The Carlisle United f**ked it up Official Promotion Thread

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
No one at the top should fear Wycombe, just look at the teams them and Cambridge have been beating lately. The likes of Notts County and HARTLEPOOL along with a couple of other shite teams.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
No one at the top should fear Wycombe, just look at the teams them and Cambridge have been beating lately. The likes of Notts County and HARTLEPOOL along with a couple of other shite teams.

it doesn't really matter who they've beaten lately, every point counts towards the total regardless of whether is was earned during the current run against poor opposition or earned in august against difficult opposition. Were almost half way through and what matters as far as Wycombe are concerned is that they're comfortably the sixth best team after twenty games.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
it doesn't really matter who they've beaten lately, every point counts towards the total regardless of whether is was earned during the current run against poor opposition or earned in august against difficult opposition. Were almost half way through and what matters as far as Wycombe are concerned is that they're comfortably the sixth best team after twenty games.

I guarantee that they'll fade away pretty soon just like they have the last 2 years because being a dirty cheating team is not going to keep them up there, because as soon as they play someone like us their disgusting tactics won't work if they are played off the park!!

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
I guarantee that they'll fade away pretty soon just like they have the last 2 years because being a dirty cheating team is not going to keep them up there, because as soon as they play someone like us their disgusting tactics won't work if they are played off the park!!
well we all know that anything you say about Wycombe is totally impartial and unbiased and not at all influenced by a personal grudge you have against one of their fans.

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
I had no idea we would be in 7th come Xmas, so I'm really regretting not beating the likes of Morecambe, Colchester and Carlisle.

Reactions: SVH

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Carlise were the same cheating, time wasting dirty c*** as Wycombe at our place this season.

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
I had no idea we would be in 7th come Xmas, so I'm really regretting not beating the likes of Morecambe, Colchester and Carlisle.
add Blackpool to that list.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd

We are 2nd and have only lost 1 league game all season and if I remember rightly we were the better team that day.

So please tell me why you regret not beating the likes of us?

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
upload_2016-12-18_15-37-54.jpeg

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
Carlise were the same cheating, time wasting dirty c*** as Wycombe at our place this season.

So what, if another team does it then a lot more will too and that's exactly what happened to us. I hoped we wouldn't of had to but if it stops other teams bullying the fuck out of us then so be it!

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
I regret not beating Wycombe. We were "done" out of that game by gamesmanship and Trevor Kettle. Us and Wycombe should be the other way round in the play offs. But there you go.

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Just looked at the league table for the first time in a long time... the top 5 will be the top 5 in May, just not (hopefully not) necessarily in that order.

I know there's a gap between 3rd and 4th and not much of one between 4th and the rest, but in my opinion, the top 5 are in a different league to the rest in terms of consistency and ability. You can see that in the GD of every other team, with the exception of Blackpool.

We more than comfortably beat Wycombe and Cambridge earlier in the season and have only lost to two teams in the top half, one of which v Stevenage was a real sucker punch.

I'm staggered to see that we've also got the best defence in the division; proving that the games we've lost have only really been by the odd goal. Conceivably, if everything had gone our way, we could be ahead of Plymouth at the top on Christmas Day. In our last promotion campaign (Conference Champions), we weren't top before the 28th December of that season.

All to play for.

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Just looked at the league table for the first time in a long time... the top 5 will be the top 5 in May, just not (hopefully not) necessarily in that order.

I know there's a gap between 3rd and 4th and not much of one between 4th and the rest, but in my opinion, the top 5 are in a different league to the rest in terms of consistency and ability. You can see that in the GD of every other team, with the exception of Blackpool.

We more than comfortably beat Wycombe and Cambridge earlier in the season and have only lost to two teams in the top half, one of which v Stevenage was a real sucker punch.

I'm staggered to see that we've also got the best defence in the division; proving that the games we've lost have only really been by the odd goal. Conceivably, if everything had gone our way, we could be ahead of Plymouth at the top on Christmas Day. In our last promotion campaign (Conference Champions), we weren't top before the 28th December of that season.

All to play for.

You played a completely different Cambridge United earlier in the season so you can't really make that assumption you'll finish above us based on one game.

