Good game of football. Thought we were excellent first half and with a fox in the box it could have been 2 or 3-0. Second half went a bit flat until we made changes and then got a deserved winner.

Northampton went for the draw, which is understandable. Thought they were well organised and as usual physically capable. Their fans were excellent.

I think we know that this probably won't last, but we have some very good technical footballers and it shows. Amazing really considering the result on the first day.

Tallow

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Excellent point for Carlisle today.
Controlled the 1st half and battled in the 2nd half.
Lincoln had plenty of possession after their equaliser, but didn't really threaten us.
Well done Luke Plange on getting his first goal for us, he looked lively 1st half but was rightly subbed after getting his booking.
The ref was piss poor, wrong decisions all game.

Don Tonberry

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
I have mixed feelings about our draw today. Whilst it always feels good to score a 95th minute equaliser, it was the least we deserved.

Derby were poor and looked like they were going to be bailed out by a poor penalty decision. We'd outplayed them for the majority of the game but yet again our lack of clinical finishing meant we never made our superior play count.

We've got plenty to build on for Tuesday night's trip to Barnsley but if Derby continue to play like they did today, they'll be nowhere near the promotion picture.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Good point for us all things considered, and most would have taken that having seen the team sheet.

The news that House is out for up to 5 months and Walker at least 2 months has right royally fucked us. What's been a half decent start to the season now means we're going to be into December before we have a senior striker available. So frustrating to finally get two decent L1 strikers in the same squad and then this happens.

Not sure whether we've got the funds for a short term deal until January, but if we can do something then we need to have a think about it because moving the front three around all the time isn't going to work.

The Evil Dead

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Fully deserved win. That's 6 wins from 6 at home in league and cup, with 5 consecutive clean sheets.

Northampton were absolutely appalling, IMO. It was like playing Andorra B. Camped in their own half most the game and I think the 3 changed at half time summed their gameplay up completely. Big units on and get the 0-0.

However, on the flip side, I must credit their travelling support, who were absolutely fantastic. Vocally good, mixture of songs for once (most sides sing the same one or two) and backed their team brilliantly, given how woeful they were on the pitch.

Did manage a smile when we copied their song after our goal and mocked them with it. :D

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Have just seen the penalty incident again from yesterday. It’s absolutely disgraceful refereeing from Tom Nield (and his linesman to be fair). I could have a bit of sympathy if he’d thought it was outside of the box and gave a free kick - mistakes like that happen as we saw last week… but to not even give a foul when the Lincoln lad has completely wiped Maguire out is ridiculous.

The referees at L1 and L2 level are so poor it’s embarrassing.

folletto

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
I’m not normally one to waste breath about officials but today was another level.
Yeah same here, can generally accept the Ref gets the odd thing wrong and in general can accept we deserved to lose. Yesterday whilst I don't think we deserved to win, the ref got so many game changing decisions wrong. For the handball I can understand the ref may have his view blocked but the lino should have a direct line of sight for it, would have been a red as well for deliberate handball stopping a goalscoring chance...

Marked Ox

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
Happy with the win. 3 cracking goals as well.

91SPP

Reaction score
Supports
Derby County
An horrific game of ‘football’ played out between Portsmouth and Derby yesterday, two teams expected to up there come the end of the season which showed the quality of the league in broad terms.

Paul Warne has took a hammer to this Derby team, the fans are starting to really hate him as a manager and a person. Not sure what Clowes is waiting for, waiting for a run of games where we play sides with a fifth of our budget so we can put some wins together isn’t the answer. The Paul Warne experience is finished, just need someone brave enough to pull the plug rather than sleep on the job.

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
Yeah same here, can generally accept the Ref gets the odd thing wrong and in general can accept we deserved to lose. Yesterday whilst I don't think we deserved to win, the ref got so many game changing decisions wrong. For the handball I can understand the ref may have his view blocked but the lino should have a direct line of sight for it, would have been a red as well for deliberate handball stopping a goalscoring chance...

And as result of that awful decision, we now have a player with his head split open.

The officiating was abysmal, even at the end when we went to break, got fouled, he let it go on and blew the final whistle. Dreadful.

I didn’t think he was going to give that last penalty at first either. The one that was never a penalty according to Steve Evans :lol:

K-Win

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
I have mixed feelings about our draw today. Whilst it always feels good to score a 95th minute equaliser, it was the least we deserved.

