THE HAUNTED WOODS

epic73

Reaction score
Supports
Manchester United
Sorry about this LR, I realise I was very inactive, shouldn't have signed up in the first place and appreciate the effort you put in.

Oaf

Maharajah
Reaction score
Supports
PLIMUFF
It's a shame to have seen this game come to this. I think perhaps it's harder for you as the guy running it to see how enthusiastic people are about playing it. Like, I know for a fact that I was right into it which is why I was gutted and initially surprised to have been kicked off. But the fact is, I prioritized doing stuff in this over the top wrestlers feature in the fight forum and hadn't actually touched superstar wars in weeks (to the extent where I'm not even sure it'll be resurrected) due to trying to take part in this... and if somebody running two features who basically put them both to the side to take part is perceived as somebody who needs to be kicked off for a lack of activity... well, like I said, maybe it's just that difficult to gauge levels of interest.

Needing people to be on at a particular time probably holds it back. Or at least it does for me. I can't ever really guarantee I'll be on at a given time, and I guess a lot of people have trouble with that... that's why I run Wars the way I do with deadlines, but no absolute set times for things taking place. Any chance this could be redesigned without the set playing times?

Like I said, it's a shame, but if you're not enjoying the running of it then I don't think anybody can begrudge you stopping it.

Veggie Legs

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
Maybe there isn't less enthusiasm for this game, but there is visibly less participation. I don't know why that is, maybe the people who play these games just don't have as much time as they used to. It's notable looking at the list of people playing this game that a lot of them are the same people who have been playing all the forum games for the last 5 years (and probably even longer) - I can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly don't have as much time to do this kind of thing that I did back then.

Leewilson

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham and Redbridge
It's ashame but a bit inevitable. I don't think the forum is dying. It was only a few months back there were a good amount of people working away on Wars. I think that is actually the problem. There's been too many games lately. I don't think this one got off to a good start having to move forum.

As for the game itself, the quality of it is outstanding and that's a big kudos to LR. However, in my opinion, it was too in depth for a forum game. The best forum games are the simple ones (Survivor, The Mole, Wars). In the first two, it's a case of a task each week and voting off. In the latter, it's just essentially a roster game but with the potential to alter the parameters each week to keep it interesting. I still don't know all the rules for the Haunted Woods, there's just too much to remember and with that, it's very difficult to come up with any sort of strategy. The mansion game was the best bit by far. I didn't particularly enjoy the Spooky Masks task (apart from winning) and the board itself seemed a little too packed for me.

I think forum games just need a break for a while. I don't recall much happening on here before Wars and people were eager to sign up, including a few members (PaulHaddock, MagpieBee etc) who hadn't played much before. Give it 9 months or so and we'll all be clamouring for something again.

Magic

Reaction score
Supports
Leeds United
Absolute bollocks to be fair. A shame it came to this but oh well.

PaulHaddock

people person
Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
^.

I know you're angry, LR but let's have it right; some people (me, Dave/hodge/Veggie presumably) to play these games religiously and others don't.

I'm a (relatively) newbie to forum games; my first was Oaf's NOTW last year and I've enjoyed all the games since. Those that know me know that I only access the forum on my phone- that's my main reason for my activeness. If I did it using a computer, I'm betting I'd be nowhere near as active. For me, it's easy to get on and partake because it's very accessible and I also get email alerts.

I can't speak for other people but it's not a good idea to blast them for not being on. People have a lot on and things come up. Heck, in the Euros Grandstand, I wasn't available for the start the crossword challenge. By the time I got on, I knew everyone had done it but I did it for our team anyway. Even in Grandstand, it was 6 to a team but I'm fairly certain by the end, it was only a handful of people still active, mainly the regular forum gamers.

Try not to throw your toys out the pram; keep the game on the shelf for a few months. I know you may not like it but I like the idea of times challenges. Means you can still do something if you can't get on at a certain time. The FFFs could've ended up being 4 players vs 1.

Magic

Reaction score
Supports
Leeds United
I understand frustrations and I'm not gonna sit here and repeat what I've said many times in the past about LR/Oaf/Munkiki etc who are capable of outstanding quality features, but it's hard to accept an assault when I don't think it's justified.

If I was part of a team there's no way I'd be singled out for inactivity but as SUTSS and James essentially bowed out, I was the only person repping Howard basically, so when I wasn't available, Howard wasn't around at all and that came back to me. When something is happening most nights, I simply can't be there for everything.

You give Rammy credit for coming up with a plan for the GCG game which was good, and said it would be fine if Oaf could make one day of the evening games. Yet I played both of those games at least to some degree (nearly winning the GCG with another go) and yes wasn't there all the time, but again, that's only exaggerated because I was the only player on the team 90% of the time.

