Stickied The Last Film You Saw Thread (& Discussion)

Stevencc

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
°
That's some change of direction on the shite you've been watching recently mate! :lol:

Hey now, they both have their merits!

It is a change of pace though, I admit...

SALTIRE

Slàinte mhath!
Reaction score
Supports
A guid dram
Hey now, they both have their merits!

It is a change of pace though, I admit...
Nothing the matter with watching shite films now and again for a laugh, but wasn't that about a dozen you've been devouring over the last week or two!?! :p

Stevencc

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
°
Nothing the matter with watching shite films now and again for a laugh, but wasn't that about a dozen you've been devouring over the last week or two!?! :p

Honestly I loved the earlier ones but the last few were a chore to get through.

Last edited:

Leo

To be a rock and not to roll.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
a wife and now 2 cats
Jack Reacher (2012)
Okay film i suppose with Tom Cruise, i did like Robert Duvall for the last 30 minutes though he made me smile with a few quips. 6/10.
Seen that one when it came out and saw the new one a couple of weeks ago....was okay. You read the books at all ? Far better. One reason I just couldn't get into the films is that Cruise is a midget and the character he plays (Reacher) is 6' 5" & 250lbs.

mowgli

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe Wanderers
Seen that one when it came out and saw the new one a couple of weeks ago....was okay. You read the books at all ? Far better. One reason I just couldn't get into the films is that Cruise is a midget and the character he plays (Reacher) is 6' 5" & 250lbs.
Not read the books mate. Won't be watching the 2nd film but might be tempted to read the book.

SALTIRE

Slàinte mhath!
Reaction score
Supports
A guid dram
Honestly I loved the earlier ones but the last few were a chore to get through.
Yeah I know what you mean tbh. I did all the Carry On films last year and they started off great (ok the very early ones weren't hilarious, but they had their moments), hit a peak in the mid-Sixties, but by the time of Carry On At Your Convenience, they were falling away badly. I got through ten mins of Carry On Emmanuelle before I called it quits and that was that!

It is interesting when comparing books to films and whether a direct comparison between novel and screen is justified though as they both have their merits in that those who haven't read the books will be introduced to the series, and those that have read them can see them being brought to screen, even if the lead character in the films doesn't truly represent the character you have in your head when reading the books. As an example, I love the film Master & Commander and saw that the film was based upon a 21-book series about a naval Captain and his surgeon-cum-spy friend. I am halfway through the books, and love the series, but I now cannot picture Paul Bettany as an Irish spy agent with the way the film was made. Does it make a difference though if you like both and see they are two versions of the same stories?

Leo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
a wife and now 2 cats
Does it make a difference though if you like both and see they are two versions of the same stories?

To a degree I suppose but will depend on the individual's take upon both.It wouldn't be so bad if I knew that Cruise was a big guy but I know that he isn't and you can see that in the films. To be honest it is a good few years since I read the book about the first film and about 3 years since I read the book about the 2nd so I can't recall details about the plot so I can't fault the films on that point. Off the top of my head a film that I have seen (& got it on DVD) after I read the book & thought excellent casting & followed the plot is 'Shutter Island' starring Leonardo DiCaprio. Again I would say it is all down to the individual's perception.

PS....going back to the Jack Reacher/Tom Cruise conundrum....Perhaps the fact that I have read all of the Jack Reacher novels and his character is ingrained in my mind has something to do with my thinking.

epic73

Reaction score
Supports
Manchester United
Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

Not a movie. If it was a movie it would have been a bad movie.

0.6/10

M.essi

Dirk

Wir kommen wieder!
Reaction score
Supports
Hamburger SV
As an example, I love the film Master & Commander and saw that the film was based upon a 21-book series about a naval Captain and his surgeon-cum-spy friend. I am halfway through the books, and love the series, but I now cannot picture Paul Bettany as an Irish spy agent with the way the film was made. Does it make a difference though if you like both and see they are two versions of the same stories?

