Joining League Two for 24/25

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Said it before, but Ches are getting absolutely cooked next season unless they replace that entire defence. Gonna end up conceding about 25 more goals than our shambles in that league.

chief

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Said it before, but Ches are getting absolutely cooked next season unless they replace that entire defence. Gonna end up conceding about 25 more goals than our shambles in that league.
They were well off both of us last season and wouldn't say they've massively improved, they're just that much better than the rest of the league. I think they'll be fine at this level and will finish lower mid-table, but whoever goes up with them is going straight back down without some incredibly shrewd signings, serious investment or an incredible amount of luck.

If you hadn't hired that competition winner after losing Williams, you'd probably be playoffs or battling for them.

spireite

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
They were well off both of us last season and wouldn't say they've massively improved, they're just that much better than the rest of the league. I think they'll be fine at this level and will finish lower mid-table, but whoever goes up with them is going straight back down without some incredibly shrewd signings, serious investment or an incredible amount of luck.

If you hadn't hired that competition winner after losing Williams, you'd probably be playoffs or battling for them.
Oh fwiw we're massively improved on last season. Naylor, Grigg, Jacobs, Tyrer big additions, especially Naylor, he's made a huge difference. I remember this time last season we were out getting panic loan strikers backend of the season because we couldn't score goals. I think our only striker was Joe Quigley. It goes without saying though that we're going to have to invest in this defence a lot. I can't see many of them being here next season tbh.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Given we are almost certainly going to be back down here next season who are the most likely from the Conference playoffs? Looking at Oldhams squad with the likes of Norwood in it either it’s a huge case of mismanagement or that league is better than I thought that they are outside the playoffs. Personally speaking would be nice to see Alty do it.

spireite

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Given we are almost certainly going to be back down here next season who are the most likely from the Conference playoffs? Looking at Oldhams squad with the likes of Norwood in it either it’s a huge case of mismanagement or that league is better than I thought that they are outside the playoffs. Personally speaking would be nice to see Alty do it.
Oldham were mis-managed with that chunky joke manager they had in early doors. Mellon has sorted them out a bit, and like you say with their attacking options (Norwood, Joe Garner, Dallas to name a few) could be a weapon in the playoffs if they get there. Could be a season too soon, though. The rest is a lottery, I couldn't pin my hat on any one of them. Halifax the form team in the league at the moment although always seem to shit themselves in the playoffs. It'll be fascinating to watch it playout, as is the relegation battle although I guess you give less of a shit about that.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Oldham were mis-managed with that chunky joke manager they had in early doors. Mellon has sorted them out a bit, and like you say with their attacking options (Norwood, Joe Garner, Dallas to name a few) could be a weapon in the playoffs if they get there. Could be a season too soon, though. The rest is a lottery, I couldn't pin my hat on any one of them. Halifax the form team in the league at the moment although always seem to shit themselves in the playoffs. It'll be fascinating to watch it playout, as is the relegation battle although I guess you give less of a shit about that.

I’d fancy Bromley, just feels their time, seem to be around it every year. They’re one who might be able to establish themselves as well, get decent enough crowds and baldy Woodman would build a team to bully its way to safety in this league comfortably enough I reckon.

spireite

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
I’d fancy Bromley, just feels their time, seem to be around it every year. They’re one who might be able to establish themselves as well, get decent enough crowds and baldy Woodman would build a team to bully its way to safety in this league comfortably enough I reckon.
Yeah I think they'd be fine. Got shit housing down to a fine art. Could be them definitely. You'd worry slightly for them against a more expansive team on that big Wembley pitch, if they were to get that far.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Oh fwiw we're massively improved on last season. Naylor, Grigg, Jacobs, Tyrer big additions, especially Naylor, he's made a huge difference. I remember this time last season we were out getting panic loan strikers backend of the season because we couldn't score goals. I think our only striker was Joe Quigley. It goes without saying though that we're going to have to invest in this defence a lot. I can't see many of them being here next season tbh.

My other worry beyond the defence for yous would be the age of some of your better players, seem to have a lot in their 30s. Biggest difference about this level for me has been the hard running of other teams, especially in midfield. You don’t notice much of a gap in technical quality at all, or basic physicality really, but pretty much every team can maintain a decent press for 90 minutes and still has the energy to kill you on the counter in the last few minutes (extra subs maybe a factor there).

