THE (Revived) RELEASE LIST - Summer 2017

The Jovial Forester

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
Ours up on the official site: https://www.forestgreenroversfc.com/news/first-team-news/2017/retained-and-released-list-announced Chemlal had looked handy but never got a look-in and was loaned out soon enough, probably not league standard anyway. Of the loanees we had would love to keep Woolery obviously and also Tilt who looked pacy and potentially another Pinnock,though suppose the signing of Collins makes that less likely. Bet we get Cooper Jnr but wouldn't be bothered if we don't.

Tom_CUFC

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Any Cambridge fans on here?
I've heard a terrible rumour that Ben Williamson may resurface in burslem.
Was he as crap for you as he was for us?

15/16 he was brilliant the 5 months he was here, energetic, effective out wide and through the middle and got double figures for us. We were all very content with him starting up front alongside Corr going into the season.

Couldn't have been a bigger contrast in the end. Looked lacklustre and devoid of confidence in pre-season and it only got worse as time went on. Missed a sitter against Luton early in the season, barely moved when on the pitch and wasn't even looking like he might get in a position to shoot let alone score. 1 goal, a 120th minute deflected strike against a Dover team chasing the game, in 40 odd appearances says it all. He's got no hope in this division anymore.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Willo actually was alright even at League One for us. Nothing special but did a job BUT he is a massive confidence player! Wouldn't want him back especially if we can get Tyler Walker in to partner the returning legend then I'd be happy with that front two in league two next season.

Glad we've got rid of Hooper too. Absolutely lazy and don't envy whoever gets him.

Randolph Haggerty

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I was being a bit harsh on the lad tbf, he had his moments for us, but as with you, he looked completely devoid of anything at the end of his time here.
Had we had him last season, he would've been our best striker! Says it all about last season really.
Agree about hooper, ended the season before very well, thought he would come on this year, gone backwards.
I pity the fools who sign him.
Non league beckons.

Hatter86

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
So our release and retained list has been announced...

'As manager Nathan Jones and his staff continue to make decisions on their squad for the 2017-18 campaign, we can start today by confirming the initial release of five professionals when their contracts with Luton Town come to an end this summer.

Defender Stephen O’Donnell, midfielder Danny Green, forwards Zane Banton and Craig Mackail-Smith and goalkeeper Liam Gooch will leave Kenilworth Road when their contracts expire on 30th June.

We are pleased to announce that goalkeeper Craig King and defender Dan Potts will be offered new contracts, and the club’s option to extend teenage centre-half Frankie Musonda’s one-year contract will be implemented.

Youth team captain Kavan Cotter, who made his senior debut in the Checkatrade Trophy win at Gillingham last August, has been offered his first professional contract with the club.

The four other second-year scholars – Harry Bean, George Murray, Jack Snelus and James Verney – have all been released along with third-year Geo Craig.

The two loan players who completed the season with the Hatters, goalkeeper Stuart Moore and striker Ollie Palmer, will return to their parent clubs Reading and Leyton Orient respectively.'

Probably the right decisions on all players. King deserves a new deal and you have to wonder why he wasn't given a shot during our keeper crisis this year. I was no Dan Potts fan but he has put in some great performances since we siwtched to wing backs. Frankie is worth another year but needs to step up as he has been over taken by Famewo somewhat.

CMS was always going to go, just never worked for him. Shame for Danny Green however it's a been a serious injury and has had no oppurtunity under Jones to show what he can do. Banton is liked by the club but showed no signs of pushing on. Harsh on Liam Gooch, but we don't need two young keepers. Stephen O'Donnell, well. I would have kept him, however I'm probably the only one who would.

From the limited amount I have seen of the youth team boys I have kept Snelus but the others haven't kicked on after their FA Youth Cup exploits.

I don't think we'll see either of the loanees back. Moore looks broken after his playoff calamity, deleted his twitter due to some idiots giving him abuse and has been released by Reading. Ollie Palmer was solid enough but we need better

So what do we need? A senior full time keeper, obviously. If we are going 3 CB's and wingbacks we need a commanding, powerful center half to head balls away all day to offer competition to our existing CB's. We'll need another wing back to give JJ competition. We need one more striker, someone who offers something different to what we have. A natural finisher like James Collins perhaps. In midfield we need at least two, an attacking player and an experienced central midfielder to command and control. We'll also need a quality number 10 if/when McGeehan goes.