SALTIRE What a coincidence
I've begun with Patrick O'Brian's - Aubrey and Maturin Series on my e-reader a few weeks ago
I am really a fan of seafarer novels (and Pirate movies of the 40s and 50s). Especially from the napoleonic era. I don't know why I like them so much because I am going seasick in a rowing boat on a quiet lake :D
Years ago I saw the movie with Russell Crowe as Capt Jack Aubrey and Paul Bettany as Dr.Stephen Maturin and was fascinated. Later I tried to read the books in English but I was "beaten to death" by the huge amount of nautical terms in English.
But now I've decided to give it another try and this time I am reading the books in German, it's easier for me. I've already finished the first Band "Master and Commander" (in German it is called "Kurs auf Spaniens Küste (approx: Route to Spain's Coast) and I am now in the middle of the 2nd "Post Captain (in German: Feindliche Segel (Enemy Sails).
Brilliant stuff. I like it very much. Because I saw the movies first I've always Russell Crowe as Jack Aubry and Paul Bethany as Stephen Maturin in my Head. I can't do anything against it (although Jack Aubry is more of a Goldielocks in the books and Russell Crowe isn't)

PS....going back to the Jack Reacher/Tom Cruise conundrum....Perhaps the fact that I have read all of the Jack Reacher novels and his character is ingrained in my mind has something to do with my thinking.
Leo
I am a big fan of the Lee Childs novels about Jack Reacher but I boycott the Tom Cruise movies. Tbh I don't watch anything with him in it. I can't stand this Scientology idiot.

btw: Another one of my favourites is Ian Rankin with his brilliant Rebus Novels. I saw years ago a tv series with John Hannah as Rebus

Stevencc

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
°
Profondo rosso (Deep Red) (1975)

Very good. A gripping, suspenseful film that followed much of what the Bird with the Crystal Plumage set out in terms of plot and plot advancement. I don't think it was quite as effective as the previous film but it was excellent in its own right. This had more traditional horror elements and a RIDICULOUS (in a good way) soundtrack. I'd like to have a drink in the Blue Room.

8/10

Leo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
a wife and now 2 cats
Leo
I am a big fan of the Lee Childs novels about Jack Reacher but I boycott the Tom Cruise movies. Tbh I don't watch anything with him in it. I can't stand this Scientology idiot.

btw: Another one of my favourites is Ian Rankin with his brilliant Rebus Novels. I saw years ago a tv series with John Hannah as Rebus[/QUOTE]

I've just finished Rankin's latest Rebus book Dirk (Rather be the Devil) & excellent it is. I've read and got many of the Rebus set. Hannah wasn't bad as Rebus but have you seen any of the Rebus shows starring Ken Stott as him ? Now Ken Stott is how I imagine Rebus.....they are available on DVD if you're interested.

PS....I only went to see the Jack Reacher films to keep the wife happy mate otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.....:lol:

Stevencc

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
°
Axe (Lisa, Lisa) (1974)

An extremely low budget film in which three criminals on the run from the police are on the lookout for a place to lay low for a while. They comes across an old farmhouse and find that it is only inhabited by a young woman and her paralysed grandfather. They make the place their own and two out of the three try to have their way with the young woman. It doesn't end well for them.

7/10

Il gatto a nove code (The Cat o' Nine Tails)
(1971)

Another early Argento giallo. This one concerns a break in at pharmaceutical company which is linked to a secret project and ultimately a handful of murders and a kidnapping. The plot was less convoluted than the last two I watched (Deep Red and The Bird with the Crystal Plumage) and it also had less horror elements than they did but I still enjoyed it a lot. The list of potential culprits was pretty long in this one which kept the levels of suspense and mystery high until the very end.