Considering we gave you a 7 game head start and we're now only 4 points behind you suggests you've not been as consistent as us over the last 14 games.

All to play for.

Last edited:

PaulHaddock

people person
Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
According to a couple of reports and games I've attended, I think Carlisle and Portsmouth have earned their positions. Doncaster were OK yesterday and I expect them to be up there too. The fact that Cambridge and Wycombe are in the playoffs after their awful starts shows just how open the battle for 4th-7th will be.

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
You played a completely different Cambridge United earlier in the season so you can't really make that assumption you'll finish above us based on one game.

Considering we game you a 7 game head start and we're now only 4 points behind you suggests you've not been as consistent as us over the last 14 games.

All to play for.
But we've been more consistent over 21 games. Those first 7 games don't suddenly disappear.
We're still a long way off the end of the year - personally, and I've said this each of the previous two seasons; its an indictment as to the standard of the league.

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
According to a couple of reports and games I've attended, I think Carlisle and Portsmouth have earned their positions. Doncaster were OK yesterday and I expect them to be up there too. The fact that Cambridge and Wycombe are in the playoffs after their awful starts shows just how open the battle for 4th-7th will be.
For Carlisle to only lose 1 game before Christmas is an outstanding achievement. From our point of view, that they were time wasting from the 7th minute and only scored from a goalkeeping error said a lot...

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
I check out what's being said on the forums of the other top five from time to time, as well as what's said of us on the forums of our opponents (who will usually compare us to Plimuff and Donny) and what I've seen here, and based on the roughly recollected and aggregated views of countless fans who may or may not largely be keyboard warriors and wums I can say this.

Each one of the top five have had games this season where they felt a bit fortunate to win, in fact just last weekend all of the top three won, none of them convincingly, we weathered more Yeovil pressure than we'd have liked, the Donny fans seem to feel Grimsby were the better team in the second half, and anyone viewing the highlights can see there is a certain amount of fortune in Plymouth's late(ish) winner.

I actually see fewer reports about Pompey and Luton which say 'fortunate to win' but then you have to win in order to be 'fortunate to win' and where we're seeing a lot of games in which people say that Plymouth, Carlisle or Donny didn't deserve to win and yet did, there are plenty for Pompey and Luton where fans say they didn't deserve to win, and lo! they didn't.

On balance they are better teams than those outside the top five, according to match reports. There will always be differing opinions as these are the views of people who have only seen them once, one week Plymouth will be the best team an opposing fan has seen this season, wind on seven days and someone else can't see how they've gotten where they are. Add all these views together though and you general have opposition fans saying 'the best team we've faced so far are [Plymouth/Carlisle/Doncaster/Portsmouth/Luton - delete as appropriate]. On average they've impressed neutrals and opponents more than anyone else, not everyone but enough of a majority to say that those who weren't impressed caught them on an off-day.

Going off the forums of these teams I get the following impression.

Plymouth fans are quite pessimistic, PASOTI is a very anti-'happy-clapper' forum. I guess they've become so used to throwing it away that they're going to wait until the chickens are roasted and plated up before they count them.

Carlisle fans are definitely the most optimistic, there's some concern over whether we can keep it up, and off-field issues, but I think having a cushion between us and the playoffs is exceeding everyone's expectations.

Doncaster fans haven't really adjusted to life in League Two yet, there are some voices of reason but by and large they're quite angry that they haven't won the title yet, of course most of this will be residual anger from the last couple of seasons.

Portsmouth fans are very unhappy, they expected to be doing better, not just this season but in general. I presume they'll remain unhappy until the day they get promoted. If they don't do so as champions then there'll be unresolved issues.

Luton fans are very divided on issues such as Syria, Brexit and Jeremy Corbyn, I haven't a clue what they think of Luton's promotion chances as it hasn't come up yet.

I personally haven't seen any of the others play yet. I missed the Plymouth game, and Donny, Pompey and Luton were all away (I only really get to one or two away games per season).