Fair enough, I lacked any real plan or tactics with regards to moving around the board, I accept that, but I came into the thread the other day (as I always did when there was a new post), saw you post a deadline for actions but didn't think we had to do anything as we were just on a plain part of the board, so I left again. I come back that night to see the fight results and have been thrown out :lol:

I said jokingly that I was bored in the schedule thread because I enjoy and embrace these forum games, and said I didn't want to miss out when on holiday because it was true? I think my history shows I generally throw myself into the features on here but whilst perhaps I could have been a bit more intense through this game, I don't think it merits the shit I've received. Partly through being out on a night, and partly because it's hard to get really involved in a team game when there's no-one there to support you or keep you going (for example, I get notifications on my phone when PMs come through and I would have thrown in my thoughts on a regular basis had I been in a team talking regularly through PM).

I'm not having a go at SUTSS or Rammy because the former said from the outset he was unlikely to be active, and Rammy similarly (and tried when he could with the GCG game) and I'm sad that it's how you feel LR, but the thought I signed up to this for the sake of it and without any desire to play simply isn't true.

Magic

Reaction score
Supports
Leeds United
Well it's not true but no point going back and forth on the matter. Over and out. I'll stick to football for the time being.

Sent from my HTC Desire EYE using Tapatalk

Oaf

Maharajah
Reaction score
Supports
PLIMUFF
Well that was a fucking great read. Gonna try to address those points... which is probably just going to be result in another fucking great read, but there are certainly points that need to be addressed...

"Don't blame your participation in this for Superstar Wars not being resurrected" - It's not the sole reason for that, no. And I never said it was. But if I could only come on here for a 20 minutes spell during the day, I'd put it toward catching up on THW and at least try to understand some of the (admittedly overly complicated in my view, maybe that's just me having not actually been able to take part in any of them) games. Then it was trying to get the top wrestlers thing, or just generally going to other parts of the forum and SSW after that... which meant it usually didn't get addressed. SSW fell to the wayside. And after a while of leaving it, it makes it hard to get back into it... and honestly, nobody taking part is exactly screaming for its return, so that again doesn't entirely enthuse me about getting it back up and running. Those are the reasons. And I'm sorry if it ever came across that I was blaming its demise purely on THW, because that's never what I actually intended to imply. I wasn't blaming THW. As a matter of fact, I actually felt a bit saddened by the situation because I knew the efforts that had gone into THW, so I was trying to help cheer you up by letting you know that people were more into it than you thought, you sod :lol: And all I get back in return is this bloody great assualt on basically my entire run on 1FF. Figures :pond: . But no, I was simply using that as an example of the fact that, and I'll use that quote again...

"I was right into it." - And I was. Sorry if you disagree or if it came across otherwise, but it simply WAS true.

There was one occasion where I had it in my head that a start time was half 8, but it was actually half 7. That is totally on me and my fuck up. But every single other game ran at a time when I was not able to take part in it. I'm trying to stay pretty passive here because I can see you're clearly pissed off, but I do have to point out one quote of yours that is absolute horse shit:

"If you had REALLY wanted to, you would have turned up to at least one of the live challenge sessions for Go Compare or Spooky Masks" - I'm not calling in sick for a forum game. And I'm not going to apologise for not doing so, either. That was the main thing that got in the way. But other things did come up, whether they were commitments to friends, birthday meals and whatever. The simple fact is, I was only able to be around for a single night during a live challenge, and I got the time wrong on that. That one is on me and I hold my hands up, but I won't, and shouldn't, apologise for the other times. If people can't be on, they can't be on, and I think it's pretty fucked up to hold that against people.

"You didn't post any talk in the PM about Spooky masks/Go Compare outside of the live sessions" - I didn't understand them. And I know I'm not the only one, even a few of the people taking part didn't seem to really follow it. I do think that learning through playing is the best way, so if I'd been around to take part perhaps I'd have got the hang of it. I think I started to understand the GCG game toward the end for the most part, but I'll admit, I still haven't got the foggiest what was happening in the masks game. But, I could see that at least Paul seemed to have an idea of what was happening, plus every time the next session time was announced for it I could see that I wasn't going to make it.... So with that in mind, with me barely understanding it and Paul having the hang of it... why WOULD I make suggestions to him about the masks game? If anything, I'd just fuck him up. So yes, during that game, I didn't have any input, but that was through design, not through lack of enthusiasm to take part.