Derby were poor and looked like they were going to be bailed out by a poor penalty decision. We'd outplayed them for the majority of the game but yet again our lack of clinical finishing meant we never made our superior play count.

We've got plenty to build on for Tuesday night's trip to Barnsley but if Derby continue to play like they did today, they'll be nowhere near the promotion picture.
I agree with the majority of this, but I thought it was a penalty. Yes, it came at Poole quickly but it ended up with his raised arm swatting the ball away. I'd have been disappointed not to get it had it been the other way round.

Not a great game overall but it would have been a travesty if we'd lost. We are certainly very resilient which bodes well for the season.

Zak Swanson was absolute quality and we are currently blessed with two excellent right backs. Poole was unlucky with the penalty but had another dominant performance. Robertson did really well in a more defensive role than he's used to alongside Pack, who was impressive again.

Liked the look of Terry Devlin when he came on. Missed an absolute sitter but then had a big hand in the equaliser. You can see he really wants to get into the six-yard box from midfield, which is something we've been lacking for a very long time. Interesting cameo from Tino Anjorin who seemed a bit bemused by it all, but hopefully he'll bed in and start to influence things in the coming weeks and months.

Last edited:

Don Tonberry

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
I agree with the majority of this, but I thought it was a penalty. Yes, it came at Poole quickly but it ended up with his raised arm swatting the ball away. I'd have been disappointed not to get it had it been the other way round.

Not a great game overall but it would have been a travesty if we'd lost. We are certainly very resilient which bodes well for the season.

The ball has hit Poole's leg and bounced onto his arm, there was nothing he could do to move his arm out of the way. It's contentious to say the least.

Our next two away games are Barnsley and Wigan and whilst I'd take a draw from both, I do think we need to be winning at least one of those to cement our promotion credentials.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
And as result of that awful decision, we now have a player with his head split open.

The officiating was abysmal, even at the end when we went to break, got fouled, he let it go on and blew the final whistle. Dreadful.

I didn’t think he was going to give that last penalty at first either. The one that was never a penalty according to Steve Evans :lol:

Did see a clip of Evans interview and seemed he wasted no time making it sound like Stevenage were hard done to by the ref. Also the impeccable source that is Evans did say you apparently have a £10m budget which I think might be news to a lot of people including Charlton.

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
Did see a clip of Evans interview and seemed he wasted no time making it sound like Stevenage were hard done to by the ref. Also the impeccable source that is Evans did say you apparently have a £10m budget which I think might be news to a lot of people including Charlton.

I watched it and it did give me a chuckle.

The fact he thought the referee in any way favoured us was funny enough but the £10m budget was the cherry on top.

He’s lucky he’s a half decent football manager because he’s a complete numbskull.

Trapdoor

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter
I dont think he's even a half decent manager. He plays the most negative anti-football known to man. It may be effective in the lower leagues but it's awful to watch and has lower success the higher up the pyramid you go.

He's the human embodiment of Stoke on a Tuesday night in December, nobody wants to experience it.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
An horrific game of ‘football’ played out between Portsmouth and Derby yesterday, two teams expected to up there come the end of the season which showed the quality of the league in broad terms.

Paul Warne has took a hammer to this Derby team, the fans are starting to really hate him as a manager and a person. Not sure what Clowes is waiting for, waiting for a run of games where we play sides with a fifth of our budget so we can put some wins together isn’t the answer. The Paul Warne experience is finished, just need someone brave enough to pull the plug rather than sleep on the job.
I still see both teams up there in the top 6 at the end. Both will be able to strengthen in January and Derby possibly with a new manager.

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
Fully deserved win. That's 6 wins from 6 at home in league and cup, with 5 consecutive clean sheets.

Northampton were absolutely appalling, IMO. It was like playing Andorra B. Camped in their own half most the game and I think the 3 changed at half time summed their gameplay up completely. Big units on and get the 0-0.

However, on the flip side, I must credit their travelling support, who were absolutely fantastic. Vocally good, mixture of songs for once (most sides sing the same one or two) and backed their team brilliantly, given how woeful they were on the pitch.

Did manage a smile when we copied their song after our goal and mocked them with it. :D

Yeah we didn’t get going at all. Brady mentioned we were ‘strangled’ and I think that’s an apt word. Couldn’t string any meaningful possession/pressure together and that left us unable to get out. Still managed to limit you but to only have one decent chance is a pretty poor show and not something we’ve seen often under Brady.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!