8/10

SALTIRE

Slàinte mhath!
Reaction score
Supports
A guid dram
SALTIRE What a coincidence
I've begun with Patrick O'Brian's - Aubrey and Maturin Series on my e-reader a few weeks ago
I am really a fan of seafarer novels (and Pirate movies of the 40s and 50s). Especially from the napoleonic era. I don't know why I like them so much because I am going seasick in a rowing boat on a quiet lake :D
Years ago I saw the movie with Russell Crowe as Capt Jack Aubrey and Paul Bettany as Dr.Stephen Maturin and was fascinated. Later I tried to read the books in English but I was "beaten to death" by the huge amount of nautical terms in English.
But now I've decided to give it another try and this time I am reading the books in German, it's easier for me. I've already finished the first Band "Master and Commander" (in German it is called "Kurs auf Spaniens Küste (approx: Route to Spain's Coast) and I am now in the middle of the 2nd "Post Captain (in German: Feindliche Segel (Enemy Sails).
Brilliant stuff. I like it very much. Because I saw the movies first I've always Russell Crowe as Jack Aubry and Paul Bethany as Stephen Maturin in my Head. I can't do anything against it (although Jack Aubry is more of a Goldielocks in the books and Russell Crowe isn't)

I'm a big fan of that period of history during the Napoleonic Wars, and indeed one of my great idols is a countryman of yours in Beethoven, whom I've read a number of books about and who was influential during that period. I also love naval history and will watch and read as much as I can about it, and that period for me was the peak of the age of sail. I've watched a hell of a lot of films set on sea during that time, from Moby Dick, Hornblower, HMS Defiant, all the different Mutiny on the Bounty films, and loads of pirate films as well (ok, they were a bit earlier in history). I'm also in exactly the same boat as yourself (pardon the pun) as I don't come from a seafaring family and with my vertigo I'd be useless in a gale out there (though I do want to learn to sail one of these days if possible). I suppose its the adventure and freedom it seems to give that helps entice you in, and when you hear of some of the stories of Nelson and Cochrane (whom a lot of the Patrick O'Brian books are based upon), they make for some capers!

I actually listen to the Aubrey-Maturin books on audiobooks as I go on my walks or workouts to pass the time, and you are right that to start with, the heavily techincal lingo can be difficult to distinguish, and it took me a few weeks of listening, or reading articles online about the different parts of a ship, and working out what part of a ship a mizzenmast was on, what was a topgallant sail, a royal, what the difference between a bosun and a master was etc; but once I got passed that I began to feel a bit more a part of it when listening to the books. The narrator (Patrick Tull) has also a particularly gruff voice also which lends itself well to what we assume seamen all sounded like (even though a lot of the pirate voices we hear today are done to what the actor Robert Newton decided what he thought Blackbeard should sound like), and it all draws you in all the more to the life and times of the period.

The books imo are much better when they are at sea; the one I'm on just now (The Reverse Of The Medal) takes place entirely on land and the drama falls off slightly I feel. Also O'Brian tends to finish his books very quickly when some of the objectives of the missions are done and you sometimes feel a bit empty after them, even though in a lot of them, he does resume where he left off. Anyway, even though I'm midway through now, I'm not tiring of the two lead characters (though of the side characters, Diana gets on my nerves, if you've gotten to her yet! Preserved Killick is always funny though); and I look forward as I progress to see what they get upto in later novels.

As for the actors, I kind of picture a young, much thinner Stephen Rea for Maturin, and Crowe does make a fine commanding Aubrey at sea (and he is suitably overweight in the film as Maturin is always on about Aubrey's weight in the books!), though on land, Jack is a bit of a fool, and I don't really see the more jovial aspect to his character in Crowe. I am struggling to think of someone presently who might have pulled that off on film, so Crowe I suppose is a decent choice there.

I have CS Forester's Hornblower series to go through once I've done with the Aubrey-Maturin saga as well btw! :lol:

Stevencc

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
°
4 mosche di velluto grigio (Four Flies on Grey Velvet) (1971)

A musician is being stalked and decides to confront his stalker. A coming together results in the "death" of the stalker. The musician then receives incriminating photos, strange phone calls and sees various people close to him killed. This one wasn't up to much.