Out of interest, I've just gone and added up the posts in the team PM that did not happen during live challenges... I make it:

Oaf 7
Harv 2
PH 8

Is one less post than Paul really a lack of commitment? I applied all of the strategy I could when I was able. Which wasn't much, because most of the time it simply involved deciding which of the places we were going to next, but I did as much of that as anybody else in the team. Plus I still made a point of at least thanking Paul for carrying us along when I couldn't be there. I had hoped for the chance to make it up to him (and yes, you as well LR, because I wanted to actually take part in the game and hadn't been able to do so) but got booted out before I ever had a chance to. And even then, I thought I took that pretty well. I could have thrown my toys out of the pram, but it's your game, so I let it go. Plus, like you say, I hadn't been around for any of the games and there's no guarantee that I'd have been around for the next one, or the one after that. So I thought fair enough. And it was the same when Lee kicked me out of grandstand. I didn't agree with either decision, but I let them go.

"Don't hold 1FF Wars up as a bastion of considerate hosting, at least as far as you're concerned. You actually did make it so it was relevant to be on at a certain time (first come first serve fight cards) - and then you would leave everyone hanging at those times sometimes in the region of 45 minutes or more! There was the odd session of Go Compare or Happy Masks where I "didn't fancy" coming on - but you know what I did because the thought of leaving people waiting there is not something I would ever entertain."

1FF Wars was definitely not a bastion of considerate hosting.

I wasn't really arsed to run 1FF Wars. I mean, I kept building it and thinking about it, but the thought of actually getting around to the running of it always put me off. In fact, it's probably the main reason it took so long to happen. But people wanted it still. So in the end, and here's where I really show what I mean about how Wars was not a bastion of considerate hosting, I designed the game to be one that I could run at my own convenience, not to the players. What I actually said in my last post was...

"Needing people to be on at a particular time probably holds it back. Or at least it does for me. I can't ever really guarantee I'll be on at a given time, and I guess a lot of people have trouble with that... that's why I run Wars the way I do with deadlines, but no absolute set times for things taking place."

You seem to misread this as me saying that I ran Wars the way I did "for the good of everybody". No. I can't get on here at set times, which has become pretty fucking clear. So I made it in a way where I could just update it as and when I could. And the point is, before the game happened, I did make a point of telling people that this was the case. Like I said, I wasn't up for the idea of running it really... but I basically said that I would run it, so long as I could do it at my own pace, which may be a little slow. Luckily, Munkiki stepped in and actually helped the game turn out much better than expected. And I'll address your Munkiki concerns more later...

"Not so much the giant NOTW game which YOU got to have pretty much all of the creative control over but I ended up being the one counting all the votes." - Not sure why this is being brought up... as a matter of fact, at this point it was starting to feel as if you're not really pissed at me for things relating to THW and you seem to have many more issues with me than I first thought. I'm not even sure THW has anything to do with it at this point. I always thought we got on pretty well on 1FF, in fact I thought I got along with you as good or better than anybody else on the site, but it seems as if you've got a lot more resentment toward me than I ever perceived, and I'm not entirely sure why.

But moving back to the point...

I'll give the same answer to that as I did at the time when we did that NOTW game, I seem to have sent you (and maybe the others... Veggie Legs and Don Tonberry wasn't it? Apologies to whoever it was if I'm wrong here :lol:) entirely the wrong message with that. My intention was that the four of us were absolutely going into that as equals, but you seemed to think that I just had you all there as extras to help me. Not at all. We all came up with the concepts for how we'd run a big game, I don't think any of us had any more of a say than the rest. And I definitely intended us to share the load. I remember in the early stages I couldn't do much and you had a moan about it, which was entirely fair enough. But I felt that toward the end I totally made a point of trying to do as much as anybody else and I felt as if I'd made up for it. Perhaps Veggie or Don can chip in here (if indeed it was those two who helped us...) and let me know, but I was, and always have been, under the impression that the situation had been resolved by the end. I had no idea that you still saw a problem there or held that against me.

(I said this would be a monster... I've had to do this reply in two posts :ffs:)

Oaf

Maharajah
Reaction score
Supports
PLIMUFF
"Reading between the lines in 1FF Wars and being brutally honest, I get the impression that Munkiki who was meant to be there to just keep that ticking over ended up doing most of the work in that game. Now people co-hosting a game is fine and maybe even a good idea, but I just hope Mukiki didn't get more than he bargained for there in terms of workload." - I can forgive this as you weren't privy to our own PM, but Munkiki never lifted a finger toward the running of 1FF Wars that he didn't want to as far as I know. If he did any more than he'd intended he never once so much as hinted at it to me, and I really made a point of telling him to let me know if he was happy with what he was doing. Every single time he said yes.

Yeah, I probably did just intend on him being there to keep it ticking along at first, for sure. His role in the running of the game certainly grew (mainly because he was a heck of a lot better at getting on here than I am. Though I won't hold that against myself, because I think that'd be the case with most people) but along every step of the way, I made absolute sure that he was ok with it and said that it'd be absolutely fine if he didn't want to do anything because he'd already done so much. I do wish Munkiki were here to give some insight on this (or just here in general really, he's been gone for a long time now...) but he always seemed incredibly happy with how things went with that game to me.