Last edited:

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
For Carlisle to only lose 1 game before Christmas is an outstanding achievement. From our point of view, that they were time wasting from the 7th minute and only scored from a goalkeeping error said a lot...
Can't believe you lot are still on about this seven minute thing. When you come to Brunton Park I hope I catch your goalie carrying the ball for 6.5 seconds in the 5th minute.

I can't tell you how frustrating it is that the one defeat was against Newport.

Hooped Wizard

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers
looking at Donny's forum it seems to be a straight contest between Ferguson and Dickov.
Erm... Dickov effectively relegated us twice in 2 years as it was his shite that sent us down both seasons. So obviously Dickov. I wish nothing but misery on the tar-ridden c***.

Ferguson does however make Dean Saunders look like a tactical genius which is a scary thought.

Anyway... depending on January.... I think we probably will go up. Depending on January because of last Jan was anything to go by Ferguson is a complacent c*** - selling 2 decent midfielders, releasing a club legend of a defender and perhaps worse of all loaning out one of our 4 strikers to a relegation rival who then plays a huge part in keeping them up.

Fucking scandalous.

#expertanaylsis

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Erm... Dickov effectively relegated us twice in 2 years as it was his shite that sent us down both seasons. So obviously Dickov. I wish nothing but misery on the tar-ridden c***.

Ferguson does however make Dean Saunders look like a tactical genius which is a scary thought.

Anyway... depending on January.... I think we probably will go up. Depending on January because of last Jan was anything to go by Ferguson is a complacent c*** - selling 2 decent midfielders, releasing a club legend of a defender and perhaps worse of all loaning out one of our 4 strikers to a relegation rival who then plays a huge part in keeping them up.

Fucking scandalous.

#expertanaylsis
Should we be looking to grab Mandeville on a free then?

Hooped Wizard

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers
Oh....

*controversial opinion*

Obese Evans will see Mansfield to the play-offs.

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
But we've been more consistent over 21 games. Those first 7 games don't suddenly disappear.
We're still a long way off the end of the year - personally, and I've said this each of the previous two seasons; its an indictment as to the standard of the league.

More consistent by 4 points but as you've beaten us convincingly you'll naturally finish above us.

Things can change very quickly in football with suspensions, injuries, goals drying up for strikers or poor signings in Jan. I know it's all about opinions but you are writing teams off based on you beating them over 90 minutes.

My point being you cannot base promotion on top 5 finishes in December over one game.

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
I check out what's being said on the forums of the other top five from time to time, as well as what's said of us on the forums of our opponents (who will usually compare us to Plimuff and Donny) and what I've seen here, and based on the roughly recollected and aggregated views of countless fans who may or may not largely be keyboard warriors and wums I can say this.

Each one of the top five have had games this season where they felt a bit fortunate to win, in fact just last weekend all of the top three won, none of them convincingly, we weathered more Yeovil pressure than we'd have liked, the Donny fans seem to feel Grimsby were the better team in the second half, and anyone viewing the highlights can see there is a certain amount of fortune in Plymouth's late(ish) winner.

I actually see fewer reports about Pompey and Luton which say 'fortunate to win' but then you have to win in order to be 'fortunate to win' and where we're seeing a lot of games in which people say that Plymouth, Carlisle or Donny didn't deserve to win and yet did, there are plenty for Pompey and Luton where fans say they didn't deserve to win, and lo! they didn't.

On balance they are better teams than those outside the top five, according to match reports. There will always be differing opinions as these are the views of people who have only seen them once, one week Plymouth will be the best team an opposing fan has seen this season, wind on seven days and someone else can't see how they've gotten where they are. Add all these views together though and you general have opposition fans saying 'the best team we've faced so far are [Plymouth/Carlisle/Doncaster/Portsmouth/Luton - delete as appropriate]. On average they've impressed neutrals and opponents more than anyone else, not everyone but enough of a majority to say that those who weren't impressed caught them on an off-day.

Going off the forums of these teams I get the following impression.

Plymouth fans are quite pessimistic, PASOTI is a very anti-'happy-clapper' forum. I guess they've become so used to throwing it away that they're going to wait until the chickens are roasted and plated up before they count them.

