The 2015/16 National League North Thread

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
Yeah, some County fans like to paint it as if we have a shit budget and there are loads of clubs being bankrolled but from a friend who plays at this level who Stockport were actually interested in signing it's a lot of twisting the truth. Budget has always been competitive. Some of our highest earners are on £20k+ part time wages.

It's because we're not famous anymore. The slippery slope has begun! Seriously though I feel this board would have more engagement from Conference North fans if it didn't feel we were shunted into one little thread.
Harrogate, Barrow, Guiseley and Fylde are all heavy bank rolled that is just a fact hence why we missed out on so many targets to them last summer. However the likes of Chorley, Tamworth, Hednesford and Boston all finished above us despite having probably similar/smaller budgets hence the change of manager. Looking from the outside with our crowds you would expect us to have the biggest budget in the league by far though. It seems Lord has signed up decent top half Conference North players like Lees and Dennis on way more than they should be though from what Young says.

Ellis

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
Harrogate, Barrow, Guiseley and Fylde are all heavy bank rolled that is just a fact hence why we missed out on so many targets to them last summer. However the likes of Chorley, Tamworth, Hednesford and Boston all finished above us despite having probably similar/smaller budgets hence the change of manager. Looking from the outside with our crowds you would expect us to have the biggest budget in the league by far though. It seems Lord has signed up decent top half Conference North players like Lees and Dennis on way more than they should be though from what Young says.

They're bankrolled to a competitive budget level, the talk of them being bankrolled to high heavens with huge budgets is a fallacy with some exceptions in Fylde/Barrow. Agreed that one would expect us to have the biggest budget by far but football hasn't worked that way in a long time unfortunately.

Lord made good signings but he was also mugged off by an agent/player representation. Dennis, Sharp, and Anthony Wilson are all represented by the same group. There are probably more as well.

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
They're bankrolled to a competitive budget level, the talk of them being bankrolled to high heavens with huge budgets is a fallacy with some exceptions in Fylde/Barrow. Agreed that one would expect us to have the biggest budget by far but football hasn't worked that way in a long time unfortunately.

Lord made good signings but he was also mugged off by an agent/player representation. Dennis, Sharp, and Anthony Wilson are all represented by the same group. There are probably more as well.
Harrogate definitely are as well, they got Walshaw, Kendall and Speight as strikers last summer. They just have a manager in Weaver (Owner's son) who is badly out of his depth. Yeah that doesn't surprise me. The thing Lord should have realised is that someone like Dennis while being decent are replaceable it's not as if he is a 30 goal season striker. People moan that we had 5 striker towards the end of the season but that wasn't the issue it was the lack of variety in the 5 (no targetman or any electric pace)

Pliny Harris

Frightened Inmate #2
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
The Provisional Brotherhood
Because its a Conference North issue. If we had a thread for his appointment then it could lead to a thread for every appointment made in Conference North and South.
It was just to try and help keep the forum tidy?

If more of you want a separate thread then let me know and I will be more than happy to open it :)

Good stuff on reopening it. Nowt big, and most things probably can fit into one thread, but news that's got a fair chance of gaining more traction could still get its own thread. A good cup run or ongoing story, for example. I also think that maybe having one or two other threads for larger topics is more likely to attract fans from the regional leagues to this forum.

Ellis

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
Harrogate definitely are as well, they got Walshaw, Kendall and Speight as strikers last summer. They just have a manager in Weaver (Owner's son) who is badly out of his depth. Yeah that doesn't surprise me. The thing Lord should have realised is that someone like Dennis while being decent are replaceable it's not as if he is a 30 goal season striker. People moan that we had 5 striker towards the end of the season but that wasn't the issue it was the lack of variety in the 5 (no targetman or any electric pace)

Well we lost out on Kendall because of location issues. He lives in Hull so that's a pretty big commute.

I think we're coming across this from a similar angle. When I said people say they're bankrolled to high heavens it was more to counter some Stockport fans who genuinely believe that we can't compete because of a handful of clubs who have a lot of external investment put into the club. Indeed some of the bankrolled clubs will be bankrolled to the same level of budget we have. As you say, there are times like Boston, Hednesford, Chorley et al who managed to do better than us so there really isn't an excuse IMO for not at least pushing for promotion.

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
[QUOTE="Ellis, post: 140412, member: 544"]Well we lost out on Kendall because of location issues. He lives in Hull so that's a pretty big commute.

I think we're coming across this from a similar angle. When I said people say they're bankrolled to high heavens it was more to counter some Stockport fans who genuinely believe that we can't compete because of a handful of clubs who have a lot of external investment put into the club. Indeed some of the bankrolled clubs will be bankrolled to the same level of budget we have. As you say, there are times like Boston, Hednesford, Chorley et al who managed to do better than us so there really isn't an excuse IMO for not at least pushing for promotion.[/QUOTE]
I know that is what AL said but if that was the case he would have stayed at North Ferriby surely. We can compete but it is definitely made more difficult by the amount of little clubs that have chairman with deep pockets. Solihull seem to be stepping it up this season for example. Either way I think the change of manager should lead to us making a real attempt at getting out of this league.