Most teams in the NL were cooked by 70 mins if we had all the possession, but that doesn’t really happen in this league. Bostock has been the most noticeable one for us - he ran games last season but has really struggled this one.

spireite

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
My other worry beyond the defence for yous would be the age of some of your better players, seem to have a lot in their 30s. Biggest difference about this level for me has been the hard running of other teams, especially in midfield. You don’t notice much of a gap in technical quality at all, or basic physicality really, but pretty much every team can maintain a decent press for 90 minutes and still has the energy to kill you on the counter in the last few minutes (extra subs maybe a factor there).

Most teams in the NL were cooked by 70 mins if we had all the possession, but that doesn’t really happen in this league. Bostock has been the most noticeable one for us - he ran games last season but has really struggled this one.
Do you think Palmer absence has highlighted Bostocks deficiencies more? I do see what you're saying about age, although other than Mike Jones (who's not a regular) they're early 30's rather than late 30's, which considering we have a fair few young players I don't think it's any bad thing. I have mentioned before though I have a slight concern about Grigg, he'll be kicking 33 in a harder league. You do tend to think if we feed him chances he'll continue to take them although I'd like another option, we've only got 2 strikers on the books. Grimes was awful tonight at CB, I think we'll live to regret that extension

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Do you think Palmer absence has highlighted Bostocks deficiencies more? I do see what you're saying about age, although other than Mike Jones (who's not a regular) they're early 30's rather than late 30's, which considering we have a fair few young players I don't think it's any bad thing. I have mentioned before though I have a slight concern about Grigg, he'll be kicking 33 in a harder league. You do tend to think if we feed him chances he'll continue to take them although I'd like another option, we've only got 2 strikers on the books. Grimes was awful tonight at CB, I think we'll live to regret that extension

Yeah Palmer’s injury killed us as a team for the season really, but particularly Bostock. Been an absolute shadow of the player since, would be surprised if he got a new deal now really.

I was amazed you gave Grimes an extension. We did the same thing with Rawlinson, got him on a deal until the end of next season and we can’t play him because he’s just too slow for this league.

spireite

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Yeah Palmer’s injury killed us as a team for the season really, but particularly Bostock. Been an absolute shadow of the player since, would be surprised if he got a new deal now really.

I was amazed you gave Grimes an extension. We did the same thing with Rawlinson, got him on a deal until the end of next season and we can’t play him because he’s just too slow for this league.
Honestly it was awful, Halifax were quick on the break on that ridiculous cabbage patch pitch of theirs (game shouldn't have passed inspection really) but it was just a diagonal between LB/RB and CB and they had Grimes turning like the #45 bus every single time, painful to watch. He's like the juggernaut in a straight line but has all the agility of a JCB. Wish we'd not bothered.

That said I remember having Ian Evatt, Sam Hird, Tom Anderson, Charlie Raglan and the likes in the EFL and you wouldn't call them speedsters. Maguires doing alright at Crawley by all accounts too and he's not particularly quick. We probably suffer the same issue as yourselves, our style can leave the defence high and dry sometimes.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town

We’ve been told apparently that there apparently isn’t any difference between league 2 and the conference? We did that when we won the conference, tire out the crap team and win, the amount of times chesterfield have came behind shows that still appears to be the case, that simply doesn’t work in league 2, as you say extra fitness/players helps.

In fairness though jacob, if you had a defence you’d be up the top still with your players you’d be playoff bound at least.

Cooks too savvy to get caught out, can’t see that happening with chesterfield.

Technically county win the non-league bragging rights, you came back up in 4 years, us in 5 and chesterfield in 6.

Last edited:

spireite

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
I really hate Mandeville, I think it's because he's all skin and bones. Makes me feel sick to look at him.
the mans a hunk are you real

1710981068781.png

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
We’ve been told apparently that there apparently isn’t any difference between league 2 and the conference? We did that when we won the conference, tire out the crap team and win, the amount of times chesterfield have came behind shows that still appears to be the case, that simply doesn’t work in league 2, as you say extra fitness/players helps.

In fairness though jacob, if you had a defence you’d be up the top still with your players you’d be playoff bound at least.

Cooks too savvy to get caught out, can’t see that happening with chesterfield.

Technically county win the non-league bragging rights, you came back up in 4 years, us in 5 and chesterfield in 6.

Agree with all that. Most teams in NL just didn't see the ball against us and their press could only last so long.

Bragging rights = less #stained and a more successful NL side :lol: Not proud but I'll take it.