So yeah, I'm not really sure what this is all about really. I feel like it's about more than THW. Maybe this is just another one of your knee jerk reaction posts which you'll come on and apologise for later, but I'm not entirely sure. Like I said, I think this has revealed some deep rooted bad feelings toward me that you've kept well hidden.

My post was actually intended to be a bit of morale boost and supposed to help you keep your chin up and, actually, even though you'd already fucking booted me out personally, perhaps reconsider trash canning it. I guess it didn't quite have that effect :lol: My post, in summary, was basically supposed to say:

1) First and foremost, It's sad that you're giving it up. Even though I couldn't help not being here for the games (barring the one time I got the time wrong...), I still feel gutted that you feel as if my lack of activity has been a major reason for giving it up. I feel guilty for something I basically had no control of, barring phoning in sick to work or letting friends down. And that was before this tirade. And I'm not entirely sure that that's fair.

2) I'm not sure that your perceived levels of players enthusiasm are accurate. As an example, I ran that Hunger Games thing back along. I have no idea what people thought of that really, as there weren't many posts about it. But it wasn't exactly a game that required massive amounts of posting... so I didn't take the lack of posts or whatever as a lack of interest. And I feel like maybe you need to do the same with this. Outside of the games, there isn't that much to post about.

3) I prioritized trying to get up to speed on this over my own games. THIS WAS NOT TO BLAME FOR THE FAILURE OR WHATEVER OF THOSE GAMES! I'm simply saying that that's how dedicated toward it I was. (You probably won't believe that, and I can't prove it, but that's how it is to me. Though I have no posts or evidence to show for it, I know I sat at my computer for a fair bit of time trying to get my head around those game and keeping up to date with it)

4) Could you possibly rethink one or two aspects to try to do it again in future? I see lots of potential in THW and I think it'd be a shame if you shit canned it without giving it another chance.

Well whatever. Make of all that what you will. Perhaps you'll think that bits (or all) of it is bullshit. The basic fact is, with regards to specific times, my job and life mean it'll always be hard to show up at set times. And often I won't know until very late on that I can't make it. And I think I've been fair in letting people know that and there are examples of it... The Hunger Games, 1FF Wars, Superstar Wars, all games designed with as few set times as possible.

But, if I do happen to get here at a time, you must know that I'll be into it as much as anybody. Take the ONE EXAMPLE of something I was here on the deadline for on THW... the very first pre game challenge. Who was the first person to get back to you?

My lack of showing up has been an issue for a while now for other peoples games. I was the same in Grandstand, and even if Survivor I came close to getting booted for it... but when I was around, I managed to do so much that I survived for far longer than anybody thought I would. And that's not because I'm a fucking king of forum games, far from it. It's because of enthusiasm to deliver for my team as well as the person running it.

I'd like to think that when I am able to show up on these deadlines, I've given plenty of evidence to suggest that I'm fully committed to these things. I can absolutely, positively, guarantee that any time I'm not here, it's because I can't be here.

LR, if you really do have some kind of issue with me, drop me a PM. I feel like there's something more you need to get off of your chest and I want to discuss it with you. I feel pretty let down by this full fledged attack because I did think that we got along well. I hope it's just a case of you blowing up and just aiming all of your frustrations toward this game at me. But I seem to think that it isn't.

Veggie Legs

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
I'll give the same answer to that as I did at the time when we did that NOTW game, I seem to have sent you (and maybe the others... Veggie Legs and Don Tonberry wasn't it? Apologies to whoever it was if I'm wrong here :lol:) entirely the wrong message with that. My intention was that the four of us were absolutely going into that as equals, but you seemed to think that I just had you all there as extras to help me. Not at all. We all came up with the concepts for how we'd run a big game, I don't think any of us had any more of a say than the rest. And I definitely intended us to share the load. I remember in the early stages I couldn't do much and you had a moan about it, which was entirely fair enough. But I felt that toward the end I totally made a point of trying to do as much as anybody else and I felt as if I'd made up for it. Perhaps Veggie or Don can chip in here (if indeed it was those two who helped us...) and let me know, but I was, and always have been, under the impression that the situation had been resolved by the end. I had no idea that you still saw a problem there or held that against me.
My recollection of that game was that it was designed to be run as equals. To be honest, I know I didn't carry my fair share of that once the game got started so I can't really comment on who did what (plus it was years ago), but if any fingers are being pointed then they should be at me rather than between the people who actually put the effort in.

last request

Reaction score
Supports
Aston Villa
Well, as expected, I do regret saying some of the stuff I said yesterday. I went on about how committed I have been in forum games on here, but I understand that they aren't serious business and I can't expect other people to necessarily treat them as religiously as I have done.