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
Solihull seem to be really having a tilt at it. They has signed Andy Brown who is very experienced and effective at Conf North level and Akwasi Asante from Nuneaton

Harrier94

Reaction score
Supports
Kidderminster Harriers
Asante was signed from us. He looked okay but nothing special

Andy Harrier

Reaction score
Supports
Kidderminster Harriers
Asante was signed from us. He looked okay but nothing special

I think that's slightly harsh on him. He didn't really get many chances to start for us and was mostly limited to 10 minute substitute appearances. Indeed, in one of his only 2 starts he got man of the match and when he came on I thought he often made himself a nuisance for defenders and held the ball up well. I think he'll do well in the North.

Railway Blue

Reaction score
Supports
Chester FC
I hope you're right but it is a tough task with the amount of bank rolled clubs in this league nowadays. Speaking of turnover he is already hinting at trying to move on some of the 8 contracted players. He has been watching us quite often in the past 14 months apparently and seems to know the players which is a big plus.

What formation and style does he tend to play?
Any ex Chester players that you think he would look to sign?
Charnock anyone!

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
Bradford PA have signed James Walshaw.

Great signing for them.
God don't say they have money as well now haha.
Neil Young has culled our squad today. No official retained list, but every out of contract player we have heard news on via the twitter grapevine has been released. Rumours of contracted players being made available as well.

Ellis

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
All our contracted players aside from Hurst and Gregson (only due to injury) have been transfer listed.

Christ I hope he knows what he is doing because that is a bold move IMO. Theres rebuilding and then there is the potential of setting the house on fire.

eightiesrobin

Reaction score
Supports
Altrincham
That is bold. Two and a half months to sign up a whole new squad...

Ellis

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
That is bold. Two and a half months to sign up a whole new squad...

Especially when one is arguably our best contracted defensive player and the other our top goalscorer with a 1 in 2 rate over two seasons. Very ambitious and all the better if he gets an improvement on those.

That said all it takes is something similar to happen that Lord experienced in missing out on Walshaw (and another unnamed alty player who was meant to have agreed terms), Kendall, Wilson and we may have taken a slight step backwards.

eightiesrobin

Reaction score
Supports
Altrincham
I can only think that he must have a load of players in mind for him to summarily dismiss everyone bar the keeper and an injured player. I sometimes wish Lee Sinnott would be as proactive. Do you think anyone would pay a fee for any of those contracted players? I thought Dennis OK but rather flattered to deceive in the two games in which I saw him.

Wasn't the other Alty player Griffin?

Ellis

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
I can only think that he must have a load of players in mind for him to summarily dismiss everyone bar the keeper and an injured player. I sometimes wish Lee Sinnott would be as proactive. Do you think anyone would pay a fee for any of those contracted players? I thought Dennis OK but rather flattered to deceive in the two games in which I saw him.

Wasn't the other Alty player Griffin?

Probably get a nominal fee for Dennis but to be honest I think it's going to be an issue of either :
a. "can you pay 100% of our wages for a long-term loan"
b. "You find a club who wants you we'll accept a £1 bid"
From what the manager has been saying in his two interviews, its about having contracted players taking up his budget and getting it cleaned for him to use.

It might have been, never knew the second name. All I remember is that he stood at a fan's conference saying he had already agreed deals with two Altrincham players, the first was I think (on both ends) worked out to be Walshaw, the news of Griffin I didn't pick up on though.

Problem with Dennis is that he has had a few injury problems the past two seasons, but still managed a 1 in 2 record despite that and 60 games. Which despite injury problems I don't really see 60 games in two seasons being a major concern per se. Especially when you consider he completed two full seasons at Curzon prior to joining us. I know he tweaked an injury which he was recovering from whilst playing for fitness during the reserves which can happen to any player and it's a bit unfair if he is going to be penalised in that regard.

dedwardp

Reaction score
Supports
Colchester United
Dennis and Lees are the only real surprises it would seem, although the goals dried up for Dennis in the second half of the season and he seemed to often be struggling with injuries. Young has spoken about getting better value out of the budget so I can only assume Dennis is on more money than he ought to be?

I thought Mark Lees was very highly thought of though so, again, unless he is on significantly more money than he ought to be then that's the big surprise.

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
Especially when one is arguably our best contracted defensive player and the other our top goalscorer with a 1 in 2 rate over two seasons. Very ambitious and all the better if he gets an improvement on those.