Last edited:

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
Oldham have tried to go down the route of just signing strikers in the hope they can outscore teams, which hasn't massively worked (although the play-offs aren't out the question). Of the sides realistically in the running to come up with Chesterfield:

Barnet - Probably the most rounded of the teams chasing the top spots, got some good forwards in that squad plus a reasonable backline.

Bromley - They might play attritional stuff at times but they know how to get results. Don't concede too many, and have some wily NL players in their squad who know the score. They've been in and around the play-offs for several seasons now, their time will surely come.

Solihull - Gone a bit under the radar this season after losing a lot of their better players over the last 18 months and frankly being a side that, like Bromley, is doing more or less as well as they have been for the past few years meaning no shock value. The return to fitness of Joe Sbarra is massive for them, and Tahvon Campbell is scoring on a regular basis now. They have one of the divisions best midfielders in Jamey Osborne.

Aldershot - A little bit 'all or nothing' for Aldershot this season in my opinion. A lot of their success is down to the scoring form of Stokes and Tolaj, with the former already having been sold to Bristol City and loaned back. I don't think either of those players will be at the club next season, but if they can get over the line and back to the EFL they might be ok with a little bit of pocket money from their sales. Don't come up this season and lots of pressure on their recruitment to replace those two.

Halifax - Lowest scorers in the top half, but nearly the best defensive record. They're tight, organised and work hard. Not much more to add to that, although their pudding of a pitch could be a big factor with plenty of games still to be played on it potentially.

Altrincham - The divisional entertainers, a squad with some great attacking options and a reasonably settled unit. Conn-Clarke the obvious stand out, but excellent seasons from others such as Newby, Linney, Osborne have seen Alty really make a proper go of it this year. On their day they can blitz anyone.

Gateshead - This lot were in a similar position to Alty pre-xmas and before Williamson left for MK Dons. They were ripping sides apart, playing champagne football. The loss of the boss slowed them right down, along with the subsequent departures of key players like Wearne and Lofthouse who followed to MK. They've done remarkably well to be consistent though, still winning plenty of games to give themselves a great shot.

Oldham - As I said earlier they've gone all out on the forwards, sort of neglecting the rest. They aren't terrible defensively at all, but they're a little too easy to get at. A lot of their games tend to be tight affairs, so in those situations having a strong attacking line up is probably a useful thing to be able to call upon. Very hard to get patterns of play and partnerships sorted when you're constantly changing things though.

As others have said it really is anyone's guess who comes up though, it's a really interesting battle all over with plenty of different styles involved. My gut feeling says that Gateshead and Halifax will miss out on the play-offs altogether, but after that I haven't got a bloody clue.

DippyDon

Reaction score
Supports
MK Dons
Twitter
@Dippydon_95
What I want is wholly dependent on what league we are in next year.

Carlisle are done for, and of rest of the current bottom 4 I think the only team that looks like they're putting up any fight is Fleetwood (only because they've stopped losing, they're still rarely winning) meaning they could stay up at the extent of one of Cambridge or Burton. I prefer trips to both of them over all of the bottom 4 so I'd rather they stay up/go down over Fleetwood, Cheltenham or Vale depending on us.

The National League is fun though, I love that style of play offs. I think I'd want Bromley up if we stay down here for a different London away day but Solihull Moors isn't that difficult to get to either.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
We are all but down, we've not won in 2024 and look totally devoid of any confidence and fight, we have Burton Saturday which could see us close in, its mental we are still in with a chance largely due to Burton and Cambridge nose diving but haven't taken advantage of that at all!

Will be interesting to see how we do, we've kind of morphed into Crewe almost, we've a really positive youth set up now with some kids breaking through (and being thrown in the deep end unfairly), one made his England U-17 debut scoring twice last night for example and we've flogged a couple for big money... this investment along with others (T-Zone, Stand Swap, Pitch, Facilities) have come at a detriment to the first team though.

Will be interesting to see what Carol does to try and bounce back, she's just had £180 million into their business and rumoured to be spending big money on Darren Moore and some rumours she will "go all in" now but as we all know throwing money at it doesn't always work and David Flitcroft spending said money after three disastrous transfer windows for him doesn't overly fill me with confidence.

I would expect us to be strong next season, certainly far better than previous relegated Vale sides that have struggled as we are not a "basket case" and so forth but we've a lot of sorting out to do in the summer. Hopefully the youngsters will benefit at least from being a level down.

Certainly be interesting and a tough league and we know what its about so no complacency from the fans on how easy it will be too bounce back.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Pretty sure Clough is a Chris Conn Clarke admirer.