"Reading between the lines in 1FF Wars and being brutally honest, I get the impression that Munkiki who was meant to be there to just keep that ticking over ended up doing most of the work in that game. Now people co-hosting a game is fine and maybe even a good idea, but I just hope Mukiki didn't get more than he bargained for there in terms of workload." - I can forgive this as you weren't privy to our own PM, but Munkiki never lifted a finger toward the running of 1FF Wars that he didn't want to as far as I know. If he did any more than he'd intended he never once so much as hinted at it to me, and I really made a point of telling him to let me know if he was happy with what he was doing. Every single time he said yes.

Yeah, I probably did just intend on him being there to keep it ticking along at first, for sure. His role in the running of the game certainly grew (mainly because he was a heck of a lot better at getting on here than I am. Though I won't hold that against myself, because I think that'd be the case with most people) but along every step of the way, I made absolute sure that he was ok with it and said that it'd be absolutely fine if he didn't want to do anything because he'd already done so much. I do wish Munkiki were here to give some insight on this (or just here in general really, he's been gone for a long time now...) but he always seemed incredibly happy with how things went with that game to me.

So yeah, I'm not really sure what this is all about really. I feel like it's about more than THW. Maybe this is just another one of your knee jerk reaction posts which you'll come on and apologise for later, but I'm not entirely sure. Like I said, I think this has revealed some deep rooted bad feelings toward me that you've kept well hidden.

My post was actually intended to be a bit of morale boost and supposed to help you keep your chin up and, actually, even though you'd already fucking booted me out personally, perhaps reconsider trash canning it. I guess it didn't quite have that effect :lol: My post, in summary, was basically supposed to say:

1) First and foremost, It's sad that you're giving it up. Even though I couldn't help not being here for the games (barring the one time I got the time wrong...), I still feel gutted that you feel as if my lack of activity has been a major reason for giving it up. I feel guilty for something I basically had no control of, barring phoning in sick to work or letting friends down. And that was before this tirade. And I'm not entirely sure that that's fair.

2) I'm not sure that your perceived levels of players enthusiasm are accurate. As an example, I ran that Hunger Games thing back along. I have no idea what people thought of that really, as there weren't many posts about it. But it wasn't exactly a game that required massive amounts of posting... so I didn't take the lack of posts or whatever as a lack of interest. And I feel like maybe you need to do the same with this. Outside of the games, there isn't that much to post about.

3) I prioritized trying to get up to speed on this over my own games. THIS WAS NOT TO BLAME FOR THE FAILURE OR WHATEVER OF THOSE GAMES! I'm simply saying that that's how dedicated toward it I was. (You probably won't believe that, and I can't prove it, but that's how it is to me. Though I have no posts or evidence to show for it, I know I sat at my computer for a fair bit of time trying to get my head around those game and keeping up to date with it)

4) Could you possibly rethink one or two aspects to try to do it again in future? I see lots of potential in THW and I think it'd be a shame if you shit canned it without giving it another chance.

Well whatever. Make of all that what you will. Perhaps you'll think that bits (or all) of it is bullshit. The basic fact is, with regards to specific times, my job and life mean it'll always be hard to show up at set times. And often I won't know until very late on that I can't make it. And I think I've been fair in letting people know that and there are examples of it... The Hunger Games, 1FF Wars, Superstar Wars, all games designed with as few set times as possible.

But, if I do happen to get here at a time, you must know that I'll be into it as much as anybody. Take the ONE EXAMPLE of something I was here on the deadline for on THW... the very first pre game challenge. Who was the first person to get back to you?

My lack of showing up has been an issue for a while now for other peoples games. I was the same in Grandstand, and even if Survivor I came close to getting booted for it... but when I was around, I managed to do so much that I survived for far longer than anybody thought I would. And that's not because I'm a fucking king of forum games, far from it. It's because of enthusiasm to deliver for my team as well as the person running it.

I'd like to think that when I am able to show up on these deadlines, I've given plenty of evidence to suggest that I'm fully committed to these things. I can absolutely, positively, guarantee that any time I'm not here, it's because I can't be here.

LR, if you really do have some kind of issue with me, drop me a PM. I feel like there's something more you need to get off of your chest and I want to discuss it with you. I feel pretty let down by this full fledged attack because I did think that we got along well. I hope it's just a case of you blowing up and just aiming all of your frustrations toward this game at me. But I seem to think that it isn't.

You've come in for stick because 3 times you've moaned about being booted out the game and how great a contestant you were, and how it was unfair - and it started to get annoying. When you first got booted out, I didn't plan to say anymore about it. I tried to make it light-hearted - Vince smileys etc. 3 times since then you've moaned about it. That's what's really wound me up.