6/10

Dirk

Wir kommen wieder!
Reaction score
Supports
Hamburger SV
SALTIRE Thanks for the detailed answer to my post. Enjoyed reading it
I'm a big fan of that period of history during the Napoleonic Wars, and indeed one of my great idols is a countryman of yours in Beethoven

We Germans love our Beethoven, too!

from Moby Dick, Hornblower, HMS Defiant, all the different Mutiny on the Bounty films, and loads of pirate films as well (ok, they were a bit earlier in history).

Moby Dick with Gregory Peck. Great movie and I know how much I feared Quequec with the shrunken head as a kid in the 70's when I first watched the movie on tv. It was the first time that I saw a man tattooed in the face :D and I feared the scene with Ahab bounded at Moby Dick when he dived. Gave me goosebumps.
The other ones I've seen too (I've seen most movies of this kind, even the s/w or silent ones with Douglas Fairbanks jr). The Hornblower movie with Gregory Peck (again him) is one of my favourites. Did you see the TV series with Ioan Gruffudd as Hornblower?

I actually listen to the Aubrey-Maturin books on audiobooks as I go on my walks or workouts to pass the time, and you are right that to start with, the heavily techincal lingo can be difficult to distinguish, and it took me a few weeks of listening, or reading articles online about the different parts of a ship, and working out what part of a ship a mizzenmast was on, what was a topgallant sail, a royal, what the difference between a bosun and a master was etc; but once I got passed that I began to feel a bit more a part of it when listening to the books.

I know most of the terms in German now, too. But I prefer reading instead of hearing an audio book. Normally when I hear an audiobook I can't remember what I had heard because I am asleep after minutes. Can't do anything against it.

Diana gets on my nerves, if you've gotten to her yet! Preserved Killick is always funny though); and I look forward as I progress to see what they get upto in later novels.

Diana Villiers? She's already appeared in book two. But it's nice to hear that she appears later too. I like that

I have CS Forester's Hornblower series to go through once I've done with the Aubrey-Maturin saga as well btw! :lol:

Never read the Hornblower series (but I have the complete series on my e-reader). But I am pretty sure it's Gregory Peck I would image when I read the book;)

SALTIRE

Slàinte mhath!
Reaction score
Supports
A guid dram
SALTIRE Thanks for the detailed answer to my post. Enjoyed reading it

We Germans love our Beethoven, too!

Moby Dick with Gregory Peck. Great movie and I know how much I feared Quequec with the shrunken head as a kid in the 70's when I first watched the movie on tv. It was the first time that I saw a man tattooed in the face :D and I feared the scene with Ahab bounded at Moby Dick when he dived. Gave me goosebumps.
The other ones I've seen too (I've seen most movies of this kind, even the s/w or silent ones with Douglas Fairbanks jr). The Hornblower movie with Gregory Peck (again him) is one of my favourites. Did you see the TV series with Ioan Gruffudd as Hornblower?

I know most of the terms in German now, too. But I prefer reading instead of hearing an audio book. Normally when I hear an audiobook I can't remember what I had heard because I am asleep after minutes. Can't do anything against it.

Diana Villiers? She's already appeared in book two. But it's nice to hear that she appears later too. I like that

Never read the Hornblower series (but I have the complete series on my e-reader). But I am pretty sure it's Gregory Peck I would image when I read the book;)
Yeah I saw the excellent Hornblower TV series as well, pity it was too expensive to continue as I'd like to have seen the story reach its conclusion. I'll get with that one day though after the Aubrey-Maturin saga is done. :)

Stevencc

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
°
Suspiria (1977)

Nice to look at at times but little more than that, quite the disappointment.

6/10

spireite

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Went and saw that Fantastic Beasts the other day. I was dragged, but I actually really enjoyed it. It was easy to watch, a good bit of fun and escapism and your man there does a great job of playing a low-key likable good guy . It doesn't lean too much on the Harry Potter thing too much, other than a few nods here and there, and stands up really well on it's own. I'd recommend going to watch it definitely

Stevencc

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
°
Confessions of a Psycho Cat (1968)

Fun/cheesy exploitation film. A wealthy, mentally unstable woman tracks down three men (a drug addict, a washed-up actor and a former professional wrestler) and offers them $100,000 dollars each if they are able to survive being hunted for twenty four hours in New York. A number of sex scenes from a hippy party have been spliced into the film rather jarringly.