That said all it takes is something similar to happen that Lord experienced in missing out on Walshaw (and another unnamed alty player who was meant to have agreed terms), Kendall, Wilson and we may have taken a slight step backwards.
Some rounding up with that one. He is injury prone and by all accounts on an inflated wage compared to his abilities. In his first season he was our 3rd choice striker, and that is probably what he should be for a team looking to win the league

Ellis

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
Some rounding up with that one. He is injury prone and by all accounts on an inflated wage compared to his abilities. In his first season he was our 3rd choice striker, and that is probably what he should be for a team looking to win the league

25 goals in 60. It's not a bad record, though not as 1 in 2 as I thought it was, but when you factor in being in a poor side and being shunted out on the wing, midfield, and even right-back at one match.

As I said, if Young can go out and get better then I couldn't give a fuck. But there is no way of dressing this up as anything but a risky and ambitious move from a manager showing clear intent. One just has to hope it doesn't go pear shaped along the way.

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
25 goals in 60. It's not a bad record, though not as 1 in 2 as I thought it was, but when you factor in being in a poor side and being shunted out on the wing, midfield, and even right-back at one match.

As I said, if Young can go out and get better then I couldn't give a fuck. But there is no way of dressing this up as anything but a risky and ambitious move from a manager showing clear intent. One just has to hope it doesn't go pear shaped along the way.
That is without any of his sub apps as well.
The term "value for money" was used by Young in his first interview when he was appointed. To list Lees who can play in three different positions and young lad like Churchman then something doesn't add up. I think a few of the contracted lot would have been kept if they were on money that Young thought was acceptable to there talent.

Is it really a risk?
Realistically we aren't going to get relegated, so let's mix it up and see what happens. I like that Young mentions how far we were away from being Champions, rather than how far we were away from the top 5.

Ellis

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
That is without any of his sub apps as well.
The term "value for money" was used by Young in his first interview when he was appointed. To list Lees who can play in three different positions and young lad like Churchman then something doesn't add up. I think a few of the contracted lot would have been kept if they were on money that Young thought was acceptable to there talent.

Is it really a risk?
Realistically we aren't going to get relegated, so let's mix it up and see what happens. I like that Young mentions how far we were away from being Champions, rather than how far we were away from the top 5.

Sub apps are included in the main number but given a bracket to distinguish how many of them were from the bench.

But aside from that. I agree with your comments regarding value for money and Lees/Churchman. I think after tonight I'm leaning towards the fact Young wants to bring his own people in and there is nothing wrong with that rather than the 'value for money' concept. I can understand Dennis being on an overinflated wage as a result of his agent (said before that he is part of the same representation as a few others Lord signed from) but Churchman or Lees being on a big wage I just can't fathom. If they are then something seriously went wrong.

Is it a risk? Of course. Taking a side which for all intents and purposes only has 1 player in the first 11 as it stands, and then attempting to build a promotion winning side is going to be a strong ask. It only takes him to miss out on his first choice signings and have an annus horribilis of a transfer window and we're no better off than we were before with the exception of losing some form of continuity. His points about being 30 points away is bang on the money, but it was still sitting around the top 5 for a good few months of the season and that was because we had some solid players (e.g. SOH/Lees/Gregson).Lees, and to some extent, Churchman, are safe bets to keep around rather than writing them off instantly within your first week at the club.

I don't want to jump the gun like some others are in calling this a cause for concern, as it all depends who Young will bring in. But if we have another situation (most likely worse case) where we're going into pre-season and being given a team sheet with 'trialist' marked across it, then yes I am going to look back at what Young with even more scepticism and scrutiny that he may have failed to deliver in replacing an entire side with, in his words, a 1st place winning side.

Who Needs Mourinho

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
I remember the interview with Lees when he had signed his new contract. He was like the cat that got the cream, and couldn't believe he was getting paid for the off season as well. It was obvious he hadn't pushed for his improved contract and was loving playing for County anyway but Lord had given it to him anyway.

Young has watched us on numerous occasions this season so that brings some validation to his decisions but without the financial facts it's hard to decipher whether they are all correct.

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
Former Alfreton keeper John Stewart has signed for Bradford PA and Duane Courtney has signed for Sutton Coldfield of the Northern Premier. Not surprised he was awful and at fault for both goals in the crucial 2-2 draw with Welling

eightiesrobin

Reaction score
Supports
Altrincham
There was an interesting letter to the editor in the Stockport Express yesterday. In it, the writer states very forcefully that the entire County squad, bar the keeper, should be let go. Presuming it was sent before the big clearout, I thought it showed considerable foresight. That, or it was written by Neil Young under a nom-de-plume.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Gainsborough have signed D'Laryea now.

the nash

Reaction score
Supports
Curzon
Friendly Fixtures:
Conwy Borough v Curzon
Sat 11th July 2.30pm

Clitheroe v Curzon
Tues 14th July 7.45pm

Runcorn Linnets v Curzon
Tues 21st July 7.45pm

Salford City v Curzon
Sat 25th July 3.00pm

Glossop NE v Curzon
Tues 28th July 7.45pm

Curzon v Guiseley
Sat 1st August 3.00pm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hudders

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!