Like I say, if you had just said "sorry for being inactive" like Rammy that would have been the end of it. If you had said nothing that would have been the end of it. Whether you had work and birthday parties every night, or even if you just wanted to do something else with your spare time - no one is obligated to come on. But clearly, if someone misses that many challenges in a row - it's not unfair to kick them out (regardless of their reasons for not being on), because clearly they are either too busy to play at certain times when a lot of the challenges happen or don't want to play (pick one).

The Go Compare guy challenge that was based on a board game for ages 10+. Yes, Rammy managed to give it a go despite not being on for the live sessions. So once again - more lame excuses. Just admit that you weren't an active contestant, and we move on. It was a somewhat complex challenge that someone couldn't pick up and play in 30 seconds, yes. But with a bit of effort and reading you could have got into it (even not being on for the live sessions). You probably thought "meh" and couldn't be arsed. That's not a crime, I'm no saint, I probably think that about certain things everyday....but like I say don't bullshit me/everyone else and pretend you've been some super enthusastic super comitted contestant in this. You say you didn't bother with certain aspects because Paul was playing already so you just left it to him? Really? Once again that's a lame excuse.

You even suggested that people who had turned up for challenges were some how less worthy of being in the game than you because apparently "you were reading/in the thread more than they were, and they just happened to be on at the right time". Those people might not have been at work, they may have been playing in their spare time but they still chose to take part in the challenges over doing other things in their spare time. So it annoyed me that you were almost taking a dig at people who actually were on for the challenges!

If your previous post was intended as a morale boost, it didn't read like that to me. It's easier to take advice about possible improvements to the game from someone like Lee who has actually really got involved in it. To be honest most of that post seemed to be about Superstar Wars/Top wrestlers/excuses when it should have been more simply "Sorry for being inactive" or just don't say anything. To me it just read like a politician's response and someone trying to absolve themself of any responsibility for a failed game.

To reitarate, people can do what they damn want to, it's a free country. Whether people can't take part because of personal crises, work or just because they don't feel like it - it's none of my business. Apologise for being inactive, or say nothing and we move on. However, don't post lame excuses such as "my team mates were inactive", "it was too complex" etc. and insist that actually you were some kind of comitted, active contestant - that's what I find annoying.

last request

Reaction score
Supports
Aston Villa
Now I went into too much detail about stuff that I feel I've had your back with on TFF/1FF, so sorry about that. I guess part of me, rightly or wrongly hoped that you would consider all that as motivation when you were taking part of this. Hey, maybe you did - but if you did then I didn't see the end results of that. There are no underlying issues between me and you, and I did take it too far yesterday - but I have found you repeatedly moaning about being booted out, and claims that you have been an active contestant in this annoying. But yeah, dragging things up from years ago that is water under the bridge is out of order on my part and not relevant to THW.

I was emotional yesterday, and still am to an extent. It is "just a forum game" but I am genuinely disappointed with how this one turned out. I'd be more worried if I wasn't upset about it. It does sort of stink that you and Magic have taken most of the flak when the game has failed for a variety of reasons - but as I keep saying - you both seem to have let out a lot of hot air since being booted out which has wound me up.

In terms of you on TFF/1FF in the past - this isn't calling into the question the work you have put into the forum games and features you have ran on here. You have even been a consistently good contestant in games I have ran before this. So thank you for all of that. I think you are one of the main reasons people come on 1FF (certainly for me anyway) because you are a very funny, entertaining and positive poster and none of that is in doubt in my mind. You are always at the top of my list for those favourite member features so clearly I don't think you're all bad!

hodge

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
I didn't think the games were overly complicated. Kill the GCG was a bit more difficult to grasp but I watched youtube videos of the game being played before we started and felt I understood it well enough to play. The happy masks was simple to understand, you were trying to read whether teams were going to go defensive with a killer early, trying to win with multiple good cards in their hand or bluffing. It would probably work quite well as a drinking game.

I also really enjoyed the music games, although I thought the one we had was a bit too easy but maybe because the first one on MU wasn't really guessed at (I would've been guessing every 2 minutes until I got the answer if I was playing that).

I found it the hardest one to understand and keep track of :lol:

Veggie Legs

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
Just over 300 posts in ours, most mini-game related. I don't know how many by each person but I think a pretty even split.

last request

Reaction score
Supports
Aston Villa
How active were teams in their pm's then last request ? If you could remove spireds posts where he rants to himself that would make it more accurate.

I think I've said more than enough at this stage so I don't really want to single people out more than I have done already with the exact stats. Let's just say some PM convos were more active than others.