Carlisle fans are definitely the most optimistic, there's some concern over whether we can keep it up, and off-field issues, but I think having a cushion between us and the playoffs is exceeding everyone's expectations.

Doncaster fans haven't really adjusted to life in League Two yet, there are some voices of reason but by and large they're quite angry that they haven't won the title yet, of course most of this will be residual anger from the last couple of seasons.

Portsmouth fans are very unhappy, they expected to be doing better, not just this season but in general. I presume they'll remain unhappy until the day they get promoted. If they don't do so as champions then there'll be unresolved issues.

Luton fans are very divided on issues such as Syria, Brexit and Jeremy Corbyn, I haven't a clue what they think of Luton's promotion chances as it hasn't come up yet.

I personally haven't seen any of the others play yet. I missed the Plymouth game, and Donny, Pompey and Luton were all away (I only really get to one or two away games per season).
Very considered analysis Shoddy. I do agree with what you say regarding the top five. Though I assume that at least one if not two will have a horrid run and drop out. And someone not currently in the top five will go on a fantastic run and come into major contention. At present Wycombe are putting themselves into that category. Hopefully we'll scotch that next week.

My own personal view of Argyle is that last year we had a better first 11, but once injuries, supsensions and algae kicked in we were lost at sea. This year our squad is stronger and might resist the inevitable bumps along the way.

cufc17

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle
I've read opposition fans calling us a dirty, niggly, overly-physical team numerous times already this season, though mostly away games. I like that we're able to mix it up when necessary, only one league defeat backs that up.

We possibly draw too many on the road, but I'd say we've got most of the tougher away games out of the way. We've now won 7 in a row at home, and whilst we're conceding a lot, we are capable of out-scoring the opposition.

Most fans' reports on Portsmouth suggest they're the team to beat, yet they're dropping points at home now and are less consistent than the current top 3. Same applies to Luton. I reckon Plymouth will be the ones to slip, but it could be anyone.

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
I've read opposition fans calling us a dirty, niggly, overly-physical team numerous times already this season, though mostly away games. I like that we're able to mix it up when necessary, only one league defeat backs that up.

We possibly draw too many on the road, but I'd say we've got most of the tougher away games out of the way. We've now won 7 in a row at home, and whilst we're conceding a lot, we are capable of out-scoring the opposition.

Most fans' reports on Portsmouth suggest they're the team to beat, yet they're dropping points at home now and are less consistent than the current top 3. Same applies to Luton. I reckon Plymouth will be the ones to slip, but it could be anyone.
There are dirty niggly teams in this league, but I do not think you are one of them. Rather like us you have played catch-up in getting a physically bigger side and learning about 'game management'. That makes you more likely to convert what were previously draws into wins.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United

While we draw a lot on the road, our away games this season do include trips to Doncaster, Portsmouth (with 10 men for the majority of the game), Luton, Cambridge, Blackpool, Stevenage and Barnet. That's everyone in the top 10 apart from Wycombe and Plymouth; and none of them beat us (and of course we beat Wycombe and Plymouth at Brunton Park). Add to that Grimsby who where in the top ten and on good form when we visited. I think we've just managed to get most of our difficult away games out of the way in the first half of the season.

In fact everyone down to 20th falls into one of three categories:
- Beaten by Carlisle at Brunton Park;
- Failed to beat Carlisle at home;
or
- Not played Carlisle yet (only Crewe and Notts in that one)

Oddly once you reach the bottom four, suddenly teams have better form against us, Orient, Cheltenham and Accrington being the only teams to take any points away from Brunton Park this season while Newport at the very bottom are the only team to beat us.

Go figure.

Last edited:

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
I hope we are the team to send Newport down on the second last game.

thewwfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe
we're on the crest of a wave at the moment, and it's a good position to be in, but we could be peaking too early.

January will be pivotal to our hopes for the rest of the season, when we get to find out if we keep Aaron Pierre (sought-after CB) and Jamal Blackman (Chelsea loanee) - hell, with Scott Kashket knocking them in like no-one's business we could get offers for him too, even though he's only just signed a contract till 2019.

I have low expectations still but even an outside shot of a tilt at the playoffs has to be seen as a successful season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!