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Probably the right decisions on all fronts there I think, Potts did just enough at the end of the season to earn a deal, but would expect that Senior will kick on and be first choice next season. Glad to see the back of O'Donnell, works hard but technically just a terrible, terrible player and a liability at times defensively. Would expect him to go back to Scotland or drop down into non league football.

CMS going should free up some wages to bring some decent players in and I'm assuming that McGeehan is off so should have a bit of money to go and get what we need.

We don't need major surgery I don't think, just 3 or so outfield additions.

Hatter86

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
I think a few more than that personally. 4 or 5 outfield plus a keeper. I'd expect a few more to be transfer listed also. Could Mullins be off? Fell right out of favour after his second red card. Most want Cook gone but Jones loves him and he won't go anywhere. Ollie Lee? Maybe although Jones very publicly backed him.

Could be in for a bit of investment mind. Word is we have the final £200k from the Gray deal now Burnley have stayed up bringing the total value of the deal over £2million now I believe? Plus you'd expect more than a £1million if McGeehan goes. So who knows. If we are flush there could be more changes than we anticpiate.

Judge Dredd

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Probably the right decisions on all fronts there I think, Potts did just enough at the end of the season to earn a deal, but would expect that Senior will kick on and be first choice next season. Glad to see the back of O'Donnell, works hard but technically just a terrible, terrible player and a liability at times defensively. Would expect him to go back to Scotland or drop down into non league football.

CMS going should free up some wages to bring some decent players in and I'm assuming that McGeehan is off so should have a bit of money to go and get what we need.

Agreed on all. Wonder if Dagenham need a right back...

We don't need major surgery I don't think, just 3 or so outfield additions.

For me we need:

1 or 2x goalkeepers (one really good one would do me but Jones seemed to suggest the deal for the Norwich yoof as back-up to a main man was all but done a few weeks back, which I guess means King out on loan somewhere)

1x right back - can't expect Justin to play every game even if we do fend off the inevitable interest. He's young and it's a physically demanding position, as it stands we don't really have anyone able to fill in there (unless there's another youngster coming through). We've got three options for left back so I can't imagine we'd leave ourselves with just the one right back.

1x centre back - probably not the most essential and I doubt we will make a move here but personally I'd be happy to move Mullins on and sign someone bigger, stronger, meaner, louder - we need leaders throughout the team and someone to take charge at set-pieces. McNulty with a six-pack and pace would be ideal, not sure where you'd get one of them from mind.

1-3x midfielders - this is the hardest one to assess, we *obviously* need to improve here but we also may not have huge room to manoeuvre in the market as we have more than 2 players for each position and all are under contract. Even if McGeehan leaves we still have 8 senior pros for 4 positions, although one is Rea who will play a lot further back I suppose. I'd like us to do what we can to get rid of Lee, Smith and Cook, although we know Cook won't be going anywhere and I'm not sure Lee will either. If Lee and Smith go that would be room in the squad for a proper deep-lying playmaker for the base of the diamond and an experienced box-to-box type to lead the team from the middle - again, easier said than done. If McGeehan goes for big money that should help us sign real quality but would you try to replace him directly? I would if by some miracle Jones sees the light and bombs Cook out, but if he stays we don't really have the room in the squad after the Gambin/D'Ath signings in January.

1x striker - preferably a big man but needs to be much better than Palmer. Someone like James Collins from Crawley who we were linked with a few weeks back would fit the bill nicely.

So in an ideal world for me we'd be shipping out another 4 (5 if King goes out on loan, 6 if McGeehan goes) and bringing in 7-8. I doubt it will be that extensive though - more than likely Mullins and Cook will stay and Lee might well too, so we'll probably be in the market for 5-6 players including the keepers I would guess.

One thing is clear - next season it really will be Jones's squad, there's only a handful of players left who pre-date Jones and he's chosen to extend the contracts of most of them (it's really only Smudger who was here before NJ and hasn't been given a new contract by him I think?). There can be no excuses next season.

Hatter86

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
One thing is clear - next season it really will be Jones's squad, there's only a handful of players left who pre-date Jones and he's chosen to extend the contracts of most of them (it's really only Smudger who was here before NJ and hasn't been given a new contract by him I think?). There can be no excuses next season.