Spirederman

Forum Game King
Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield, We're Fucking Shit and Conference North Bound!!
122 plus however many on MU in ours but both Lee and LR know the reasons why I wasn't as active as previous forum games, and I'd rather keep it that way.

The only avoidable no show by me was last weekend which I spent in Manchester.

Oaf

Maharajah
Reaction score
Supports
PLIMUFF
Hm. LR, it seems that a problem between us here then is that you and I seem to have very different views on how I handled my exit. I was disappointed, but I actually actively made a point of not holding it against you or whinging about it in the thread because I could understand why you did it. Yet, somehow, it seems to have been perceived as me throwing my toys out of the pram... ?

"3 times you've moaned about being booted out the game and how great a contestant you were, and how it was unfair"

I don't think I ever said I was a great contestant (why would I?! I wasn't there! :lol:) and yeah, I said I felt hard done by (purely from my own perspective as I know the time I'd put into playing the game so it was a little gutting to see that fall to nothing, plus I thought it would have looked like a fun thing to be part of it anything happened to take part on days where I was free) but it was never held against you.

I want to try to find those three times I moaned about it... the only three posts between being booted and your little rampage last night are these:

HAHAHAHA. I bet I've been in this thread more than most people. Just not at the right times.

I don't think there's anything offensive in there... if there is, it certainly wasn't intended to offend or annoy. This was just an initial reaction to seeing that, despite my best efforts, I'd just been unlucky enough to keep having games happen during busy spells. As far as angry knee jerk reactions to things going against you go, I've seen worse.

:hesk:

Would you believe that I have 3 days off now. Could have been all over this.

That's 2 forum games in a row where I'll bet I've been more into it than most people but just haven't been able to come on at the right times so I've been booted out. I get that people don't want inactive people taking part in their games but I do feel incredibly hard done by.

Ok, so I can see I've clearly made an issue here in that the part in bold was nowhere near emphasized enough. Because really, I understood your decision and heck, after I'd had the time to let it settle in, I guess I even supported it. There's nothing like putting the effort into creating and running something like this only for people to not show up. And whether it's their fault or not, a game just won't work with inactive players.

But other than that, again, it's just a quiet grumble to myself about how that booting happened to take place bang on me suddenly getting 3 days off. And saying I feel hard done by because, again, I loved the look of it, had put a fair bit of time into keeping up to date, and it was all for nothing - due to bad luck, not due to you screwing me over or anything.

Again, I'm not sure it's all that bad, and if it's been perceived to be me saying you have made a bad decision or something, I am sorry.

It's a shame to have seen this game come to this. I think perhaps it's harder for you as the guy running it to see how enthusiastic people are about playing it. Like, I know for a fact that I was right into it which is why I was gutted and initially surprised to have been kicked off. But the fact is, I prioritized doing stuff in this over the top wrestlers feature in the fight forum and hadn't actually touched superstar wars in weeks (to the extent where I'm not even sure it'll be resurrected) due to trying to take part in this... and if somebody running two features who basically put them both to the side to take part is perceived as somebody who needs to be kicked off for a lack of activity... well, like I said, maybe it's just that difficult to gauge levels of interest.

Needing people to be on at a particular time probably holds it back. Or at least it does for me. I can't ever really guarantee I'll be on at a given time, and I guess a lot of people have trouble with that... that's why I run Wars the way I do with deadlines, but no absolute set times for things taking place. Any chance this could be redesigned without the set playing times?

Like I said, it's a shame, but if you're not enjoying the running of it then I don't think anybody can begrudge you stopping it.

This is the only mention of being kicked off... and it's not moaning about it (again, if it's perceived to be so, I do apologise but that's not the case), this is me saying that somebody who was really into it was perceived to be so disinterested that you felt the need to kick them off... again, this was me trying to say that people are probably a lot more into THW than you thought. This is supposed to be a damned compliment and something to keep you wanting to run the game, FFS, not a criticism or a knock on you!! :lol:

Those are the posts that warranted that attack? Where I "let out a lot of hot air"?

Also, you seemed to misread a part of my last post, or maybe I just fucked it up, but sorry, yeah, I did say I understood the GCG game in the end after reading through it. No excuses there besides not being able to turn up... or getting the time wrong on the one day I could turn up :bang:

The Mask game though... yeah, I never got that. Call me thick if you want by implying it's a game for kids again, but I didn't have a scooby.

You even suggested that people who had turned up for challenges were some how less worthy of being in the game than you

I did? I can't seem to find that part. Unless it's:

"That's 2 forum games in a row where I'll bet I've been more into it than most people but just haven't been able to come on at the right times so I've been booted out"

That's about the closest I can find.... Maybe the part about me betting that I was more into it that most other people, but that's not a knock on them, that's just referring to the fact that I get really into these things. And that doesn't say anything about booting other people out ahead of me. Or anything again you or Lee for this or Grandstand. It's simply me hating the universe for the fact that it's happened to me twice. Not the people living in said universe and playing these games.