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
Pretty sure Clough is a Chris Conn Clarke admirer.
I think anyone with eyes would be, probably the most obvious young talent in that league for the past 18 months.

Quite why Fleetwood let him go is still a mystery.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
I think anyone with eyes would be, probably the most obvious young talent in that league for the past 18 months.

Clough is not the sort to typically go for the obvious though, be interesting to see where he ends up.

spireite

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Oldham have tried to go down the route of just signing strikers in the hope they can outscore teams, which hasn't massively worked (although the play-offs aren't out the question). Of the sides realistically in the running to come up with Chesterfield:

Barnet - Probably the most rounded of the teams chasing the top spots, got some good forwards in that squad plus a reasonable backline.

Bromley - They might play attritional stuff at times but they know how to get results. Don't concede too many, and have some wily NL players in their squad who know the score. They've been in and around the play-offs for several seasons now, their time will surely come.

Solihull - Gone a bit under the radar this season after losing a lot of their better players over the last 18 months and frankly being a side that, like Bromley, is doing more or less as well as they have been for the past few years meaning no shock value. The return to fitness of Joe Sbarra is massive for them, and Tahvon Campbell is scoring on a regular basis now. They have one of the divisions best midfielders in Jamey Osborne.

Aldershot - A little bit 'all or nothing' for Aldershot this season in my opinion. A lot of their success is down to the scoring form of Stokes and Tolaj, with the former already having been sold to Bristol City and loaned back. I don't think either of those players will be at the club next season, but if they can get over the line and back to the EFL they might be ok with a little bit of pocket money from their sales. Don't come up this season and lots of pressure on their recruitment to replace those two.

Halifax - Lowest scorers in the top half, but nearly the best defensive record. They're tight, organised and work hard. Not much more to add to that, although their pudding of a pitch could be a big factor with plenty of games still to be played on it potentially.

Altrincham - The divisional entertainers, a squad with some great attacking options and a reasonably settled unit. Conn-Clarke the obvious stand out, but excellent seasons from others such as Newby, Linney, Osborne have seen Alty really make a proper go of it this year. On their day they can blitz anyone.

Gateshead - This lot were in a similar position to Alty pre-xmas and before Williamson left for MK Dons. They were ripping sides apart, playing champagne football. The loss of the boss slowed them right down, along with the subsequent departures of key players like Wearne and Lofthouse who followed to MK. They've done remarkably well to be consistent though, still winning plenty of games to give themselves a great shot.

Oldham - As I said earlier they've gone all out on the forwards, sort of neglecting the rest. They aren't terrible defensively at all, but they're a little too easy to get at. A lot of their games tend to be tight affairs, so in those situations having a strong attacking line up is probably a useful thing to be able to call upon. Very hard to get patterns of play and partnerships sorted when you're constantly changing things though.

As others have said it really is anyone's guess who comes up though, it's a really interesting battle all over with plenty of different styles involved. My gut feeling says that Gateshead and Halifax will miss out on the play-offs altogether, but after that I haven't got a bloody clue

Decent and pretty fair sum up, that.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Wow, some of those teams
:lol:

Highly unlikely but would be class if alty made it.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Surprised Oldham haven't really pushed on, decent squad and the signing on Tom Conlon in January stood out, I expected him to boss it down there but doesn't appear to have, he was one of the best L2 midfielders in the behind closed doors season and the first half of our promotion season until his bad injury.

Struggled with the step up it seemed to L1 (he was one I expected would step up easily) but wonder if the injury has had an effect on him.

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham

Always looks a bit overweight and can't seem to last 90 minutes.

That said, clearly very talented and surely destined for a bigger club than Alty. I agree it's weird that Fleetwood seemed so keen to get rid of him.

spireite

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Surprised Oldham haven't really pushed on, decent squad and the signing on Tom Conlon in January stood out, I expected him to boss it down there but doesn't appear to have, he was one of the best L2 midfielders in the behind closed doors season and the first half of our promotion season until his bad injury.

Struggled with the step up it seemed to L1 (he was one I expected would step up easily) but wonder if the injury has had an effect on him.
They nicked one of Altrinchams best midfielders too which I thought was a canny move. Raglan was a good defensive pickup. They've got a good squad, it's just that banter manager they had, only thing he can manage is a steak and kidney pie. If Micky Mellon had been there all season they'd be comfortably around the 2nd/3rd spot I reckon. They'd even maybe be my playoff winner pick if you had a gun to my head. I just think a player like Norwood in those tight games would be the difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!