7/10

mowgli

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe Wanderers
Ironclad 2: Battle For Blood. (2014)
Not as good as the first film but still decent with loads of gory battles scenes to enjoy.This one is set in 1221 with a northern baron and his family defending their castle from marauding Scots with the help of a handful of mercenaries. I started watching this film earlier in the year and got bored as i was pissed :lol: but sober it was a much better watch. 7/10.

markpvfc

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Went and saw that Fantastic Beasts the other day. I was dragged, but I actually really enjoyed it. It was easy to watch, a good bit of fun and escapism and your man there does a great job of playing a low-key likable good guy . It doesn't lean too much on the Harry Potter thing too much, other than a few nods here and there, and stands up really well on it's own. I'd recommend going to watch it definitely

I watched it today and thoroughly enjoyed it. 8/10

Stevencc

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
°
Tenebre (1982)

An American writer is in Rome to promote his latest novel. Whilst there he is thrown into the middle of a series of murders all of which relate to the writer and his book. Gripping plot until the end where it isn't exactly revealed as perfectly as I'd hoped it would be but there were a couple of nice twists thrown in. The murder scenes were very good in this one, all quite tasteful, you understand. Speaking of tasteful, there were a couple of very sexy actresses in the film which can't do much harm to a story! Also, the dog and the chase scene involving him were terrifying.

8/10

epic73

Reaction score
Supports
Manchester United
Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015)

Was a decent, stereotypical action movie including a scene where a bad guy fell off his motorbike and exploded.

7/10

Stevencc

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
°
6 donne per l'assassino (Blood and Black Lace) (1964)

A masked murderer stalks a fashion house, killing off a young woman early on in the film. Her diary is soon found and its potential contents begin to worry a lot of possible suspects from within the fashion house. People make their moves and more people die. The story is strong and well handled but what struck me most about this film is simply the way it looks. The visuals are stunning and the sets and locations are bathed in coloured lights (often red, like much of the props) which really creates a creepy but also vibrant and sensual atmosphere. Really well done. The killer also just looks ridiculously cool in the mask and black clothes.

9/10

Stevencc

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
°
La ragazza che sapeva troppo (The Girl Who Knew Too Much/Evil Eye) (1963)

A young woman on holiday from America witnesses a murder and becomes tangled up in a solved/but not quite solved murder case dating back to the previous decade. Not quite as stylish as the previous Bava film I'd watched, it's different type of film, but the plot was paced perfectly and I was hooked throughout. Lovely sets and locations, again.

9/10

mowgli

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe Wanderers
Red (2010)
With a cast of Bruce Willis,Morgan Freeman,John Malcovich and Helen Mirren you would expect a decent film but this awful. It tried to be a comedy and a serious film but failed in both. 4/10 and that's generous.

SALTIRE

Slàinte mhath!
Reaction score
Supports
A guid dram
Not watched any films for ages as I'm pissed off I lost my collection when my hard drive went boom the other week! Cannot be arsed getting a new one either, so fuck films!! (Until Rogue One in a few weeks :p )

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
I watched For Whom the Bell Tolls today. Ingrid Bergman has to be the most beautiful woman - ever.

SALTIRE

Slàinte mhath!
Reaction score
Supports
A guid dram
I watched For Whom the Bell Tolls today. Ingrid Bergman has to be the most beautiful woman - ever.
Always liked her, Grace Kelly, Louise Brooks and Rita Hayworth (though she had a hell of a lot of work done to stop her looking latino); all before the Sixties bombshells started out.

Stevencc

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
°
5 bambole per la luna d'agosto (5 Dolls for an August Moon/Island of Terror) (1970)

I didn't like this one and I can't think of anything particularly positive to say about it. The plot was crap and there wasn't any other aspect of the film good enough to make up for that.

5/10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!