So again, I'm not really sure about the post in question. The one where I say others are less worthy of being in the game than me or I take a dig at these people. The idea of doing so just seems like madness to me.

It seems that what you want is for me to acknowledge that I wasn't here. I do apologise, I actually thought that it was blatantly obvious by... well, the fact that I wasn't here. So here you go: I wasn't an active player during the times it mattered. I thought that was obvious, but if you wanted me to say it, there it is.

But it pisses me off to see somebody saying I just didn't give a shit when I know for a fact that I sat on my PC whenever I could to keep up to date and at least try to get up to speed and contribute in any way I could. I think there's a distinctive difference between wanting to take part and not being able to come online at half 7 on 11 given evenings. If I'd have known that I'd be busy every single one of those evening, I'd have sat it out as nobody wants inactive players. But I held onto the hope that I'd be able to make a contribution, which was, clearly, not even close to being the case. But short of calling in sick to take part, or letting people down after making arrangements, I couldn't do anything about it.

I'm not sure why I'd even say I wanted to take part if I had no interest. If I thought the game was shit but just didn't want to hurt your feelings, perhaps, but I thought it was a great idea and had some brilliant ideas in it. Which made it suck all the more that I couldn't take part. But not as much as knowing it was shit for you to have a guy in the game who just wasn't showing up. Trust me, I know how much of a nut you are when it comes to forum games (I've been on the receiving end of a few too many LR flavoured outbursts for decisions I've made :lol:) and I know you'd have poured your heart and soul into this. And yes, you've been more than helpful for me in the past with everything on here, not just forum games but shit, look at my Sig... I wouldn't even have that shit if it wasn't for you! I certainly don't want you to go away from this feeling as if I don't appreciate that, and yes, it made it hurt all the more that I wasn't able to do anything in return for you during your game, especially given the fact that you're one of the most committed people to my own games. You say I don't owe you anything in terms of that, but that's certainly not how it feels to me, and I'm sure that I'll never be able to pay you back in kind (just for recovering my sig alone :eek: ) .

Oh do fuck off Oaf you've done another monster post.

Last edited:

last request

Reaction score
Supports
Aston Villa
Let's just add yesterday's outburst to the list. Tbf it's been a good few months since the last time I got angry at you when you killed off my brooms a week early in 1FF Wars so I've had a good run.

Leewilson

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham and Redbridge
I've missed all the drama this weekend it seems. Don't know what LR posted now it's deleted but I'll stick to what I said before. Hopefully this doesn't put you off hosting future games LR as you have an excellent knack for it. Out of all the ones you've hosted, this is the only one that's failed. It was very ambitious and may well have worked better on a dedicated gaming forum. I do think this forum is more suited to the likes of Survivor and The Mole. I hope we see a Mole 2 at some point as well. March/April next year would be a good time to run something I think. It's enough of a break plus hopefully it concludes before people start summer holidaying.

Leewilson

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham and Redbridge

It's edited so all the text is missing as well.

Leewilson

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham and Redbridge
What's Mole?

The Mole was good. There was about 10 of us. 9 contestants trying to win and 1 who was made the mole. It was the Mole's job to try and disrupt each task so we lost (what he got for it, I can't quite remember and what we got for winning each week, I can't quite remember). He had to disrupt as subtle as possible obviously.

Each week, there was a vote off. Everybody had to try and vote off the Mole. There was much more to it than that, LR will be able to add more detail.

Aber gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol rovers
The Mole was good. There was about 10 of us. 9 contestants trying to win and 1 who was made the mole. It was the Mole's job to try and disrupt each task so we lost (what he got for it, I can't quite remember and what we got for winning each week, I can't quite remember). He had to disrupt as subtle as possible obviously.

Each week, there was a vote off. Everybody had to try and vote off the Mole. There was much more to it than that, LR will be able to add more detail.
Anyway..
When are you doing another Grandstand? I liked that

Rammy

Lost Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supports
Derby
Twitter
@James_DCFC
I can 100% understand how annoyed LR is here. I know from preparing the GameShow Marathon how much work goes in to getting these games set up, and it must really feel like he's wasted that time. So sorry for that, LR.

I missed a lot of the live stuff of the GCG game, but I loved it. Got a strategy set up as a backup plan, which I think worked well to an extent. The mask game I just couldn't get my head around, (even after the example that was posted up) so I left Magic to it since he'd seemed to have a bit of grasp on it. Then I just got busy/useless.

hodge

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
That mole game sounds decent

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!