Had completely forgotten Smudger. He'll definitely be off.

You'd think CMS and Green were at the higher end of our wage bill too, so there may well be some more money to bring some quality in in the midfield.

Judge Dredd

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Doyle would have been on a decent wedge too. I imagine our wage bill looks pretty healthy currently, even moreso if McGeehan goes although I'd love him to stay (a whole season of Cook as the main man at #10 is going to be painful).

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Looking at the squad again from this season I still for the life of me can't make head nor tail what Jones was thinking with our midfield this season. The moves in January were baffling and to a certain extent whistling past the graveyard. Massively naive of him to think you can just play 4 fancy dan ball players (most of whom flatter to deceive in terms of actual end product) and get out of this league IMO and with most under contract puts us in a bit of bind in terms of changes there for next season.

Just remembered he played Gilliead as a centre mid for a large part of the season as well! Hope he has learned his lessons there.

Hatter86

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
There is an element of square peg/round holes about it. I like both Gambin and D'ath, particualrly the latter and think he could be a big player for us if played in the correct position. Gods knows where that is mind...

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Looking at the squad again from this season I still for the life of me can't make head nor tail what Jones was thinking with our midfield this season. The moves in January were baffling and to a certain extent whistling past the graveyard. Massively naive of him to think you can just play 4 fancy dan ball players (most of whom flatter to deceive in terms of actual end product) and get out of this league IMO and with most under contract puts us in a bit of bind in terms of changes there for next season.

Just remembered he played Gilliead as a centre mid for a large part of the season as well! Hope he has learned his lessons there.
But we still came 4th... without McGeehan.

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Doyle would have been on a decent wedge too. I imagine our wage bill looks pretty healthy currently, even moreso if McGeehan goes although I'd love him to stay (a whole season of Cook as the main man at #10 is going to be painful).
Doyle would've been a bloody good player for us even at the level above if he showed any desire to get fit.

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Could be in for a bit of investment mind. Word is we have the final £200k from the Gray deal now Burnley have stayed up bringing the total value of the deal over £2million now I believe? Plus you'd expect more than a £1million if McGeehan goes. So who knows. If we are flush there could be more changes than we anticpiate.
We're still owed £600,000 (being paid this summer) for Andre Gray. I believe this summer is the last of his sell on installments.

I think the board will be thinking, we were hoping/budgeting for L1 football next season, go for it anyway, even at L2 level.

That Fat Centre Half

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Bit harsh on the rest! Every team has their key players. Burgess and Doyle at Portsmouth spring to mind.

Was being glib to point out that the midfield had very little to do with us coming 4th and if anything were an impediment! Especially Lee, Cook et al.

oakroader

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Jeez....don't tell me the ex West Ham player (how embarrassing) mpansy is still here
Waste of space.....

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Luton Town squad 20/5:

Existing Contracts (19):
Johnny Mullins
Scott Cuthbert
Jake Gray
Cameron McGeehan
Danny Hylton
Jordan Cook
Jack Marriott
Glen Rea
Pelly Ruddock-Mpanzu
Olly Lee
Isaac Vassell
Jack Senior
Luke Gambin
Lawson D'Ath
Tyreeq Bakinson
James Justin
Frankie Musonda
Akin Famewo
Alan Sheehan

Offered New Contracts (3):
Dan Potts
Craig King
Kevan Cotter (first year pro)

Released (5):
Stephen O'Donnell
Craig Mackail-Smith
Zane Banton
Liam Gooch
Danny Green

Unknowns (2):
Jonathan Smith - probably released
Josh McQuoid - probably released

End of Loan (2):
Stuart Moore
Ollie Palmer

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Jeez....don't tell me the ex West Ham player (how embarrassing) mpansy is still here
Waste of space.....
He's not out of contract and had a £250,000 bid during the last August transfer window from Leeds. I'd sell him if we were offered that again.

oakroader

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
I'd drive him there....£250 grand?
They must of watched his 10 minutes of box to box running on tape thinking he was the new viera.... what an agent he must have...mugs

Judge Dredd

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Luton Town squad 20/5:

Existing Contracts (19):
Johnny Mullins
Scott Cuthbert
Jake Gray
Cameron McGeehan
Danny Hylton
Jordan Cook
Jack Marriott
Glen Rea
Pelly Ruddock-Mpanzu
Olly Lee
Isaac Vassell
Jack Senior
Luke Gambin
Lawson D'Ath
Tyreeq Bakinson
James Justin
Frankie Musonda
Akin Famewo
Alan Sheehan

Offered New Contracts (3):
Dan Potts
Craig King
Kevan Cotter (first year pro)

Released (5):
Stephen O'Donnell
Craig Mackail-Smith
Zane Banton
Liam Gooch
Danny Green

Unknowns (2):
Jonathan Smith - probably released
Josh McQuoid - probably released

End of Loan (2):
Stuart Moore
Ollie Palmer

Smudger isn't an "unknown", he's contracted for another year, same as Lee, Mullins, Cook et al. He'll probably be transfer listed but don't see why he'd fall under a different classification to Lee, we'll have to find him a club or pay him off if we want rid (actually I think there'd be a few takers at this level to be fair). McQuoid likewise is still under contract, hopefully the Chavs will take him on a permanent or we'll have to pay him off to get shot of him. He's another who is probably on a respectable wage actually, hopefully someone falls for the "a club once paid big money for him!" thing like we did.

Judge Dredd

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
They must of watched his 10 minutes of box to box running on tape thinking he was the new viera.... what an agent he must have...mugs

To be fair he absolutely ran Leeds ragged earlier that week, a Leeds-supporting mate who was in the away end that night said he was our best player by a mile. His early season form was very good, arguably our best player up until the end of the transfer window. Back to his inconsistent best since of course.

Kenneth E End

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Smudger isn't an "unknown", he's contracted for another year, same as Lee, Mullins, Cook et al. He'll probably be transfer listed but don't see why he'd fall under a different classification to Lee, we'll have to find him a club or pay him off if we want rid (actually I think there'd be a few takers at this level to be fair). McQuoid likewise is still under contract, hopefully the Chavs will take him on a permanent or we'll have to pay him off to get shot of him. He's another who is probably on a respectable wage actually, hopefully someone falls for the "a club once paid big money for him!" thing like we did.
Oh right. I thought they were both out of contract, which is quite annoying. On the latter I don't remember him signing an extension or 3-year contract? He'll be on £90,000 a year at least.

oakroader

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Inconsistent?? Nah..he was consistently over rated and under achieving in the half a dozen games that I went to see... at times he looked like bambi on ice ....
A few good blocks in defence....an odd defence splitting pass ....
then.....frustrating mis passes and forgetting his midfield obligations

Hatter86

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town

Disagree with this. Yes he is frustrating and his final touch can be at best described as fucking terrible, but he is the only man in our midfield that can go past people. He gave Blackpools right back hell on Thursday. I think they need to decide what they want him to be and then only play him in that position. He has played at the base of the diamond, centre midfield, a winger, a number 10 and a second striker this season. And he came to the club as a centre half. I'd say it's not altogether his fault that he doesn't always make the right decision as he's been asked to play in so many different roles.

Judge Dredd

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Oh right. I thought they were both out of contract, which is quite annoying. On the latter I don't remember him signing an extension or 3-year contract? He'll be on £90,000 a year at least.

Yeah both were given three year deals by Still (Smith actually has a clause for a fourth, not clear but the way it is worded sounds like he can trigger it).
http://www.lutontown.co.uk/news/art...w-three-year-luton-town-contract-2447685.aspx
http://www.lutontown.co.uk/news/art...bourenmouth-striker-josh-mcquoid-2511301.aspx

The McQuoid one always seemed a big risk given how his career was progressing. Smudger too really, a nice gesture as he had done fantastically well to come back from horror injury and be an important player for us, but three (potentially four) years for someone of his limited ability set and not exactly a youngster... odd.

oakroader

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Disagree with this. Yes he is frustrating and his final touch can be at best described as fucking terrible, but he is the only man in our midfield that can go past people. He gave Blackpools right back hell on Thursday. I think they need to decide what they want him to be and then only play him in that position. He has played at the base of the diamond, centre midfield, a winger, a number 10 and a second striker this season. And he came to the club as a centre half. I'd say it's not altogether his fault that he doesn't always make the right decision as he's been asked to play in so many different roles.
Hmmm...seems like it's tinker man jones..another baffling quandary,is to blame for Mpanseys dis orientation....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andy Butler
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!